April 28, 2024, 06:16:03 AM

Author Topic: Under-20's went down 2-0 this morning in 2nd game vs South Korea  (Read 6445 times)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Under-20's went down 2-0 this morning in 2nd game vs South Korea
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2009, 06:15:23 PM »
nah man..ah cyar believe what  some of allyuh saying here..nah man

relax..let de kids play...relax
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2009, 06:33:37 PM »
This is good news, at least they are playing against world class opposition to get a feel for where improvements are neeeded. Much better than playing against poor opposition that leads you into a false sense of your talent level.

This is the only way for T&T footbal to progress. Play teams above your level to raise your level. Good thing we having these matches before hand !

I guess what pardners and mehself sayin....is yes....de team have to play dese matches for them to raise their level to prepare them for this level of competition and this is a good thing.  But is the coaching staff raising THEIR level at a comparable level?
At this stage of the game, should the coaching staff have to be learning as they go along while simultaneously trying to raise the players level to the required standard?

OR

Should they (coaching staff) already be at a stage of expertise and experience where they can help raise the players to the standard to where they need to be?

Well maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I guess the proof will be in the pudding when they take the field in Egypt....Then we'll be able to see what improvements (or lack thereof) have occured. Ideally I wud hope that the coaches have/had enough experience to know what was required, and that the players just needed to really get a taste of it themselves to raise their fitness, intensity and effort to the required level. I haven't seen the games, so I am in no position to pass judgement on whether or not the coaching staff is good enough. But I'm sure we'll find out soon enough whether or not this is another area where we are falling short.

But realistically breddrin, who on we coachin staff have that experience?  From where?  With whom? 

Well on paper it doesn't seem like anyone on the staff has that experience. However it seems like Vranes has been doing relatively well with the youths so far, and they seem to be responding to him, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt before i say he not good enough. And I doh think it make sense to change coaching staff at this juncture anyways. I think, with these warm-ups especially, that the boys will acquit themselves very well in Egypt and make us all proud.   :beermug:
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2009, 06:44:08 PM »
Vranes took this team to virtual parity with the best of the best in CONCACAF. IMO with the right support from the TTFF, which he appears to be getting at the present time, he and the team are capable of going as far as the Costa Rica, the US and Honduras can.

Though I wish them well and support them, the CONCACAF competition will be of little measure IMHO.
T&T were at home and the games were on an artificial surface. They won only one game and did not exactly
light up the score board.

Compelling arguments and excellent points. But I can't remember the last time a youth team tied with teams of the calibre of the US, Costa Rica and Mexico and beat Canada, all in the same tourament.  At home or abroad.

And it is somewhat understandable that they did not and are still not lighting up the scoreboard. Afterall we are missing Knox and Gay, arguably the top two youth strikers in the Caribbean. With the exception of Daniel Joseph the present starting forward line are essentialy substitutes whose only comprehensive international experience were the CONCACAF qualifiers, and the current Asian tour.

If Gay, Kox, Hyland and maybe Britto or even Shaddon Winchester can be integrated successfully into the team they might surprise people come September
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2009, 06:52:12 PM »
Sometimes yuh does need licks to make yuh take the extra step. All yuh ever had a bad semester in school? My first semester in Grad school I get so much licks that the next semester I find myself studying on the weekend.  I never do that in undergrad. Developing the right work ethic take some time but eventually they will fall into the groove. Their training sessions done looking  more professional than the senior team.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2009, 06:53:04 PM »
This is good news, at least they are playing against world class opposition to get a feel for where improvements are neeeded. Much better than playing against poor opposition that leads you into a false sense of your talent level.

This is the only way for T&T footbal to progress. Play teams above your level to raise your level. Good thing we having these matches before hand !

I guess what pardners and mehself sayin....is yes....de team have to play dese matches for them to raise their level to prepare them for this level of competition and this is a good thing.  But is the coaching staff raising THEIR level at a comparable level?
At this stage of the game, should the coaching staff have to be learning as they go along while simultaneously trying to raise the players level to the required standard?

OR

Should they (coaching staff) already be at a stage of expertise and experience where they can help raise the players to the standard to where they need to be?

Well maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I guess the proof will be in the pudding when they take the field in Egypt....Then we'll be able to see what improvements (or lack thereof) have occured. Ideally I wud hope that the coaches have/had enough experience to know what was required, and that the players just needed to really get a taste of it themselves to raise their fitness, intensity and effort to the required level. I haven't seen the games, so I am in no position to pass judgement on whether or not the coaching staff is good enough. But I'm sure we'll find out soon enough whether or not this is another area where we are falling short.

But realistically breddrin, who on we coachin staff have that experience?  From where?  With whom? 

Well on paper it doesn't seem like anyone on the staff has that experience. However it seems like Vranes has been doing relatively well with the youths so far, and they seem to be responding to him, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt before i say he not good enough. And I doh think it make sense to change coaching staff at this juncture anyways. I think, with these warm-ups especially, that the boys will acquit themselves very well in Egypt and make us all proud.   :beermug:

We'll see what They're made of come tournament time......

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2009, 06:59:43 PM »
Vranes took this team to virtual parity with the best of the best in CONCACAF. IMO with the right support from the TTFF, which he appears to be getting at the present time, he and the team are capable of going as far as the Costa Rica, the US and Honduras can.

Though I wish them well and support them, the CONCACAF competition will be of little measure IMHO.
T&T were at home and the games were on an artificial surface. They won only one game and did not exactly
light up the score board.

Compelling arguments and excellent points. But I can't remember the last time a youth team tied with teams of the calibre of the US, Costa Rica and Mexico and beat Canada, all in the same tourament.  At home or abroad.

And it is somewhat understandable that they did not and are still not lighting up the scoreboard. Afterall we are missing Knox and Gay, arguably the top two youth strikers in the Caribbean. With the exception of Daniel Joseph the present starting forward line are essentialy substitutes whose only comprehensive international experience were the CONCACAF qualifiers, and the current Asian tour.

If Gay, Kox, Hyland and maybe Britto or even Shaddon Winchester can be integrated successfully into the team they might surprise people come September

Please allyuh don't get me wrong, I just stating that the CONCACAF competition is not a good yard stick (for the reasons listed) plus 6 months would have passed. Its just an opinion, other than that I am not commenting on the team one way or the other, because I eh seeing the  preparation games. I wish them well
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2009, 07:02:54 PM »
They will do well in Egypt!!

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2009, 07:13:50 PM »
Observer I know you not "hating" on the team breds. The performances of the qualifiers IMO, are more of a  harbinger than a yardatick of what the youths can accomplish once/if preparations are comprehensive, and we are lucky enough to have everythng fall into place in the proper timing.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2009, 08:42:27 PM »
how good is britto? seems like we really having a goal scoring problem. should he b called in? cause it appears that we are getting chances
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2009, 09:19:08 PM »
They will do well in Egypt!!
nah man. doh underrated playing the qualifying tournament at home at all. that was some good homefield advantage.  You have to start thinking they're not that good

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2009, 09:50:47 PM »
nah man. doh underrated playing the qualifying tournament at home at all. that was some good homefield advantage.  You have to start thinking they're not that good
Just asking, but do we really benefit from homefield adv? What was the crowd like?

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2009, 08:24:56 AM »

OR

Yeah he doing relatively well...11 goals against, whilst scoring only 2 in 4 games is not too bad when yuh come to think of it...especially if you consider against teams like UAE and Korea.  I suppose after beating part-time teams like WASA and Crab Conn in the Super League and winning the league by goal difference is a better yardstick.  Then again what we worried about, we draw against the mighty Mexico and USA (whether 2nd string team or not) at home.
The thing is we does always wait until it too late to change.  Maybe when we have 1 point after the only three games we play in Egypt we might look to make changes.  We done set the precedent with Corneal and Maturana already, so who is Vranes.  Remember how excited everybody got when Maturana had a nice record of wins this time last year.  We were actually making it a point to talk about beating teams like Guyana and Barbados and fighting up against Jamaica.  When some were saying he have a good record...give the man a chance, others were skeptical about the way the team was playing.

Boy we so straved for good football and good results in this country that anything that sound remotely exciting does make me feel we reach.  We never get preparation like this before, so we were so excited that we couldn't be bothered about the scores, we think that once we show up after that, victory guaranteed, doh mess nothing. 
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2009, 09:10:50 AM »
Just asking, but do we really benefit from homefield adv? What was the crowd like?

Samo crowds were not bad at all for the T&T games. But home field advantage is more about the field (surface), that the opposition not accustom with and other conditions that surround the tournament (hotel, food, transport etc).
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2009, 09:14:40 AM »
Remember how excited everybody got when Maturana had a nice record of wins this time last year.  We were actually making it a point to talk about beating teams like Guyana and Barbados and fighting up against Jamaica. 

Nah boy...That is one thing I cannot recall at all.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2009, 09:28:58 AM »
Remember how excited everybody got when Maturana had a nice record of wins this time last year.  We were actually making it a point to talk about beating teams like Guyana and Barbados and fighting up against Jamaica. 

;D
Trust mih, doh even try....
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2009, 09:38:12 AM »

Yeah he doing relatively well...11 goals against, whilst scoring only 2 in 4 games is not too bad when yuh come to think of it...especially if you consider against teams like UAE and Korea.  I suppose after beating part-time teams like WASA and Crab Conn in the Super League and winning the league by goal difference is a better yardstick.  Then again what we worried about, we draw against the mighty Mexico and USA (whether 2nd string team or not) at home.
The thing is we does always wait until it too late to change.  Maybe when we have 1 point after the only three games we play in Egypt we might look to make changes.  We done set the precedent with Corneal and Maturana already, so who is Vranes.  Remember how excited everybody got when Maturana had a nice record of wins this time last year.  We were actually making it a point to talk about beating teams like Guyana and Barbados and fighting up against Jamaica.  When some were saying he have a good record...give the man a chance, others were skeptical about the way the team was playing.

Boy we so straved for good football and good results in this country that anything that sound remotely exciting does make me feel we reach.  We never get preparation like this before, so we were so excited that we couldn't be bothered about the scores, we think that once we show up after that, victory guaranteed, doh mess nothing. 

Pardners what changes do we need to make right now? Our preparations so far have been decent. Even the US has not organized its U-20 camp yet, far less Nigeria who we are pressing to play in the next few days. We done play 4 games and about to play 2 more against the last world champions and most federations still sleeping. That is not good enough?

As for the scores, nothing the fans can do about that...what should we do...lobby to get the coach fired?  

And nowhere did anyone on this thread say victory was "guaranteed".  And when you have a team like this, who rise from 6-0 defeats from the US 4 years ago to a 0-0 tie , on the way to qualifying for their SECOND world cup, and who have a histroy of overcoming from adversity, I expect them to continue to show that same grit. Once they giving EFFORT I backing them.

Supporting doh mean we reach. We are two million and only half our population is represented on the field of play, we go neva reach.

Anyway that is just my rose-coloured opinion

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2009, 10:24:13 AM »

Pardners what changes do we need to make right now? Our preparations so far have been decent. Even the US has not organized its U-20 camp yet, far less Nigeria who we are pressing to play in the next few days. We done play 4 games and about to play 2 more against the last world champions and most federations still sleeping. That is not good enough?

As for the scores, nothing the fans can do about that...what should we do...lobby to get the coach fired?  

And nowhere did anyone on this thread say victory was "guaranteed".  And when you have a team like this, who rise from 6-0 defeats from the US 4 years ago to a 0-0 tie , on the way to qualifying for their SECOND world cup, and who have a histroy of overcoming from adversity, I expect them to continue to show that same grit. Once they giving EFFORT I backing them.

Supporting doh mean we reach. We are two million and only half our population is represented on the field of play, we go neva reach.

Anyway that is just my rose-coloured opinion

I was making the point that in MY opinion the present coach could only take us so far, and that opinion was based on seeing the team playing together in different forums and the results they were getting over the past year or so.  I was trying to say that maybe a more experienced coach would probably be more beneficial to the team at this time...not when things get real bad.

Check out the other teams you are comparing our preparations against, and the track record of those teams at this level WC.  Those teams don't just go to the WC for the experience, to expose players, to compete...they go actually thinking about winning the tournament...we just glad to be there. 

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2009, 11:38:58 AM »

I was making the point that in MY opinion the present coach could only take us so far, and that opinion was based on seeing the team playing together in different forums and the results they were getting over the past year or so.  I was trying to say that maybe a more experienced coach would probably be more beneficial to the team at this time...not when things get real bad.

Check out the other teams you are comparing our preparations against, and the track record of those teams at this level WC.  Those teams don't just go to the WC for the experience, to expose players, to compete...they go actually thinking about winning the tournament...we just glad to be there. 

A more experienced and better coach would definitely get us further. Cant argue with that. But some of those nations don't excel because they have more talented players or because of one coach. Countries like S. Korea the US,  etc. have a culture of excellence that permeates into everything that they do, on the pitch, on the sidelines and in the administration offices.

The coach is just one cog, albeit an important one, in a very big wheel. We have a long history of changing coaches at the drop of a hat, while still getting the same old results over and over.  Our showcase opener with Egypt, early start to preparations and the calibre of our opponents thus far may be an indication that TTFF/Jack actually seriously now, and that includes the choice of Vranes as coach.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 11:43:11 AM by ZANDOLIE »

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2009, 01:13:56 PM »

I trying to remember what moment in time that was mihself.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2009, 01:24:44 PM »

Tell the Mods and them to pull back the threads...was always a big debate.  Whilst some were talking about the cobo brand and team selection, some saying "but ent we winning...leave it, doh fix nothing, plus de coach giving locals a chance."  It get to the point where men was actually feeling nice that we beating the Caribbean teams.  That song didn't change for most until we get kick from the Digi Cup by Grenada and no chance of playing in the Gold Cup.

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2009, 01:52:53 PM »

OR

Pardners, how many times T&T has qualified for a WC?? Just our qualifying signifies a relative step up in our results on the world stage. Which is why i said the coach seems to be doing RELATIVELY well so far. Also, UAE and Korea BOTH have a much better historical record than T&T when it comes to world football, especially at youth level. So please doh talk like them is teams we supposed to be beating on a regular basis. If we had won any of those games it would have been a HUGE upset, and you know that.

Yes we starved for good football and good results here. And yes a more experienced coach could PROBABLY take the team further. However your expectations seem to ignore the fact that we aren't Brazil, or Argentina, or Italy, et al. You talking like you expect us to go from footballing nobodies (on the world stage) to winning the WC in the blink of an eye. Things doh work so in the real world brudda.

Now doh get me wrong eh, I hear you loud and clear.......In the grand scheme of things we haven't done anything yet, and u find a lot of the supposed 'celebration' premature, and I agree with that. But u have to realise we aren't used to being on this level and we gonna have a lot of growing pains. It's not that we not bothered with the scores and that once we show up after victory is guaranteed. I doh remember seeing one post celebrating the results. However you and all must admit this will help prepare the side a lot better than the quote "part time teams like WASA and Crab Conn". That's all I was saying. I not happy about the results, but I happy about the exposure the boys are getting. It's the only way they will learn how much better they have to be.

I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2009, 02:12:09 PM »

Tell the Mods and them to pull back the threads...was always a big debate.  Whilst some were talking about the cobo brand and team selection, some saying "but ent we winning...leave it, doh fix nothing, plus de coach giving locals a chance."  It get to the point where men was actually feeling nice that we beating the Caribbean teams.  That song didn't change for most until we get kick from the Digi Cup by Grenada and no chance of playing in the Gold Cup.

aaaaahhhhh yes Pardners I remember those days.....I remember clearly because I had to sit down in Marvin Lee game after game against Guyana and nearly fall asleep during one encounter....and den come on the board and read men defending Maturana in a manner of which you describe......yes boy the good ole days of the Corbeaux brand. 

Damn I miss those days.... :devil: ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2009, 02:16:01 PM »

OR

Pardners, how many times T&T has qualified for a WC?? Just our qualifying signifies a relative step up in our results on the world stage. Which is why i said the coach seems to be doing RELATIVELY well so far. Also, UAE and Korea BOTH have a much better historical record than T&T when it comes to world football, especially at youth level. So please doh talk like them is teams we supposed to be beating on a regular basis. If we had won any of those games it would have been a HUGE upset, and you know that.

Yes we starved for good football and good results here. And yes a more experienced coach could PROBABLY take the team further. However your expectations seem to ignore the fact that we aren't Brazil, or Argentina, or Italy, et al. You talking like you expect us to go from footballing nobodies (on the world stage) to winning the WC in the blink of an eye. Things doh work so in the real world brudda.

Now doh get me wrong eh, I hear you loud and clear.......In the grand scheme of things we haven't done anything yet, and u find a lot of the supposed 'celebration' premature, and I agree with that. But u have to realise we aren't used to being on this level and we gonna have a lot of growing pains. It's not that we not bothered with the scores and that once we show up after victory is guaranteed. I doh remember seeing one post celebrating the results. However you and all must admit this will help prepare the side a lot better than the quote "part time teams like WASA and Crab Conn". That's all I was saying. I not happy about the results, but I happy about the exposure the boys are getting. It's the only way they will learn how much better they have to be.

I hear yuh eh...and ah doh want to come across as too controversial and pessimistic...cause I supporting mih team still.

If we had won against those teams, it woulda be a huge upset for THOSE teams...then I woulda say our coach and team doing something good because they showing progress.  As for qualifying...we qualified after playing ONE game...we was inside.

I think allyuh misunderstanding the point I trying to make.  Is not about the preparation per se, nothing wrong with getting licks from more experienced teams, but if you not learning anything new to compete with such teams then we will continually have to satisfy with just qualifying for world cups.  What I saying is that based on empirical evidence (in my opinion) Vranes take the team as far as he could, given his abilities, and having followed the team progress for a while, I haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise.  I might venture that if the team went on tours to Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Holland from now until WC, if they don't get the benefit of a more experienced coaching and learn something new, they going to continue along the same road.  Determination and will power could only get you so far at this level.  Look at Corneal and the U17s in Korea and now Mexico, yet he still in charge...but nobody saying anything because why...we qualified...doh mind the 17 goals in 3 games.

But I agree with most of post anyway.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2009, 02:17:32 PM »

aaaaahhhhh yes Pardners I remember those days.....I remember clearly because I had to sit down in Marvin Lee game after game against Guyana and nearly fall asleep during one encounter....and den come on the board and read men defending Maturana in a manner of which you describe......yes boy the good ole days of the Corbeaux brand. 

Yeah girl, some people seem to have short memories.  Better pull back some threads....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2009, 04:33:09 PM »

Yeah girl, some people seem to have short memories.  Better pull back some threads....

We is URP peeps after 10 days we does 4get.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2009, 05:03:13 PM »

Ah mean, I remember de days yuh talking about. But as best as I could remember, even in de early days, de defenders of Mats where in the minority.

So when yuh say dis:
Remember how excited everybody got when Maturana had a nice record of wins this time last year.
ah get confused.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2009, 07:39:43 AM »

Ah mean, I remember de days yuh talking about. But as best as I could remember, even in de early days, de defenders of Mats where in the minority.

So when yuh say dis:
Remember how excited everybody got when Maturana had a nice record of wins this time last year.
ah get confused.

Yeah, ah know what yuh talking about...my bad...shouldna say 'everybody'  8)

Offline Tierra

• Jr. Warrior
  • Football unites
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2009, 08:48:11 AM »
Seems to me like since the CONCACAF qualifiers, goal scoring was a major problem. Those who were there would have seen the boys waste a number of chances. The problem is not so much getting the ball near the box but in the goal. Peole need to remeber that the team qualified without the likes of Gay and Hyland. I am not saying that these two players are the best in the team don't get me wrong but I believe they would make a great difference once included, as Hyland would be sharp in mid field and having watched many super lueage matches I know Gay finishes nicely in goal. September is not right around the corner it is definitely possible for them to integrate more and improve. I wish them the best and I believe that once they have the inclusion of some players they will give us a surprise in Eygpt. :beermug:

1]; } ?>