March 28, 2024, 03:53:37 PM

Author Topic: Ince: Costa Rica won't roll over us  (Read 4105 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Ince: Costa Rica won't roll over us
« on: June 04, 2009, 11:25:42 PM »
Tobago Sees Red.
By: Lasana Liburd (T&T Express).

Tobago will have their first chance to show what hosting tomorrow evening's crucial 2010 World Cup qualifier between Trinidad and Tobago and Costa Rica means to the Sister Isle and it should make for splendid viewing.

Theophilus Trim, Director of Sport for the Tobago House of Assembly (THA), told the Express yesterday that Tobago are ready to host the "Soca Warriors" and player/coach Russell Latapy and his troops should have visual proof today as the THA urged residents to turn out in red attire.

"There will be a day of red in Tobago (today)," said Trim. "All school children and teachers were asked to wear red as a means of showing support to the national football team. We are asking citizens to do the same and to put the (national) flags on their cars and so on."

The defiant mood in Tobago is already shared by the Warriors.

On Wednesday night, Costa Rica produced a magnificent performance at home to swamp the United States 3-1 in World Cup qualifying action. The result saw the "Ticos" leapfrog the US to first place in the CONCACAF standings with nine points from four matches, while Trinidad and Tobago are bottom of the table with two points from three outings.

But 36-year-old national goalkeeper Clayton Ince, who has a national record of ten World Cup qualifying clean sheets, insisted that tomorrow's clash will not resemble the standings.

"Costa Rica's result (against the United States) could be a mixed one for us," said the England-based custodian. "They might come thinking that they will roll over us because they beat America, whereas we know we have to be at our best because of that result.

"We know we have our job to do and we are fully focused on that."

There was an air of excitement and industry in Bacolet yesterday.

At the Dwight Yorke Stadium, workmen applied the finishing touches on the covered stands and marked the playing field while make-shift bleachers were already in place behind each goalpost and merely awaiting the final inspection. The new stands will increase the ground capacity from 7,500 to 9,000 patrons.

Trim told the Express the new scoreboard was up and the facility was in top condition. The dressing rooms were upgraded, air-condition units were replaced, the lighting was improved and the plumbing and stand-by generator were also tested.

"We are ready," said Trim. "Over time, there will be little issues that arise at any venue but everything has to be done by our stadium manager and the project manager to ensure that things run smoothly tomorrow."

A big screen television in Scarborough will offer a live broadcast of the World Cup qualifier, which is the first staged by Tobago, while pubs across the island are also inviting Tobagonians to come out and add to the atmosphere.

"This is a hugely-important event for Tobago," said Trim. "It is also the first competitive game for Dwight (Yorke) in the stadium named after him."

Yorke, the national captain and T&T's most accomplished player, is one of three Tobagonians in Latapy's 22-man squad, along with playmaker Keon Daniel, who is Trinidad and Tobago's leading scorer in this campaign, and defender Makan Hislop.

The game also marks Latapy's international coaching debut and Ince and company are eager to provide him with a victorious start.

"We all know Latapy as a player," said Ince, "but he has a different role now and we understand that and are looking forward to doing our best for him."

Tobago expect nothing less.

FANCY STEPS: Veteran Trinidad and Tobago defender Marvin "Dog" Andrews, right, and midfielder Densil Theobald, always the life of the party, share a dance during yesterday's training session as the Soca Warriors prepare for tomorrow's 2010 World Cup qualifier at the Dwight Yorke Stadium in Bacolet, Tobago. -Photo: MICHEAL BRUCE

...not taking 'Ticos' for granted
T&T Express reports.

Trinidad and Tobago will have a final training session at 4.30 p.m. today on the eve of their all-important 2010 World Cup Qualifier against Costa Rica at the Dwight Yorke Stadium tomorrow.

Head coach Russell Latapy is expecting the encounter to be a very tactical one and has urged his players to pay particular attention to the calculated style of the Costa Ricans, who will go into the encounter on a high following their convincing 3-1 win over the United States on Wednesday night in San Jose.

"We expect the game to be a very tactical one and we have the respect for Costa Rica because right now they are on top of the group. They have always been a difficult side to break down and the results show that because we have never beaten them in a World Cup qualifier before," Latapy told Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) media officer Shaun Fuentes yesterday.

"Our approach will also have to be sound and good tactically because they will obviously consider themselves favourites in this one," Latapy added.

Sunderland midfielder Carlos Edwards echoed similar sentiments, but he still wants to see the Soca Warriors take the game to the Costa Ricans.

Already, Mexican and Costa Rican media have started arriving on the island. A couple Mexican reporters cleverly checked in unannounced at the Blue Haven Hotel where the Warriors are based and had to be warned about their filming of the T&T contingent on the premises.

Trinidad and Tobago will be off to Mexico for their next qualifier on Wednesday.

In tobago, the spirit among the T&T faithful has been upbeat, with Trinidadians arriving in their red gear. Even some of Latapy's fans and former teammates from Scotland and Portugal have touched down on the sister isle to support the "Little Magician" and his troops.

"Things are shaping up quite well. Russell has had a fair amount of time for us to come together for such a crucial game and for it to be Russell's first as a manager...things are definitely looking positive," Edwards told Fuentes.

"They are one of the favourites and coming away with a  3-1 win over the USA is a big boost for them. We will have to try our best to get on top of them. We know what we are capable of at this stage."

Looking back at the 0-0 draw with Costa Rica in Port of Spain in 2005, the former Defence Force and Wrexham star says he believes the hosts can end tomorrow's game on a brighter note.

"There's no reason why we shouldn't believe we can do it. We were in a similar position back then and we have to keep level heads. I  will be satisfied with nothing less than a win on Saturday," Edwards stated.

And in light of Steve Bruce's appointment as manager of Sunderland, Edwards said: "Managers and players come and go. It's going to be a new challenge for Steve Bruce and the rest of the players like Kenwyne (Jones) and myself. We've never played under him so we don't know what to expect. But I will hope it's a bright future for Sunderland and myself as a player.

"It was good to survive for a second successive season in the Premiership and we did it in nail-biting style. Hopefully the squad can kick forward from here on. Money has a lot to play in the football, but then it's down to the players to make it happen on the pitch," he said, adding that Dwight Yorke will be missed at the club.

"He's one that will be badly missed because of his experience and the way that he gets on with the rest of the guys. And I'm not saying this as a countryman but because I think all the other players feel that way about him," Edwards concluded.

The Costa Ricans, who arrived yesterday afternoon, are scheduled to train after T&T at the match venue this evening.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:29:54 PM by E-man »

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ince: Costa Rica won't roll over us
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 12:02:11 AM »
Them playing football in that pic or auditioning for dancing with the stars... steups... :(

(de tights that Dog wearing eh helping that scene, it almost look like he done twirl bleeder....)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 01:36:51 AM by Daft Trini »

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 01:21:38 AM »
Great to see affection in the camp...... ;D

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Today is red day in Tobago
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 04:09:28 AM »
if u n red u dead. school children are given permission to wear red tops 2day to show support 4 the warrior's WCQ on saturday.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 04:59:57 AM by freakazoid »
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 05:06:22 AM »
Them playing football in that pic or auditioning for dancing with the stars... steups... :(

(de tights that Dog wearing eh helping that scene, it almost look like he done twirl bleeder....)

if you rather a pic with them just standing up looking glum then you must be a c**t

The last time i see the boys smiling like that was when Leo was in charge...the best year of my life...

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 05:28:34 AM »

if you rather a pic with them just standing up looking glum then you must be a c**t

The last time i see the boys smiling like that was when Leo was in charge...the best year of my life...

Woah now small peg.... no need to be calling man yuh favourite body part now...! I glad, just as you to see them happy... delighted to make "light" of a very tough game ahead.  :beermug:

Offline verycute1

• Hero Warrior
  • Me Smash.. You Die
    • View Profile
Re: Today is red day in Tobago
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 05:50:23 AM »
I remember having red day the friday before we play the us.......... Strike squad days
One of these days I'm going to bust out the crystalline doomhammer and go positively orc on this town. Then they'll be sorry...

Read the lore, warlocks are mages that decided not to suck.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 07:07:50 AM »
The decision to play this game in Tobago seems even more justiifed now. Not withstanding the stadia capacity, which is more of a TTFF revenue source rather than THA, the euphoria of hosting its first game will provide the necessary atmosphere of a home ground.

In light of the current financial crisis where tourism based economies are really feeling the pinch of this global recession, the amount of visitors and  business Tobago will get this weekend should really have a positive impact in terms of air and sea travel, hotel accomodation, local transport (taxis, car rentals) and other service industries.

Not to mention it gave me the perfect opportunity to spend a weekend in the sister isle, a place i haven't been to in quite a while. I'll be touching down this evening to join in the festivities. Can't wait!

Vibes it up!
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline socachynee

• Sr. Warrior
  • goals win games
    • View Profile
Re: Today is red day in Tobago
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 07:13:37 AM »
Yeah memories
I was actually wukkin at a T shirt printing company in St James
at de end of day, from wukkin wid all de red shirts
we were printing the stike squad prints

I remember having red day the friday before we play the us.......... Strike squad days

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 07:13:43 AM »

aye
I have to say
some of allya real tough....real tough indeed
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 07:17:20 AM »
Tobago Sees Red.

"We all know Latapy as a player," said Ince, "but he has a different role now and we understand that and are looking forward to doing our best for him."Tobago expect nothing less.

dat right dey is an important statement. daiz d kinda respect an love a team should have fuh dey coach. yuh never hear dat statement when pacho was at d helm
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 07:19:06 AM »

*sigh*
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline 7 blessings

• Lion II Zion
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 07:20:16 AM »
NO TEAM COMING IN WE YARD AND RUFF WE UP AGAIN>>>>USA WAS THE LAST STRAW.....ESPECIALLY NOT IN 'BAGO........Is thunder when dem come down in the hole....we is not no soiff man team dread so we better eh play like it, let dem go home bruise if dem wah come disrespect we in we home
Jesus Christ died for us....now it's time for us to Live for Him

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 07:28:16 AM »
all we hadda do is give d costa rican players a big bowl ah crab and dumpln wid some provision rite before d match. dat go make dem get heavy an sluggish  ;D
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
all we hadda do is give d costa rican players a big bowl ah crab and dumpln wid some provision rite before d match. dat go make dem get heavy an sluggish  ;D
lol

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 07:07:21 PM »
Tobago Sees Red.

"We all know Latapy as a player," said Ince, "but he has a different role now and we understand that and are looking forward to doing our best for him."Tobago expect nothing less.

dat right dey is an important statement. daiz d kinda respect an love a team should have fuh dey coach. yuh never hear dat statement when pacho was at d helm

Dat is d x factor dem fellas go want 2 do it 4 Latas.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sentinel

• Full Warrior
  • Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 07:36:40 PM »
D most important factor is that we play better football than Costa Rica..and win..dat is all...de rest doh matter!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 10:25:29 PM »
If we could draw wid sweden and give paraguay ah good run for their money far away from home, then i'm sure we could beat costa rica in our own back yard!

that's certainly not impossible. we just need tuh stay focused and not give up any goals, if they score off their merit then cool, but no cheap soft goals.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 06:49:30 AM »
dat image is unacceptable

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 08:45:58 AM »
11 vs 11 and de ball round. But wait! It have ah bunch ah people in red black and white screaming fuh one ah de 11. So guess what...that is Trinidad and Tobago vs 11. We can't loose!!!!
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline bajanscout

• bajanscout
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 09:01:46 AM »
THEY WONT IF IMPS DOH START HES REL SHIT BRING TROY MARQUIS IF KELVIN JACK AINT COMING BACK START JAN MICHAEL
bajanscout

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 09:02:46 AM »
THEY WONT IF IMPS DOH START HES REL SHIT BRING TROY MARQUIS IF KELVIN JACK AINT COMING BACK START JAN MICHAEL
thanks Ms Cleo
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline bajanscout

• bajanscout
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 09:04:06 AM »
WERKLMANN WAT UR WORKING UR TONGUE IN PPL BOTTOM :rotfl:
bajanscout

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 09:52:14 AM »
WERKLMANN WAT UR WORKING UR TONGUE IN PPL BOTTOM :rotfl:

Bajanscout, Where you come out from?  Whats the deal with all the homo vibes and wierdness?

Offline Trinishottaz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2009, 02:09:12 PM »
go warriors

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2009, 06:27:55 PM »
they pung 3 goals pass yuh fat belly

Offline bajanscout

• bajanscout
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2009, 08:09:50 PM »
 :rotfl:i told yall imps is shit we woulda get 3 i told yall hahahahaha start jan michael
bajanscout

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 03:35:02 PM »
;D

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 05:18:24 PM »
:rotfl:i told yall imps is shit we woulda get 3 i told yall hahahahaha start jan michael

Doh get vex becz Ince blank yuh!

You could give somebody else head in Barbados.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 05:24:36 PM »

LOL  ::)
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

1]; } ?>