April 19, 2024, 11:26:07 AM

Author Topic: Avery John still wants to don the red, white  (Read 7004 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Avery John still wants to don the red, white
« on: May 08, 2009, 04:40:39 PM »
Avery John still wants to don the red, white & black.
By: Inshan "Flex" Mohammed.

DC United's newest recruit and one of Trinidad and Tobago's most talented left backs since Marvin Faustin - defender Avery John, 33, took some time-off from his busy MLS schedule to talk with 'Flex' of the Soca Warriors Online (SWO) about his career, passion for the game and how God has blessed him throughout his life.

Like track-star Ato Boldon, I was quick off the blocks, desperate to know how Avery John felt about his country's chances of getting to South Africa (2010) after having two ties and one loss in their opening 2009 World Cup qualifiers thus far. I was also interested in finding out his views on being excluded from those matches and on new coach and T&T legend Russell Latapy.

John said to me. "Russell Latapy is one of the most talented midfielders to grace Trinidad and Tobago football fraternity. He has been blessed with a great gift to change a game at anytime with a pass or a goal. However, as a manager his skills and wits are yet to be tested".

"I really hope he does well. I believe he should have been awarded the job earlier in order to build a foundation. I wish him all the best".

"Two ties and one loss is not that bad but taking into consideration that we should have won two out of three games I understand the frustration. Still all is not lost. We have a mountain to climb but it is not impossible".

So Avery, have you been in contact with the TTFF letting them know that you are available for selection, will we ever see 'Avery John' in T&T colours again and do you feel you were still capable of playing at international level ?

John replied: "I have not spoken to anyone. I received a message and returned the call but have not heard from them since".

"With God nothing is impossible. Yes, I am still capable of playing at international level. As for seeing me in the national colours again, I hope its sooner rather than later but I'm not the one who makes the decisions on selecting players".

When asked if he had managed to catch any of the T&T games in the HEX and what was his thoughts on the Soca Warriors.

John said: "I was able to see the El Salvador game and thought we should have won. Lack of fitness was our biggest enemy. The USA game was a nightmare and no more needs to be said. Everyone had their say on the forum. I did not see the Honduras game. We still have a great chance of being in the top three to qualify for South Africa. Worst scenario- 4th place".

And out of curiosity John. You've played in the USL (a step down from the MLS) last season and probably thought your career was coming to an end in the top flight when you first signed. Now you managed to sign a new deal with MLS team DC United. Were you surprise at this stage in your career you would net such a deal.

John: "I never thought my career was over or coming to an end. I never doubt my abilities to play and perform at the highest level. Some of the major reasons for not playing in the MLS last season were beyond my control".

"My agent and I have worked hard in sorting things out and I have been blessed with another chance at playing at the top level of my professional and international career and I plan to savour and enjoy it to the best of my abilities".

"I am happy to be playing with DC United where they have such a rich tradition of football and a massive silverware cabinet filled with trophies and a great fan following. Now it is just to help add some more silverware with my name written on them".

But John. Why did you leave New England Revolution. I know your contract had expired, but didn't they offer you to stay ?

John: "Sometimes we are forced to make decisions that we don't want to but have to. I have to leave (New England Revolution) because of personal reasons. They (Revs) did offer me a contract but I did not accept".

"Other teams showed interest but the price tag on my head was too high. Hence the reason I had to play in the USL. I can't go into more details but it is not that black and white".

Finally, I ended my interview with Avery John by asking him what he would like to accomplish before he considered retiring from football all together.

John replied: "Qualifying and playing in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa would be the first one, trying to do a little more with sponsorship and charitable work with my community (Vance River) and surrounding areas, this list could go on for a bit".

"However, for all that I have accomplished I'm grateful for the chances, the journey and life experiences God has blessed me with and if everything stops sooner than expected I will still be a satisfied man", ended Avery John".

About Avery John

John, a rugged tackler and uncompromising defender, the left-footed John has the ability to match the fastest forwards in MLS with his speed and physicality.

2007: In his final season with New England, injuries limited him to 19 games (18 starts). He played a key role in the postseason run as the Revolution defense allowed just two goals and posted three shutouts in four MLS Cup playoff games.

2006: Despite missing a portion of the season while playing in the 2006 FIFA World Cup with Trinidad and Tobago, John settled in to contribute upon his return. The Revolution was undefeated during the regular season with John in the starting lineup, going 7-0-3 in his ten first-team appearances.

2005: World Cup qualifying with Trinidad and Tobago forced John to shuttle back-and-forth between New England and international duty. He remained an important player for the Revolution, making 13 starts in 14 League appearances.

2004: John was signed by the Revolution on May 19 and earned a regular starting place soon thereafter, starting 19 of the 21 League matches he appeared in. He scored in the 2004 Eastern Conference Final against the Columbus Crew.

John attended Presentation College San Fernando. Played college soccer in the United States for Yavapai College in Arizona and American University in Washington, DC. His career as a footballer is a well traveled one, from USA to Ireland then to South Africa and back to the United States playing for 9 clubs in the process.

Inducted into the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Hall of Fame in Tyler, Texas, on Nov. 16, 2005 … John starred as a sweeper for Yavapai Junior College in 1994-95, and was named to both the NSCAA All-America team and the NJCAA National All-Tournament teams during his playing days for the Roughriders … transferred to American University as a junior in 1996, where he played his final two collegiate seasons … John was a two-time All-Colonial Athletic Association performer and a two-time NSCAA All-South Atlantic Region honoree. As a senior in 1997, John helped the Eagles win the CAA Championship and led the team into the NCAA Quarterfinals.

Graduated from American University in May 1999, with a degree in Business Administration, specializing in international marketing ... began work toward his master’s degree in business administration during the 2007 season.

John has appeared 79 matches for his native Trinidad and Tobago national team. In his first match at the 2006 FIFA World Cup, he was dismissed with his second yellow card for a rash tackle on Sweden's Christian Wilhelmsson, making John the first player to be sent off in the tournament and causing him to miss Trinidad and Tobago's high profile game with England.

Avery John was signed on April 23, 2009 after his rights were acquired from the New England Revolution in exchange for a conditional pick in the MLS SuperDraft.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 07:17:49 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Avery John still wants to don the red, white
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 04:50:52 PM »
You can't convince me there's no room at LB fuh dis man... hopefully sensible heads will prevail in the upcoming months ahead once he gets more games (and even better fitness) under his belt.

Short but to the point Flex  :beermug:

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 05:17:42 PM »
You can't convince me there's no room at LB fuh dis man... hopefully sensible heads will prevail in the upcoming months ahead once he gets more games (and even better fitness) under his belt.

That word sensible and T&T football don't go together bro! it's like tytanium and paltinum, oil and water sand and flour! like when i see latas pick every body and their fardder except the man who still have we in contention daryl roberts, that does make me wonder what kinda sense it have in we football!

boy!!! to be a T&T football supporter is real pain yes!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 05:25:50 PM »

That word sensible and T&T football don't go together bro! it's like tytanium and paltinum, oil and water sand and flour! like when i see latas pick every body and their fardder except the man who still have we in contention daryl roberts, that does make me wonder what kinda sense it have in we football!

Is Latas self ah had in mind when ah make dat statement...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 05:41:28 PM »

So who yuh think drop Avery?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Warrior30

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 06:55:54 PM »
JACK WARNER.......

anyway all de best Avery get some matches under your belt and you should be back. They have no excuse now for not picking you.

For de love of de game

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 08:20:14 PM »
Good work Flex.

Wonder if Latapy Jack Warner will call him.

We cant put our hopes on Aklie.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 08:22:06 PM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 08:25:59 PM »
Allyuh really feel Warner have time to waste on denying Avery John a pick?

Allyuh go shit allyuh pants if allyuh know who really drop him.

But if it suit allyuh to blame Jack...go tru...he does get blame fuh everyting anyway.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 08:30:22 PM »
Allyuh really feel Warner have time to waste on denying Avery John a pick?

But if it suit allyuh to blame Jack...go tru...he does get blame fuh everyting anyway.

who dropped Avery John...

and while you at it who dropped Cyd Gray as well?

never quite got the story about how these two got discarded, and what was the reasoning behind it although de lil murmurs that pass and here and there suggest something more in it.

come palos, talk yuh talk nuh man i ready to shit my pants.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 08:43:58 PM »
Lack of fitness was our biggest problem- What words of wisdom. Check it out USA beating people with their fitness level not their skill.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
Lack of fitness was our biggest problem- What words of wisdom. Check it out USA beating people with their fitness level not their skill.

He is right, we fitness was and is ONE of our biggest problem, I am sure de team would have played better if they was fit. Selection and tactics was another problem but I am sure Avery wouldn't mention that or else he might get ban from Jack twice...  :devil:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 04:24:31 AM by Sam »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 09:22:12 PM »

I have no idea who drop Avery... but if what Jack say is true that Latas could have whoever he want... then the call is Latas' to make.  That being the case, regardless who drop him if sensible heads prevail he should be back in there. 

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 10:00:52 PM »
Palos the non moderator  ;D  talking shit as usual .Avery and Cyd get dropped years now .You mean to tell me Latas picking the squad all this time .Looks to me latas picking what from what was given to him ,in these early days of his tenure .

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 11:02:04 PM »
Matters not who drop Avery d question at ths appointed time is who pickin Avery. Latas your move.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 04:40:22 AM »
Matters not who drop Avery d question at ths appointed time is who pickin Avery. Latas your move.

You know if these players really had the guts to talk up,,, interviews would be different.

Like this example.

Flex: So Avery why are you not on the T&T team.
Avery: Come nah Flex, you supporting T&T so long and you eh know de problem is Jack Warner. He creates a problem and bails himself out. He is a one man show.

Flex: So do you think Aklie Edwards deserve the left back position over you.
Avery: I feel Jack Warner adopt Aklie Edwards, talk done.

Flex: Whats your take on Latapy as coach.
Avery: De man was our best player and I personally feel he cant get the job done, to little to late. Besides, he want that job so bad he willing to kiss Jack Warner's ass.

Flex: What your take on T&T games so far.
Avery: Put it this way, after de next two games expect to see myself, James, Sancho, Kelvin Jack and Gray back in de squad.

Flex: How is the court case coming about (TTFF vs De 16) ?
Avery: Men bail on we, Andrews, Wolfe, Theobald and Samuel, the TTFF got to them, and myself, Sancho and Kelvin suffering for it, we are paying de price.

Flex: Who picks the T&T team.
Avery: The coach at first, then Corneal changes it and then Jack Warner finalize it.

Flex: How you feel about de T&T vs USA game.
Avery: Them men play shit on top of shit, forget de results, Aklie have two left foot and this is why he is considered over me, I have one. Jones is a big baller with a pea brain and Wolfe at right back against de strongest team in concacaf... hhmmm, now I know somebody smoke some serious grass before that game.

Flex: How you felt about Maturana.
Avery: He was pass his best, good call by the TTFF to fire him and no he did not resign, and when Latapy came Latapy was calling de shots, he was de one making de subs vs El Salvador, Honduras and USA, he did not want to take the field, he was de one who got Maturana fired.

Flex: Well thanks Avery.
Avery: Your welcome Flex, and big up de socawarriors.net website.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:50:17 AM by Sam »

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 06:41:48 AM »
914.msg565216#msg565216 date=1241835959]

te]

Avery John drop avery John. What is the obsession with you supporters and your drive for very mediocre players? At best avery is mediocre. His heart is big but his talent is very,very limited. I for one am quite happy to see avery at DC. Let him stay there, earn his money and do his coaching courses. Who knows he may make a helluva coach

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 07:35:32 AM »
How Avery drop himself ? what,,, his last T&T game was bad ? how many chances Aklie get ?

Yuh pick players who capable and not pick players who you have feeling about, right now we in a hole and we need to get out.

Aklie (LB) will be good but later on, when we know if we going Africa or not.

I not saying Avery is a must, but give him a call and let him train with de side and then choose from there.

Avery (LB) and Aklie (LW) will make a good combination on the left, and drop Daniel to de bench, show Daniel how it should be done, or move Daniel center.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 07:39:27 AM by Sam »

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 07:47:53 AM »

::)

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 07:50:20 AM »
How Avery drop himself ? what,,, his last T&T game was bad ? how many chances Aklie get ?

Yuh pick players who capable and not pick players who you have feeling about, right now we in a hole and we need to get out.

I not saying Avery is a must, but give him a call and let him train with de side and then choose from there.

Avery (LB) and Aklie (LW) will make a good combination on the left, and drop Daniel to de bench, show Daniel how it should be done, or move Daniel center.

I understand your heart but I will make you a bet. If Collin Samuels starts against Cr Akile will seem to be a completely different player. Akile was getting zero help with Daniels on the left side. Who knows maybe the other Edwards from the defence force may start infront of akile. My contention is that Avery is just not that good a player to warrant a recall at age 33. I would prefer to lose with the youngsters and have them prepared for 2014. Avery might go on to be a very good coach. That, to me, is where his future lies as far as T&T's football is concerned.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 10:49:13 AM »
sub1, ah not saying yuh wrong eh, but I disagree.

How can you judge Avery on one performance. Furthermore, Aklie has 20 something caps and by now what more can we do to expose him or give him experience, I believe 20 something caps is enough to know where we stand with a player, his strength, weakness and position.

I also think, we need a bit more experience at this stage than just wanting to blood youths just for the sake of it. Once we know the truth about our status to SA 2010 then blooding should start.

There is a time and place for everything.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:12:51 AM by Sam »

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 11:10:21 AM »

I understand your heart but I will make you a bet. If Collin Samuels starts against Cr Akile will seem to be a completely different player. Akile was getting zero help with Daniels on the left side. Who knows maybe the other Edwards from the defence force may start infront of akile. My contention is that Avery is just not that good a player to warrant a recall at age 33. I would prefer to lose with the youngsters and have them prepared for 2014. Avery might go on to be a very good coach. That, to me, is where his future lies as far as T&T's football is concerned.

Based on your logic, wouldn't it imply if colin starts instead of keon daniel, avery will look better as well.  You are saying the problem is not really the left back but the left midfielder.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 11:16:23 AM »
Allyuh check the picture they have for Avery John on WIKI nah....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avery_John

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 12:05:01 PM »
sub1, ah not saying yuh wrong eh, but I disagree.

How can you judge Avery on one performance. Furthermore, Aklie has 20 something caps and by now what more can we do to expose him or give him experience, I believe 20 something caps is enough to know where we stand with a player, his strength, weakness and position.

I also think, we need a bit more experience at this stage than just wanting to blood youths just for the sake of it. Once we know the truth about our status to SA 2010 then blooding should start.

There is a time and place for everything.

I am will grudgingly go along with your argument. It is true that Avery has the experience but as far as I am concerned that is where it ends. For this reason I say let him stay in DC. However if he is recalled I wont be upset and will be rooting for him to prove me soooo wrong.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
Avery: Men bail on we, Andrews, Wolfe, Theobald and Samuel, the TTFF got to them, and myself, Sancho and Kelvin suffering for it, we are paying de price.

Funny how yuh name Andrews, Wolfe, Theobald and Samuel but yuh never call de 2 biggest names dat bail on de WC players in dis dispute..

Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy

Look who runnin de team now eh?

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 12:11:32 PM »

Based on your logic, wouldn't it imply if colin starts instead of keon daniel, avery will look better as well.  You are saying the problem is not really the left back but the left midfielder.

In no part of my post did I say that Akile would look better. Avery may seem to be a different player also. He may look worst for that matter. But you are right when you imply that I am saying that the left midfield is the biggest problem on the team.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 12:47:46 PM »

Funny how yuh name Andrews, Wolfe, Theobald and Samuel but yuh never call de 2 biggest names dat bail on de WC players in dis dispute..

It was pretty obvious against pancho wishes, Latas was imposed upon him... rumor flying that Latas was already picking the team. Then Latas saying that he will pick the 'appropriate" players and that may not include the inform ones... So 6/6 we will see. May be you have been saying the truth all along... but something is fishy...!

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 01:30:32 PM »

I understand your heart but I will make you a bet. If Collin Samuels starts against Cr Akile will seem to be a completely different player. Akile was getting zero help with Daniels on the left side. [/quote]

[/quote]

In no part of my post did I say that Akile would look better. Avery may seem to be a different player also. He may look worst for that matter. But you are right when you imply that I am saying that the left midfield is the biggest problem on the team.
[/quote]

Well your statement is misleading if my conclusion is incorrect.  Anyway I am 100% in agreement that the problem is the left midfielder, keon daniel makes akile and avery look bad because they are under constant pressure becaus ehe don't help the defence.

Overall I think right now avery is the better defender for the 2010 campaign.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 03:51:23 PM »

Was Yorke and Latapy ever party to the suit for them to "bail" on the players?  Clearly Avery only talking about man who was part of the suit then decide to settle... that is the definition of 'bailing'.  Yuh is part ah something and then yuh remove yuhself b/c yuh doh like de prospects... not the same for Yorke and Latapy who never joined the action.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 05:06:21 PM »

Was Yorke and Latapy ever party to the suit for them to "bail" on the players?  Clearly Avery only talking about man who was part of the suit then decide to settle... that is the definition of 'bailing'.  Yuh is part ah something and then yuh remove yuhself b/c yuh doh like de prospects... not the same for Yorke and Latapy who never joined the action.
I cyar recall ever hearing Latapy address de matter, but at the press conference called by the players, Yorke was de one who read a prepared statement raising de money issue and other contractual obligations. Not too long after dat, he distanced himself from de bacchanal.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 05:48:14 PM »
Sub1 yuh talking outa timing! avery on his worst day is much better than that make shift left back they call aklie!!

the man can't read the game @ all @ all!! almost every goal against the U.S. came from his mistakes.

what we need is ah real left back and from my understanding we only have 2, nigel daniel and avery john, and i need one of them in the next game against CR or else we will most likely lose again.

ah know avery is old 33, but so is stern 32, carlos 31, lawrence 34, kenyo 32, noel who every body calling for 32, yorke 38, and grandpa latas, so don't use age as an excuse please!!

as for defenders? age is not a factor, reason ? most of the oldest players in the game were defenders, defenders is known for their longevity in the game, for example= roberto carlos , emerson, thuram, sagniol, juan, hedjuk, caffo, just to name ah few.

if avery too old then all the names i mentioned should take ah seat and let the young green inexperience sh!t hounds who cyar beat little grenada and antigua barbuda take the reins, and lets see how far we will reach!

if ah man is 100 and could do the job then come on down, not BC a fella in his prime gives him the right to be a shoe in. i always say the youths and the vets should play along side each other so they could learn from the experienced players, not just dump then in just so BC they young! that's not how it works.

aklie has demonstrated that he's incapable of holding down the left defensive flank! thank GOD he's supended for the next game, hope tuh see avery on the 6/6/ 09!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>