April 29, 2024, 04:42:53 AM

Author Topic: Covigne Road locked down as...  (Read 5577 times)

truetrini

Covigne Road locked down as...
« on: April 30, 2009, 03:41:47 AM »
Covigne Road locked down as...
Cousins killed by cops
Geisha Kowlessar | 8:39 pm
Published: April 30, 2009

Residents step aside as heavily-armed soldiers walk through Covigne Road in Diego Martin yesterday. PHOTO: KARLA RAMOO
Geisha Kowlessar | 8:39 pm

Masked and carrying semi-automatic weapons, a contingent of soldiers, walking through Covigne Road in Diego Martin yesterday, commanded respect in the crime-riddled community. The soldiers were deployed in the area shortly after the killing of two men. Kendell “Pooh Bear” Charles, 26, and his cousin Kevon Charles, 24, aka “Wounded,” were killed during a reported shoot-out with law enforcement officers around 6 am.

Police said Kevon was the leader of the Covigne Road Gang and was being sought in connection with a series of offences including murder, drug trafficking, gun possession, robbery and shooting with intent. According to investigators, officers from the Joint Army Police Patrol (Japp) received information and swooped down on a shack at Upper Covigne Road.

Police said Kevon was dressed in full army fatigue. The officers said while they were approaching the shack, they were shot at, after which they returned fire. After the shooting, a semi-automatic weapon, a revolver, an army jacket and a quantity of cocaine and marijuana were found in the shack.

Describing Kevon as well known, officers claimed he was the mastermind behind several murders in the district, including those of rival gang members. The incident caused West End police to conduct several exercises—raiding homes and seeking out gang members. Police netted 15 people who, they said, were wanted for questioning in connection with several offences, including murders. Interviewed yesterday, one of Kevon’s uncles described him as a “gangster” who was prepared to “go down shooting.”

“Is true my nephew was a gangster and involve in illegal activity and he prepare himself to get kill anytime,” the uncle, who asked not to be identified said. The uncle also admitted that Kevon was also wanted for a series of murders. While acknowledging his nephew’s misdeeds, the uncle, however, claimed Kevon used to sell marijuana and part of the proceeds went to particular police officers attached to the Western Division. “He was in racket but not by himself...He was in it with some police,” the man said. “He tell me somebody get pay to kill him and he going down shooting.”

Uneasy presence

For the greater part of yesterday, police and soldiers locked down Covigne Road searching for illegal firearms and bullet-proof vests. But in the midst of conducting searches, the lawmen were greeted with hostility by some residents. As armed soldiers walked through the community, residents converged on the pavement.

They hurled obscenities at the soldiers demanding that they remove their masks. “Look what this place coming to...After police kill the boys they burn down the shack, it did not have to reach to this,” said a pensioner. Like other residents of crime-riddled communities, people complained of inaction by the police when reports of shooting were made.

“In these kind of communities the police don’t come, like they afraid...That is the norm and we accept that,” the resident said. But the majority of people, however, said the heavy army presence brought a sense of respect that was lacking for far too long in the community. “That is how we have to deal with them fellas, with brute force because they killing with brute force,” another resident said.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Covigne Road locked down as...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 04:38:01 AM »
Describing Kevon as well known, officers claimed he was the mastermind behind several murders in the district, including those of rival gang members.

Ah find is plenty time dem fellas does be described as well known by de police. If dat is de case, how come dey does be allowed to run wild so? Is it a lack of resources?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 05:12:11 AM »
I saw that headline "offline" this morning yes.....geez and ages I goh really have to stop going up by my cousin yes.  I've never felt personally threatned before, but damn boy....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Montjoy

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 05:15:12 AM »
While acknowledging his nephew’s misdeeds, the uncle, however, claimed Kevon used to sell marijuana and part of the proceeds went to particular police officers attached to the Western Division. “He was in racket but not by himself...He was in it with some police,” the man said. “He tell me somebody get pay to kill him and he going down shooting.”

This is the part that I find disturbing and needs to be addressed. >:(

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 05:43:52 AM »
While acknowledging his nephew’s misdeeds, the uncle, however, claimed Kevon used to sell marijuana and part of the proceeds went to particular police officers attached to the Western Division. “He was in racket but not by himself...He was in it with some police,” the man said. “He tell me somebody get pay to kill him and he going down shooting.”

Trinidad disgusts me, plain and simple, I not feeling like going into some long elaboration now.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 06:08:25 AM »

it aint any different in other part of the world..corrupt cops..whats new

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 07:02:06 AM »
Tallman's question and the uncle's quote about Charles not being in it by himself are instructive in leading us to a wider problem with regards to crime in this country. Despite how we delude ourselves ( ;) ) T&T is not that big an island that these fairly unsophisticated murders should go unsolved. Quite often the people in the community and members of our law enforcement know exactly who is responsible for a lot of crimes. I remember an unconfirmed story about a known criminal being arrested and released from the police station when an inspector apparently said, "nah, too much paper work for him. We go deal with he on the streets." The man was apparently connected to organised crime in the east-west corridor and known to the police. The problem isn't resources, it is a culture lacking in law enforcement. We let things build up to a head and then come crashing down on it brutally and excessively. Look how this presence in Covigne will last for a brief time and then we don't see police in there again for months.

There is corruption in the force and just like street crimes many of these corrupt officers are known. We don't fire anyone in the public service unless they cuss the Prime Minister, so you can get caught stealing and basically get away with a reprimand and a transfer to a different (usually smaller) department. Again, no enforcement and even worse... no consequences.

We can blame the government, but we take away responsibility from many others who are also responsible.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 08:27:03 AM »
Describing Kevon as well known, officers claimed he was the mastermind behind several murders in the district, including those of rival gang members.

Ah find is plenty time dem fellas does be described as well known by de police. If dat is de case, how come dey does be allowed to run wild so? Is it a lack of resources?

Dey lack d evidence dey informers does give dem d info dey doh provide d evidence
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 08:28:16 AM »

it aint any different in other part of the world..corrupt cops..whats new

Nah we alone have corrupt police.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 05:52:39 PM »

Trinidad disgusts me, plain and simple, I not feeling like going into some long elaboration now.
[/b]
 thank god for small mercies
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 06:23:13 PM »

[/b]
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 02:10:39 AM »

[/b]

lol

1]; } ?>