April 25, 2024, 06:41:55 AM

Author Topic: Jones makes quit hint  (Read 5401 times)

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jones makes quit hint
« on: May 20, 2009, 06:09:01 AM »
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11695_5337804,00.html

Jones makes quit hint
Striker admits he could be off if Black Cats drop

Kenwyne Jones has strongly intimated that this season could be his last at Sunderland should they fail to fend off the drop.

The Black Cats are perched perilously above the drop zone with just one Premier League game left to play, as Chelsea visit the Stadium of Light on Sunday.

Jones has been one of the club's leading lights in what has been a difficult campaign for Ricky Sbragia's side and his powerful performances have caught the eye elsewhere.

Tottenham failed to land the Trinidadian striker in January but could rekindle their interest in the summer if given the green light by either Jones or Sunderland.

Sbragia would be loath to lose one of his top players, especially given on-loan Djibril Cisse's likely return to Marseille, but it does look as though Jones would seek a move should the club be relegated.

Timing issue?
The timing of Jones' interview is unlikely to sit well with his manager ahead of what is a massive game for the club.

"I can't say what's going to happen," conceded Jones. "Things do happen in those situations.

"I've committed myself to the club. If we stay up, I am definitely going to be here.

"If we go down I don't know what is going to happen. Totttenham have been linked with me quite strongly.

"I can't say what is going on there."

Jones, Sunderland's top goalscorer with 11, signed a new four-and-a-half year deal in January.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Jones makes quit hint
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 06:16:31 AM »
Foot in mouth disease.......lol.

Ah feel he get it from Gayle!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 06:35:25 AM »
I thought it was tabloid stuff but skysport is fairly reputable. Real bad timing.

Offline noize

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 06:50:39 AM »
 >:( Quite honestly I think he and Carlos better off somewhere else...this is ah Sh!t team, with ah sh!t coach...so relegation maybe ah blessing in disguise for the two of them to get on a team that has players and a coach around them that can help them develop in to better players.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 07:02:04 AM »
>:( Quite honestly I think he and Carlos better off somewhere else...this is ah Sh!t team, with ah sh!t coach...so relegation maybe ah blessing in disguise for the two of them to get on a team that has players and a coach around them that can help them develop in to better players.
You really feel it have Prem teams clamouring for Carlos? I think he need a fresh start, too. I don't see where it coming from, though.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 07:03:38 AM by Cool Beans »

Offline Consultant

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 08:09:53 AM »
Somebody say legend #14?  ::)

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 08:13:48 AM »

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 08:35:59 AM »
You really feel it have Prem teams clamouring for Carlos? I think he need a fresh start, too. I don't see where it coming from, though.

You really feel no prem side will pick Carlos up?
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 08:41:33 AM »

If Carlos gets relegated, he going Wolves!

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 08:55:44 AM »

Fit in nicely then ;)

As I said the other thread I suspect Kenwyne will be sold if the price is right no matter what happens come Sunday evening.

He should of kept quiet until after Sunday, few fans are very forgiving when it comes to things like this and he has made a rod for his own back.

As for Carlos no established prem team will pick him up, but I suspect Andre is right he will probably go to Wolves again I don't think he is going to be at Sunderland next season come what may.  BTW he is 30 and will be 31 later this year so where's the improvement going to come from?

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 09:10:08 AM »
Kev.. you have more belly than calabash.

I admire that you're not fickle when it comes to being a true supporter of your team. Though not a supporter, I must say good luck with whatever happens on the weekend. I do agree, KJ should have kept he cyat quiet... like the ball, he can't control either.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 09:18:19 AM »

I admire that you're not fickle when it comes to being a true supporter of your team. Though not a supporter, I must say good luck with whatever happens on the weekend. I do agree, KJ should have kept he cyat quiet... like the ball, he can't control either.

KJ has better control than we give him credit for.  I was one who lead de KJ make outta concrete charge after Nashville, but having taken the time to view some Sunderland matches I believe he has decent ball controlling abilities.  The reality with KJ I feel is he needs better players around him to realize the full potential of his scoring abilities.  He seems to work hard on the field and often pressures defenders on their attempts to peacefully and slowly knock the ball around.  I will agree that this is awful timing though.  I am willing to cut him some slack though because at his age it's very easy to say things at the wrong time and realize later.  I am also inclined to give him a break as I"m sure he didn't call a press conference to make that statement.  A question was asked of him and (possibly) in his attempt to answer thoroughly he said too much.  If SAFC gets relegated I can see the Wolves pulling Carlos in as they did enjoy the benefits of his abilities while on loan there.  Jones needs to go relegation or no as he would have created an unnecessary stressful work environment at the Stadium of Light where fans will be very unforgiving of this indiscretion.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:20:04 AM by Optimus Prime »

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 09:21:10 AM »
BTW he is 30 and will be 31 later this year so where's the improvement going to come from?
You say that as if he's poor. He's not necessarily a world-beater, but he's not as bad as many of the Sunderland fans are making out. He's been average. He has had good games, not just against Hull and the like. He was one of the better players against the likes of Everton and Villa. He was decent against Man U. He's had few genuinely bad games since he returned from Wolves, but those seem to be the ones that cloud the fans' minds.

There seems to be two different sets of standards for Sunderland players among the fans. When the players considered "CCC fodder" play poorly it's because they're shite. But when the "name" players and fan favorites play poorly, it's the manager.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 10:44:59 AM »
KJ will net a brace, Sunderland will stay up and everybody go be happy like pappy  ;D
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 10:51:20 AM »

ah love it!!

His timing may be suspect.

BUT

He did say if they stay up he will DEFINITELY be staying

He is NOT Sunderland's captain (as opposed to gayle)

He was obviously asked the question and could have given one of 3 responses

1 - LIED and said he stayin with Sunderland no matter what

2 - Issued a NO COMMENT or tried to avoid the question which would have been interpreted negatively anyway by the British press

3 - Told THE TRUTH which is what he appeared to do here.  Any footballer in a similar situation would be feeling the same way.  The media knows it.  The fans know it.  Management knows it. 
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 10:55:45 AM »

ah love it!!

His timing may be suspect.

BUT

He did say if they stay up he will DEFINITELY be staying

He is NOT Sunderland's captain (as opposed to gayle)

He was obviously asked the question and could have given one of 3 responses

1 - LIED and said he stayin with Sunderland no matter what

2 - Issued a NO COMMENT or tried to avoid the question which would have been interpreted negatively anyway by the British press

3 - Told THE TRUTH which is what he appeared to do here.  Any footballer in a similar situation would be feeling the same way.  The media knows it.  The fans know it.  Management knows it. 

And in all fairness all he said was he don't know what will happen.  Sunderland could decide we can't afford him and sell him and he eh stupid he knows Spurs were interested.  If people take his statements for what they are then he eh even say anything remotely wrong really.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 12:05:13 PM »
Good point palos and Optimus.....add into the fray that if Sunderland go down, he gets a 40% pay cut!!

ah love it!!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 12:50:13 PM »
What is the problem with KJ saying he may go somewhere else? The man cannot higher aspirations than SAFC? This is one of my problems, players must be dedicated and loyal to clubs , but the club could off load players when it convienent to them. Look at "the boy" and SAF, if SAF decide that hey out with "the boy" then no ne saying anything, however, if "the boy" decide that "hey, I overs this team, laterz for them yes" is all kind of names he going and get call.

And don't tell me that SAFC give KJ a chance that's mad talk. SAFC had a demand and KJ in their view was the best supplier to meet their demands. Now KJ looking for other demands, nothing wrong with that, cause if KJ had fall flat from the get go, he would have been packing his bags about now.

SAFC problem is not so much players as it is coaching (not even managing, but coachingitself). The tactics they employ are way to simple for that league. They need a bit more sophisticated tactical plan than they have had. Maybe a new technical staff might do the trick.  ???
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 01:06:23 PM »
Sunderland ain't goin no where mack!! hull have tuh beat man-u, and scum castle ;D has tuh beat villa @ villa park. the way i see it, both those teams wants tuh finish the season on a high.

both villa and man-u has tuh lose for sunderland to get relegated, if any one of those relagation teams lose or draw then they're (sunlun) in, i can't see 2 positive results, especially against top teams like villa and man-u
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 01:17:51 PM »

You'll have to forgive my ignorance but I don't know whether that is an insult or a compliment.

Thankyou been here before on many occasions and will be again no doubt.

BTW he is 30 and will be 31 later this year so where's the improvement going to come from?
You say that as if he's poor. He's not necessarily a world-beater, but he's not as bad as many of the Sunderland fans are making out. He's been average. He has had good games, not just against Hull and the like. He was one of the better players against the likes of Everton and Villa. He was decent against Man U. He's had few genuinely bad games since he returned from Wolves, but those seem to be the ones that cloud the fans' minds.

There seems to be two different sets of standards for Sunderland players among the fans. When the players considered "CCC fodder" play poorly it's because they're shite. But when the "name" players and fan favorites play poorly, it's the manager.

CB I don't think he is poor, tbh Carlos was one of my favourite players before his injuries and obvious issues about getting over them.  I thought he would do OK in the prem, but the timing put pay to that, I am stating its probably a fact given his age etc.  He has looked OK the last few games but lets be frank about it the lot have been dreadful for the most part. 

Some fans do have favourites and won't have a bad word said about them, others will not say a good word about certain players either.  I tend to say it how I see it no more no less, it just makes me honest not right though. 

As for the manager we haven't got one.

What is the problem with KJ saying he may go somewhere else? The man cannot higher aspirations than SAFC? This is one of my problems, players must be dedicated and loyal to clubs , but the club could off load players when it convienent to them. Look at "the boy" and SAF, if SAF decide that hey out with "the boy" then no ne saying anything, however, if "the boy" decide that "hey, I overs this team, laterz for them yes" is all kind of names he going and get call.

And don't tell me that SAFC give KJ a chance that's mad talk. SAFC had a demand and KJ in their view was the best supplier to meet their demands. Now KJ looking for other demands, nothing wrong with that, cause if KJ had fall flat from the get go, he would have been packing his bags about now.

SAFC problem is not so much players as it is coaching (not even managing, but coachingitself). The tactics they employ are way to simple for that league. They need a bit more sophisticated tactical plan than they have had. Maybe a new technical staff might do the trick.  ???

Nothing wrong with him saying it, but as with comedy timing is everything, wrong time.

Agree about coaching but I have said that for the past 18 months.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 01:26:20 PM »
CB I don't think he is poor, tbh Carlos was one of my favourite players before his injuries and obvious issues about getting over them.  I thought he would do OK in the prem, but the timing put pay to that, I am stating its probably a fact given his age etc.  He has looked OK the last few games but lets be frank about it the lot have been dreadful for the most part. 

Some fans do have favourites and won't have a bad word said about them, others will not say a good word about certain players either.  I tend to say it how I see it no more no less, it just makes me honest not right though. 

I just came from reading yet ANOTHER anti-Carlos thread on the SMB when I furiously typed that. I know you usually assess the players fairly.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 01:33:07 PM »
sunderland owners are cheap bastards... Run and leave them no matter what. they wont provide quality players around you Kenwyne

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 01:39:58 PM »
sunderland owners are cheap bastards... Run and leave them no matter what. they wont provide quality players around you Kenwyne
The one thing they aren't is cheap. Didn't they spend something like 50 million already?

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 01:40:15 PM »

I just came from reading yet ANOTHER anti-Carlos thread on the SMB when I furiously typed that. I know you usually assess the players fairly.
[/quote]

Fair enough the SMB gets to me like that aswell, os nee problem.

BTW I could easily see him ending up at Ipswich with a certain Mr Keane.

2nd/3rd/4th biggest nett spenders in Europe yes Europe 2 years ago

3rd / 4th biggest nett spenders last year

Can't whinge about the money, the choices yes but not the money.

If we survive will be in the top 5 again this summer.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:44:09 PM by kev »

truetrini

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 02:15:14 PM »
what is whinge?  Is that an English word or slang? ;)

giggsy11

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 04:29:30 PM »
Just a sampling of the Jones' fans out there!

Even if we do stop up i hope we still ged rid of him, their are much better strikers about miles better than him and not so lazy ewither
- Arthur, Sunderland uk, 20/5/2009 17:15

God help us if we sign either of those strikers.Why get rid of Bent,and replace him with jones,whose slower than my mother?.Harry,we need some skill in the midfield and PACE!!.Oh,and don't sell Lennon either.
- david, london, 20/5/2009 16:10

what on earth do we want with kenwyne jones the strikers we have got at the lane seem ok to me harry is obviously planning plenty of high balls and wants someone to hold it up ala bolton god help us
- hollowbread, enfield, 20/5/2009 15:07

I can't see the point of Spurs buying another striker, especially one who on occasions I have seen him perform, is too cumbersome and lacks mobility. I am not convinced size is a prerequisite for the Premier League. They already have agile strikers, what is needed most is more guile midfield to create the clear-cut opportunities for the present guys to do their job.
- Tony Woodward, Barrie, Ontario, Canada, 20/5/2009 13:05

As a Spurs fan I would not be happy if we went for either Jones or Santa Cruz, they both had one good season, and that was last season, not this year, the last. I don't think either of them are up to scratch, and certainly not at the expense of Darren Bent, give him confidence and he will score, he's almost banged in 20 goals this year, more than any other English player.
- Lee, Essex, UK, 20/5/2009 12:41

Jones has really done nothing for Sunderland since January. They need to get rid of him.
- Derek Moore, Houston, TX, USA, 20/5/2009

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 04:59:24 PM »
So wait supporters dissin players it happens on other MB'S I am shock
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 05:27:05 PM »
no DAMN contracts for nun ah dem :devil: :devil:
Dat REAL Hard oui ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 05:36:20 PM »
Dat REAL Hard oui ;D

Dem must b Trini and does post here.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 05:59:03 PM »
Dat REAL Hard oui ;D

Dem must b Trini and does post here.
ya know Weary, It is a WONDER that there are ANY players with contracts
de ting is, ah still cyar get over dat other thread :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>