April 27, 2024, 08:58:31 AM

Author Topic: Glen signs with San Jose Earthquakes.  (Read 7104 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Glen signs with San Jose Earthquakes.
« on: May 16, 2009, 05:59:38 PM »
Glen signs with San Jose Earthquakes.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago striker Cornell Glen will be making a return to American Major League Soccer after signing with San Jose Earthquakes last Thursday.

Glen had been there on trial since last week and did enough to impress head coach Frank Yallop. The Earthquakes have signed Glen until the end of the season with the option to extend for the next season.

Yallop indicated that the Quakes do have a discovery claim on Glen, so the Quakes can take their time in assessing his ability without worrying about another club coming in and stealing him away.

Glen spent parts of three seasons in MLS beginning in 2004. He spent time with New York, Dallas, Columbus, Colorado, and Los Angeles, where an injury sidelined him for the last half of the 2006 season.

“It’s great to finally get a chance to come back out with an overseas club,” Glen told TTFF Media on Saturday.

“I’ve been working very hard towards this and coming here I felt this was the chance I had to grab. It’s good for me because I have the experience of playing in the MLS before and hopefully now I can establish myself again and help the club go on to greater things. They are an ambitious club and I hope to play a part in helping them achieve success,” Glen added.

Glen is expected to wear the San Jose shirt for the first time next Saturday against Houston Dynamos.

“I’m hoping to play a part for the National Team because that is every player’s dream. But it depends on whether I get called back. I think I need a few games under my belt but I’ll be ready once the call comes. We need desperately to get some good results in our upcoming games starting against Costa Rica,” said the 28-year-old Glen.

Yallop said he’s been eying the former LA Galaxy man for some time and is also reportedly interested in midfielder Densill Theobald.

“We had some interest in him the beginning of the year, but he wasn’t quite sure what he was going to do.

The ex-San Juan Jabloteh and Futgof striker  spent parts of three seasons in MLS beginning in 2004. He is a former player with  York/New Jersey Metrostars, Dallas FC, Columbus Crew, Colorado Rapids and LA where an injury at the 2006 World Cup put him on the sidelines for some time before the club parted ways with him. He also spent the early part of his professional career in Portugal.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Glen signs with San Jose Earthquakes.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 06:11:53 PM »
Yallop said he’s been eying the former LA Galaxy man for some time and is also reportedly interested in midfielder Densill Theobald.

:o ???

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 06:12:25 PM »
speed kills
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 06:13:35 PM »

:o ???
Congrats Cornel  :rotfl: :applause:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 06:47:32 PM by weary1969 »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 06:18:53 PM »
Talk nah...diaz for Glen not Bleeder. Talk nah. All who say Glen eh good, whey alyuh horse in the race. Talk nah.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 06:20:53 PM »
congrats

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 06:53:09 PM »
Cornell come like de Clint Marcelle of de MLS. Dis is his sixth team.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 07:12:12 PM »
Congrats to Glen  :beermug: :applause:

ah man dat fast and talented should get to showcase it more frequently
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 07:20:40 PM »
good goin glen.prove yuh worthiness hoss.yuh deserve to start fuh de warriors. :beermug:
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline #8

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 07:49:18 PM »
merge the Glen on trial thread when ya'll get a chance moderators.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 08:10:09 PM »
Talk nah...diaz for Glen not Bleeder. Talk nah. All who say Glen eh good, whey alyuh horse in the race. Talk nah.

He still has a poor first touch and does not run well with the ball at his feet, but as i have said in the past he can finish well and of course there is no substitute for raw speed and when utlized properly it can have a telling effect.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 08:39:27 PM »

He still has a poor first touch and does not run well with the ball at his feet, but as i have said in the past he can finish well and of course there is no substitute for raw speed and when utlized properly it can have a telling effect.

I hope you coaching Man United or Barcelona cause an MLS coach just sign the man you talking about the man first touch. Well let him go without he first touch he could finish.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 08:59:23 PM »
I would reserve comment until he actually make an impact with Barc.. AC Mil.. Aston Vi...errr.. San Jose...This is what his sixth MLS team...he been really doing well..

Buh dat aside..I wish him well..i once believed he could be the Eto'o of concacaf...he seemed to be close to being dat up til the world cup..since the injury he's hardly been convincing...

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 10:50:26 PM »
I would reserve comment until he actually make an impact with Barc.. AC Mil.. Aston Vi...errr.. San Jose...This is what his sixth MLS team...he been really doing well..

Buh dat aside..I wish him well..i once believed he could be the Eto'o of concacaf...he seemed to be close to being dat up til the world cup..since the injury he's hardly been convincing...

Alyuh eh easy nah, alyuh could put sand in man rice boy whey sah. Anyway you play for Barc.... AC Mil....Aston Vi....errr....nobody nah.

Offline #8

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 11:11:37 PM »
I can't help but comment on some of the posts in regards to the fact that this is Glen's 6th MLS team as some sort of measuring stick to him not being a player/striker of quality...I'm not debating the fact that he's been inconsistent and injury prone but don't ovelook the FACTS which are...1.after joining the then metrostars and lighting it up in his first season..he never expected to get caught up in a trade/bargaining whirlwind at the end of that season which as a player in the mls you have 0 control over(1 day you're in kansas city and the next day you have to pack up everything and be in san jose for a game the day after that..just ask Scott Sealey)..2.He never played a game for dallas...was merely caught up in another trade move which involved other players/draft picks etc 3.his worth went up after the world cup/having it on his resume etc and the gm of the galaxy at that time felt differently about that even implying that he was making too much before playing in the world cup..so that LA situation was bound to crash and his injury situation didn't help much. 4. his former LA coach has trouble scoring goals/winning games with his present team..of all the player's number he can dig up..he pulls Cornell Glen out his phonebook. 5.Before different leagues started this year several teams where VERY keen in having Glen's signature on paper/services but couldn't afford him(see the beginning of fact 3) and that list includes former coaches and employers.

Say "his first touch is poor" and "apart from his speed he's rubbish" and all the other stuff  but don't imply that because he's been with 5 mls clubs before this he's not a quality player/striker or that he had serious control on his 'bouncing' around.

#8...PRESIDENT of THE GLEN FOR GOALS COMMITTEE
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 11:43:29 PM by #8 »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 11:16:26 PM »
I can't help but comment on some of the posts in regards to the fact that this is Glen's 6th MLS team as some sort of measuring stick to him not being a player/striker of quality...I'm not debating the fact that he's been inconsistent and injury prone but don't ovelook the FACTS which are...1.after joining the then metrostars and lighting it up in his first season..he never expected to get caught up in a trade/bargaining whirlwind at the end of that season which as a player in the mls you have 0 control over(1 day you're in kansas city and the next day you have to pack up everything and be in san jose for a game the day after that..just ask Scott Sealey)..2.He never played a game for dallas...was merely caught up in another trade move which involved other players/draft picks etc 3.his worth went up after the world cup/having it on his resume etc and the gm of the galaxy at that time felt differently about that even implying that he was making too much before playing in the world cup..so that LA situation was bound to crash and his injury situation didn't help much. 4. his former LA coach has trouble scoring goals/winning games with his present team..of all the player's number he can dig up..he pulls Cornell Glen out his phonebook. 5.Before different leagues started this year several teams where VERY keen in having Glen's signature on paper/services but couldn't afford him(see the beginning of fact 3) and that list includes former coaches and employers.

Say "his first touch is poor" and "apart from his speed he's rubbish" and all the other stuff  but don't imply that because he's been with 5 mls clubs before this he's not a quality player/striker or that he had serious control on his 'bouncing' around.

#8...President of the Glen for goals committe

Nobody 1st touch good he own a good KJ a good but dey bein sign wit dey no 1st touch. So gr8 4 oui dem foreign coach go wuk on dey 1st touch and we go benefit no problem
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 12:21:59 AM »

what they go say bout men like Anelka

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 06:48:38 AM »

fair enough..i don't know where ppl getting glen's first touch poor..it's never been an issue for me..his fault whihch has been glaring to me since his return from injury has been decision making in an around the 18 as well as his striker's instinct...these two things nullify his strengths for me..but he has been a bit unfortunate...
as I said after my cruel joke earlier..I hope he pulls it together in this leg..bcuz he has potential to be a great striker...

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 11:40:04 AM »
Congrats Glen.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 11:42:57 AM »

Don't study them fellas, you don't have to explain anything. Cornell scored in every game in Argentina I believe when the National team was on tour, he eh get pick. Nobody could score a goal save for him and man talking about first touch.  Forget them.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 02:16:37 PM »
As the more mature (older) heads on this site tend to say from time to time, we in T&T cannot afford to discard players the likes of Cornell. Glenn is easily one of the very best strikers we have ever had. We as a people seem to suffer from a huge sense of inferiority complex probably passed on from our Colonial masters.

Is there any footballer in the world who doesn't possess flaws? No!  Why then, when it comes to our own players some of us tend to highlight, gravitate, seek out, put a spotlight on, what they can't do well. A player isn't picked for what they can't do well. They obviously possess strengths that they tend to be superior at. Why not highlight those strengths?

Of course, I am not suggesting here that we cannot have a constructive appraisal of a player's qualifications for a particular position. Sure we could mention a weakness in a player's game; but, if we were uninformed observers, we would think that Glenn eh no good boy.

Look! Glenn, is undoubtedly a very good player. Period

Thanks #8.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 02:18:50 PM by Cocorite »
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 03:29:33 PM »
As the more mature (older) heads on this site tend to say from time to time, we in T&T cannot afford to discard players the likes of Cornell. Glenn is easily one of the very best strikers we have ever had. We as a people seem to suffer from a huge sense of inferiority complex probably passed on from our Colonial masters.

Is there any footballer in the world who doesn't possess flaws? No!  Why then, when it comes to our own players some of us tend to highlight, gravitate, seek out, put a spotlight on, what they can't do well. A player isn't picked for what they can't do well. They obviously possess strengths that they tend to be superior at. Why not highlight those strengths?

Of course, I am not suggesting here that we cannot have a constructive appraisal of a player's qualifications for a particular position. Sure we could mention a weakness in a player's game; but, if we were uninformed observers, we would think that Glenn eh no good boy.

Thanks #8.
I think this debate started when Cornell didn't get selected and certain people used that opportunity to question and/or cry down Stern, as if Stern take Cornell place. At that point people start to compare and critique and choose camps.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 03:53:29 PM by Cool Beans »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 03:38:21 PM »
Congrats Cornell...

Happy for him....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 04:05:18 PM »

Thanks #8.
I think this debate started when Cornell didn't get selected and certain people used that opportunity to question and/or cry down Stern, as if Stern take Cornell place. At that point people start to compare and critique and choose camps.

i differ..

i think this debate started because alot of people on this forum live and thrive on negativity and constant fight down, and feel unfulfilled when a day come and they have nothing to criticise..

it does never cease to amaze me..

instead of yuh feel happy for de bredda and big up yuh fellow countryman for getting a break that will only be to our team's benefit, yuh hadda jump up in a heap ah shit talk about 'he doh have ah first touch' and 'he doh score goals'. steups

sometimes is just to shake yuh head yes.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 04:10:44 PM »

Thanks #8.

i differ..

i think this debate started because alot of people on this forum live and thrive on negativity and constant fight down, and feel unfulfilled when a day come and they have nothing to criticise..

it does never cease to amaze me..

instead of yuh feel happy for de bredda and big up yuh fellow countryman for getting a break that will only be to our team's benefit, yuh hadda jump up in a heap ah shit talk about 'he doh have ah first touch' and 'he doh score goals'. steups

sometimes is just to shake yuh head yes.
But I never see none ah dat talk before until he get leave out and people start to compare who better dan who. And this:
All who say Glen eh good, whey alyuh horse in the race. Talk nah.
invite de talk into dis thread as well.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 04:11:31 PM »
I knew this guy would get the break he so deserved,congrats cornell go with the almighty.....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Glen's deal is still to be finalized
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 04:38:20 AM »
By Jeff Carlisle (centerlinesoccer.com)

There is now some additional substance behind the Cornell Glen reports, although a deal has not been completed as of yet.

Speaking to the Washington Post’s Steven Goff, Glen’s agent, Patrick McCabe indicated that “We hope to have everything finalized early next week.” As for the roster impact, I will double check with the Quakes’ brass on Monday, but my understanding is that with Ryan Cochrane on injured reserve, the Quakes don’t have to let anyone go in order to add Glen to the roster. There need only be space within the salary cap.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Glen's deal is still to be finalized
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 05:22:42 AM »
By Jeff Carlisle (centerlinesoccer.com)

There is now some additional substance behind the Cornell Glen reports, although a deal has not been completed as of yet.

Speaking to the Washington Post’s Steven Goff, Glen’s agent, Patrick McCabe indicated that “We hope to have everything finalized early next week.” As for the roster impact, I will double check with the Quakes’ brass on Monday, but my understanding is that with Ryan Cochrane on injured reserve, the Quakes don’t have to let anyone go in order to add Glen to the roster. There need only be space within the salary cap.

Look dot does i's and cross does t's pleaseeeeeeeee

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 07:40:23 AM »
Cornell come like de Clint Marcelle of de MLS. Dis is his sixth team.

Add to that, Cornell is only 28!!! I thought he was older, he seems to have been around for ever. At this rate if this deal does get finalised he making serious headway into surpassin Clint.

It go take ah serious effort though, being as he would have to play for almost every MLS team in existence.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 09:42:02 AM »
Big congrats to meh boy Glen. Well done breddah. Ah was feeling yuh pain for months upon months as yuh tried to pick up yuhself and believe again. Real happy for you.  :beermug: :beermug:

Weapon of mass destrauction. Period.  >:(
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

1]; } ?>