April 25, 2024, 05:42:53 PM

Author Topic: Connection crowned Caribbean champions  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Connection crowned Caribbean champions
« on: May 18, 2009, 10:11:53 AM »
Connection crowned Caribbean champions
By Randy Bando (ttproleague.com)

Pro League club W Connection defeated Puerto Rico Islanders 2-1 in the final of the CFU Club Champions Cup on Sunday night at the Marvin Lee Stadium to be crowned ‘champions of the Caribbean’.

Pro League clubs continue to prove their competence at regional level when in the earlier match, San Juan Jabloteh claimed the Caribbean’s last berth in next season’s CONCACAF Champions League after beating Tempete FC of Haiti 2-1 in the third-place game.

Both Connection and Islanders had clinched berths in the Champions League with their Caribbean semi-final victories on Friday.

But in the CFU title match, Jonathan Frias scored twice in the first 21 minutes to pace W Connection over the Islanders, which reached the semifinals of this past season’s Champions League before being eliminated by Cruz Azul.

Pablo Nunez scored in the 36th minute for the Islanders, which finished the game without manager Colin Clarke.

The former Northern Ireland international was ejected in the 59th minute for using obscene language at the fourth official.

Meantime W Connection ended the match as champions of the Caribbean for a third time in the club’s 10 year history. Connection were winners in 2002 and 2006 and runners-up in 2000, 2001 and 2003.

In the earlier match Cyrano Glen opened the scoring in the 33rd and Elton John added his second goal in three days in the 44th to provide all the scoring Jabloteth needed.

Jabloteh’s Karlon Murray knocked in an own-goal to cut the lead to one goal, but the victory gave Trinidad two teams in the 24-team Champions League field.

Jabloteh’s addition increases the number of qualified teams to 14 for next season’s 2009/2010 Champions League, which will begin July 28 with the first leg of the Preliminary Round.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:52:13 PM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Connection crowned Caribbean champions
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 04:57:02 PM »
Big up W Connection for beating the second place USL team... the gap isn't that big.... ent Kingman...  8)

I saw both games, cant understand why Marvin Oliver cant get a call. De man nice....

Ataullah when up to it WICKED !!!! I cant believe this young man have so much talent. Hope he keep his head straight. A good baller, mark my words...

Leonson lewis say he like Hughton Hector and I know why, de man good and Latapy and Lewis close so I guess he listen to Lewis...

That Jonathan Frias and William Oliveria is good ballers for W Connection... I feel Oliveria should get naturalised T&T citizen, de man real decent... good techniques... he cant make Brazil sie, bugt he could make de T&T side...

Kern Cupid and Nicholson Thomas eh ready.....

Cyrano Glen and Elton John looking good to...

Cant understand why Jagdeosingh not call up to train with T&T....

Karlon Murray good baller, but need to calm down...
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 05:23:22 PM »
Big up W Connection for beating the second place USL team... the gap isn't that big.... ent Kingman...  8)

I saw both games, cant understand why Marvin Oliver cant get a call. De man nice....

Ataullah when up to it WICKED !!!! I cant believe this young man have so much talent. Hope he keep his head straight. A good baller, mark my words...

Leonson lewis say he like Hughton Hector and I know why, de man good and Latapy and Lewis close so I guess he listen to Lewis...

That Jonathan Frias and William Oliveria is good ballers for W Connection... I feel Oliveria should get naturalised T&T citizen, de man real decent... good techniques... he cant make Brazil sie, bugt he could make de T&T side...

Thanks Sam So Cupid eh improve after dat buff Ince give him last yr.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 11:02:48 AM »

not only the 2nd place USL team but they made semifinals of the last champions league i believe.

Agree with ya on Frias and Olivieria and Oliver...ive heard plenty good things about those three.

Jagdeosingh has to be called up soon. TTFF are setting a dangerous precedent whereby men playing first-team football dont get called up (i.e. Jagdeo, Samuel, Scotland), and men who dont even have a club are starting on a regular basis!
Hart for president

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 11:18:21 AM »
Islanders ‘General’, in trouble…
islanders.theoffside.com

“The job must be finished”. The Islanders management want (Colin) Clarke to explain his polemic decision.

The Islanders management may summon Clarke to explain why he sat down seven regulars in the game against Trinidad (W. Connection)

Translation of excerpt of (Spanish) article by Luis Santiago Arce (larce@elnuevodia.com) for El Nuevo Día.

Since his arrival on the island, the Northen Irish head coach Colin ‘General’ Clarke has accomplished historic results for the Islanders. But at the end of the road the Islanders have not achieved the desired big win. This has created some concerns within the organization.

The latest example was this past weekend, when the Islanders opened their participation in the CFU Championships in Trinidad & Tobago with a 2-0 overtime win against the Hatian club Tempête FC, which qualified the Islanders to the 2009-10 CONCACAF Champions League. Two days later, the Orange Troops started the final match with seven regulars in the bench and paid the price with a 2-1 loss to W. Connection from Trinidad, who won the Caribbean title.

“I do not agree with the way the game was played. 30 countries participate in this event and to be the champion has its merits, a value. Even if they are regional titles, they are important and we need to make an effort to win them”, told Isaac ‘Sao’ Nieves (Islanders Operations Vicepresident) to El Nuevo Dia.

On his judgement (Nieves), it seemed an erred desicion on Sunday’s game to put in the bench Jonathan Steele, Noah Delgado, Cristian Arrieta, and goalkeeper Bill Gaudette, among others.

“We should not make the desicion to protect some players at the expense of results… teams are valued by their victories. Nobody remembers subchampions or second place finishers”, said Nieves, as he anticipated Clarke’s summon to explain what happened.

Fan response in public forums also show their displeasure with Clarke’s strategies in crucial matches.

They do not forget, for example, the poor performance a month ago in Mexico in the 2nd-leg of the (CCL) semifinal where Cruz Azul got the victory in a penalty shootout to end the Islanders brilliant run in the recently completed 2008-09 CONCACAF Champions League.

Additionally, the team won the USL-1 regular season title last year, but fell 2-1 to the Vancouver Whitecaps in the Islanders first ever championship final.

“Colin (Clarke) has absolutely all our trust. That is not in game here. This is about a change of focus that we need to see with some adjustments on the way. He has done a great job, but the job must be finished… everyone wants to see titles and sometimes we need to take our chances. I believe that on those moments he has failed to trust more on the team, and we need the team to win and dominate”, said Nieves.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 03:16:57 PM »
The man cant finish
Hart for president

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 04:41:02 PM »
That is a serious analysis. The Ricans are serious.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 04:54:34 PM »
Any good offensive and defensive mid-fielders at the games????

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 05:55:26 PM »
well done Connection
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 07:40:30 PM »
allyuh tink we interested in performance coaches .? ..nah !! allyuh mad or what ! Let fervier continue to win all dem titles ...he eh go be coaching none ah we teams unless he lookin  for shelter in de house dat Jack built

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 11:48:55 PM »
Congrats to Connection !

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 05:37:20 AM »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 06:30:07 AM »
I don't remember any J'can teams being involved in this tournament.

Anyone know why?

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 12:48:58 PM »

Anyone know why?

VB

Why ask Why? ::)
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 02:58:23 PM »
cause English players not allowed
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 03:04:46 PM »

Anyone know why?

VB

hard economic times that why they not dey  this year...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 05:18:46 PM »
cause English players not allowed

Ouch
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 06:19:39 PM »
Champions League draw set for June 11

5/28/2009 - NEW YORK – The draw for the second CONCACAF Champions League will be conducted June 11 at the confederation’s New York headquarters, setting the Preliminary Round pairings and which teams will face off in the Group Stage of the 24-club event.

Sixteen teams will be drawn into eight two-leg series for the Preliminary Round that will be staged July 28-30 and August 4-6. The winners will then join the eight seeded teams and will be drawn into four, four team groups.

The six-round Group Phase will begin August 18 and conclude the week of October 20-22.
Two teams from each group will advance to the Championship Round, beginning with the two-leg quarterfinals in March. A separate draw to establish the pairings for the quarterfinals and the path to the final will be conducted in early 2010.

Atlante won the inaugural Champions League on May 12, completing a 2-0 aggregate victory over
Mexican rival Cruz Azul. The Potros de Hierro (Iron Colts) will represent CONCACAF at the Club World Cup in Abu Dhabi in December.

A video will be available at the confederation’s Web site, CONCACAF.com, following the draw.

CONCACAF.COM
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 06:45:53 PM »
have high hopes fuh connection in de CCL.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 06:51:35 PM »

lix like fire,lix like peas. we are the best in the west indies

1]; } ?>