March 28, 2024, 08:43:29 AM

Author Topic: Ambitious Scotland hints at Swansea summer exit  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ambitious Scotland hints at Swansea summer exit
« on: April 27, 2009, 07:11:20 AM »
Ambitious Scotland hints at Swansea summer exit
By Blair Wood (Western Mail)

WITH their play-off dream finally over, Swansea City have been hit by another bombshell as star striker Jason Scotland revealed he wants to leave for the Premiership this summer.

As Swans fans look to process the pain of missing out on a top-six finish following defeat at Sheffield United, the immediacy of Scotland’s announcement will come as a huge blow.

But, after two highly-successful seasons at the Liberty Stadium, the prolific front man is keen to test himself at the highest level before he passes his prime.

Having been named in the Championship’s PFA Team of the Year and with more than 50 goals to his name in two seasons at Swansea, Scotland won’t be short of potential suitors.

Middlesbrough and Fulham have already been linked to the £2m-rated striker.

The Trinidad and Tobago international accepts that, with one year left on his contract, any transfer will be on Swansea’s terms.

But, having recently celebrated his 30th birthday, he knows it could be a case of now or never for his Premiership dream.

“The Premier League is where I want to be,” he declared.

“I am contracted to Swansea for another year, but if an offer came in then I would have to take a long look at it and weigh up the options.

“I am still under contract at Swansea City and it’s up to the chairman and gaffer what happens. But if someone came in then I’d have to look at it seriously.

“Every player’s ambition is to play at the highest level and that’s the Premier League. I want to be there sooner rather than later.

“I am not getting any younger. I am 30 and managers will probably start saying I am losing half a yard because I am getting older.

“My agent said he’d heard interest from certain clubs, but he wouldn’t tell me who. He will probably speak to the manager and chairman and I guess we’ll know everything in the summer.”

While the news that Scotland, a firm fans’ favourite, wants to leave is bad enough in its own right, perhaps the biggest concern is that his comments will simply be the start of things to come for Swansea this summer.

After a phenomenal debut campaign in the Championship, a number of Roberto Martinez’s star players are being linked to moves elsewhere.

Midfield maestro Jordi Gomez, another member of the PFA Team of the Year, has been linked to a host of top clubs in recent months while his fellow Spaniard Angel Rangel has been attracting attention for some time now.

Even Ferrie Bodde, who has been out since November with a cruciate knee injury, has found his name once again being tossed into the transfer rumour mill.

The situation is such that club captain Garry Monk took the unprecedented step of publicly urging the board to offer star names better wages to try to keep them at the club.

The experienced defender is expecting several big bids to come in this summer and claimed it was imperative Swansea kept their current crop together.

But, as Scotland points out, money isn’t the only motivation players have when considering their future.

And, having failed to make the Premiership at Swansea this time around, he admitted it is his footballing ambitions that could force him to move on.

“If we were in the Premier League then you wouldn’t need to think about the interest from other clubs,” he explained.

“The gaffer wouldn’t have to fight to keep any players.

“I want to play in the Premier League before it’s too late. Obviously I wanted to do it with Swansea, which would be a massive achievement, because that would have meant I was playing week in, week out and not fighting for my place.”

As for the feelings towards the club, he added: “It has been a great two years. When I first came to Swansea there were other clubs interested, but I didn’t want to go anywhere else.

“I knew they played great football and I wanted to be a part of that. I have no regrets about coming here and it has been two outstanding seasons.

“It has been a great move for me.”

The fact Scotland has made such a big impact explains why fans will be so bitterly disappointed if he departs this summer. And it’s a disappointment you would expect Martinez to share if he were to lose one of his key players.

But, realistically, it won’t come as a surprise to the Spaniard. And it would be very naive to think that he doesn’t already have replacements lined up should the worst happen.

In his brief career as a manager, Martinez has already proved that he can bounce back from the loss of big name players.

And, just like when Lee Trundle and Andy Robinson left, it’s fair to assume he will know how to move Swansea forward with or without Scotland.

“You don’t want to keep players that are not happy,” he said when asked about a potential player exodus.

“You want to keep players who want to win football games. If players move on that’s a great compliment because it means we are doing something right.

“I will be surprised if Premier League clubs don’t come in for my players – I would take eight or nine there – but you never know what happens in football.

“Nobody was asking about them before, but I will keep improving my squad.

“We have improved the squad in every window and that’s down to recruitment at the club.”

While all the post-match focus was on players leaving and what will happen next season, neither Scotland nor Martinez would have said what they did if Swansea had emerged victorious at Bramall Lane. At least not for another week anyway.

But, against a team still fighting for automatic promotion, the Swans never really hit top gear.

And, even though they had chances to cancel out Wales international David Cotterill’s 37th-minute penalty, Dorus de Vries was definitely the busier goalkeeper.

Despite the stakes involved, neither team really got going until Cotterill scored.

And, had Monk not brought Stephen Quinn down in the box, it would have been interesting to see when desperation actually started to kick in.

Even after the goal, it wasn’t until the start of the second half, when two superb saves from de Vries denied Darius Henderson and Craig Morgan, that the game truly sprang to life.

But, while substitute Danny Webber had chances for the Blades, a Gomez volley over the bar from a quick Andrea Orlandi corner was all Swansea had to offer for their efforts.

In the end, Swansea simply didn’t know how to break down United’s defence.

And, after Rob Styles’ final whistle ended their late play-off charge, Swans fans were left wondering how many of their heroes would continue the fight next time round.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 12:32:47 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ambitious Scotland hits at Swansea summer exit
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 07:13:58 AM »
I want 2 leave my wuk but I eh tell meh Director.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:12:09 AM »
LOL!
Jason Scotland deserves to get a shot at the EPL next season! I truly honestly hope and pray he gets through with it a EPL club. He more than anyone deserves it, he has constantly broken down brick wall and benchmarks people have put before him, and made all his critics eat their words. Big up Scotty!! Keep working hard and doing TnT proud brudda!!!!

Take care.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 10:24:36 AM »
LOL!
Jason Scotland deserves to get a shot at the EPL next season! I truly honestly hope and pray he gets through with it a EPL club. He more than anyone deserves it, he has constantly broken down brick wall and benchmarks people have put before him, and made all his critics eat their words. Big up Scotty!! Keep working hard and doing TnT proud brudda!!!!

Take care.

I agree he should ply he trade in d EPL but d season eh done yet and u talkin bout d EPL d fans who have a right 2 boo Carlos say so eh go b thrilled
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 11:17:20 AM »
LOL!

Take care.

I agree he should ply he trade in d EPL but d season eh done yet and u talkin bout d EPL d fans who have a right 2 boo Carlos say so eh go b thrilled

First of all why would the fans be upset? He is described as "a firm fans' favourite". They should understand if someone is of a different class and wants to move on to better things. Secondly, Swansea has nothing to challenge for again in the season. This is the time when he needs to make his intentions clear! The sooner he attracts Premiership clubs the better his odds are of getting snapped up.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ambitious Scotland hints at Swansea summer exit
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 01:30:12 PM »
Scotty was named in the CCC team of the season today  :beermug:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 01:54:33 PM »
LOL!

Take care.

First of all why would the fans be upset? He is described as "a firm fans' favourite". They should understand if someone is of a different class and wants to move on to better things. Secondly, Swansea has nothing to challenge for again in the season. This is the time when he needs to make his intentions clear! The sooner he attracts Premiership clubs the better his odds are of getting snapped up.

Let me c my side just missed being promoted and d top goal scorer lookin 4 a gig elsewhere. Of course I doing cartwheels.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 01:57:59 PM »

The Legend "Stern John", was he on that list???

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 02:00:30 PM »

Neva kick a man when he down.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 07:23:52 PM »
poor timing of your statement Scotty...poor... the whole city feeling it...come on...yuh coulda wait 2 weeks
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 07:13:14 AM »
From 25 thousand pound transfer fee to a 2 million pounds, how can he go wrong.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 02:08:15 PM »
poor timing of your statement Scotty...poor... the whole city feeling it...come on...yuh coulda wait 2 weeks

Cosign

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 02:36:14 PM »
From 25 thousand pound transfer fee to a 2 million pounds, how can he go wrong.

+1

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 08:29:39 AM »

man llow dem kinda maccomere man scene dey
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 09:30:26 AM »

Hush yuh ass, and jump off the flucking band wagon. I respect weary's comment, but hush yuh ass, is he on that List, is his nick name not "the Legend" does he not also play in that league, low ball or no low ball question, is still a legit question, yuh macomere mad ass number 13.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 09:41:27 AM »

Hush yuh ass, and jump off the flucking band wagon. I respect weary's comment, but hush yuh ass, is he on that List, is his nick name not "the Legend" does he not also play in that league, low ball or no low ball question, is still a legit question, yuh macomere mad ass number 13.
Yuh sure is him on a bandwagon?

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 12:26:18 PM »

As meh granny will say, "Papa yow"  :devil:. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 12:44:41 PM »

I C U eh visit oui 4 a while

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 04:05:05 PM »
Mad Ras # 13, It was not cool to chew you or Stern like that. I eh go play wrong and strong. I apologize to you bredda. No need for de set ah cussin or disunity I was causing. One love  :beermug:

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 01:10:16 PM »

I C U eh visit oui 4 a while

;) ;D. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

1]; } ?>