April 26, 2024, 04:39:00 PM

Author Topic: Sbragia steps down  (Read 4663 times)

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sbragia steps down
« on: May 24, 2009, 11:46:54 AM »
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5346502,00.html

Sbragia steps down
Black Cats boss makes way after securing safety

Ricky Sbragia has stepped down as Sunderland manager after the Black Cats secured Premier League survival.

Sunderland lost 3-2 at home to Chelsea on the final day but the failure of Hull, Middlesbrough and arch-rivals Newcastle to win means the Black Cats will play a third straight year in the top flight.

The Wearsiders were third-bottom when Sbragia took charge in December following the departure of Roy Keane.

The 52-year-old Scottish boss now feels he should make way for a bigger name after achieving his survival objective.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
Re: Sbragia steps down
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 12:13:24 PM »
Well thats 2 good things today.

Suspect he was asked to resign, suspect a proper manager is lined up as he is taken some time off and may do player recruitment for the club.  God knows why with his attitude they would likely be all defensive minded that can't defend.  It was noticeable he is not going back to being a coach, which makes me think its been decided.

Short is buying the club so don't know what is likely to happen but expect a clear out and a big percentage of the team to be new come the start of next season. 

I suspect neither Kenwyne or Carlos will be here next season.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 12:51:12 PM »

You forgot to add "good riddance"
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 12:58:47 PM »

Nah. They saving dat for Dean Whitehead.

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 01:12:02 PM »

palos, why u so?  ;D

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 01:36:09 PM »

Now Now behave :)

PS BTW if they are not don't think you are getting rid of me that easily :devil:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 02:11:23 PM »
Firing the coach will not help them. They need new and better players. Defence, mid-field and forwards.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 02:48:24 PM »
Firing the coach will not help them. They need new and better players. Defence, mid-field and forwards.
Getting in a capable manager will help a great deal. Sunderland has decent players capable of better than what they put out this season. No reason on paper for those performances. I think they need extra quality in central midfield and up front now that Cisse is gone.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 03:12:26 PM »
Getting a big name coach will help in the recruitment of these better players.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 10:54:53 PM »
de man did well with de cards he was dealt.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 11:25:45 AM »
de man did well with de cards he was dealt.

You mean de other teams results had nothing to do with Sunderland staying up ? how well did he do according to your facts ? no  oone heard of him before his appointment and no one will probably hear of him now ...Peter principle in evidence here ...

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 05:02:39 AM »

thank god, can't handle another season watching Sunderland football

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Sunderland 'want Bruce as boss'
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 03:58:26 PM »
Sunderland 'want Bruce as boss'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/8069299.stm

Sunderland want Wigan boss Steve Bruce to succeed Ricky Sbragia as their new manager, BBC Sport understands.

Bruce, 48, has been in charge of Wigan, who finished 11th in the Premier League, since he left Birmingham for the JJB Stadium in November 2007.

"Wigan's owner Dave Whelan will not allow Bruce to leave without a fight," said BBC Radio 5 Live's senior football reporter Ian Dennis.

The Latics have not confirmed whether they have received an approach.

But Dennis added: "Wigan paid Birmingham £3m for his services in November 2007 and I think they would want at least that in return.

"If a suitable compensation package can be reached then Bruce will be charged with transforming a Sunderland side that narrowly avoided relegation.

"With Ellis Short's takeover imminent there will be money available and Bruce is Sunderland's number one target."

American investor Short bankrolled the club's summer transfer spending in 2008 - and he is reportedly on the brink of confirming his buy-out later this week.

Sunderland are searching for a third boss in three years after Sbragia, who guided the club to Premier League safety, resigned on Sunday.

"We need somebody who will come in and attract the type of player that Sunderland needs," said Quinn.

The Black Cats were strongly linked with Gordon Strachan, who resigned as Celtic manager on Monday.

Former England manager Steve McClaren, who is currently at Dutch side FC Twente, Croatia head coach Slaven Bilic and ex-Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard have also been linked with the club.  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Former Hamburg manager Martin Jol was also mentioned in conjunction with the post, but has just joined Ajax.

But Dennis added of the Bruce situation: "I expect developments over the next few days."

Bruce started his managerial career at Sheffield United in 1998 and has since been in charge of Huddersfield, Crystal Palace and Birmingham in addition to two spells at Wigan.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 09:09:00 PM by Flex »

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland 'want Bruce as boss'
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 04:07:27 PM »
Bruce not going anywhere unless is to Man United  :devil: :rotfl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 04:09:45 PM »
From england Manager to Sunderland. Dat go b  :( real  :( 
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 06:47:48 PM »
united blood runnin deep.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 08:57:24 PM »
Oh no!  :-[ , not dat Bruce again.  :'(
Look, ... Jones, Carlos, Yorke, .... time to buss it. Allyuh hearin' meh?  Bruce is a wasahtime! Period.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 05:43:11 AM »
I thought Bruce was a Geordie and a boyhood Newcastle fan? Why would Sunderland want one of the enemy...especially when he not an especially great manager?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 06:25:13 AM »
I thought Bruce was a Geordie and a boyhood Newcastle fan? Why would Sunderland want one of the enemy...especially when he not an especially great manager?

They might as well put in a bid for Alan Shearer while they are at it!  ::)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 06:35:12 AM »
They need a manager to take them to mid-table "mediocrity" and establish them as a Prem club instead of fighting off relegation. Bruce perfect for dat. As for being a Newcastle fan, he's a professional with a job to and they've had a successful Geordie manager in the past. The only danger is if things go bad, the fans will turn on him very quickly.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 06:57:44 AM »
money is talk. anything possible.

Brief-Soccer-American Short assumes 100% control of Sunderland

2 hours, 27 minutes ago

Buzz up! 0 votes
      Print

LONDON, May 27 (Reuters) - American businessman Ellis Short has assumed complete control of Sunderland, the English Premier League club confirmed on its website (www.safc.com) on Wednesday.

Short, who is president of Texas-based private equity firm Lone Star Funds, bought a 30 percent share in the club last September to become the majority shareholder.

“Even before today he has personally invested more in Sunderland than all previous chairmen, directors and owners combined,” chairman and former player Niall Quinn said on the website.

“Today’s announcement opens the door for a new era at the Stadium of Light,” Quinn added. (Reporting by Tom Pilcher; Editing by John O’Brien; To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 07:22:41 AM »
Sbragia quit because they wanted a big name. If they think Bruce is a big name, then Sunderland ambitions are clear for all to see.

Roy Keane was in a much better position to attract "name" players to the club but the American owener, Ellis Short couldn't handle his style. I guess Bruce is more of a "nice guy".

Carlos better look for a next side yes, I not too keen on Bruce's handling of flair players.

I still blame him for ruining Stern career by trying to mould him into a traditional english style target man by bulking him up and killing the lil flair and mobility he used to have.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 08:04:43 AM »
Bruce needs to keep his tail at Wigan and buckle down at a club for once.

Apart from his time at Birmingham, Steve Bruce's M.O. has been to show up at a club, do well for a year to 18 months, get praise and then jump to a "bigger" name. He always complains about lack of money/support or boardroom turmoil.

Did at Sheff. Utd after one season.
The first time he was at Wigan he stay for less than half a season and then jump ship to Palce.
Bolt from Palace when the Birmingham job open up.

I think he is a good manager but he needs to show that he could do more than make a side that can avoid relegation every year. If he goes Sunderland how long would he really stay before Newcastle comes along.

Also he does not have a chance of managing United based on his history so far.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 12:25:12 PM »
Sky were reporting they had permission to speak to him, but are now reprting that they understand the club aren't interested in him, so they have all the bases covered.

Not really a big name manager in my eyes, more an average one.

Kenwyne upto £20 Million from Spurs in Jan, must of been add ons like goals finishing position etc. 

http://www.safc.com/news/ellis-short-assumes-control.html

Ellis Short assumes control

Sunderland AFC today revealed that majority shareholder Ellis Short is to assume 100% control of the club.

Sunderland Chairman Niall Quinn commented, "This is fantastic news for the club. Ellis has already shown tremendous commitment to date but today's announcement opens the door for a new era at the Stadium of Light.

"I first met Ellis at the Ryder Cup in 2006 and he was immediately interested in the Sunderland Story and what we were trying to achieve. He's an avid sports fan and caught the football bug following his move to the UK ten years ago and is now a huge fan of the Premier League.

"Even before today he has personally invested more in Sunderland than all previous chairmen, directors and owners combined in the club's history. Late last summer he injected tens of millions of pounds to fund our new signings and the resultant increased wage bill. In going forward, as long as we invest the funds wisely he will continue to provide what has been the missing ingredient in Sunderland's make up, namely the financial muscle necessary to compete at the highest level.

"And Ellis's involvement to date also enabled us to turn down a club record bid of up to £20 million for Kenwyne Jones from Tottenham Hotspur in the January transfer window. In addition, he enthusiastically supported the decision to introduce industry leading reductions in the cost of all season tickets for thousands of fans for next season."

Niall Quinn will continue to run the club as Chairman along with the recently strengthened executive board. The Sunderland Board now have a long term strategy to drive the club forward and focus on making intelligent appointments, purchases and strategic investments at the appropriate time.

Quinn added, "Whilst it's great to be looking ahead to a bright future we also need to thank the Drumaville Consortium for their involvement at a crucial time in the club's history. They acquired the club and energetically went about driving it forward. Without them Sunderland would not be where it is today and Ellis Short would not have become involved.

"I think all Sunderland fans will appreciate that their contribution over the last three years has been very important. They will be remembered fondly and this club owes each and every Drumaville member a huge debt of gratitude for stepping in when they did and for bringing such wonderful passion to the table.

Drumaville Chairman John Ryan commented, "It has been a great honour for all members of Drumaville to have been a part of the Sunderland adventure. We have all enjoyed our involvement immensely and are delighted and proud to be passing this great club into such safe hands."

John Ryan as well as fellow non executive directors Pat Bierne, John Hays, Charlie Chawke and Owen McGartoll will step down and the streamlined executive SAFC board will be made up of Niall Quinn, Steve Walton, Lesley Callaghan, Margaret Byrne and Chris Woerts.

Quinn concluded, "It goes without saying that the search for a new manager has started and we will take what ever time is necessary to make this important appointment. It is imperative that we find somebody who will raise the bar and introduce a whole new mentality to our dressing room."

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 11:05:56 PM »
Now been rumoured its all but done and dusted, just have to wait and see over the weekend. 

Average manager, I would prefer to see real change.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 07:30:31 AM »
It would be better to get Bruce Arena

waiting to see which American owned team will be  the first to take the risk and hire and american manager.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 07:32:10 AM »
Now been rumoured its all but done and dusted, just have to wait and see over the weekend. 

My condolonces Kev. Look forward to another year of non-glamorous, boring football and a relegation battle after a solid start.

Bruce can't attract players...I have no idea why they would choose him if that was the criteria.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 08:55:08 AM »
Problem with all dem clubs in the Northeast:  they think they are big clubs and they not.  They need to stop living a fallacy and get down to the business of surviving and trying to be a consistent mid-table club. ;)

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 03:19:07 PM »

My condolonces Kev. Look forward to another year of non-glamorous, boring football and a relegation battle after a solid start.

Bruce can't attract players...I have no idea why they would choose him if that was the criteria.

Thankyou

I will not be happy if it happens.

But I still think the Sbragia appointment had more to do with ownership / money issues than football as the Irish guys wanted out.  I can only think that teh scare provided by the Sbragia appointment has made then think boring / safe mid table medrocity.  So Bruce has come out as the most likely can move.  The club would have to pay compensation £3/4/5 Million, tbh if we are going to go on teh same old ex-prem merrygoround then I would of preferred Curbishley who doesn't need compo.

It really is hard work supporting Sunderland sometimes (well most of the time) just aswell I am used to it by now. ;)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009, 03:41:58 PM »
like tNt  Kev...nae bother
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

1]; } ?>