April 27, 2024, 01:01:14 PM

Author Topic: Muhammad defends Latas decision  (Read 7132 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Muhammad defends Latas decision
« on: May 29, 2009, 09:14:18 PM »
Muhammad defends Latas decision.
Trinidad Guardian.

...No serious preparation matches before Costa Rica

David Muhammad, manager of the Soca Warriors squad, has backed the decision by national coach, Russell Latapy, not to play any serious competitive or international warm-up matches before next Saturday’s contest against Costa Rica in Tobago. It’s a crucial match for the Soca Warriors in its 2010 South Africa World Cup Concacaf Qualifying campaign. Latapy who took over the national team on April 8, after Colombian Francisco Maturana resigned, has opted not to play any friendlies ahead of the match.

In the past, playing warm-up matches to help the team gel was a major problem for the T&T Football Federation as most of the European-based players join the team only five days before matches due to Fifa stipulations. “Firstly, there are other methods of preparation which Latapy prefers to use to get the team ready, and it was his decision in that he did not think it was necessary. “At the same time, I’m not saying that playing a few matches would not have been good and beneficial to the team, but this is Latapy’s first match in charge and he’s bringing his own methods and tactical awareness to the team and we have to appreciate it.”

Muhammad added, “We could arrange a number of matches and the coach might still not get what he wants out of them. “Then, at the same time, he also has the chance to see all his players on a regular basis in 11 vs 11 situations to make his assessments.” However, with the European season completed and most of the players back in T&T since the middle of May, it was felt that at least two proper warm-up matches against worthy opposition should have been organised for the team ahead of the qualifiers with Costa Rica and Mexico but this has not been done. T&T’s last competitive match was on April 1 when it suffered a humiliating 3-0 loss to the USA in Nashville, Tennessee in a Concacaf World Cup Qualifier.

On the other hand, when the Costa Ricans take on T&T on June 6, it will be on the back of two international matches, a 1-1 draw with Venezuela in a friendly on May 13, and a World Cup qualifier versus USA on June 3 in San Jose. Two teams who are preparing for the Concacaf Gold Cup, Jamaica and Haiti played to a 2-2 draw on the weekend, while El Salvador, bottom of the Concacaf Final Round with T&T on two points each, whipped Ecuador 3-1 on Wednesday as they prepare to host Mexico on June 6. Commenting on the approach and decision not to engage in any international matches, Muhammad said, “ Warm-up matches are not the only way you can get a team prepared for qualifiers. For yesterday’s session at Bacolet, former Manchester United star and Soca Warriors captain, Dwight Yorke, joined the local squad.

On Thursday the 37-year-old Yorke, one of seven players released by Sunderland, joined the squad after his contract came to an end. Fellow T&T players Carlos Edwards and Kenwyne Jones, who is considering a move to Tottenham Hotspur, were among the players retained by the club. Edwards returned home on Thursday and linked up with the team in Tobago while Jones, DC United left back Avery John and San Jose Earthquake striker Cornell Glen are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Striker Stern John left for the USA on Thursday for treatment to a back injury which may see him miss four weeks of action, and is out of the matches against Costa Rica and Mexico.

T&T Squad

Clayton Ince, Marvin Phillips, Keyeno Thomas, Jan-Michael Williams, Dennis Lawrence, Marvin Andrews, Hayden Tinto, Avery John, Nicholson Thomas, Khaleem Hyland, Christopher Birchall, Densil Theobald, Trent Noel, Silvio Spann, Makan Hislop, Radanfah Abu Bakr, Keon Daniel, Collin Samuel, Hughton Hector, Jason Scotland, Kerry Baptiste, Devon Jorsling, Ataulla Guerra, Kenwyne Jones, Dwight Yorke, Carlos Edwards, Cornell Glen.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 09:23:32 PM by E-man »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Muhammad defends Latas decision
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 09:16:53 PM »
stueps as if he would say he not defending him
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 09:20:28 PM »
stueps as if he would say he not defending him

EXACTLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY A non story
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 10:24:38 PM »
....and here I am thinking that by playing quality international matches, with de local players, that it would prepare them more physically and psychologically since the international game is more demanding.....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 10:26:41 PM »
....and here I am thinking that by playing quality international matches, with de local players, that it would prepare them more physically and psychologically since the international game is more demanding.....

U WERE SO WRONG. There are other ways 2 prepare

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 11:07:57 PM »

oh yeah ah forget de Tobago 11....good match preparation

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 12:08:45 AM »

As long they beat Costa Rica
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 05:10:18 AM »

I would think at least 1 international match would have been good...  :o

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 06:01:49 AM »
See how people are on this forum...Lewwe be consistent nah

Listen if it was Maturana, Wim, or whoever else was in charge and they did this the whole board woulda be up in arms calling them names and ready to crucify them.

Latas is we boi eh, he first game in charge, we giving him a chance, and we hoping for the best.

But deep down everybody know not playing a warm-up game vs a decent team is shit.

Is 2 months since we last game.

Muhammad added, “We could arrange a number of matches and the coach might still not get what he wants out of them. “Then, at the same time, he also has the chance to see all his players on a regular basis in 11 vs 11 situations to make his assessments.” However, with the European season completed and most of the players back in T&T since the middle of May, it was felt that at least two proper warm-up matches against worthy opposition should have been organised for the team ahead of the qualifiers with Costa Rica and Mexico but this has not been done.

I find is a shit call we ent play no competitive friendly games.

But Latas know what he doing...if we win...all is good.

But if we lorse, Latas look for he ting.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 06:07:52 AM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 06:10:55 AM »
       Tell me what sense does it make playing quality international matches with the local players and they not going to be playing in the WC qualifying games,you as well as i know and this been happening all the time,we train the locals get them fit etc etc and game time the foreign players with experience comes in and play.there are pros and cons to everything and i think what Latas has done makes a bit of sense,he is doing/trying his ideas and who better to do it than someone who been involved as a player,what are we preparing the locals for?to go on trips?to get Camp experience?to rub shoulders with the foreign based?may be sleep in some hotel and get nice food?our national teams are never prepared,who are we trying to fool,we prepare one set and another set plays the game,there are certain players/names must be on the team else we don't have a team,it's not the best inform players being selected,this is a patern with all our national teams.    

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 07:07:42 AM »
       Tell me what sense does it make playing quality international matches with the local players and they not going to be playing in the WC qualifying games,you as well as i know and this been happening all the time,we train the locals get them fit etc etc and game time the foreign players with experience comes in and play.there are pros and cons to everything and i think what Latas has done makes a bit of sense,he is doing/trying his ideas and who better to do it than someone who been involved as a player,what are we preparing the locals for?to go on trips?to get Camp experience?to rub shoulders with the foreign based?may be sleep in some hotel and get nice food?our national teams are never prepared,who are we trying to fool,we prepare one set and another set plays the game,there are certain players/names must be on the team else we don't have a team,it's not the best inform players being selected,this is a patern with all our national teams.    

It's not just about today Coop's we have some close dates coming up (God forbid) injuries, cards etc. we need to have men waiting in the wings ready and able (enough). Just becuase there is no disaster does not mean you won't prepare for one. Let the locals go play, it COULD NEVER HURT.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 07:20:39 AM »
It isn't just local players in the camp. Most of the foreign-based are there also and have been there for quite some time. The foreign-based were playing and scoring against the Tobago XI. That could've been a quality opponent instead.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 07:39:06 AM »
Real nice thread.  We put sand rice I hope we ent end up eating it.  Now Latas getting what Matu never had, that is to pick the side he want.  Hopefully, it works out for our best.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 07:40:11 AM »
However, with the European season completed and most of the players back in T&T since the middle of May, it was felt that at least two proper warm-up matches against worthy opposition should have been organised for the team ahead of the qualifiers with Costa Rica and Mexico but this has not been done

Coop, read again nah....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 07:47:02 AM »

I think what Latas has done makes alot of sense. First off the locals are never game fit. Latas, according to him, has been working on the fitness of the locals. According to Coops what is the sense of playing the locals in a warmup if they are not going to play at game time. Latas is getting  them fit so that they could be competent replacements if called upon in case of anything ontoward. BM has a mantra and I agree with it. WE BEATING COSTA RICA.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 08:07:24 AM »
There is no national team in the world other than T&T that would have a WCQ coming up in 2 weeks and NOT arrange at least 1 PROPER FRIENDLY beforehand especially when ALL of their players are available and in camp longer dan most previous coaches have ever experienced.  Dem used to have players comin een 3 or 4 days before a match.  Latas have ALL he players AT LEAST a full 10 days beforehand and playin Tobago representative team?

Touches is right...if was any foreign coach or somebody allyuh doh like, allyuh behaviour on here woulda make jus cool seem like a lamb by comparison.

National hero or not, we boy or no boy, Latas doin SHIT if is really he dat insist on dis course of inaction.

We could talk all de "we beatin Costa Rica" lyrics we want....it doh change de FACT dat dis is FORKRIES!

De title of de article is correct.  No proper preparation.  If we beat Costa Rica as is de mantra on here, is not because of anyting planned and executed.  Is by LUCK.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 08:10:35 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 08:08:53 AM »
Jack run tings
Jack run tings
Jack run tings
Jack run tings
Jack run tings

ok ah good for ah next 24 hours

:devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 08:27:01 AM »
There is no national team in the world other than T&T that would have a WCQ coming up in 2 weeks and NOT arrange at least 1 PROPER FRIENDLY beforehand especially when ALL of their players are available and in camp longer dan most previous coaches have ever experienced.  Dem used to have players comin een 3 or 4 days before a match.  Latas have ALL he players AT LEAST a full 10 days beforehand and playin Tobago representative team?

Touches is right...if was any foreign coach or somebody allyuh doh like, allyuh behaviour on here woulda make jus cool seem like a lamb by comparison.

National hero or not, we boy or no boy, Latas doin SHIT if is really he dat insist on dis course of inaction.

We could talk all de "we beatin Costa Rica" lyrics we want....it doh change de FACT dat dis is FORKRIES!

De title of de article is correct.  No proper preparation.  If we beat Costa Rica as is de mantra on here, is not because of anyting planned and executed.  Is by LUCK.

Palos, them men bias bad !!!!!

f**k that, Latapy or who ever make this decission is an asshole.....

We need to prepare. Them men here trying to convience themselves...

I thought Maturana was bad !!!!!

Everybody in this world do they home work or else they fail.....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 09:01:37 AM »
WE BEATING COSTA RICA. To the simpleminded is luck but to the aficianado it the stroke of genius!!

Offline mwanasoka

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is played from de neck up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 09:09:04 AM »
Based on d coach acessment,he might tink dey need 2 have more rudimentary technical & tactical soundness:hence d Argentina camp (Drawing Board).Yuh doh always need 2 have ah scrimmage after yuh training.And when u do,u doh always have 2 win it.Yuh could lose it 0-10,if the coach intent is 2 pong technical or tactical discipline in dey head.If d players believe & respect d coach,dey goh buy into whatever he tryin tuh sell dem, so give him time.We shouldn't mash im up if he doh fine d rite formula soon needa. Respek.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace.

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 10:50:01 AM »
Based on d coach acessment,he might tink dey need 2 have more rudimentary technical & tactical soundness:hence d Argentina camp (Drawing Board).Yuh doh always need 2 have ah scrimmage after yuh training.And when u do,u doh always have 2 win it.Yuh could lose it 0-10,if the coach intent is 2 pong technical or tactical discipline in dey head.If d players believe & respect d coach,dey goh buy into whatever he tryin tuh sell dem, so give him time.We shouldn't mash im up if he doh fine d rite formula soon needa. Respek.

The highlighted part does not make sense

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 12:44:52 PM »
whatever Latas do, i buying into it for awhile, cause I haven't seen any consistent results with any consistent method/coach in the past. I agree with Coops btw. He tryin something slightly different, is not all that radical for we....not like we does play ah ton ah quality opposition on a good day, and either way Playing or not playing may not even make any measurable difference in the long run, I see many teams beatup, top teams, and turn round and lose to last place team...so wha happen, the top teams didn't prepare them.....but if we don't get the result...bet plenty fans, believe is because ah what Latas didn't do, an how he takin it for joke etc....if we practice Italy monday, and Grenada Wed, I can let you know by Sat...we tired and might get licks from Antigua cricket team.....Germany prep, cannot be France prep, cannot be Scotland prep, cannot be T&T prep...Good Luck Latas, Hope you can get the guys ready, the fans will always be ready to scavenge, now we know why we had Cobo, wasn't the coach and players...was us fans...just waittin to eat. 

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 12:46:25 PM »

I think what Latas has done makes alot of sense. First off the locals are never game fit. Latas, according to him, has been working on the fitness of the locals. According to Coops what is the sense of playing the locals in a warmup if they are not going to play at game time. Latas is getting  them fit so that they could be competent replacements if called upon in case of anything ontoward. BM has a mantra and I agree with it. WE BEATING COSTA RICA.

The ONLY way to get game fit is to play games. Fit and GAME fit is 2 different things.
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 12:54:53 PM »

The ONLY way to get game fit is to play games. Fit and GAME fit is 2 different things.
if unprepared or too often, yuh could injuries, burnouts, embarrased, and have a lot of team frustrations as well...

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 01:22:25 PM »

Thank you sir  :applause:. All de critics, ah hope all yuh big enough if de short man pull it off wid some good results in de next 2 matches, all yuh cud be mature adults and admit dat you all was wrong, before jumping ship. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 01:51:43 PM »
could anyone say a bit about this muhammad fella ..like who he is ..where he came from ..what has been his involvement in football etc. I know he is a talk show host but have never heard about him in football circles ???
He is the national team manager ..that concerns me ..Ah eh even want to discuss what he said ...he did not say anything really !!!! This is another of Jack stooges no doubt !

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 01:59:56 PM »

Thank you sir  :applause:. All de critics, ah hope all yuh big enough if de short man pull it off wid some good results in de next 2 matches, all yuh cud be mature adults and admit dat you all was wrong, before jumping ship. HIGHLY BLESSED.

A man wrong to say dat playin 2 warm up match against Tobago representative XI is not proper preparation going into a must win WCQ?  All a we here love T&T.  We ALL want to see T&T do well.  Tellin peeps dey doin shit regardless of de result is somehow not allowed because is Latas involved?

Steupes
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 02:02:42 PM »
could anyone say a bit about this muhammad fella ..like who he is ..where he came from ..what has been his involvement in football etc. I know he is a talk show host but have never heard about him in football circles ???
He is the national team manager ..that concerns me ..Ah eh even want to discuss what he said ...he did not say anything really !!!! This is another of Jack stooges no doubt !

Ah doh know much on him tuh answer yuh, so ah will wait myself and read any replies to your question. Well yuh should get a reply, cuz yuh is not de bad boi on de forum, so dey should answer yuh. So good luck. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 02:04:22 PM »

Yeah but yuh not gonna get match fit for a WCQ by playing one or two friendlies before.  The match fitness you're talking about is the difference between a team in preseason, and a team in mid season for e.g.  Or the difference between a guy coming off a rehab period, during which time he was training and maintaining conditioning, but not playing matches....and a player who's been healthy all season...

I think the fitness that Latapy is referring to (when he speaks of our players' level of conditioning) is not just that, but in addition, a core level of conditioning that yuh need at the level of competition, before yuh could even start thinking of fine tuning your match fitness at the highest level...

If he was saying that our boys just lack match fitness per se, it would simply be a case of needing more games, but it seems to me that he was putting the guys through condition building type exercises to raise their base level- just my interpretation

I agree- you're not gonna get fully match fit without playing matches, but I don't think a pre-match friendly will get you there...What I think we sacrificed is an opportunity for the guys to gel, sharpen up their execution, and test their ability to execute plays at a level that is equivalent to what they're heading into.....also give the coach a better idea of some of the things he might need to work on before the upcoming games....

Yeah some match fitness would have been gained by playing a real preparation match, but not to the extent that some are moaning about....
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 02:08:07 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Victor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2009, 02:10:45 PM »
WE ARE NOT BEATING COSTA RICA!!

THIS 2010 CAMPAIGN IS OVER!!

COSTA RICA WILL PUT US OUT OF OUR MISERY ON JUNE 6TH.

THANK YOU JACK WARNER & ALVIN CORNEAL!!

1]; } ?>