April 25, 2024, 01:53:20 PM

Author Topic: WEBB ADMITS MISTAKE Ref admits Man Utd penalty was a mistake  (Read 1332 times)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
WEBB ADMITS MISTAKE Ref admits Man Utd penalty was a mistake
« on: April 29, 2009, 03:55:36 PM »
WEBB ADMITS MISTAKE
Ref admits Man Utd penalty was a mistake

By Soccernet staff

April 29, 2009

* Comment
    * Email
    * Print

Referee Howard Webb has admitted that the penalty which sparked Manchester United's five-goal comeback in their Premier League match against Tottenham Hotspur at Old Trafford on Saturday was a mistake.

GettyImages

The Tottenham players rage at referee Howard Webb after he awarded the penalty

With Tottenham leading 2-0 after 57 minutes and United needing a win to reclaim top spot in the league from title rivals Liverpool, Sir Alex Ferguson's men were awarded a penalty after Webb ruled that Spurs goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes had fouled Michael Carrick.

Television replays showed that the keeper managed to palm the ball away to safety before colliding with the midfielder.

Cristiano Ronaldo converted the penalty which proved to be the catalyst for United who went on to overwhelm Spurs - scoring five goals in 22 minutes - in scintillating display which sealed a 5-2 win and a return to pole position in the Premier League.

''I've looked at it again and I think it was a mistake,'' Webb told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire. ''But we make these decisions honestly. It's not always easy to see the way the play pans out from pitch level.''

The referee who was selected as England's representative to referee in last summer's Euro 2008 championships added: ''I could see the Manchester United player touch the ball and saw him get clattered by the goalkeeper but didn't see the extra deviation from the goalkeeper's fingers touching the ball.

''I'm disappointed as I always strive for perfection. I'll look at the tape in detail later in the week and try to avoid it happening again in the future.

''I never want to have a negative impact on a game and I get no pleasure from not reaching the high standards we set ourselves.''

After the game, Spurs midfielder Jermaine Jenas criticised Webb's decision saying the referee ''crumbled under pressure.''

The Football Association have given Jenas seven days to explain his remarks, failure to do satisfactorily could see him hit with a disciplinary charge.

Jenas said: ''The atmosphere, the occasion, the importance of the match; a lot of factors take their toll when making decisions. One thing which struck me was that he didn't even think. It was like he'd already made his mind up when he came out for the second half that he was going to give something.

It is doubtful that Webb's acceptance that he made an error will have any bearing on Jenas's case.

Webb will get the chance to re-establish his credentials as England's best referee on Sunday when he takes charge of the highly-pressurised game between Reading and Birmingham City.

The match is crucial for both sides as it comes on the last day of the Championship season and could earn the winner automatic promotion to the Premier League.
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: WEBB ADMITS MISTAKE Ref admits Man Utd penalty was a mistake
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 03:56:48 PM »
webb boy ah kinna believe yuh. take ah red card 4 that still
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 04:04:40 PM »
that's how de cookie crumbles.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 04:08:23 PM »
as soon as he make that call the commentator said....

"you get the feeling that if the score was 1-1 and not 2-0 to spurs, the referee would not make that call!"

and to me that sum it up nicely..

bet your bottom dollar, if the tables were turned and he saw the incident from the exact same angle, viewpoint and in the exact same way as he did, Webb was never giving that penalty to send Spurs up 3-0. Is just ah ingrained bias with them fellahs and is almost ALWAYS Man Utd who is de beneficiaries.

EPL referees is the bane of the Premier league right now.

Best they outsource refereeing to some foreigners.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
''I've looked at it again and I think it was a mistake,'' Webb told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire. ''But we make these decisions honestly. It's not always easy to see the way the play pans out from pitch level.''

The referee who was selected as England's representative to referee in last summer's Euro 2008 championships added: ''I could see the Manchester United player touch the ball and saw him get clattered by the goalkeeper but didn't see the extra deviation from the goalkeeper's fingers touching the ball.

''I'm disappointed as I always strive for perfection. I'll look at the tape in detail later in the week and try to avoid it happening again in the future.

''I never want to have a negative impact on a game and I get no pleasure from not reaching the high standards we set ourselves.''

That's how it goes...

In my opinion we would have went on to score at least 3 anyway...we were rampant from the get go of the second half

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 04:26:06 PM »
i beg to differ small mag. manu came out 2nd half like they smell blood and was attack after attack after attack. if that wave of attack had not  yielded a goal( the penalty in this case). the game would have played out differently. thats just how it goes in football
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 05:32:18 PM by freakazoid »

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 07:33:03 AM »
hmmm ... men singing a different song song now.
glory glory??
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 08:13:28 AM »
Momentum in football is a hell of a thing. The penalty (mistake or not) definetely played a part in that comeback, but Man U started that half (particularly with the intro of Tevez) a much hungrier team and it was just a matter of time before the pressure would of buss de pipe.
The fact that it was not just 1 or 2 goals Man U scored after the penalty, but 4, IMO, Spurs would have still wilted under the pressure.
In the second half alone it was 12 shots to 3 for United....5 goals!

well yes

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 08:41:27 AM »
Momentum in football is a hell of a thing. The penalty (mistake or not) definetely played a part in that comeback, but Man U started that half (particularly with the intro of Tevez) a much hungrier team and it was just a matter of time before the pressure would of buss de pipe.
The fact that it was not just 1 or 2 goals Man U scored after the penalty, but 4, IMO, Spurs would have still wilted under the pressure.
In the second half alone it was 12 shots to 3 for United....5 goals!

That MIGHT be true.......but how many times u see games where a side dominating, chance after chance after chance and they just cah seem to get it in the net....but they finally break thru in like the 80th min, and then floodgates open and game end up like 3 or 4-0?

To me that's what happened here, except it was the ref who opened the floodgates. Had he not erroneously given that penalty, Spurs would have gained confidence as the match went on, and Utd wud have, in turn, become increasingly frustrated. They may have increased in desperation in the later stages, and leave openings in the defence where maybe even Spurs might have added to their lead on the counter. That penalty allowed Man U to relax and truly believe that they would overturn the deficit.

Now I am not saying that Man U would not have won the game if the penalty wasn't given. But just imagine if Man U were only able to break through in the 89th min, as opposed to the 57th min, when the penalty was awarded. What would be the likelihood of such a comeback then?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:48:06 AM by trinikev »
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

1]; } ?>