April 29, 2024, 02:26:16 AM

Author Topic: Carnival Needs 2 Road March Titles, A Vintage Road March and Contemporary  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
For a few years I thought about this particluar idea, i thought it was something that was needed.

One of the reasons for the decline in the standard of music of the Road March contenders can be attributed to the dominance of the djs and the phasing out of the pan sides. The changing of the times, saw people moving from pushing pan to djs on floats, which became heavily dominated by women playing more mas and enjoying the road much more than pushing pan. Pushing pan was a masculine thing, the change in this has also resulted in the change of music. The music became more aerobic oriented, no blame to the ladies, we love the ratio, however there needs to be a change to the format to raise the level of music once more.

Having two seperate competitions would be that answer. We need a " Vintage Road March" where the pan dictates the winner and not the djs. Now its easier for pan sides bc they can be pulled by trucks, but we need this restoration to how the road march originally was in order to bring back the quality of music. Calypso is dying and that in itself should not be happening. Its time to add a change to the carnival format, the carnival association hinted at extending carnival, if this happens, a 2nd road march should be one of the first options.

I think if they have a vintage road march it will give calypso a lifeline and the music will improve and eventually get back to where it was or better.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Controversial,
                       You full ah controversey. But I think you on to something dey. I agree.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
is all about $$$   if the powers that be decide that is a financially viable idea i bet u go see it done.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
is all about $$$   if the powers that be decide that is a financially viable idea i bet u go see it done.

get the govt to support it, tuco and pan trinbago need to work together on this one, along with ncc :beermug:
if they really want to save the music and bring it back to life and eventually make it commercially viable in the future, it would be highly advisable.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
For a few years I thought about this particluar idea, i thought it was something that was needed.

One of the reasons for the decline in the standard of music of the Road March contenders can be attributed to the dominance of the djs and the phasing out of the pan sides. The changing of the times, saw people moving from pushing pan to djs on floats, which became heavily dominated by women playing more mas and enjoying the road much more than pushing pan. Pushing pan was a masculine thing, the change in this has also resulted in the change of music. The music became more aerobic oriented, no blame to the ladies, we love the ratio, however there needs to be a change to the format to raise the level of music once more.

Having two seperate competitions would be that answer. We need a " Vintage Road March" where the pan dictates the winner and not the djs. Now its easier for pan sides bc they can be pulled by trucks, but we need this restoration to how the road march originally was in order to bring back the quality of music. Calypso is dying and that in itself should not be happening. Its time to add a change to the carnival format, the carnival association hinted at extending carnival, if this happens, a 2nd road march should be one of the first options.

I think if they have a vintage road march it will give calypso a lifeline and the music will improve and eventually get back to where it was or better.

Good idea, would fine tune and expand on this idea even more!

I love jouvay as well as steelband and think that songs designed for chipping down the road on Jouvay morning whether played on steelband or by a DJ sound system should be officially recognised and rewarded.

As a result I would suggest 3 road march competions with 1st, 2nd & 3rd prizes for the most popular songs:-

1. Jouvay March (Rapso songs and other Rythmic songs concentrating on the topic at hand should dominate)
2. Steeband March (Melodic songs by singers like Baron, Kenny J, etc, should dominate)
3. Road March (Most popular jump-up tune over Monday & Tuesday)
4. Beach March (Most popular water tune at the beaches for Ash Wednesday.....just joking!  ;D)

This is not the whole solution but I think this should help to bring our music back overall to where it was in the older days!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Damn good post TI.  :thumbsup: That could bring not only the music back, it could breathe new life into the ol' mas, stickfighting, and the older tradtions like story telling etc. Plenty locals and tourists looking for a more meaningful exploration of the culture than just wining and roti. It have nuff strength around the historical traditions to build up a whole 'new' industry
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
TI, ah must admit ah had to do ah double take..

good stuff. :beermug:

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

Good idea, would fine tune and expand on this idea even more!

I love jouvay as well as steelband and think that songs designed for chipping down the road on Jouvay morning whether played on steelband or by a DJ sound system should be officially recognised and rewarded.

As a result I would suggest 3 road march competions with 1st, 2nd & 3rd prizes for the most popular songs:-

1. Jouvay March (Rapso songs and other Rythmic songs concentrating on the topic at hand should dominate)
2. Steeband March (Melodic songs by singers like Baron, Kenny J, etc, should dominate)
3. Road March (Most popular jump-up tune over Monday & Tuesday)
4. Beach March (Most popular water tune at the beaches for Ash Wednesday.....just joking!  ;D)

This is not the whole solution but I think this should help to bring our music back overall to where it was in the older days!

its a great idea for the jouvert breds but i feel the immediate concern is the pan kaiso which originally decided the road march, that is of utmost importance for the music as a whole, even more so than jouvert, the long term vision is to make lasting music like before, not this fast food soca of today. When you hear tunes like bassman and woman on the bass, rebecca and so forth, they last, its time the artists make music that lasts and then they will eventually realize that soca music also has to have that staying quality.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 12:47:25 PM by Controversial »

1]; } ?>