March 28, 2024, 02:53:07 AM

Author Topic: Gayle versus Strauss; Gayle versus d Captaincy  (Read 4646 times)

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gayle versus Strauss; Gayle versus d Captaincy
« on: May 12, 2009, 04:59:40 PM »
Chris Gayle warns Andrew Strauss to 'stay out of his business' over late IPL return
• West Indies captain 'wouldn't be so sad' if Test cricket died
• Gayle wants to stand down as skipper and targets successor

Chris Gayle, who was criticised by Andrew Strauss for arriving just two days before the first Test from the IPL in South Africa, has hit back at the England captain and said that he would not be sad if Test cricket died out. In an interview with the Guardian, Gayle also said that he wants to step down from the West Indies captaincy, a role he has occupied since November 2007.

Gayle has been under intense pressure to justify his IPL commitments and improve the form of his side before the second Test, which starts tomorrow. West Indies lost the first Test by 10 wickets after following on, the captain making 28 and a duck in his two innings.

Before the game Strauss had been dismissive of Gayle's late arrival, saying: "There's a line there. Certainly we wouldn't want our players to arrive two days before. The important thing is that Test cricket gets the attention it deserves. And that means that people prepare themselves properly for any Test match you play. You don't want Test cricket to be devalued in any way, shape or form."

Today the West Indies captain responded, warning his opposite number to "stay out of people's business" and suggesting Strauss had gone too far. "Doesn't concern him," Gayle said. "Focus on his team, don't worry about West Indies, don't worry about me. Tell him don't sleep with Chris on his mind, tell him get Chris off his mind."

Strauss, he said, should be the one to be worrying about the potential demise of Test cricket because he would have difficulty adapting to shorter forms of the game. "I wouldn't be so sad," said Gayle. "Some other players would be. Maybe Andrew Strauss would be sad. Maybe he will be sad if Test cricket dies and Twenty20 comes in. Because there is no way he can make the change. So tough luck.

"I like Twenty20 since it come about now. I like it. Who doesn't? Maybe a couple of the Englishmen wouldn't like to play Twenty20."

Gayle is less enthused about captaining West Indies. "To be honest with you there's a possibility I might give it up – I will be giving it up shortly," he said. "It's definitely not something I'm looking to hang on to. I need some time for myself, to be honest with you, it's a lot of travelling. There's always something you have to go and do, you know, extra. Lunch or dinner, some other thing, there's always something for the captain. I'm not that type of person. I can't take on too much things. So soon I will be handing over this captaincy. I soon finish with it."

The job has been filled by a succession of reluctant occupants in recent years – Shivnarine Chanderpaul was forced into accepting the role after a sponsorship row ruled out nine players in 2005, Ramnaresh Sarwan took over in 2007 but was troubled by injury, and eventually Gayle was persuaded. Now, he says, he is turning his mind to potential successors. "We're still looking at quite a few," said Gayle. "So we just have to wait and see when the selectors decide – or whosoever decide. Then I'm ready. The chairman pointed out to me they want me to actually be the captain for right now. We have to see how it goes. I said, 'Don't be too long, though'."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/may/12/chris-gayle-andrew-strauss-cricket

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Gayle versus Strauss; Gayle versus d Captaincy
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 05:15:17 PM »
Nobody eh beggin he 2 play so stop play test cricket.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 05:45:32 AM »
 :violin: aww, poor gayle....sob sob
so what's the worse that could happen- we would lose? ha! what's new in that?
better he goes NOW! thank you for your service and better luck in the IPL
 ;D

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:22:28 AM »
One of the problems with this tour is that it conflicts with the IPL.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/england-line-up-west-indies-to-replace-sri-lanka-in-2009-966966.html
The ECB invited Sri Lanka to replace Zimbabwe when the government stated that it would refuse to issue visas to the African side. The invitation was accepted without the Sri Lankan Cricket Board (SLC) speaking to its players, who had already signed contracts to play in next year's Indian Premier League, an extremely lucrative Twenty20 tournament that coincides with the tour.

Government officials in Sri Lanka stated that the 13 players signed by the IPL should be allowed to honour their agreements in India, a decision that would result in England playing against a second-string Test side at Lord's and Chester-le-Street.

As for Gayle and the captaincy. Well... that need a whole thread by itself. West Indies Captains since Clive Lloyd
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 08:08:05 AM »
Gayle should be immediately replaced as Captain and removed form the team.  If he wants to play IPL he should not be forced to play Test cricket. With that attitude, his leadership is no longer needed.  We could surely find players who are hungry and willing to represent the region.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 08:46:22 AM »
Me ent blaming Gayle atall....

He collect he million from Stanford 20/20...

He making he money in d IPL

Yuh really think he worried about d peanuts he getting paid now...in test cricket...

D fella ah bit burnt out...world cricket today is more stressful....

Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 09:37:29 AM »
so are you saying it is okay for him to shortchange us the windies supporters, because he doesn't need the work?
I think he should resign outright if he is not interested. that's all.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 10:08:39 AM »
if he making runs i eh care how unhappy he is...however i see he says they looking for  replacements...i doh see why he cant do the job until they find someone suitable...if the players eh have a problem with him not really wanting the job BUT still doing it as best he can then so what?!
I fed up of test cricket too! but that is only cuz i fed up watch WI play shit!
Back in Trini...

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 01:43:27 PM »
so are you saying it is okay for him to shortchange us the windies supporters, because he doesn't need the work?
I think he should resign outright if he is not interested. that's all.

I don't agree with the timing of Gayle's statement and as the team captain has to show some more grit or if he thinks he's not up to it step down. However, I can't see how you can say he's short changed us.

In 2008 he played 6 tests and in 11 innings, scored 535 at an average 53.5 with 1 century and 2 half centuries. So far in 2009 he's played 6 tests and has 8 innings, scored 320 runs at 40.0 with 2 centuries.

I don't see what's all the fuss. If he's not up to it let him leave, if he's here and playing well then let him get on with it. If he does stay though he needs to choose his public statements a bit more carefully, especially as the captain of the team.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 06:41:40 PM »
if he making runs i eh care how unhappy he is...however i see he says they looking for  replacements...i doh see why he cant do the job until they find someone suitable...if the players eh have a problem with him not really wanting the job BUT still doing it as best he can then so what?!
I fed up of test cricket too! but that is only cuz i fed up watch WI play shit!

Cosign d lst line meh brudder
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 06:24:21 PM »
Cricket fans check wack fm ,discussion about WI team and Chris Gayle comments right now .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 08:19:41 PM »
Cricket fans check wack fm ,discussion about WI team and Chris Gayle comments right now .

D Fearless 1 had d journalist. A man call in and call she Deliah.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 09:21:06 PM »
Richardson likes Sarwan or Ramdin for Windies skipper
Published: May 16, 2009

Denesh Ramdin…Appointed team vice captain
Former West Indies captain Richie Richardson believes Ramnaresh Sarwan and Denesh Ramdin are the leading candidates to succeed Chris Gayle as the next leader of the West Indies cricket team. In his new column for The Wisden Cricketer Web site, Richardson said Sarwan should be first in line for the job if Gayle decides to quit. “If Gayle were to give up the job I would probably go back to Ramnaresh Sarwan, if he wants it, for a period of time. Chanderpaul had it for a while but Sarwan has always been one of my favourites as captain of West Indies,” said Richardson.

“If he (Sarwan) is not comfortable, I wouldn’t have a problem giving it to young Denesh Ramdin, he has shown tremendous potential as a cricketer. He has captained in a one-day match and seemed to do ok. I don’t know him very well, but he seems a calm guy and it is obvious that the selectors see some potential in him,” said the Antiguan. Richardson, who led West Indies in 24 of his 86 Tests, says he can understand Gayle’s headline-making comments this week about the demands of being an international captain.

“He obviously needs a lot of time for himself, which he doesn’t get as captain. I can attest to that. My batting deteriorated after I became captain and one of the reasons was that I didn’t have enough time to focus on my game or put in the type of personal practice and training that I was accustomed to. “I empathise with him a little where that is concerned, but he’s got to look at himself as well, and if he’s not comfortable with the job, if he doesn’t want it nothing is wrong in expressing that and people have got to respect that,” Richardson said. The Guardian newspaper broke a contentious story this week, quoting Gayle as saying he was about to quit the West Indies captaincy because of the pressures of the job.

The powerful left-handed opener said a day later that his comments were misinterpreted but he did not appear to back down from comments he made about his preference for Twenty20 cricket over the traditional game, suggesting he made “honest” comments as an “individual”. Unlike Gayle however, Richardson is in no doubt about the importance of Test cricket.

“I think it’s important to always try to promote the game of Test cricket, because Test cricket is vital to the continued development of all forms of the game. Even though some players are more suited to the shorter version, every player should aspire to play Test cricket – that is the real cricket, the real Test. “Even though we understand the importance of T20 cricket and the shorter forms of the game, we should always look forward to Test cricket, it is the ultimate and everything should be done to preserve this format of the game,” said Richardson. (CMC)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 06:12:09 PM »
Gayle an embarrassment to West Indies cricket: Hughes

Melbourne, May 17 (PTI) Chris Gayle has become an "embarrassment" for West Indies cricket after saying that he wouldn't cry if Test cricket died, feels former Australian captain Kim Hughes.
Gayle sparked an outrage when he said that he wanted to give up national captaincy and focus on playing Twenty20 cricket.

Hughes lambasted Gayle for his comments and said that he was an "embarrassment" to the game in the Caribbean.

The Aussie's criticism of Gayle was backed by West Indian legend Viv Richards, who felt the batsman's comments were "a total betrayal of the game that raised him".

Former Australian Test captains Ian Chappell and Mark Taylor went a step further and called for Gayle's sacking.

"There's been some surveys in recent times where 90 per cent or more of players still see Test cricket as the ultimate. If those people are being honest, that suggests even the younger players still want to play Test match cricket.

"But obviously comments like you've heard this week don't help," Taylor said.

Australian pacer Stuart Clark said Gayle was being "selfish" and the game was "bigger than one man". PTI

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 06:25:35 PM »
way holding, how come me ent here him yet
I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 06:41:20 PM »

Check yuh insurance policy make sure it pay up and hold yuh breath. Your beneficiary will b thankful.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 08:04:43 PM »

Check yuh insurance policy make sure it pay up and hold yuh breath. Your beneficiary will b thankful.

lol
I pity the fool....

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 08:34:48 AM »
yes, don't you know Holding thinks Gayle's the best captain ever...?
if that is our best- there's no reason we should expect to win.
 ;D

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 11:27:06 AM »
yes, don't you know Holding thinks Gayle's the best captain ever...?
if that is our best- there's no reason we should expect to win.
 ;D

Betta than Lloyd and Sir Frank. Gayle we need u like flour.

Offline shatta

• JAMAICA TO DI WORLD!. WHERE BROOKLYN AT!
  • Jr. Warrior
  • GANSTA FI LIFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 05:28:54 PM »
i hope they could give ramdin, so my boy could continue his world tour. 50/50 and 20/20 is the future of cricket. it has more excitment, pack stadiums, more money. club cricket is about to get popular just like europian football. test cricket is boring with few people in the stands. gayle could have stayed in the IPL but he came back to the squade even after signing a contract for 800,000 a match. the vise captin should have been able to run the squade. any one takes it over better be mentally strong. no body wanted it in the first place. shiv gave it up and sars. and it would also call for a public holiday in trinidad if ramdin could get it :rotfl:.   
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:30:29 PM by shatta »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 05:54:30 PM »
i hope they could give ramdin, so my boy could continue his world tour. 50/50 and 20/20 is the future of cricket. it has more excitment, pack stadiums, more money. club cricket is about to get popular just like europian football. test cricket is boring with few people in the stands. gayle could have stayed in the IPL but he came back to the squade even after signing a contract for 800,000 a match. the vise captin should have been able to run the squade. any one takes it over better be mentally strong. no body wanted it in the first place. shiv gave it up and sars. and it would also call for a public holiday in trinidad if ramdin could get it :rotfl:.   

We know he need d money he need some Shearer i.e. $5000 in he pocket. Gayle has always ben about money in 2000 under d astute leadership of yuh fellow Yardie James Clive Edwards aka Jimmy Adams and we lost in 2 days he say he eh care bout d reult once he get pay.

Dis is d man who dey appoint WI captin. So I  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: more than u

Offline shatta

• Jr. Warrior
  • GANSTA FI LIFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 06:19:24 PM »

We know he need d money he need some Shearer i.e. $5000 in he pocket. Gayle has always ben about money in 2000 under d astute leadership of yuh fellow Yardie James Clive Edwards aka Jimmy Adams and we lost in 2 days he say he eh care bout d reult once he get pay.

Dis is d man who dey appoint WI captin. So I  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: more than u

shit :o. a so shearer get popular mi neva know them use it inna south africa too. son, may be you are too late, sports is a business today. if manchester united do not pay cristiano ronaldo he will be off to real madrid, if the cavialares do not pay labran he will be off to the lakers, if you do not pay a track star he will not enter your meet and i also see notional football team players strike becuse lack of pay.  the WICB board is a piel of shit, and the sponsers did not pay these players earlier, so if there is an opertunity and  a open door any one would go. Bravo did not have to come back and if Taylor did not injured he would be gone. so i said ramdin to di worl for captin, :rotfl: then we would surly have some one to criticies  :rotfl:. i rate gayle highly for speaking his mind and not be a coward. both america and the english medias like to cause conflict around the world and i think this is a jig toward strauss not westindies or test cricket. and i want to tell you that i love the fact that every thing happen in jamaica you guys know, shows our popularity, i do not know notting about trinidad the only thing i ear is the kidnapping,racism and murders and i do not care.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 06:37:41 PM by shatta »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 06:55:48 PM »
Shatta, listen carefully, you might have heard we just qualified for another World Cup of football and are preparing to do battle in the hex. How's the J'can football team? GC still their WC?? ;D

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 06:56:54 PM »

shit :o. a so shearer get popular mi neva know them use it inna south africa too. son, may be you are too late, sports is a business today. if manchester united do not pay cristiano ronaldo he will be off to real madrid, if the cavialares do not pay labran he will be off to the lakers, if you do not pay a track star he will not enter your meet and i also see notional football team players strike becuse lack of pay.  the WICB board is a piel of shit, and the sponsers did not pay these players earlier, so if there is an opertunity and  a open door any one would go. Bravo did not have to come back and if Taylor did not injured he would be gone. so i said ramdin to di worl for captin, :rotfl: then we would surly have some one to criticies  :rotfl:. i rate gayle highly for speaking his mind and not be a coward. both america and the english medias like to cause conflict around the world and i think this is a jig toward strauss not westindies or test cricket. and i want to tell you that i love the fact that every thing happen in jamaica you guys know, shows our popularity, i do not know notting about trinidad the only thing i ear is the kidnapping,racism and murders and i do not care.

You do not care bout TNT but yuh on socawarriors.net. Is a good ting u woulda have more post than West Coast. When Lara spoke his mind every Tom/Dick and Holding had a problem.

Offline shatta

• Jr. Warrior
  • GANSTA FI LIFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 07:16:12 PM »
Shatta, listen carefully, you might have heard we just qualified for another World Cup of football and are preparing to do battle in the hex. How's the J'can football team? GC still their WC?? ;D

VB

that is for the football section, mi soon deel wid you guys for the mexico and costa rica match so by next week yu a see mi roun dhay ;D link up mi boy JUST COOL fi mi  ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 07:37:49 PM by shatta »

Offline shatta

• Jr. Warrior
  • GANSTA FI LIFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 07:25:34 PM »

You do not care bout TNT but yuh on socawarriors.net. Is a good ting u woulda have more post than West Coast. When Lara spoke his mind every Tom/Dick and Holding had a problem.

i am on this forum because of this type of things. i hered you guys are even more updated on jamaica than me. i narmally only poste comments when i see comments about jamaica or jamaicans. and the football is different becuse its just talking about sports not just about TNT but also EPL and more, so am not about getting info on TNT. and you also fine caribbean people on other ceribbean forumd, such as, cricket forum, track forum, and  reagea boyz forum. ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 07:36:29 PM by shatta »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 07:43:15 PM »

i am on this forum because of this type of things. i hered you guys are even more updated on jamaica than me. i narmally only poste comments when i see comments about jamaica or jamaicans. and the football is different becuse its just talking about sports not just about TNT but also EPL and more, so am not about getting info on TNT. and you also fine caribbean people on other ceribbean forumd, such as, cricket forum, track forum, and  reagea boyz forum. ;)

Yes I on other forums but I does behave like a guest in d peeps place. Ja2009 etal does want 2 come hear and get on like dey feel is Tivoli Gdns and dem is some Don.

Offline shatta

• Jr. Warrior
  • GANSTA FI LIFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 07:54:11 PM »

Yes I on other forums but I does behave like a guest in d peeps place. Ja2009 etal does want 2 come hear and get on like dey feel is Tivoli Gdns and dem is some Don.

yu funny, it seems like you offffff a mi :rotfl:. am from st thomas not tivali or any ghetto am just speaking my mind :devil:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 08:29:35 PM »

yu funny, it seems like you offffff a mi :rotfl:. am from st thomas not tivali or any ghetto am just speaking my mind :devil:

GR8 but yuh other pardners from dey.

1]; } ?>