April 24, 2024, 05:34:57 AM

Author Topic: Swansea Will Not Be Held to Ransom  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
Swansea Will Not Be Held to Ransom
« on: May 03, 2009, 07:39:46 AM »
http://www.planetswans.co.uk/Article.aspx?ArticleID=9439

Swans Happy To Let Scotland Go On A Free

May 03 2009 07:52 by Phil Sumbler

Huw Jenkins says that the Swans will let Jason Scotland go on a free next summer - but only if they have to

The Swansea City Chairman insists that the club will not be held to ransom over any wage demands and will only pay any player what they believe he is worth.

He also insists that he will not be drawn into paying more than that worth just because the player may have a value on his head within the transfer market.

Scotland has got one year left on his current Liberty Stadium deal and has already been linked with moves to Middlesbrough and Fulham after an impressive two years in South Wales.

Speaking to News of the World, Jenkins said "Jason is contracted to us for another 12 months, we'll deal with his situation this summer.  We'll sit down with Jason and his agent and have a conversation about his future.   He's had a great season, scored lots of goals and made the Championship team of the year.

"Jason's agent is now looking to get him a better deal and that's only natural.   We'll talk to Jason when the time is right.

"He's been a terrific signing for Swansea, nobody will argue with that.  He's our top goalscorer so of course we want to retain him for as long as we can but there's no rush to do anything.

"If we can't agree a deal, he can walk away at the end of his contract - that's what we did with Andy Robinson last year.

"We're not going to agree to a player's demands because he might be worth something in the transfer market.  That's not the way we operate.  We do what we think is right for Swansea City.

"A player could leave the club for nothing because his contract is coming to an end but we don't take that into consideration when we discuss wages.  Jason might leave at the end of next season on a free transfer but we could be going into the Premier League.

"Our priority at the moment is to bring in some new players.   We're looking to strengthen the squad ready for next season.  We've got to get stronger each year.  When Roberto has brought in a few new signings then we will sit down and talk to Jason."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Swansea Will Not Be Held to Ransom
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 07:46:05 AM »
Why Jenkins trying tuh put shit in de man game?  Scotland ent make no salary demands, his EPL musings is about a desire to play on a bigger stage before the window of opportunity closes... not some backhand way of extorting more money out of Swansea.

steups... now self ah want Scotland to leave dey ass.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 07:47:27 AM »
sounds like they looking for replacements

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 07:50:43 AM »
Why Jenkins trying tuh put shit in de man game?  Scotland ent make no salary demands, his EPL musings is about a desire to play on a bigger stage before the window of opportunity closes... not some backhand way of extorting more money out of Swansea.

The gist I get from it is that, behind the scenes, Scotty agent done start to talk big money.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 07:52:43 AM »

The gist I get from it is that, behind the scenes, Scotty agent done start to talk big money.

Well I dunno what going on behind the scenes but to me it more seems like Scotland realize he's 30 and this is his shot at making some hay while the sun still shining on his career.  Of course going to the EPL would mean a bigger payday as well, so I really don't see this as being about a pay raise to stay at Swansea.

But who knows...

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 08:06:21 AM »
Yeah it all make sense now:

1) Berry negotiating a new contract for Scotty so he tryign to get a big pay raise.
2) Swansea not wiling to go as high as Berry want, especially as they didn't get the money for promotion.
3) Berry advise Scotty that in order to get them worried, YOU make it sound like u have offers that u willing to discuss to get them scared of losing you.
4) Meantime, I (Berry) will make a statement saying that Swansea is the best place for my client so they will like me and figure i on their side thus be more amiable at the negotiating table, cause it really eh have no offers for you Scotty, we just grandcharging.

And that is all that going on here...a set of gamesmanship to get Berry more money.

But Swansea not taking chain up cause the wage demands probably real high. I sure Berry want to make Scotty the highest paid player at the club most likely, and possibly on par with other top goalscores in the division.

Not that anything wrong with that, is all part and parcel of the profession.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 08:16:51 AM »
If scotland was younger they would have given into his demands .... i am sure about that
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 11:31:17 AM »
Y Berry is still he agent LOUD STEUPS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 11:37:19 AM »
Berry didn't get any kind of ban or sanction after the ruling exposing his secret deals?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 11:50:18 AM »
Berry didn't get any kind of ban or sanction after the ruling exposing his secret deals?

Probably just a fine from the PFA.  Here in the US professional leagues have the power to 'certify' agents... or give them permission to represent players in the respective leagues.  This also means that the leagues have the ability to 'decertify' or ban them as well.  Hopefully the FA has the same powers because this man has a very disturbing track record when it comes to professional ethics.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 01:51:34 PM »

Probably just a fine from the PFA.  Here in the US professional leagues have the power to 'certify' agents... or give them permission to represent players in the respective leagues.  This also means that the leagues have the ability to 'decertify' or ban them as well.  Hopefully the FA has the same powers because this man has a very disturbing track record when it comes to professional ethics.

Didnt he (Berry) make comments last week about Scotty not wanting to leave but he find that the club should extend his contract? This is just the chairman's response to his probably inflated monetary request. I with you Weary as to why Berry is still Scotty agent??? :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

1]; } ?>