April 27, 2024, 12:08:34 PM

Author Topic: Glen signs with San Jose Earthquakes.  (Read 7105 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Glen signs with San Jose Earthquakes.
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 10:03:20 AM »
As the more mature (older) heads on this site tend to say from time to time, we in T&T cannot afford to discard players the likes of Cornell. Glenn is easily one of the very best strikers we have ever had. We as a people seem to suffer from a huge sense of inferiority complex probably passed on from our Colonial masters.

Is there any footballer in the world who doesn't possess flaws? No!  Why then, when it comes to our own players some of us tend to highlight, gravitate, seek out, put a spotlight on, what they can't do well. A player isn't picked for what they can't do well. They obviously possess strengths that they tend to be superior at. Why not highlight those strengths?

Of course, I am not suggesting here that we cannot have a constructive appraisal of a player's qualifications for a particular position. Sure we could mention a weakness in a player's game; but, if we were uninformed observers, we would think that Glenn eh no good boy.

Look! Glenn, is undoubtedly a very good player. Period

Thanks #8.
I think this debate started when Cornell didn't get selected and certain people used that opportunity to question and/or cry down Stern, as if Stern take Cornell place. At that point people start to compare and critique and choose camps.

i differ..

i think this debate started because alot of people on this forum live and thrive on negativity and constant fight down, and feel unfulfilled when a day come and they have nothing to criticise..

it does never cease to amaze me..

instead of yuh feel happy for de bredda and big up yuh fellow countryman for getting a break that will only be to our team's benefit, yuh hadda jump up in a heap ah shit talk about 'he doh have ah first touch' and 'he doh score goals'. steups

sometimes is just to shake yuh head yes.
But I never see none ah dat talk before until he get leave out and people start to compare who better dan who. And this:
All who say Glen eh good, whey alyuh horse in the race. Talk nah.
invite de talk into dis thread as well.

Cool Beans don't talk shyte....invite what talk. Apparently you cannot speak or understand Trinbagonian language. "Talk nah" is not an invitation. Blame somebody else for the negative shyte you all gone.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline 7 blessings

• Lion II Zion
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 11:53:35 AM »
Oh gorm dis make meh smile boi...any kinda break my boi get i glad for it...keep progressing season ten Cornell Glen...i backin yuh 100% as always
Jesus Christ died for us....now it's time for us to Live for Him

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Glen deal pending; won’t play this weekend
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2009, 08:30:06 PM »
Glen deal pending; won’t play this weekend
By Jeff Carlisle (centerlinesoccer.com)

Quakes manager Frank Yallop finally admitted that the Quakes are looking to sign Cornell Glen. Alas, the dreaded “league approval” for the deal still needs to be obtained. Yallop added that even if the T&T striker did sign he wouldn’t suit up this weekend against Houston.

Some are calling the move an act of desperation. San Jose is definitely desperate, but the fact is that Glen is an improvement on what the Quakes already have. The flashes that Quincy Amarikwa has shown in practice have yet to translate into games, meaning Yallop needed another speed option on the roster. Whether it drastically changes the team’s fortunes only time will tell.

“He’s something different to what we have,” said Yallop of Glen. “He’s lower to the ground - we have some big guys obviously - he pacy, and he’s got a good football brain. He should help us if we can get him agreed [on a contract]. We’ll find out in the next few days if everything is agreed…We want to sign him so were just trying to get the paperwork and the figures worked out. But I expect him to sign.”

When asked if Glen did sign would that mean he would play this weekend, Yallop responded with a firm, “No.”

The Quakes took part in an intra-squad scrimmage today, complete with referees. Unfortunately, by the time I got there, Glen had tweaked an ankle and was sitting on the bench. Yallop indicated it was nothing serious.

I tried to ask Glen about it, but per their custom, the San Jose staff refused to allow me to talk to him since he is not officially signed. On the positive side, one Quake player said that Glen has been playing very well in training over the last week.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2009, 01:36:25 PM »
pending.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2009, 01:43:05 PM »
Careful Cornell, Yuh know how yuh does geh excited when you've been hungy and waiting a long time. Watch dem tackles and take care of yuh body breds. No more torn cruciates please and torn hamstring. Ankle tweak ah could live wit'.

When de time come .... Bus dem up!
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2009, 02:03:59 PM »
Yeah...he's an injury waiting to happen. I hope the US medical ppl take care of him and show him the proper way to mind his body so he could be strong for a next 3-4 years and have a decent career.

He just hadda watch Owen and see how things is change when the speed start to desert you though and study Giggs to see how to adapt to that inevitablity.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2009, 04:54:05 PM »
It's been officialized by a press release today:

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3829847

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 05:03:33 PM »
niceness :applause: .....................finally ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 05:07:59 PM »
niceness :applause: .....................finally ;)

Cosign
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 05:09:52 PM »
 :beermug:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009, 05:18:20 PM »
 :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline #8

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2009, 09:48:39 PM »
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- The San Jose Earthquakes announced Tuesday that the team has signed Trinidad and Tobago national team forward Cornell Glen. Per league and team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed. He will count as an international on the Earthquakes senior roster.
"Cornell brings a change of pace to the team that we don't have right now. He is a good-all around player," said General Manager of Soccer Operations John Doyle. "He has been able to score goals at the international level and we are looking forward to seeing the impact that he makes in MLS."

The 5-9 forward made his Trinidad and Tobago national team debut in November of 2002 against St. Kitts & Nevis. Glen has been a regular with the national team since 2002 and in 2006 he participated in Trinidad and Tobago's first FIFA World Cup, where he appeared in all three of Trinidad and Tobago's matches. Since his debut with the national team, Glen has made 55 appearances and notched 22 goals.

Glen, 28, returns to Major League Soccer after spending the past few seasons playing in his home country for San Juan Jabloteh. Glenn played in MLS over the course of three seasons from 2004-2006 with the MetroStars, FC Dallas, Columbus Crew, Colorado Rapids and Los Angeles Galaxy. He scored six goals in 18 games in his first year in the league with the MetroStars in 2004. He has made 45 career appearances in MLS, and scored 12 goals and notched six assists.

The Trinidad and Tobago native made his professional debut in 1999 with Trinidadian club Futgof. After two years with Futgof and a short stint with Portugese club A.D. Sanjoanense, Glen returned to his home country and joined San Juan Jabloteh. In his two and a half years with Jabloteh, he helped lead the team to two consecutive league championships in 2002 and 2003, while scoring 37 goals.

To comply with MLS roster rules, the Earthquakes also placed forward Davide Somma on waivers.

Transaction: San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) - Earthquakes sign F Cornell Glen. Earthquakes place F Davide Somma on waivers.

#8...PRESIDENT OF THE GLEN FOR GOALS COMMITTEE

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2009, 10:19:29 PM »
Congrats to Cornell. Hope things work out better for him this rounds!
:beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2009, 11:28:02 PM »
Ah hope Glen stays injury free dis rounds and go on to have a successful career.  Is time fuh Glen to turn his potential to results.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2009, 01:12:29 AM »
play yuh fitball
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2009, 05:40:54 AM »
Whenever you take up a spot as an International Player on the roster, you could never be comfortable in the MLS. I hope he score some goals this year and make it hard for them at least. Come on Cornell, last chance saloon!
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2009, 02:51:23 PM »
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/05/sbis-midday-musings-1.html

San Jose has completed the signing of Trinidad & Tobago forward Cornell Glen. Call that signing the move of a desperate team (and a team actively trying to shake up its roster via trades). Those who remember Glen from his first stint in MLS will remember a fast but wildly inconsistent player who wasn't the best locker room personality (he played for four MLS teams in three seasons for a reason). Has the 29-year-old striker matured with age (and after having played in the 2006 World Cup)? That remains to be seen, but adding a player with a reputation as a bad locker room guy to a team struggling badly results could end badly.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2009, 04:03:39 PM »
Huckerby is out on injury, and Glen is eligible to play tonight, so I would guess he is starting against the Crew. Match begins 7:30 Eastern.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2009, 04:04:47 PM »
Huckerby is out on injury, and Glen is eligible to play tonight, so I would guess he is starting against the Crew. Match begins 7:30 Eastern.

Is it being broadcast live?

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2009, 04:26:32 PM »

Is it being broadcast live?

only on Direct Kick from DirecTV. It will be on the radio http://radiotime.com/WebTuner.aspx?StationId=35297&

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2009, 05:31:24 PM »
He's listed as a sub

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2009, 07:05:34 PM »
he's been subbed in in the 68th minute
video link here:

http://atdhe.net/

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2009, 07:47:09 AM »
Looking for a spark, S.J. Earthquakes add speedy forward Cornell Glen
By Mark Emmons (San Jose Mercury)

The San Jose Earthquakes are going nowhere fast. And that helps explain why they added forward Cornell Glen to the roster this week.

Glen, a 5-foot-9 native of Trinidad and Tobago, is very fast. The hope is he will bring an energy burst to an Earthquakes squad that's in desperate need of a new direction. Oh, and it would be helpful if he has brought along a few goals with him from the Caribbean, too.

"I bring something different to the Quakes with my speed," Glen said. "The forwards they've had here are not that fast. But they hold the ball very well and are talented skill-wise. They can really serve the ball well. So I can help stretch the defenses a bit for them."

His home debut should come tonight at Buck Shaw Stadium in a game against Real Salt Lake that has a must-win quality for the Earthquakes (1-7-2). They are riding a five-game losing streak, have the league's fewest points (five) and their minus-11 goal differential is the worst in MLS.

With the season in danger of slipping away, the Earthquakes invited Glen to San Jose nearly three weeks ago to train with the team while he waited for visa issues to be settled. When that finally happened, he played 22 minutes as a substitute in the 2-1 loss Wednesday at Columbus.

"It has been very difficult watching games," he said, "This is a team I knew I was going to be part of, and we haven't been winning. I'm so glad that's over. Now I can try to help the team move up the table."

The reason why the Earthquakes zeroed in on Glen is because Frank Yallop coached him previously when they were in Los Angeles.

"Frank liked him and he's something that we need," said John Doyle, the Earthquakes general manager. "He's a good finisher. This also is a second chance for him in the MLS. I think that will go a long way because he really wants to prove himself."

Glen, 28, has scored 22 goals in 55 appearances for his national team and had a strong performance in the 2006 World Cup. But his record was mixed in a previous tour through MLS when he was with five teams over the course of three seasons from 2004 to 2006.

His most memorable game came against the old Earthquakes at Spartan Stadium in 2004. In his first MLS start with the MetroStars, Glen scored two goals and added an assist in a wild 5-5 tie. His second goal was the equalizer in the closing minutes when he deflected a shot off his right heel.

"That was one of the great games in MLS history," Glen said. "It was just a once-in-a-lifetime event. I think that was one of the best goals in my career."

But Glen couldn't fulfill the early promise he showed. Injuries played a role. But he also hints at a lack of maturity during his first pass through the league.

"You get wiser with time," said Glen, who has 12 goals and six assists in 46 MLS games. "When you're young, there are some things you do that you come to regret years later. For instance, I've learned the importance of staying fit. I know I'm a good player who can score goals, but I have to be on the field."

Part of it, Doyle believes, was the culture shock coming from a small Caribbean nation to the U.S.

"Sometimes players from the islands come over and they're a little surprised by everything," he said. "It's not the soccer, but everything else."

Doyle stressed that Glen, who will miss next weekend's game against FC Dallas because of national team commitments, isn't expected to be a savior — just a piece to the puzzle.

The Earthquakes clearly are reeling in every facet of the game. It hasn't helped that they continue to be without star English attacking midfielder Darren Huckerby (strained quadriceps muscle). But their defense arguably has been worse than the offense.

"We're still looking for players," added Doyle, who recently was scouting in Costa Rica and has a trip to Brazil planned. "We definitely have to improve. So far this season hasn't gone the way we would have liked, that's for sure."

Glen hopes he can be part of the solution.

"I can help this team a lot," he said.

1]; } ?>