April 28, 2024, 04:50:20 PM

Author Topic: Direct Play.  (Read 2091 times)

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Direct Play.
« on: May 31, 2009, 05:55:20 AM »
There is something to be said in support of "direct play" since statistics show that 80% of goals have come with 3 or less touches.I hope that we dont ever become a team of long ball wonders but we should be capable of employing the long ball time and again.Ince is capable of putting the ball way up-field and that could be utilised.
I have also noticed that long balls through the middle is easy for defenders to clear but those played down the flanks do stretch the defence and create bigger problems.In essence we as a team should not be too predictable,mixing it up with short passing and some possession with the direct route sometimes might be a good mix.Ah wonder if Russell daz read deze post,anybody want to bet dat we go score 2 goals from direct play?

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Direct Play.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 06:58:16 AM »
There is something to be said in support of "direct play" since statistics show that 80% of goals have come with 3 or less touches.I hope that we dont ever become a team of long ball wonders but we should be capable of employing the long ball time and again.Ince is capable of putting the ball way up-field and that could be utilised.
I have also noticed that long balls through the middle is easy for defenders to clear but those played down the flanks do stretch the defence and create bigger problems.In essence we as a team should not be too predictable,mixing it up with short passing and some possession with the direct route sometimes might be a good mix.Ah wonder if Russell daz read deze post,anybody want to bet dat we go score 2 goals from direct play?

source?

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 07:36:58 AM »
" Its not about the Long ball or Short ball...its about the right ball"

Messi headed goal... nice short pass right ???
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 07:44:21 AM »
As big magician say its about the right ball. The game often ask players to execute various technical and tactical decisions. If the opposing defense provides space in behind for trini to attack then so be it. So hopefully the players know when the long ball is necessary. I didn't see Manu benefit from it in the Champions league game though. I can't recall a game when Trini had tremendous success using it though. I am sure they have but I don't remember
I LOVE THIS GAME BETTER THAN I LOVE THIS GAME

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 11:09:10 AM »

I've read books and seen videos that advocate the direct play and they always quote that same statistic- Recipients of that information however need to think more critically when receiving statistics such as that....behind every metric there is are many underlying factors....often which render the metric by itself inconclusive or even misleading.  First question to ask yourself is what sample of games did they use to come up with that statistic- makes a huge difference

Next, just because the majority of goals come from 3 or less touches doesn't support "direct play" per se.  Obviously most goals result from plays that start close to the attacking third- i.e. corners, free kicks are around the area, throw-ins in or near to the attacking third, penalty kicks, goal mouth scrambles where the second to last touch is by the defending team, defensive blunders which give a player a clear opportunity on goal, high pressure resulting in the attacking team winning the ball in a dangerous are etc...

Hardly likely is a team going to build a play from one of the the field to the next without getting fouled, losing possession, the ball going out of bounds etc... And the idea of a patient build up ("indirect football" if you may) is not necessarily to create goals that result from 50 passes, but to advance the ball with a rhythm that allows, the team in possession to control the pace of the game and to maintain a certain shape with and without the ball.  A team that plays patient possession football will also score most of its goals from plays that involve 3 or less touches - doesn't advocate "direct" football.  I'd bet anything that a very very small % of goal come from plays that involve 3 or less touches going from one end of the field to the next. 

End of day, there are a number of things that will determine what footballing approach a coach should use - one major factor being the types of players you have at your disposal. 

The direct football argument, sound or not and regardless of its merits, is a nothing more than a marketing effort to sell a philosophy... so take it for what it's worth.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 12:07:12 PM »
My main point was that we should not be too predictable,personally I fel that if one good long pass could get you to a certain position of play why use 50 or 40 passes,the problem is we dont have a Beckham.Someone questioned my statisc and its source,I would try to supply that to-morrow,there are lots mor statistics that is really surprising.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 12:29:34 PM »
My main point was that we should not be too predictable,personally I fel that if one good long pass could get you to a certain position of play why use 50 or 40 passes,the problem is we dont have a Beckham.Someone questioned my statisc and its source,I would try to supply that to-morrow,there are lots mor statistics that is really surprising.

Our football might be predictable, but I don't think it's because of our desire to use short passes instead of long ones-  Might just be more a result of not having creative & imaginitive players.  Its been a long time since I've seen T&T string together more than 6 passes in a row...(or even try really)

I don't see the reluctance to employ the direct football approach as being one of our problems. 

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 01:54:44 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAlPNGrZl_o

not quite three touches .... but some nice touches before and after a long ball. We just have to play we natural game.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 02:10:41 PM »

not quite three touches .... but some nice touches before and after a long ball. We just have to play we natural game.

Those were the days when a pro-Trini crowd in the U.S. actually had a presence....Almost sounded like the home team scored when that ball hit the net. 

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 02:43:35 PM »
I have to agree with you KICKER,we dont have creative players,maybe that is reason enough to try the direct route,not too much of it though.What a shame Aurtis Whitley is absent from training,I know he was injured and is only just recovered but I think he was a loss to past proceedings.I sm sure with,Scotland,Jones,Yorke,Samuel,Daniel,Hyland,Latapy and Birchall we can conjure up some creativity.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 02:50:26 PM »

Yep.  assuming what the players bring naturally works.  Hudson dummy an Fuastin knew what was next.  I have not seen anything like that since the strike squad.  I wish I could say different.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 03:18:32 PM »

Yep.  assuming what the players bring naturally works.  Hudson dummy an Fuastin knew what was next.  I have not seen anything like that since the strike squad.  I wish I could say different.

True .. but ah think that was actually Marlon Morris with the flick on header.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 03:40:22 PM »
watch when any team down with 5 mins to go

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 04:50:48 PM »
yes that was indeed Marlon Morris. He suffered greatly for that one and placed a new meaning to the term taking one for the team. He received a concussion for that blow to his head. I know if he ahd a chance to d it all over again he would though. As for Trini building their attacks off of direct play I am going on record to say that ah cah support that one. I have seen nothing over the past 20 years to convince me that we can be successful playing that way. Brothers will set up themselves for failure because Costa Rica will retain the majority of possession if they play like that.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 04:56:48 PM »
Marlon Morris was my next door neighbor for 3 years...real nice fella...very educated also
had some very good chats with him

he also wrote a cool book on strike squad
ah read it 3 times...yuh know dais the only time i cry about Nov 19th ??...not on the day...but after reading de book...frig

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 05:09:01 PM »
he also wrote a cool book on strike squad
ah read it 3 times...yuh know dais the only time i cry about Nov 19th ??...not on the day...but after reading de book...frig

If anybody want de book, we have to sell.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 05:16:56 PM »
Whey boy tallman ah like how you pull that book out. I was actually around him when he was writing that book. So you know ah have meh copy under the wraps. I wish more men get a chance to read that book. All them Gally fans will realize some of the assness he do back then.We go way back in the good old days in Belmont. We play real small goal in car street and like yuh BM we spent many years just vibsing whether it be back in trinidad or in college back in the early 90's. Ah real good brother in deed

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 02:35:59 AM »
Tallman,I was in ah daze after that match,I'm sure it took me 4 bloody years to get over dat.

1]; } ?>