April 25, 2024, 05:36:18 PM

Author Topic: Sisters help nab 72-y-o dad on sex rap  (Read 871 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sisters help nab 72-y-o dad on sex rap
« on: May 15, 2009, 07:36:12 PM »
Janet Silvera, Senior Gleaner Writer
WESTERN BUREAU:

After 40 years, four sisters will have their day in court having succeeded in getting their father arrested for sexual molestation.

The man, a 72-year-old retired teacher, who appeared in one of the island's Resident Magistrate's courts on Tuesday, was arrested by the police in 2008.

He is now blind, but that will not stop his daughters, who are now between 33 and 47 years old, from seeking justice.

"The possibility of him going to jail does give some satisfaction. The real problem lies with me having the gut feeling that my mother - and I use the word mother loosely - knew all that we suffered, and while all the suffering was taking place, she did not disapprove," the eldest daughter, Brigitte Smith (not her real name), told The Gleaner.

Smith, who lived in the United States for 25 years, moved back to Jamaica two years ago. She said the accused fled the US in 1988 during a trial for the same charges. In the middle of the trial at the US Family Court in New York state, he moved back to eastern Jamaica.

A report was made to the Jamaican police in July 2006.

Smith's other siblings, who are all professionals, still reside in the US and were in Jamaica up to Tuesday for the preliminary hearing.

Smith is an accountant, her sister Rhonda Moore (name changed) is a secretary with the US Government, Marie holds the position of a chief in the United States Air Force and Pauline is a university professor.

The four told The Gleaner that their ordeal started as early as age four.

"Mine lasted for 12 years, my other sisters had their experience varying years, with the youngest being the wisest because hers only lasted for six years," said Smith.

janet.silvera@gleanerjm.com

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: Sisters help nab 72-y-o dad on sex rap
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 08:15:12 PM »
why they wait so long to talk.that old man cyar make ah year in lockup.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sisters help nab 72-y-o dad on sex rap
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 08:44:14 PM »
why they wait so long to talk.that old man cyar make ah year in lockup.

Let Basil come 4 he in jail.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>