March 28, 2024, 07:55:43 AM

Author Topic: The shocking revelations of Chelsea's first black player Paul Canoville  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
excellent read.

Plucked from non-league football with Hillingdon Borough in December 1981, he made his first-team debut four months later, at the age of 20, as a substitute, away at Crystal Palace.
Paul Canonville

Looking back: Canoville recalls how he felt 'physically sick' after being subjected to racist taunts at Chelsea - by the club's own supporters

When he climbed from the bench to warm up, Chelsea supporters screamed: 'Sit down you black c***', 'You f***ing w*g, f*** off'. Then they started to chant: 'We don't want the n****r, we don't want the n****r, la la la la'. A banana landed near his feet.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1189328/REVEALED-The-shocking-revelations-Chelseas-black-player-Paul-Canoville.html

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I wish i could say i was surprised, but i'm not! He have real balls though!! nice read! and no i wouldn't say it was sad like some here would say, but rather it was sick!

i not under no illusions nah dread, them ppl real uncivilized! the most uncivilized ppl on the planet! and ah don't mean english ppl.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline mwanasoka

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is played from de neck up.
    • View Profile
'People would say, "Paul, how was the game?" and I'd be, "Yeah, wicked man". I didn't want to be negative.'

after a pre-season fight with a drunken teammate, who called him a 'black c***'.

Nice read.It's sobering to know how much yuh ENEMY hate yuh,but

I thought they would label him a racist for complaining about the fans

but they went one better...dey transfer him for being a troublemaker &

drughead.The greatest trick THE DEVIL ever pull orf was to convince

THE WORLD that he didn't exist.   :thinking:
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Watch...dat was right dey...1981....we was in civilized times den.

Nuttin ent change, dey does just penalise you for acting so but racism is alive and well, it is simply masked or shown in different forms.

Dem same people who did them chants have chirlden now or grown up a bit and one generation is not enough to completely wipe away that kinda thinking.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Nuttin ent change, dey does just penalise you for acting so but racism is alive and well, it is simply masked or shown in different forms.

Dem same people who did them chants have chirlden now or grown up a bit and one generation is not enough to completely wipe away that kinda thinking.

wha make yuh feel they eh pass it on?

is just that now they could get a charge in england for getting on so.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

wha make yuh feel they eh pass it on?

is just that now they could get a charge in england for getting on so.

geez. yuh eh really read what Touches was saying..ent?

it's horrible to read them things but it shouldn't shock anyone at this point. When John Barnes joined Liverpool, opposing teams used to chant 'N**gerpool'.  People are correct when they say racism persists more strongly than many like to think, but it's also incorrect to say things haven't changed. It's actually kinda disrespectful to guys like Paul Canoville and all who came before and get dat level of abuse. Dem fellas change things alot. People just have to realize that the hard work now start..it eh nearly done.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
Brought the book the first week it came out.

If I step out my house and just look left in front of me is the road he used to live on.

I agree with touches to a certain degree it has changed a bit but it's still there.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Those are the same fans that used to sing songs about sending Jews to gas chambers when they hosted Spurs.  Chelsea has always had a neo-nazi element in their support base.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
Those are the same fans that used to sing songs about sending Jews to gas chambers when they hosted Spurs.  Chelsea has always had a neo-nazi element in their support base.

Lol @ used.

This is the excuse a section Tottenham used when with the Sol Campbell issue. If Chelsea can do that why can't we say XYZ about Campbell.

Another Tottenham favourite: Adebayor Adebayor, you Dad washes elephants and your mum is whore.

Just for the record his dad has been Dead for a while.

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
One should refer to this old thread.I had slightly gotten aware of   Chelsea's racist past and Jay the Wrecker gave me a good explanation.He was obviously a supporter.His post is good:

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=25207.msg277453#msg277453

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
 In Germany in 2006 fuh de WC de English supporters were BY FAR THE MOST HATEFUL and DISGUSTING group of supporters there were.  And the Germans had dey skinheads.  De Poles had dey Neo Nazis.  But none a dem were as despicable as de English supporters.  Not ALL of dem mind you, but a large enough number of dem, no matter where you went to realize what was goin on.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Whether or not the same level of racism exists today, it's somewhat comforting that people (fans in England) appear to be more outwardly respectful nowadays...regardless of the motivation/impetus.  I think it sets a better example for the younger more impressionable minds.  I think further integration of the game through the years has played its part...i.e. Having black/non white house hold names/local heroes play for your team aids the cause...Those responsible for those chants back in 1981, are unchangeable...lost cause....the future lies in the ones who could potentially follow their lead.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

1]; } ?>