April 28, 2024, 06:24:40 PM

Author Topic: Do you think this will make a difference???  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Do you think this will make a difference???
« on: May 24, 2009, 03:55:04 AM »

Roberts to Carifta athletes: No shortcut to success
Kern De Freitas

Sunday, May 24th 2009

TALKING SPORTS: Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs, Gary Hunt, right, addresses the CARIFTA swim, water polo and track and field athletes yesterday during an appreciation ceremony at the Movie Towne Conference Center, themed: "Honouring Excellence". -Photo: STEVE MC PHIE

"We hold the dreams of our children in our hands."

That was the major message delivered by experienced swim coach and well-known radio and television personality Anil Roberts, as he addressed the young Carifta Games athletes, their parents and coaches yesterday at Movie Towne's Conference Centre.

The event, themed: "Honouring Excellence", was organised by the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs to recognise the young athletes of the Trinidad and Tobago Carifta swim, water polo and track and field teams after impressive performances in this year's Games. The T&T swim team regained the regional trophy, while T&T's track and field athletes did very well to finish second behind Jamaica.

And Roberts, selected to be the motivational guest speaker to the young athletes, delivered a stirring address about what it takes to be a successful athlete and the roles and responsibilities of parents and coaches towards that end. He told them that there can be no shortcut to success.

Roberts used George Bovell III, whom he coached between 2001 and 2003 as an example, pointing out Bovell's industrious attitude and dedication to his task made the difference between achieving Olympic bronze, and just being another ordinary swimmer. In that three years, Roberts pointed out, Bovell was only late once for his 4.30 a.m. practice session, because of two flat tires, and even then, he was only 12 minutes late.

Roberts also advised the youngsters to be proud of representing T&T, and used as an example meets and events where Cuban athletes gave their all against the odds to succeed, purely because of national pride.

"Not many people get to put on the red, white and black to represent Trinidad and Tobago in sport," he told the youngsters.

Roberts also cautioned the athletes against the temptation of performance-enhancing drugs.

"It is better to train hard and get a licking, rather than cheating," he warned.

Sport Minister Gary Hunt, who gave the feature address at the event, congratulated the athletes for "making T&T proud." He told them that "the pursuit of excellence is not an easy task".

Hunt also announced plans to develop and implement a long-term plan "to put T&T on the map" in world sport.

He also revealed that a "request for proposal" towards the construction of a modern swim facility for the training of national athletes was being prepared for presentation to Cabinet in the not too distant future.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think this will make a difference???
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 02:47:06 PM »
i had no issues with the inspirational speeches from Hunt and Roberts. But the last part of the article about implementation to build a swimming facility get meh p___d off. That part I have been hearing since I was in TT. That was a long time ago. Same bloody ole talk. Just build that blasted thing nah!!!!!!

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 02:54:04 AM »
Yeh lol I know that has been going for quite some time but it seems to only materialize when our swimmers do well e.g. when George Bovell III won bronze, and now when our Carifta team win the championships which they will continue to do.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:21:40 AM »
Trini1,
               Is 2 Olimpics and going since George win the Bronze, What they want again. The TT swim team always perform with top honours at the Carib swim meet. But when they come up north is where they does struggle. I know for a fact a new swimming pool is more important than the Brian Lara stadium at this moment.. And I love Brian. No disrespect to the Prince.

1]; } ?>