April 26, 2024, 11:40:53 PM

Poll

Who will be European Champions

Barcelona
42 (58.3%)
Manchester United
30 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Thread for the Manchester United vs FC Barcelona Game (27-May-09).  (Read 63409 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Iniesta MAJOR DOUBT for Champions League Final...
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 08:12:13 PM »
Last night I was watching some highlights from the 2001 U-17 WC in T&T. Is then I noticed that Iniesta was on that team too.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for the Manchester United vs FC Barcelona Game (27-May-09).
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2009, 10:39:36 AM »
He should make it..

My spanish eh so hot..buh according to google translations...

Iniesta will be in Roma.El barcelonista Andrés Iniesta is convinced that will be able to play the end of the Champions before the Manchester United, the next one 27 of May in Rome, since suffers "a small one roturita" muscular of two centimeters in the straight previous one of the right leg

From wha i read on some fan sites......small rupture...he should be ok time 27th. Copa del rey outta de question doh. And today is de man birthday.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2009, 10:31:32 AM »
Iniesta handed fitness boost
Barca star hopeful of facing United despite injury scare.

Andres Iniesta is confident he will be fit for the UEFA Champions League final against Manchester United after tests revealed that his injury is not as serious as first thought.

The Blaugrana midfielder limped out of the 3-3 draw against Villarreal on Sunday and initial examinations saw club medics state that he could be a doubt for the showpiece encounter in Rome later this month.

But a new round of tests on Monday have confirmed that Iniesta has suffered only a "small tear" to the muscle in his right leg and that he will recover quickly.

"It is good news," Sport quote the player as stating as he passed reporters following a visit to the clinic.

It is an injury in the same place as the one that the playmaker suffered in November and sidelined him for two months, but this time the news is more positive.

Iniesta will miss the Copa del Rey final on Wednesday against Athletic Bilbao and Pep Guardiola will be cautious about how many appearances he makes before the end of the league season.

Barcelona already have Rafa Marquez and Gaby Milito out of the Champions League final on 27th May through injury, while Thierry Henry is facing a race to be fit and Eric Abidal and Dani Alves are suspended.

Més que un club.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2009, 01:48:45 PM »
Why this must be the dream UCL final
By Les Murray | 13 May 2009 | 12:02

Link

And, understandably, the deluge will continue.

Fortune this year has brought us rare and treasured ingredients, and therefore prospects, for a fixture we look upon annually as the supposed measure of the game’s modern quality. The UCL’s ultimate and deciding game, given that the tournament engages the world’s richest teams and its best players, surely has to be nothing less than that.

This time it’s between Manchester United and Barcelona, a fixture whose setting is equally apt, la citta eterna, Rome.

One team is, by deed and title, the best in the world. The other, by popular conclusion, is the world’s most watchable.

The match will parade, on opposite sides, the world’s two most admired players, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, both iconic figures of extraordinary creative gifts, which can turn a game and be the difference between winning and not winning such a sought-after trophy.

Both teams, by their own traditions and ideologies, are respected and are expected to play in a way that will please the tumult of billions who live in hope that football, at this apex, will deliver what it is meant to.

But, of course, not all agree with this notion, the notion that two teams who subscribe to a passing game, who believe in technical and cerebral creativity as a route to victory, and who cling to these principles as matters of club identity, are the most appropriate to contest a Champions League final.

For my last column, while exploring the virtues of the FFA’s new national curriculum, we used the heading: ‘And one day we, too, can play like Barcelona,’ arguing that, just maybe, the revolutionary curriculum will take Australia finally to a level of technical competitiveness we have always sought.

As I read the comments readers made in response to the article, one took my breath away: ‘And one day we, too, can play like Barcelona? What? Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass and never shoot? I hope not. Give me the blood, guts and passion of the EPL any day.’

As bizarre as this observation was, given that Barca had scored an astonishing and unrivaled volume of goals this season (including six against Real Madrid a few days before this comment was posted), the reader had a right to make it.

He was only expressing his personal taste, articulating a certain view about what constitutes entertainment in football. He prefers the bruising, physical and incongruous clatter, the fire and brimstone of the EPL, to the way Barcelona pin-ball their way to their victories.

Fine. That is his view. Beauty, after all, is in the eye of the beholder, even in football. I have, I guess, no more right to declare that Barcelona is the most entertaining football team on the planet at this time than someone else has of saying Stoke City is.

But still there needs to be a reality check.

Those of us whose business involves the promotion of football – and I have been part of that business for three decades – need to draw on and highlight the unique qualities football has which set it apart from other sports, especially in this country, the other so-called football ‘codes’ with which football competes.

There needs to be a historical understanding of why football conquered most of the world in the first place and, for example, rugby did not.

Those differences are many. But first among them is that football is a game in which the ball is manipulated by the feet and which, by extension, means that in football the skill needed to manipulate that ball is paramount.

Indeed that is the very essence of the game.

A major reason why football conquered across the world over a century ago, especially the working classes, is that it’s uniquely accessible to all: poor, rich, skinny, fat, short, tall, man, woman.

This ecumenical virtue nominates pure ability, individual and collective, as the governing factor that determines victory or defeat in a game. Size, physical power, muscle and aggression can play a part in deciding a football game’s outcome. But on their own their role is minor.

Those virtues are determining factors in rugby, AFL and NFL but not in football. In rugby you cannot survive if you are skinny. In AFL you are a loser if you are short and in gridiron you have to be man mountain before you can make a buck.

But this is not the case in football.

What is the virtue that links Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi, Tevez, Kaká, Torres and Fabregas, whose physical attributes are utterly disparate? It is their skill and creative ability, and ultimately their capacity to manipulate the sphere, of course.

It is this that sets football apart. If we were to admire footballers and football teams only or primarily for their power, physique and capacity to mix it, we may as well be talking about rugby. And then, you may well ask, why are we being football fans at all?

In the Australian context, and in the context of the mission to entice our countrymen to appreciate and value the distinctive beauties of the beautiful game, this Champions League final is magnificently opportune.

If the pairing’s virtues live up to their prescriptions, if the ingredients are indeed right, if the coaches don’t corrupt the glorious opportunity with regressive tactics, this fixture will be a monument to the efforts of those who have long talked in hope of vindication that football is beautiful.

It is important, very important, that this final lives up to its billing.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2009, 10:45:23 PM »

;D
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2009, 07:13:31 AM »
the way how man u playing against arsenal right now. is how they r going to play against barca
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2009, 07:23:47 AM »
Barca will carve open that back four.

Més que un club.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2009, 07:29:49 AM »
 :heehee: lol
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2009, 07:37:32 AM »

So all yuh already give the ref an advancement  :devil:

giggsy11

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2009, 07:58:59 AM »

United's back 4 better than Barca's, even if Rio is missing. Didn't Pique just start tuh playing football?

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2009, 03:05:07 PM »
Rio will be present

Dont compare Utd's back 4 of today ( at home with a point needed to win a league) vs CL Final squad (hungry, ready to retain the cup)

The back 4 vs Barca will be very up for the ask at hand...hope your defenders can cope with us as well

But again..I like it when you lot underestimate United....many have made that mistake..and subsequently paid the price

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2009, 04:54:26 PM »

But again..I like it when you lot underestimate United....many have made that mistake..and subsequently paid the price

hahaha- the way you talk there you'd swear Man U is some pee-on lower level scrapping and fighting cinderella football club...

I've never heard anyone seriously underestimate Man United, outside of silly gun talk for fun.  There are some teams that you never underestimate and obviously Man U is one of them.

Someone say drama queen? lol

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 04:58:46 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2009, 04:58:12 PM »

hahaha

I've never heard of anyone seriously underestimate Man United, outside of silly gun talk for fun.  There are some teams that you never underestimate and obviously Man U is one of them.

Kicker... if Utd play Chelsea Livers Barca Real or any top team in each league ... the ABU'S( Anybody but United) call a win for the opposition... is just haters but I know Barca the team will not underestimate us..No team will  as we will not underestimate any top club

Scroll up... "Barca are going to rip into that Utd back 4"  that is underestimation

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2009, 05:01:40 PM »

hahaha

I've never heard of anyone seriously underestimate Man United, outside of silly gun talk for fun.  There are some teams that you never underestimate and obviously Man U is one of them.

Kicker... if Utd play Chelsea Livers Barca Real or any top team in each league ... the ABU'S( Anybody but United) call a win for the opposition... is just haters but I know Barca the team will not underestimate us..No team will  as we will not underestimate any top club

Scroll up... "Barca are going to rip into that Utd back 4"  that is underestimation

haha I hear you....You studyin' goofy though?  One setta gun talk on the forum and behind de scenes his bamsee twitchin like never before...I have instant message excerpts as proof if ah ever need tuh blackmail his arse lol....

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2009, 10:26:12 PM »
Man Utd can clinch the quadruple..... or Barcelona can be the first spanish team to win a treble. Nice.....either way....

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2009, 03:11:11 PM »
Ferguson and Guardiola- two contrasting managers

Marc Guillén

The Rome final sees two very different managers pitting their wits against each other – Sir Alex Ferguson, Manchester United manager for the last 23 years, and Pep Guardiola, who joined Barça 25 years ago, but is still in his first year as manager.

When Alex Ferguson made his debut in Europe with Aberdeen, Josep Guardiola was just 7 years old, since then the Scot has never stopped managing and Pep has never stopped learning what it means to be a part of FC Barcelona.

Three titles

One thing can’t be questioned about Pep – his fantastic record: in two years he’s won every trophy he’s been involved in as a manager. Last year he took the Barca reserves to a third division title and this year he’s taken the first team to a historic domestic league and cup double. What’s more he’s done it by keeping true to the club’s tradition of attacking football, a tradition he has been brought up on since he first joined the club, as he commented recently: “we are as clear as water – we always play in the same way”.

United’s most successful boss
 Ferguson joined United in November 1987 and although his past with various smaller clubs in Scotland and the successful European Cup Winners Cup winning Aberdeen had given no special indication of any special link with the Old Trafford club he went on to become the club’s most successful manager and an emblematic figure for them.

11 EPL titles

It took Fergusson six years to win a title for United, but since then he has chalked up a total of 11 Premier League titles (out of a club total of 18). Fergusson’s strong character was always a constant, but he also showed considerable skill in molding a series of teams who were both secure at the back and exciting going forward.

If they win….

If Barca take the title, Pep Guardiola, 38, will become the third youngest manager to take Europe’s top trophy. Only two managers, both for Real Madrid, have taken the title at a younger age: Pepe Vilallonga, who won the European Cup in 1956 and Miguel Muñoz, who was a few days younger than Guardiola when he won it in 1960.

In contrast, if United win, it will make Ferguson, who is 68, the second oldest manager to win the title, behind only Raymond Coethals who won the Cup in 1993 with Olympic Marseilles when he was 72.
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2009, 03:56:09 PM »

You studyin' goofy though?  One setta gun talk on the forum and behind de scenes his bamsee twitchin like never before...I have instant message excerpts as proof if ah ever need tuh blackmail his arse lol....

REALLY!!

Més que un club.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2009, 06:17:49 PM »

hahaha

United is probably the biggest club on the planet as far as fan base is concerned, and the most dominant club in England, so its natural that many people want to see them lose. but noon actually thinks Chelsea, Liverpool etc are superior to United. Not today's version of United anyway. And if you check around, United are actually favored to win the CL final. And rightly so. They are the defending champs and eased into the final. They have more depth and experience than Barca. BUt the ABU (didn't even know such a thing existed) will want Barca and Barca also play a type of football that a certain type of fan romanticizes. I'm pretty sure Barca is the slight favorite in terms of neutral fan support globally. But everyone, including Barca fans would consider a Barca win a slight upset, especially if Iniesta and Henry don't recover or aren't 100%. At the end of the day..look where people putting their money..ManU are odds on favorites to win.

Sempre Barca!

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2009, 06:30:01 PM »
sorry cant ever see how the a barca team winning is an upset. thats too strong a word to  use

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2009, 07:05:59 PM »
sorry cant ever see how the a barca team winning is an upset. thats too strong a word to  use

Ent!
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2009, 07:49:45 PM »

Ent!

Well ahem !! using performances against villareal as a guide, United should sneak away with this one  shouldn't they ?

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »

But everyone, including Barca fans would consider a Barca win a slight upset, especially if Iniesta and Henry don't recover or aren't 100%. At the end of the day..look where people putting their money..ManU are odds on favorites to win.

a barca win would be a slight upset? what a laugh.... :rotfl:

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2009, 07:16:53 AM »

But everyone, including Barca fans would consider a Barca win a slight upset, especially if Iniesta and Henry don't recover or aren't 100%. At the end of the day..look where people putting their money..ManU are odds on favorites to win.

Calm down people. Maybe 'upset' by itself is the wrong word, but I said 'slight upset' meaning ManU has an edge when you consider Barca may be without Henry and Iniesta as well as Alvez and Abidal. Upset doh mean they overcame catastrophic odds..it just means they overcome some kind off odds..and by putting 'slight' before 'upset' you should know I not saying the gap all dat wide. Allyuh like ting eh?  ;D

Seriously, does anyone not think Barca without Abidal, Alvez, Henry and Iniesta represents a recognizable dip in quality.  Barca is a great at full strength, but I for one would be a bit worried if Iniesta and Henry aren't near 100% on the day of the final, or worse yet, one or both can't play. Especially Iniesta. Look at the team Barca put out against Chelsea when they were missing Puyol and Henry (not mentioning Mrquez since I find Pique handling it). I wouldn't expect that 11 (with keita and Busquets in mf, and Yaya in the back ??? ???) to win the CL, so I will be pleasantly surprised if Barca could put out an 11 without those 4 (even with the return of Puyol) and beat United. Take out the equivalent 4 starters from manU and tell me it wouldn't be at least a 'slight upset' if they beat a full strength Barca. At least dais how I see it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 07:25:41 AM by Filho »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2009, 07:17:44 AM »

Ent!

Well ahem !! using performances against villareal as a guide, United should sneak away with this one  shouldn't they ?

sarcasm?

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2009, 08:23:27 AM »

Calm down people. Maybe 'upset' by itself is the wrong word, but I said 'slight upset' meaning ManU has an edge when you consider Barca may be without Henry and Iniesta as well as Alvez and Abidal. Upset doh mean they overcame catastrophic odds..it just means they overcome some kind off odds..and by putting 'slight' before 'upset' you should know I not saying the gap all dat wide. Allyuh like ting eh?  ;D

Seriously, does anyone not think Barca without Abidal, Alvez, Henry and Iniesta represents a recognizable dip in quality.  Barca is a great at full strength, but I for one would be a bit worried if Iniesta and Henry aren't near 100% on the day of the final, or worse yet, one or both can't play. Especially Iniesta. Look at the team Barca put out against Chelsea when they were missing Puyol and Henry (not mentioning Mrquez since I find Pique handling it). I wouldn't expect that 11 (with keita and Busquets in mf, and Yaya in the back ??? ???) to win the CL, so I will be pleasantly surprised if Barca could put out an 11 without those 4 (even with the return of Puyol) and beat United. Take out the equivalent 4 starters from manU and tell me it wouldn't be at least a 'slight upset' if they beat a full strength Barca. At least dais how I see it.

I feel you just managing your own expectations so you don't get too devastated with a loss  :devil:
Let's be honest,  no way iniesta missing this match. He's the heartbeat of the team and will be on the field, even at half strength.

And I dunno if iz just me but I find Man U not really clicking on all cylinders either... einning big games on some spectacular free kicks and long range lasers
They have the best player, defense and coach. But Barca has the second best player, playmaker and attack.
A good match-up
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2009, 08:27:07 AM »

the ABU'S( Anybody but United) call a win for the opposition... is just haters

Filho, I feel yuh had to take some Eno's or Andrew's for that upset yuh talking bout.

Més que un club.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2009, 09:18:01 AM »

I feel you just managing your own expectations so you don't get too devastated with a loss  :devil:
Let's be honest,  no way iniesta missing this match. He's the heartbeat of the team and will be on the field, even at half strength.

And I dunno if iz just me but I find Man U not really clicking on all cylinders either... einning big games on some spectacular free kicks and long range lasers
They have the best player, defense and coach. But Barca has the second best player, playmaker and attack.
A good match-up

Haha. I wouldn't feel that bad hoss. I honestly kinda glad they just in the final. Plus, I also expect this Barca to get better over the next few years. I just trying to be objective (and maybe manage expectations a little  :devil:). Just as some may think I'm being too conservative in my assessment of Barca, I think most are getting carried away at how good they think this Barca squad is. I agree that with the strongest 11 out there, I like Barca's chances against anyone. But which part of 'IF Iniesta and Henry don't play' is all that confusing? If they play, I readjust my opinion of Barca's chances. But without them, Barca is not as good as some of you make them out to be. Even the loss of Alvez and Abidal changes Barca's shape big time. Especially the loss of the Brazilian. He is a big part of Barac's attack and creates a lot of room for Messi with his runs from deep. Add to that the loss of Iniesta and Henry and Barca cannot play the type of football that has gotten them to this point. So while you say Iniesta must play, I am only saying what I think are simple facts..Barca without Alvez, Abidal, and possible Henry and Iniesta is a substantially weakened side. No excuses. Big sides hadda deal. If ManU lost Rooney, Evra and a couple other key starters, and Barca was full strength, I'd say Barca is a clear favorite to win and I could care less who United missing. So I doh expect united fans to care who Barca missing. It is a reality of a long season and you need quality teams with the requisite depth. But until i see henry and/or Iniesta step on that field and moving freely, i lil nervous bout Barca chances. I can't imagine the fan o any team missing Iniesta, henry, Alvez and Abidal type players not worrying a little how that will affect their squad. Now if henry and Iniest stpe on the field, or even just Iniesta, bess believe I will be feeling a bit more positive
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:44:05 AM by Filho »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2009, 09:53:42 AM »
Now see Rio struggling for fitness. That would be a big loss to manU. Even if he starts, he may not be 100%. Same thing I was saying...reality of a long season.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2009, 09:54:35 AM »
If Man U is favored, which I think they are.... if Barca wins it's an upset.  simple.

I think people are confusing upset, with suprise.

This is a Goliath v Goliath match up so there will be no surprises (other than a dread blowout on either end)

With Barca's injuries & suspensions, and after viewing how Chelsea frustrated Barca's fluidity, add to that the somewhat EPL biased sentiment in the mainstream resulting from Chelsea's bout of weeping & moaning....I would think that the majority are leaning toward Man U winning this one...(that last part is just my perception).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:57:38 AM by kicker »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2009, 10:00:24 AM »
If Man U is favored, which I think they are.... if Barca wins it's an upset.  simple.

I think people are confusing upset, with suprise.

This is a Goliath v Goliath match up so there will be no surprises (other than a dread blowout on either end)

With Barca's injuries & suspensions, and after viewing how Chelsea frustrated Barca's fluidity, add to that the somewhat EPL biased sentiment in the mainstream resulting from exacerbated by Chelsea's bout of weeping & moaning....I would think that the majority are leaning toward Man U winning this one...(that last part is just my perception).

one change for yuh

1]; } ?>