April 19, 2024, 11:40:06 AM

Author Topic: Latapy names 22 for Costa Rica battle  (Read 14833 times)

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
Latapy names 22 for Costa Rica battle
« on: June 02, 2009, 03:25:02 AM »
Pro League top-scorer Baptiste among eight ‘locals’
T&T Guardian Reports.

In-form Joe Public midfielder Kerry Baptiste is among eight local players from the Digicel Pro League named by Soca Warriors coach Russell Latapy. Latapy, a former national captain selected a strong 22-man squad to continue preparing for Saturday’s 2010 Concacaf World Cup qualifier against Costa Rica at the Dwight Yorke Stadium, Bacolet, Tobago from 6pm.

Baptiste, who has been overlooked in recent times by national coaches currently leads the Pro League in scoring with seven goals in four matches. He scored hat-tricks in two recent warm-up matches for the Soca Warriors during a 10-0 win over a Tobago XI on Wednesday, and a 5-1 win over Tobago All-Stars on Sunday.

On Sunday, Yorke put the national team ahead in the second-half while Baptiste and Jason Scotland added the others. Five members of the T&T team were given playing time with the Tobago club on request of Latapy. The nippy Baptiste, who can also play on the right flank is joined in the squad by local talents Keyeno Thomas (Joe Public), Makan Hislop (United Petrotrin), Keon Daniel (Caledonia AIA of Morvant/Laventille), Densill Theobald (Caledonia AIA of Morvant/Laventille), Trent Noel (United Petrotrin), Hayden Tinto (Joe Public) and goalkeeper Marvin Phillip of W Connection.

The rest of the team includes out-of-contract duo, captain Dwight Yorke and Dennis Lawrence, Clayton Ince (Walsall), Jan-Michael Williams (Ferencváros), Marvin Andrews (Raith Rovers), Khaleem Hyland (Zulte Waregem), Chris Birchall (LA Galaxy) Carlos Edwards (Sunderland), Silvio Spann (Wrexham), Kenwyne Jones (Sunderland), Avery John (DC United), Cornell Glen (San Jose Earthquakes), Collin Samuel (St Johnstone) and Jason Scotland of Swansea City.

Yesterday, US-based duo Avery John and Cornell Glen, as well as Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones, were expected to train with the team for the first time—giving coach Latapy a full compliment of players. The squad checked in at the Blue Haven Hotel, Bacolet yesterday.

Looking ahead to the match against the Costa Ricans, who T&T has never defeated in a World Cup qualifier, home or away, Latapy said, “We have had a full week and a little more time of preparations in Tobago with the 22 players that will be in camp going into Saturday’s match. “I’m happy with the response of the players to the training so far. We’ve had a chance to work on different things in relation to the way we would want to contest the upcoming match and from that aspect there were positive signs.

“We’ve worked on getting the players up to a physical level that is conducive to international football and for the remainder of the week there are other areas which we will work on which will get us up to state of readiness for the match.” The former Porto and Glasgow Rangers midfielder took over the coaching job on April 8, after the resignation of Colombian, Francisco Maturana. Samuel, who was a member of the 2006 World Cup squad in Germany is hopeful that he can help T&T pull off a win.

“It’s great to be back in the national team. I’ve been away for some time and with my club in Scotland, things have gone pretty well and I’ve been playing and enjoying my football. On Saturday hopefully we can get it right and bring home the three points. It’s a good opportunity for us to get back into the race for South Africa and there will be no better way of doing it [than] with three points from Saturday’s game against Costa Rica,” the St Johnstone player said. Following the match with Costa Rica, the Soca Warriors head to Mexico for another World Cup qualifier on June 10 at the Azteca Stadium, Mexico City.

T&T 22-man squad:

Goalkeepers

Clayton Ince, Marvin Phillip, Jan-Michael Williams.

Defenders

Dennis Lawrence, Marvin Andrews, Keyeno Thomas, Makan Hislop, Avery John.

Midfielders

Keon Daniel, Khaleem Hyland, Dwight Yorke, Chris Birchall, Densill Theobald, Trent Noel, Carlos Edwards, Silvio Spann, Kerry Baptiste, Collin Samuel, Hayden Tinto.

Forwards

Kenwyne Jones, Cornell Glen, Jason Scotland.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:15:12 AM by Flex »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline jimmel14

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy names 22 for Costa Rica battle
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 04:51:53 AM »
ok guys, so I saw the team train yesterday at the stadia....

Spann, Daniel and Edwards were doing the Corners. "
He also had them do a 11 v 11 well actually 11 v 9, cuz ince was in goal and the other 2 keepers were going through there paces at the other end of the Field.
It was basically set up to help the guys with better positioning from what i saw... Latas himself as well as Some CHubby red dood.. thing it was Vranes. were in the mix of things.
The Touches we good withing and throughout.
Dog like he spain he toe or somn... cuz he came walked out like 3/4 way during Corner Practice... Dey had him put hit foot in some Bag of semi melted Ice... Boi i felt his pain... But i dont think its anything serious..

Sorry for the Sketchiness

Peace out.. see u guys on Saturday

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 05:16:28 AM »
Well he is a man of his word in picking the best team. Kerry Baptiste would have been extremely hard to omit given his current form so I am glad to see him get a nod.  On paper thid squad looks very competant and even possibly potent.  We'll have to wait and see how they perform but I like the selections so far.  Slow in the middle on defense but guranteed to win air balls so I can accept that trade off.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 05:34:32 AM »
We will be strong on set pieces
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 05:34:54 AM »
Squad look strong on paper

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 05:45:10 AM »
Good selections!
Baptiste!! Yes!
Latas confirming that he recognizes the good characteristics in players.
Well done Latas.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 05:45:19 AM »
GO WARRIORS!!
we supporting the red white and black all the way!!!
 ;D :wavetowel:

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 05:46:12 AM »

FINALLY!!....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 06:41:13 AM »
lol. Nobody start to quarrel yet? Interesting.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 06:49:30 AM »
WE BEATING COSTA RICA
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 06:53:44 AM »
wait...no Akile? ??? lol

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 07:03:30 AM »
Hmmm. No A-Guerra? Ah wonder why. ???
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 07:13:59 AM »
A-Guerra still have some things to learn.  Skill is one thing, team-work is another.  Ah think latas taking an interest in him and will bring him along!  Patience breddas! Is only 22 named and 11 on the field.  The yute have time if he get real serious.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 07:18:03 AM »

No, because finally!! the selections make good sense. The only thing missing is say a true right back like Gray, but Latas has a back up plan with either Spann in de back feeding Carlos or a very mobile and fit Carlos in de back in a 3-5-2 for example possibly feeding Baptiste who stays wide to stretch the defense and pelt in dem crosses, some low, some high. The latter formation I like.  :thinking:

Starting 11:

Ince

Lawrence
                                       Keyeno                               Avery

Carlos                                                Theobald  
                                                           Birchall

Baptiste                                                                      Samuel

Jones                    Scotland

Subs:

Glenn for Scotty

Spann for Baptiste with Carlos pushed up instead  

Hyland for Samuel  to add a little extra defensive component based on needs at the time.

Tinto on standby, for dribbling just outside the box to lure fouls, free-kicks and penalties  

Guerra on for a tiring Birch in de 70th minute to cause havoc as a secret weapon (being told over and over in de dug-out by Latas, "Please, no fighting. If de Costa Ricans spit on you and tell yuh about yuh mudda, jess take a deep breath, watch dem bad eye and walk away to avoid de set up".)

Latas on standby in the 70th minute just in case Jones and Scotty not being fed to generate chances

Yorke on for Theobald while reverting to a 4-4-2                  
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:20:42 AM by dreamer »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 07:18:58 AM »
wait...no Akile? ??? lol

Aklie/Akiel is suspended for this match.....thank you Lord!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 07:20:18 AM »
 :beermug:

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 07:21:57 AM »
Strong team

Niceness :beermug:
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 07:37:12 AM »

No, because finally!! the selections make good sense. The only thing missing is say a a true right back like Gray, but Latas has a back up plan with either Spann in de back feeding Carlos or Carlos in de back in a 3-5-2 for example possibly feeding Baptiste. The latter I like.        
But... but... de last time Pacho pick 5 defenders with no right back, de board almost implode under de weight of cuss. Suddenly is a good ting and Spann is a viable backup plan? lol!

Me eh complainin, by the way. Just observing. Allyuh jokey.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 07:39:16 AM by Cool Beans »

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 07:42:23 AM »
Scotland Scoring in dis game.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 07:43:33 AM »
Well Cool Beans, Matas was totally unsure of himself and unfamiliar with the right players for the right role. Dis persistence with Akile Edwards was baffling. Latas on a different scene dread

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 07:58:19 AM »
I have ah complaint.  Why de hell Theobald still on de team?

Ah wish de team all de best on Saturday.  Hope dey bring back that Warrior spirit that has disappeared since the last round.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 08:15:21 AM »

Ah wish de team all de best on Saturday.  Hope dey bring back that Warrior spirit that has disappeared since the last round.

Ah man say he's ah coaches pet. Rico weh yuh is? lol
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 08:22:25 AM »

No, because finally!! the selections make good sense. The only thing missing is say a true right back like Gray, but Latas has a back up plan with either Spann in de back feeding Carlos or a very mobile and fit Carlos in de back in a 3-5-2 for example possibly feeding Baptiste who stays wide to stretch the defense and pelt in dem crosses, some low, some high. The latter formation I like.  :thinking:

Starting 11:

Ince

Keyeno          Lawrence           Avery

Birchall

Baptiste                                                                      Samuel

Subs:

Glenn for Scotty

Hyland for Samuel  to add a little extra defensive component based on needs at the time.

Tinto on standby, for dribbling just outside the box to lure fouls, free-kicks and penalties  

Guerra on for a tiring Birch in de 70th minute to cause havoc as a secret weapon (being told over and over in de dug-out by Latas, "Please, no fighting. If de Costa Ricans spit on you and tell yuh about yuh mudda, jess take a deep breath, watch dem bad eye and walk away to avoid de set up".)

Latas on standby in the 70th minute just in case Jones and Scotty not being fed to generate chances

Come nah man, you really think Yorke not going to start?  Also, Guerra not even on the roster so how he coming on for Birchall?  Latas already all but indicate he not playing so scrap that plan.

Also, you have Carlos playing inside in a 5 man midfield?  Doh see that happening...I could see Latas playing Baptiste and Carlos playing on the left but not in the position that you have Carlos listed at.

By the way, you look rather intelligent indicating subs and times of subs....
Arimian to meh heart

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
Arima,

Ah feel Latas knows that he will need plenty very fit and fast legs in the midfield to keep CR from scoring on us. He is going to have a good siddong with he pally wally Yorkie and ask him frankomen if his fitness good enough. He will not want to get carried away by what the crowd wants. It could go either way with starting or subbing on Yorke as Yorkie's leadership in the park is also vital. Carlos not really inside if yuh watch it good. He has to cover the right flank in 3-5-2 or if Latas switches to 4-4-2 as CR's wing play is deadly.

Thanks for showing that Guerra being "groomed" and not yet ready for the make or break 3 point game. Ah missed dah one.
Daniel on for Birch only if we not needing more defense at the time
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:40:47 AM by dreamer »

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 08:33:04 AM »
anybody who see the training could tell if samuel could take daniel spot?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 08:34:18 AM »
Anybody have the squad numbers ?

I think..

1.Clayton Ince, 21.Marvin Phillip, 22.Jan-Michael Williams ?

6.Dennis Lawrence, 4.Marvin Andrews ? 5.Keyeno Thomas, Makan Hislop ? 3.Avery John ?

19.Keon Daniel ?, 18.Khaleem Hyland ?, 17.Dwight Yorke, 7.Chris Birchall, Densill Theobald ?, Trent Noel ?, 11.Carlos Edwards, Silvio Spann ?, Kerry Baptiste ?, Collin Samuel ?, Hayden Tinto ?.

15.Kenwyne Jones, 13.Cornell Glen, 12.Jason Scotland.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 08:50:54 AM »
ok guys, so I saw the team train yesterday at the stadia....

Spann, Daniel and Edwards were doing the Corners. "

FINALLY!!....

Want to bet Yorke take de vast majority if not ALL de set pieces?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 09:00:42 AM »

i have a complaint too. who is the friggin playmaker that is going to control dis game. silvio spann over guerra, the coach high or what.

theobald over hector what the F&%k.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 09:08:01 AM »

No, because finally!! the selections make good sense. The only thing missing is say a a true right back like Gray, but Latas has a back up plan with either Spann in de back feeding Carlos or Carlos in de back in a 3-5-2 for example possibly feeding Baptiste. The latter I like.        
But... but... de last time Pacho pick 5 defenders with no right back, de board almost implode under de weight of cuss. Suddenly is a good ting and Spann is a viable backup plan? lol!

Me eh complainin, by the way. Just observing. Allyuh jokey.

How you will tell men they Jokey. Is Latapy picking, what could go wrong?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 09:43:20 AM »

Starting 11:

Ince

Keyeno          Lawrence           Avery

Birchall

Subs:

Glenn for Scotty

Come nah man, you really think Yorke not going to start?  Also, Guerra not even on the roster so how he coming on for Birchall?  Latas already all but indicate he not playing so scrap that plan.

Also, you have Carlos playing inside in a 5 man midfield?  Doh see that happening...I could see Latas playing Baptiste and Carlos playing on the left but not in the position that you have Carlos listed at.

By the way, you look rather intelligent indicating subs and times of subs....

Leh de man dream nuh!  ;D The man playing people who eh even selected! All yuh sweet for days!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

1]; } ?>