April 29, 2024, 07:13:37 AM

Author Topic: Fenwick questions Corneal's competence  (Read 12051 times)

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fenwick questions Corneal's competence
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2009, 04:24:07 AM »
Though I agree with Fenwick on Corneal, I must remind him that he ain't nothing special either. If he such ah good coach.....(no offense to our country, but) why he only ever been successful wukkin in T&T!!! He had/has two advantages over his local counterparts, a well funded team (now no longer) and Top level coaching experience (which he was and is a failure as).

I have never been a Fan of this fella and never will be, as they say in the UK, He is a dodgy geezer!! However, if we desperate to go local based then I guess he is one of the better if not the best candidate for any national job. Would he get a national job....well I think we all know that is not so certain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2009, 05:09:47 AM »

KICKS - Give me the bloody job mate before I strangle you....  :rotfl:

Actual caption - Terry Fenwick, who guided Clico San Juan Jabloteh to the 2008 Pro League championship is presented with the Coach of the Year award by Soca Warriors coach, Russell Latapy, left at the Marvin Lee Stadium, Macoya on Friday night. Photo: Anthony Harris.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2009, 05:18:40 AM »
MAMA
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2009, 05:23:10 AM »
Though I agree with Fenwick on Corneal, I must remind him that he ain't nothing special either. If he such ah good coach.....(no offense to our country, but) why he only ever been successful wukkin in T&T!!! He had/has two advantages over his local counterparts, a well funded team (now no longer) and Top level coaching experience (which he was and is a failure as).

I have never been a Fan of this fella and never will be, as they say in the UK, He is a dodgy geezer!! However, if we desperate to go local based then I guess he is one of the better if not the best candidate for any national job. Would he get a national job....well I think we all know that is not so certain.

Cosign d fella is a thug neva like him and it eh difficult 2 c dat Anton team continues 2 b at sea.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2009, 04:00:47 AM »

Is Terry Fenwick the worst manager ever?

In this week's Knowledge: the worst manager ever, nearest Champions League finalists ever and is Sicknote the most injured player ever - the sequel. Send your questions and answers to knowledge@guardianunlimited.co.uk

I AM GLAD TO SEE HE HAS REVIVED HIS CAREER IN TRINI

WHO IS THE WORST MANAGER EVER?

"In light of a recent discussion about the legend that is Steve Nicol (played 20, won 4, lost 9 while in charge of Notts County in 1995), we started wondering who has the UK's worst managerial record," says James Armit.

Where else to start James, than with the legendary Mick McCarthy? At the moment, the Sunderland manager's record at the Stadium of Light stands at an astonishingly poor played nine, lost nine. "Though he didn't manage the hapless club for the whole season, he did manage to avoid scoring a single point in his tenure, and topped it off by bottoming out with the lowest points total in the top flight since the introduction of three points for a win," says a flabbergasted John Whitling.

True, John, true. But Mick's spell at Sunderland could yet improve - unlike Howard Wilkinson, whose record at the Stadium of Light was P 27, W 4, L15, D 8 - an average of 0.74 points per game. However, Wilko still comes a long way behind another of the game's gruff characters - ex-Wimbledon boss Peter Withe, who, as Wayne Ziants points out, won just once in 16 matches (one win, six draws, nine losses - an average of 0.56 points a game) while in charge of the Dons.

Meanwhile Chris Fry reckons Martin Hinshelwood, at his beloved Brighton and Hove Albion, is the worst manager of all time. "2 wins, 1 draw and 11 defeats in a row at the start of last season (an average of 0.50 points per game) before getting the boot."

But, incredibly, there is someone even worse. Step forward one Terrence Fenwick, whose reign at Northampton was little short of a disaster. "Speaking with no knowledge or authority whatsoever beyond that of a somewhat bitter Cobblers fan, I would suggest that Fenwick is worth looking at," says David Frost. "I gather he had some success in that hotbed of footballing excellence, the West Indies, but his brief tenure at Sixfields was worth a mighty two points from 21."

"Admittedly both his predecessor and successor were on the end of some hammerings either side of his reign," continues David, "but they had the knack of winning the odd game every now and then - a simple strategy that is generally sufficient in the nether regions of the Second Division to ensure survival."

Agreed, David. Agreed. We reckon Fenwick's record of P7, W0, D2, L5 at Northampton (an average of 0.28 points a game) is the most unsuccessful of any sacked manager. But if you know different, let us know...
I LOVE THIS GAME BETTER THAN I LOVE THIS GAME

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2009, 06:52:12 AM »

In this week's Knowledge: the worst manager ever, nearest Champions League finalists ever and is Sicknote the most injured player ever - the sequel. Send your questions and answers to knowledge@guardianunlimited.co.uk

"In light of a recent discussion about the legend that is Steve Nicol (played 20, won 4, lost 9 while in charge of Notts County in 1995), we started wondering who has the UK's worst managerial record," says James Armit.

Where else to start James, than with the legendary Mick McCarthy? At the moment, the Sunderland manager's record at the Stadium of Light stands at an astonishingly poor played nine, lost nine. "Though he didn't manage the hapless club for the whole season, he did manage to avoid scoring a single point in his tenure, and topped it off by bottoming out with the lowest points total in the top flight since the introduction of three points for a win," says a flabbergasted John Whitling.

True, John, true. But Mick's spell at Sunderland could yet improve - unlike Howard Wilkinson, whose record at the Stadium of Light was P 27, W 4, L15, D 8 - an average of 0.74 points per game. However, Wilko still comes a long way behind another of the game's gruff characters - ex-Wimbledon boss Peter Withe, who, as Wayne Ziants points out, won just once in 16 matches (one win, six draws, nine losses - an average of 0.56 points a game) while in charge of the Dons.

Meanwhile Chris Fry reckons Martin Hinshelwood, at his beloved Brighton and Hove Albion, is the worst manager of all time. "2 wins, 1 draw and 11 defeats in a row at the start of last season (an average of 0.50 points per game) before getting the boot."

But, incredibly, there is someone even worse. Step forward one Terrence Fenwick, whose reign at Northampton was little short of a disaster. "Speaking with no knowledge or authority whatsoever beyond that of a somewhat bitter Cobblers fan, I would suggest that Fenwick is worth looking at," says David Frost. "I gather he had some success in that hotbed of footballing excellence, the West Indies, but his brief tenure at Sixfields was worth a mighty two points from 21."

"Admittedly both his predecessor and successor were on the end of some hammerings either side of his reign," continues David, "but they had the knack of winning the odd game every now and then - a simple strategy that is generally sufficient in the nether regions of the Second Division to ensure survival."

Agreed, David. Agreed. We reckon Fenwick's record of P7, W0, D2, L5 at Northampton (an average of 0.28 points a game) is the most unsuccessful of any sacked manager. But if you know different, let us know...

:notlistening: we  :notlistening: We want Terry in the MECCA of the hotbed of football excellence in d WI. :rotfl:

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2009, 07:10:12 AM »

Every coach at every level goes through a learning curve...and im sure Terry was able to learn from that experience of losing. What has Anton learned after repeatedly failing time and time again with yet another one of our national youth teams? yet still he continues to receive the support from TTFF. You see what the did to Fenwick when he failed right? It's time Anton be held responsible as well!!!  :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2009, 07:15:58 AM »

worst in the UK best in trinidad eh ?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TTFF Need Better Youth Coaches
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2009, 07:43:30 AM »

You are saying that (or hoping) that maybe if his appointment to that position is something that would truly benefit our football and he were to be more diplomatic with his opinions (if voicing them at all) that jackula and the powers-that-be would consider appointing him..........I seriously doubt it, Boss, and I would serioulsy suggest that you are being a little naive with that thinking.   I don't think jackula and his cronies and his sons are now, or ever will be, interested in placing people in positions within T&T football that would make T&T football less and less dependent on his influence or freer of their grip.

There is very credible evidence that if he were to be involved in coaching the National team that we would see improvements on at least the defensive front... no need for me to go into it, concededly it's speculative and we could just head that off by agreeing to disagree on that.  As for your assertion that I am somehow naive in thinking that Jack and his cronies would appoint Fenwick to such a position... with all due respect, I think it is you who's being naive.  You seem to forget the nature of the beast we're dealing with in Jack Warner. 

Jack Warner is a man to hold grudges as we well know, but more than anything else, what animates Jack is the financial bottomline... if Fenwick were our best option to advance to the World Cup (be it now or in the future) then you best believe that Jack will ride that money train into the ground and then move on when something shinier comes along.  He has already hinted as much with his statements upon Latapy's appointment that he (Latas) would have whatever resource available at his disposal, including... and I quote "the Jabloteh coach".  So far from being naive, I'm actually taking the cynical view that Jack will do whatever it is Jack has to do to keep his cash cow (TnT football) productive.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:47:12 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TTFF Need Better Youth Coaches
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2009, 10:34:24 AM »

You are saying that (or hoping) that maybe if his appointment to that position is something that would truly benefit our football and he were to be more diplomatic with his opinions (if voicing them at all) that jackula and the powers-that-be would consider appointing him..........I seriously doubt it, Boss, and I would serioulsy suggest that you are being a little naive with that thinking.   I don't think jackula and his cronies and his sons are now, or ever will be, interested in placing people in positions within T&T football that would make T&T football less and less dependent on his influence or freer of their grip.

There is very credible evidence that if he were to be involved in coaching the National team that we would see improvements on at least the defensive front... no need for me to go into it, concededly it's speculative and we could just head that off by agreeing to disagree on that.  As for your assertion that I am somehow naive in thinking that Jack and his cronies would appoint Fenwick to such a position... with all due respect, I think it is you who's being naive.  You seem to forget the nature of the beast we're dealing with in Jack Warner. 

Jack Warner is a man to hold grudges as we well know, but more than anything else, what animates Jack is the financial bottomline... if Fenwick were our best option to advance to the World Cup (be it now or in the future) then you best believe that Jack will ride that money train into the ground and then move on when something shinier comes along.  He has already hinted as much with his statements upon Latapy's appointment that he (Latas) would have whatever resource available at his disposal, including... and I quote "the Jabloteh coach".  So far from being naive, I'm actually taking the cynical view that Jack will do whatever it is Jack has to do to keep his cash cow (TnT football) productive.

I wasn't actually questioning whether or not Fenwick actually is what would be best for our football, I was merely asking the question.  But seeing as you mentioned that he would be, then we really would have to agree to disagree.  I am looking at it from the viewpoint that if Fenwick is only going to be used, or allow himself to be used, for whatever price, just to get our senior team to to a WC and hence, allow jackula just that much longer a ride on the cash cow and not benefit our T&T Football as a whole, then he really isn't along the lines of what IS best for T&T football.  I am far from being naive because regardless of what comes out of jack mouth, jack is NEVER going to allow T&T football to truly develop to any level of independence of his influence.  Not as long as he and his sons are breathing.    As long as we continue to develop underdeveloped youth footballers, looking as badly as the current U-17's have looked among their international peers lately and coming up short like our current U-20's are doing, then, jack could appoint SAF to our senior team and it's only going to be a continued diversion from his continued and long term agenda.   The fact is, no matter how much lacking in tact or diplomacy Fenwick may be (and we all know by now that he has had some very harsh words for T&T Football before, and according to you, he is STILL being considered to be a part of it) it eh stoppin' jack from putting him in the mix.  Jack know that as long as he use a lil bit ah smoke, and a few mirrors, and we continue to buy tickets for the games, he have us right where he want us. 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2009, 12:17:52 PM »

I remember before Gally was given the job he used to be commentating about all the flaws the team had game after game , mind you he never once de cryed the coach or said anything directly about him but at the end of each game yuh just wanted to fire the coach and hire Gally , well it was done and he brought is to the well and we failed to drink.
Maybe Fenwick decide on a more direct indirect approach given the fact that he out of a paying job and time running short.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2009, 12:28:09 PM »
The man played 7 games whereas everyone else he is compared to played above 10 games. Says nothing.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2009, 01:49:53 PM »
I waiting to hear what Fenwick have to say about Vranes.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2009, 02:15:07 PM »
AMEN!

Hart for president

Offline handsanointed

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2009, 05:42:11 PM »
After reading all the posts, my question is why hasn't anyone taken time to talk to members of the team. Mr. Corneal has had his say, in my opinion he has bashed the guys but we need to talk to the guys.
If we as parents don't have the ablity to motivate our children after that Mexico tournament then our sons may not kick another ball.
Most of the guys are at it again, with their respective clubs.
One thing I can say is that Terry Fenwick has helped alot in the development of Jerrel. Our decision as Jerrel's parents is that he would not play at the youth level this year. The development process is ongoing and his aim is to continue to develop in every area that would assist him in becoming an all round player. He has started training with Jabloteh's senior team.
We continue to support our son. We believe that attaining excellence is important.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2009, 06:30:12 PM »
After reading all the posts, my question is why hasn't anyone taken time to talk to members of the team. Mr. Corneal has had his say, in my opinion he has bashed the guys but we need to talk to the guys.
If we as parents don't have the ablity to motivate our children after that Mexico tournament then our sons may not kick another ball.
One thing I can say is that Terry Fenwick has helped alot in the development of Jerrel. Our decision as Jerrel's parents is that he would not play at the youth level this year. The development process is ongoing and his aim is to continue to develop in every area that would assist him in becoming an all round player. He has started training with Jabloteh's senior team.
We continue to support our son. We believe that attaining excellence is important.

We dissapointed with the performance but nobody worth listening to is needlessly bashing the players. The coach made bold statements about being ready for the matches but obviously they were not. That is purely on him. Now we are left waiting for the official analysis from the talking heads. Can't wait to see how they going to spin this one...if any analysis is coming at all.

I think the entire board is looking forward to seeing what Jerrell and the other young players can do under the influence of a good coach...And as for youth football, I hear Zoran Vranes looking for strikers...

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2009, 08:52:38 PM »

We like bachanal so talkin 2 d players if it would add more bachanal then Spalk etal will talk 2 d players. As for Fenick he good at d level in TNT. Not my favourite person but he obviously has sumting goin 4 him.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2009, 06:12:27 AM »

Maybe you could share some of your experiences with the team.  Were you in Mexico as well ?
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2009, 02:39:36 PM »

Maybe you could share some of your experiences with the team.  Were you in Mexico as well ?

What dem peeps do u? U expext she 2 come here and call Anton a chipmunk. I could do dat because I eh plan to play 4 we in d near future. U 4get how Jw and dem is.

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2009, 03:22:40 PM »

We like bachanal so talkin 2 d players if it would add more bachanal then Spalk etal will talk 2 d players. As for Fenick he good at d level in TNT. Not my favourite person but he obviously has sumting goin 4 him.

At last a semblance of mature thinking. There is hope yet for you young lady. Now if only this could spread a little on the board maybe the fact that competence is not necessarily married to likeability we could actually start seeking the best becz of results and not becz of race or accent. I will be monitoring your progress.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2009, 04:48:47 PM »

At last a semblance of mature thinking. There is hope yet for you young lady. Now if only this could spread a little on the board maybe the fact that competence is not necessarily married to likeability we could actually start seeking the best becz of results and not becz of race or accent. I will be monitoring your progress.

There was no hope 4 me really thanks 4 sharing.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2009, 10:02:27 AM »
A final word on Fenwick and his coaching competence. There was a show on Sky a year or two ago that put David Seaman in charge of a losing Sunday league Team and challenged him to win the league with the same Players. Can't remember if they did win but they did come very close. Seaman had no previous experience as a manager and at the time wasn't even a qualified coach (probably still isn't), yet he had an instant impact on the teams performance. Why, simple, his experience at a higher level of football was significantly greater than his opposing managers and allowed him to prepare his team better than the other coaches. Also it was clear that due to his status, his players were prepared to carry out their managers instructions to the best of their ability unlike some of the opposing teams players.

Also, If the PFL were run financially like the MLS I wonder how successful he would have been. He has done a lot for many players but let us not get carried away, I'm sure he enjoyed an increase in income because of his personal interest in improving his players, shall I say, professional options.

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2009, 10:59:32 AM »
A final word on Fenwick and his coaching competence. There was a show on Sky a year or two ago that put David Seaman in charge of a losing Sunday league Team and challenged him to win the league with the same Players. Can't remember if they did win but they did come very close. Seaman had no previous experience as a manager and at the time wasn't even a qualified coach (probably still isn't), yet he had an instant impact on the teams performance. Why, simple, his experience at a higher level of football was significantly greater than his opposing managers and allowed him to prepare his team better than the other coaches. Also it was clear that due to his status, his players were prepared to carry out their managers instructions to the best of their ability unlike some of the opposing teams players.

Also, If the PFL were run financially like the MLS I wonder how successful he would have been. He has done a lot for many players but let us not get carried away, I'm sure he enjoyed an increase in income because of his personal interest in improving his players, shall I say, professional options.

It is clear that you could care less for Fenwick. You were honest enuff to state that from the outset in another post. I dont know the man from adam thus all I go by is his and others record in T&T in general and the pfl in particular. The ifs and other theoritical thinking I will not indulge in. But the facts are that in T&T he is by far the most successful coach as far the pfl is concerned and also the production of many future prospects. Therefore one is not carried away by wanting to see him at least offered some position in the national set up. We have suffered the idignities of a Maturana, BSC, Granville, Corneal, Mc Comie and La forest just to name a few but will fight tooth and nail not see a man who has had success at the senior level of our football be appointed to a national position. Why? Is it because of his color, his brashness, his awful record in england or is it just because I dont like him? In other words I prefer to believe that Abu bakr is a kidnapper and not a benevolent man because he is muslim than to bring him to court for the fear that he might just prove to me that I was wrong all the time and that he really is a benevolent man. Bad analogy I know but i just needed something to illustrate how dislike could cause many of us to miss out on the possible truth.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2009, 11:11:21 AM »

What about what is? His record in T&T speak for itself. He is not coaching in England and the MLS, so coming with the what if's is not relevant. Corneal is not coaching in the MLS or England, he not even coaching locally, so there you go.

How about Fenwick coach Jabloteh U-17 vs the National under 17s with Anton in charge?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2009, 11:40:06 AM »

What about what is? His record in T&T speak for itself. He is not coaching in England and the MLS, so coming with the what if's is not relevant. Corneal is not coaching in the MLS or England, he not even coaching locally, so there you go.

How about Fenwick coach Jabloteh U-17 vs the National under 17s with Anton in charge?

Where you think most of the Under 17s come from  :devil: Of 20 players selected for Mexico, 10 were from Jabloteh. Needless to say Fenwick would kick Anton's ass.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2009, 03:25:54 PM »
Fuh those who are interpreting my comments as displeasure at Fenwick coaching a T&T national team, as I said in a previous post...if we have to (move from Lata's and) go local, then he is one of the best if not the best option for a national job.

Yes, I am not a Fan, but it is nothing to do with him being able to or successful at managing T&T. Infact, I have no problem with T&T trying him out at some point. I am talking about his outspoken and self-promoting nature especially when it comes to being critical of others in his profession. Considering his past record I think it is a bit hypocritical of him and just want to put his success in T&T into some perspective.

Elan, I think you haven't read that I actually agree with Fenwick's opinion on Corneal. So bringing up Corneal is of even less relevance.

Offline handsanointed

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2009, 12:10:30 PM »

We dissapointed with the performance but nobody worth listening to is needlessly bashing the players. The coach made bold statements about being ready for the matches but obviously they were not. That is purely on him. Now we are left waiting for the official analysis from the talking heads. Can't wait to see how they going to spin this one...if any analysis is coming at all.

I think the entire board is looking forward to seeing what Jerrell and the other young players can do under the influence of a good coach...And as for youth football, I hear Zoran Vranes looking for strikers...

I hope he would get an opportunity to train with the U20's when they return.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2009, 01:32:02 PM »
Ent! I was trying to tell some people the same thing about Pacho. If the team not producing...who's at fault the player or the coach? Fenwick telling the truth deh.  ;)
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

1]; } ?>