April 27, 2024, 10:01:37 AM

Author Topic: The Official Transfer Thread (2009-2010 season) players & coaches.  (Read 103642 times)

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Transfer Thread (2009-2010 season) players & coaches.
« Reply #210 on: July 01, 2009, 01:10:13 PM »
Real really have dat kinda bank? Be real funny if they eh win nothing the next couple years.

Hi hater.

Is not just the money, cos other clubs have money too.

We need to re-build our team just like Barca was doing before they won the "treble".

And we've only signed four players so far, and we're going to be getting rid of a lot of players (I really don't want Sneijder to go) to provide additional revenue.

So far Drenthe and Metzelder already on the way out.

i doh think u can compare real to barca in terms of team building....allyuh just buying up the stars, same as chelsea and same as u did a few years ago....

So that's not team building? And they all have long contracts. That's not team building? C Ronaldo and Benzema are still quite young.

And study that ManU wanted to buy Benzema too...but I guess if it was them it would have qualified as "team building".

since when re-creating the Galaticos is team building?

which super big stars barca went out and acquired to build their team?  seems to me they invested more in youth and up coming stars to build their team and now they are reaping the success  -similar as utd.

Allyuh sad yes. Wham to Barca and dey big "Fantastic Four"...you see Barca squad? And now they have Alves.

Milan wanted to sell Kaka anyway, Ronaldo was always going to leave and Benzema always wanted to play for Madrid.

You just vex cos we have the money and the allure to attract those kind of players.

www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 01, 2009, 01:13:07 PM »
Real really have dat kinda bank? Be real funny if they eh win nothing the next couple years.

Hi hater.

We need to re-build our team just like Barca was doing before they won the "treble".

And we've only signed four players so far, and we're going to be getting rid of a lot of players (I really don't want Sneijder to go) to provide additional revenue.

i doh think u can compare real to barca in terms of team building....allyuh just buying up the stars, same as chelsea and same as u did a few years ago....

So that's not team building? And they all have long contracts. That's not team building? C Ronaldo and Benzema are still quite young.

And study that ManU wanted to buy Benzema too...but I guess if it was them it would have qualified as "team building".

which super big stars barca went out and acquired to build their team?  seems to me they invested more in youth and up coming stars to build their team and now they are reaping the success  -similar as utd.

Allyuh sad yes. Wham to Barca and dey big "Fantastic Four"...you see Barca squad? And now they have Alves.

Milan wanted to sell Kaka anyway, Ronaldo was always going to leave and Benzema always wanted to play for Madrid.

You just vex cos we have the money and the allure to attract those kind of players.

But Barca didnt' buy the fantastic four in one fell swoop now did they?

Eto'o was an up and comer for Mallorca when he joined..

Messi came through the youth system and the ranks.. So did Iniesta and Xavi.

Dani Alves was real good, but not on the level of a kaka, ronaldo or benzema.

Henry was the only established superstar to join Barca.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 01, 2009, 01:16:46 PM »

Hi hater.

But Barca didnt' buy the fantastic four in one fell swoop now did they?

Eto'o was an up and comer for Mallorca when he joined..

Messi came through the youth system and the ranks.. So did Iniesta and Xavi.

Dani Alves was real good, but not on the level of a kaka, ronaldo or benzema.

Henry was the only established superstar to join Barca.

Benzema and Albiol are not "established super stars".

And you're missing the point that Kaka and Ronaldo were always going to go...it just so happened that they wanted to go to Madrid.

Allyuh could suck salt.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 01, 2009, 05:06:17 PM »
we still bussing allyuh tail
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 01, 2009, 05:23:45 PM »
we still bussing allyuh tail

Yuh wish.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 01, 2009, 08:18:46 PM »
Hello, mine was an innocent query. I don't believe FF had malicious intent either.

:devil:
Yuh think I have time to study him. I not on the cyber bad man sh*t, that's why I did not respond to him when he commented on meh post. I am on this site to give and to obtain information and make some friends along the way. Cheers acb  :beermug:

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #217 on: July 01, 2009, 10:03:53 PM »
Hello, mine was an innocent query. I don't believe FF had malicious intent either.

Yuh think I have time to study him. I not on the cyber bad man sh*t, that's why I did not respond to him when he commented on meh post. I am on this site to give and to obtain information and make some friends along the way. Cheers acb  :beermug:

I here to do everything you doing too .... and demonize ManU ;D
cheers :beermug:

throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 01, 2009, 11:58:06 PM »
Now all we need to get is Ribery who just turned down a new contract from Bayern.

That would really make me laugh.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 02, 2009, 12:45:50 AM »
Now all we need to get is Ribery who just turned down a new contract from Bayern.

I got to give it to to you all, fantastic job so far in the transfer window, I hope you all don't pop down with so much big egos on one team. Man.U always finds a way to get the best out of whatever players they got. I hope Fergie signs Sergio Aguero.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 02, 2009, 11:04:44 AM »

I got to give it to to you all, fantastic job so far in the transfer window, I hope you all don't pop down with so much big egos on one team. Man.U always finds a way to get the best out of whatever players they got. I hope Fergie signs Sergio Aguero.

I don't think we'll have that many egos to deal with...besides maybe Raul who I don't think has a place in the first team. He should ride the bench and give the youngsters a chance. C Ronaldo is a diva, but he performs on the pitch. Kaka has always been a chill dude. If we get Ribery...well I don't know what his attitude is like.

www.westindiantube.com

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 02, 2009, 11:16:33 AM »
It's Real Madrid or nothing, says Franck Ribéry
• Chelsea and Manchester United set for another snub
• France midfielder intent on leaving Bayern Munich

Chelsea and Manchester United's hopes of signing Franck Ribéry appear to be receding, with the France midfielder saying he wants to leave Bayern Munich and join Real Madrid.

Ribéry is quoted today in L'Equipe saying: "I have made up my mind, I want to leave. It will be Real or nothing. I will wait to see how things pan out but I would like to hold talks with the Bayern management soon."

Chelsea had identified Ribéry as a possible headline signing but feared that his compatriot Zinedine Zidane, now a special adviser at Real, would use his influence to bring the 26-year-old to the Bernabéu.

Manchester United have also been linked with Ribéry although their new policy of signing only players under 26 had made Old Trafford a less likely destination.

Ribéry's compatriot Karim Benzema has already agreed to join the Spanish side from Lyon and become Real's third major signing of the summer after the arrivals of Kaka from Milan and Cristiano Ronaldo from United.

Bayern officials have repeatedly said Ribéry, who joined them in 2007 from Marseille, is not for sale. Their general manager Uli Hoeness does not believe Ribéry's desire to leave alters their position. "Does Franck want to go to Real?" he asked. "For us, that changes absolutely anything. Life is not always a fairytale. Real have not made us a specific proposal and we do not need their money."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/02/franck-ribery-real-madrid-chelsea-manchester-united
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 02, 2009, 11:25:14 AM »
Inter complete deal for midfielder Motta

nter Milan have completed the signing of Thiago Motta from Genoa.

The 26-year-old Brazilian midfielder has agreed a four-year deal with the Italian champions.

Motta scored six goals in 21 league appearances to help Genoa to a surprise fifth-place in Serie A last season.

"FC Internazionale are pleased to announce that Thiago Motta has joined the club on a four-year deal from Genoa," read a statement on the club's official website.

As part of the deal for Motta, Inter youngsters Francesco Bolzoni, Leonardo Bonucci and Riccardo Meggiorini will move to Genoa on a permanent basis.

The South American star will be unveiled to the media once Jose Mourinho's squad begins pre-season training later this month.

Inter confirmed earlier this week the signing of Motta's former Genoa team-mate Diego Milito.

Més que un club.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 02, 2009, 11:59:54 AM »
It's Real Madrid or nothing, says Franck Ribéry
• Chelsea and Manchester United set for another snub
• France midfielder intent on leaving Bayern Munich

Chelsea and Manchester United's hopes of signing Franck Ribéry appear to be receding, with the France midfielder saying he wants to leave Bayern Munich and join Real Madrid.

Ribéry is quoted today in L'Equipe saying: "I have made up my mind, I want to leave. It will be Real or nothing. I will wait to see how things pan out but I would like to hold talks with the Bayern management soon."

Chelsea had identified Ribéry as a possible headline signing but feared that his compatriot Zinedine Zidane, now a special adviser at Real, would use his influence to bring the 26-year-old to the Bernabéu.

Manchester United have also been linked with Ribéry although their new policy of signing only players under 26 had made Old Trafford a less likely destination.

Ribéry's compatriot Karim Benzema has already agreed to join the Spanish side from Lyon and become Real's third major signing of the summer after the arrivals of Kaka from Milan and Cristiano Ronaldo from United.

Bayern officials have repeatedly said Ribéry, who joined them in 2007 from Marseille, is not for sale. Their general manager Uli Hoeness does not believe Ribéry's desire to leave alters their position. "Does Franck want to go to Real?" he asked. "For us, that changes absolutely anything. Life is not always a fairytale. Real have not made us a specific proposal and we do not need their money."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/02/franck-ribery-real-madrid-chelsea-manchester-united

If Zidane say go Real, he will go Real.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 02, 2009, 12:12:43 PM »
Damn you Real.

Lyon go be lucky if they make Champions league next year, let alone the title- Juninho gone to pasture, de benz out...and Bordeaux and Marseille only getting stronger...I go laugh if Domenech ent pick him for the World Cup when is level bench he getting  ::)

Bench where? Madrid? They're trying to offload the Dutchies and them...specially Robben.

Doh study he an he schupid talk dey just sour :rotfl:

All de big players dey want doh want dem ah wonder how come :devil:

Aaaaah...I see...he's a ManBooer

Doh get yuh wires cross Toppa...doh let FK with he jonny come lately self tie you up.

It have nuff men in here throwing words at ManUre - I could care less about any of alyuh European elite teams.

I just vex Ligue 1 losing one of the few genuine stars it still have. I boycotting supporting any team from Spain, Italy or England in European competition long time now...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 02, 2009, 12:54:22 PM »
Madrid goan bid for Maicon too.  :heehee:
www.westindiantube.com

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #226 on: July 02, 2009, 12:57:11 PM »

I remember reading someone make the point that with the Galacticos project winning titles is incidental.

They way they market their brand these players are not even that much of a gamble. They have access to money from their new TV deal and bank financing. They will make plenty money from shirt sales of Ronaldo and Kaka.

But they also go on plenty junket friendlies collecting as much as 10 Million dollars a pop. Sometimes they go for less but work out deals where Spanish companies get business, like construction contracts, in the country that they visit. When it comes to that part of the business no club comes close to Real.

On the football field Real has gone well past the point of diminishing returns. It only have one ball. Kaka and Ronaldo definitely making yuh better, but with them men loading th  gun it have plenty men who could complement them, plenty of them men already at Real so there is not much need to go for a Benzema. Yet at the back they don't have solid players
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 01:00:56 PM by JDB »
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 02, 2009, 12:57:38 PM »
Damn you Real.

Lyon go be lucky if they make Champions league next year, let alone the title- Juninho gone to pasture, de benz out...and Bordeaux and Marseille only getting stronger...I go laugh if Domenech ent pick him for the World Cup when is level bench he getting  ::)

Bench where? Madrid? They're trying to offload the Dutchies and them...specially Robben.

Doh study he an he schupid talk dey just sour :rotfl:

All de big players dey want doh want dem ah wonder how come :devil:

Aaaaah...I see...he's a ManBooer

Doh get yuh wires cross Toppa...doh let FK with he jonny come lately self tie you up.

It have nuff men in here throwing words at ManUre - I could care less about any of alyuh European elite teams.

I just vex Ligue 1 losing one of the few genuine stars it still have. I boycotting supporting any team from Spain, Italy or England in European competition long time now...

So yuh is jus ah sympathizer den :devil:

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 02, 2009, 01:32:30 PM »
Ok so far as it is, we looking at:

Casillas

Ramos     Albiol   Heinze     Marcelo

Diarra

Ronaldo         Kaka             Ribery

Benzema      Raul (VNR)

Bench: Van Nistelrooy, Robben, Schneider, Diarra, Garay, Metzelder, Drenthe

This side still have a soft underbelly.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 02, 2009, 01:43:40 PM »

Casillas

Diarra

Benzema      Raul (VNR)

Dreads, yuh whole bench getting sell. And no way Raul starting. Higuain in his spot.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 02, 2009, 03:51:57 PM »

Casillas

Diarra

Benzema      Raul (VNR)

Dreads, yuh whole bench getting sell. And no way Raul starting. Higuain in his spot.

But he wha talk bout we side.... steups
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 02, 2009, 03:52:26 PM »
this side still have  have some soft spots defensively, which will b more glaring if they not playing keep ball.

i hear madrid  watching maicon. they better stop their greediness eh, shocks man
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 02, 2009, 04:06:54 PM »
Well yes...

desperation or shrewd move??

Michael Owen on verge of shock move to Manchester United

• 29-year-old could have medical today
• United hope striker can rebuild career with champions

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/02/michael-owen-manchester-united-transfer

Michael Owen is on the verge of an astonishing move to Manchester United to supply some of the goals that have been lost in the wake of Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez leaving Old Trafford. Owen, recently linked with Stoke City and Hull City and written off in many quarters as a has-been, was holding talks with the Premier League champions last night and will complete one of the most unexpected transfers of the summer if he passes a stringent medical examination.

That is expected to take place today when, if everything goes according to plan, United hope to announce they are willing to take on a striker whose career had seemed to be in an irreversible tailspin. Owen is a free agent after coming to the end of his contract at Newcastle United and his stock has fallen so much over a dismal season that, until now, he has been prominently linked with clubs in the lower half of the table.

Owen even faced the ignominy this week of the Blackburn Rovers manager, Sam Allardyce, saying he would not try to sign him because the former Liverpool and Real Madrid player could not be guaranteed to play 30 games a season. Sir Alex Ferguson, however, appears to be untroubled by the forward's various injury problems and is keen to reunite him with Wayne Rooney, his former strike partner for the England national team until Fabio Capello decided that Owen was no longer worthy of a place in the squad. Everton have been monitoring Owen's potential availability but were informed last night that they had effectively been gazumped.

The transfer is likely to prompt a mixed reaction among United supporters given Owen's past with Liverpool and, more pertinently, the fact that he has become recognised as a player on the wane.

Owen scored 30 times in 65 starts for Newcastle, but he cost them £41m in total when putting together his wages and his transfer fee, and was dropped by the club's interim manager, Alan Shearer, during the run-in to their relegation. He has not scored since January and, as his reputation has plummeted, his representatives appeared to have had so little confidence in finding a major club that would be willing to sign him they produced a 32-page brochure to persuade prospective buyers that he was worth a punt.

Ferguson is unlikely to have needed a glossy supplement, however, to know all about Owen's ability, having closely followed his career since the player was at school. Liverpool got in ahead of United after Ferguson could not arrange a deal with the player's father, Terry, and sources close to the Old Trafford manager have indicated that he has always regarded Owen as one that got away.

Even so, it represents a significant gamble on the part of Ferguson given the way Owen, at 29, has become more synonymous with injuries and high wages than the goals that once made him one of the more feared strikers in European football. There have also been misgivings about Owen's commitment to his professional life, with the Wigan chairman, Dave Whelan, recently questioning whether the player was spending too much time indulging his love of horse racing.

None of these concerns appears to have registered with Ferguson, though, as he contemplates rebuilding his frontline in the aftermath of Ronaldo's £80m transfer to Real Madrid and the Manchester City-bound Tevez severing his ties with Old Trafford. Karim Benzema, the France international striker, has moved to Real Madrid and United have ruled out other attackers such as Samuel Eto'o and Franck Ribéry because of a long-term decision not to sign players aged 26 or older for large fees because of the way their potential sell-on transfer values would then drop.

United are so determined to keep to this rule that Dimitar Berbatov, who was 27 when he signed from Tottenham for £30m last September, has been described as the "last of his kind", but Owen's own situation, as a free agent, means these restrictions do not apply to him and he is clearly intent on showing that he can still play at the highest level judging by an interview he gave last week. "I've got skin thicker than 99.9% of the population and I have got used to it," he said. "I'll come back. I'll play well and score goals once more." Few, however, could have imagined him doing this in a Manchester United shirt.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 02, 2009, 04:14:47 PM »
weeeeeey ManUre rell desperate, From Ribery to Benze to Owen  :rotfl:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 02, 2009, 04:22:57 PM »
I not on the cyber bad man sh*t, that's why I did not respond to him when he commented on meh post. I am on this site to give and to obtain information and make some friends along the way. Cheers acb  :beermug:
[/quote]

COSIGN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #235 on: July 02, 2009, 04:37:21 PM »

Casillas

Diarra

Benzema      Raul (VNR)

The side actually not looking that bad on paper. Pepe will be sweating in front of Heinze (who could be gone by next year).

Problems will be:

they have no cover behind them defenders

Diarra can only do so much. For all the skill and attacking threat in Barca middle, Xavi and Iniesta are hard workers. Kaka is a decent worker but the jury out on Ronaldo and Ribery.

they still have Sergio Ramos lining up as a defender

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #236 on: July 02, 2009, 04:48:06 PM »
Well yes...

desperation or shrewd move??

Only time will tell. It is very low risk for United. Owen is free and they could sign him to a one-year contract or maybe even a pay as you play deal.

Owen should be good for goals but the question is how much yuh have to change your play to accomodate him.

I in favour of the move as long as long as Welbeck get a fair shot too.

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 02, 2009, 05:11:25 PM »
great buy if owen really goes to manu. REAL MADRID, real sour d man career dread. once owen stays fit( which seems to be very difficult) he can be a super sub or at best ,challenge berbatov 4 d starting spot

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 02, 2009, 06:30:19 PM »
great buy if owen really goes to manu. REAL MADRID, real sour d man career dread. once owen stays fit( which seems to be very difficult) he can be a super sub or at best ,challenge berbatov 4 d starting spot
I can't say I like this move, but he on the free, and like you said a fit owen could be a super sub.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Michael Owen arrives at Manchester United for medical
« Reply #239 on: July 03, 2009, 05:47:53 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/03/michael-owen-manchester-united

Michael Owen has arrived at Manchester United's training ground Carrington to have a medical with the Premier League champions. The 29-year-old hopes to complete a move to United after his contract with Newcastle United ran out.

The former Liverpool and Real Madrid striker is expected to be put through stringent tests, especially on the right knee he injured during the 2006 World Cup. He ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament and had lesser damage to his medial ones only a minute into the group game against Sweden.

Owen scored 30 times in 65 starts for Newcastle but scored his last goal in January. He will be extremely motivated to prove his critics wrong but would nevertheless represent a major gamble for United and their manager, Sir Alex Ferguson. United have sold Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid for £80m while Carlos Tevez has also left the club after his loan deal expired.

United have already signed Luis Antonio Valencia from Wigan for £16m in what promises to be a busy summer at Old Trafford. They did, however, miss out on signing the Lyon striker Karim Benzema, who joined Real Madrid this week for £30m.

Owen close to shock Man Utd move

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8131801.stm

Manchester United are in talks to sign former Liverpool and Newcastle striker Michael Owen, BBC Sport understands.

The 29-year-old, who is out of contract at Newcastle, did not return for pre-season training after his deal with the Magpies ran out in June.

Owen has been linked with Everton, Aston Villa, Stoke and Hull but now looks set to sign for the Old Trafford club, pending a medical on Friday.

"We don't comment on transfer rumours," a Red Devils spokesman told BBC Sport.

Owen has been plagued by injuries in recent seasons, suffering with groin, ankle, thigh, hernia, metatarsal and knee ligament problems.

The 2001 European footballer of the year and former Real Madrid striker has dropped out of the England squad, but a potential move to the Premier League champions would give Owen the chance to revitalise his career.

"Sources close to the player have suggested to me that a medical will take place on Friday," BBC Radio 5 Live's Juliette Ferrington reported from Manchester.

"He has already completed one test on his knee and should he come through Friday's test he'll sign on a free transfer.

"Contract talks continued late into the night. It would represent a major turnaround for the England striker who has been hampered by injury problems.

"Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been a long time admirer of Michael Owen and it looks like he has made his move."

Since losing the Champions League final to Barcelona at the end of May, the Premier League holders have sold forward Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid for £80m and failed to persuade striker Carlos Tevez to stay at Old Trafford.

The departure of those two players has left United manager Sir Alex Ferguson with a shortage of strikers, with Frazier Campbell also likely to be sold.

However, Ferguson did bring in winger Antonio Valencia from Wigan on Tuesday.

United were also linked with Lyon striker Karim Benzema, who is set to join Real, while Bayern Munich forward Franck Ribery has been linked with a move to the Madrid club rather than the English champions.

Owen made 79 appearances for the Magpies and scored 30 goals in four seasons at St James' Park.

But an ankle injury and groin operation severely disrupted his final year at the club, with the last of his 10 league goals for the 2008-09 campaign coming against West Ham on 10 January.

If Ferguson does capture Owen, it would be reminiscent of his willingness to take a chance on players like the enigmatic Eric Cantona or stars that have suffered serious injury problems like Henrik Larsson.

"United have definitely made a move," said Pete Spencer, sports editor of the Manchester Evening News. "It is a bold move. It could put them at risk of the fans mocking them because they've missed out on Benzema and Ribery.

"Owen will have a lot to do make sure that he overcomes the natural hatred between Manchester United and Liverpool, although he has been at Newcastle for some time.

"United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has a record of older players doing well at United and if Owen has got anything like the pace he had before then he should be a hit. Who's to argue with Sir Alex Ferguson?"

Even so, the move for Owen represents something of a gamble for Ferguson, given Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce ruled out a move for the striker earlier this week given his injury history.

"I just question the injury scenario," said Allardyce.

"I need a striker that's going to be available for 30 games next season. That's not happened for Michael over the last four years."

After Newcastle were relegated to the Championship, Owen expressed his desire to remain in the Premier League.

The Wasserman Media Group (WMG), the management company that represents him, sent out a brochure to a number of clubs reminding them of the talent that resulted in the striker scoring 158 goals in 297 games for Liverpool and 40 goals in 89 appearances for England.

OWEN FACTFILE
# ENGLAND 89 games, 40 goals
# LIVERPOOL (Trainee - August 2004) 297 games, 158 goals
# REAL MADRID (August 2004 - August 2005) 40 games, 14 goals
# NEWCASTLE (August 2005 - July 2009) 79 games, 30 goals

Owen's exploits in helping Liverpool to victory in the FA Cup, Uefa Cup and League Cup in the 2000/2001 season led to his European footballer of the Year award in December 2001.

He was widely reported to be earning more than £100,000-a-week at Newcastle after signing a four-year deal when he moved from Real Madrid in August 2005 for a club record fee of £16m, though his wages are unlikely to be a problem for Manchester United.

If Owen does move to Old Trafford it would revive the former Liverpool striker's hopes of resurrecting his international hopes and taking part in the 2010 World Cup.

Owen has been marginalised by England manager Fabio Capello and has won just one cap under the Italian, as a substitute in the 1-0 friendly defeat by France in Paris on 26 March, 2008.

United, meanwhile, have sent 20-year-old Brazilian-born midfielder Rodrigo Possebon on a season-long loan to Portuguese side Braga.

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

1]; } ?>