March 28, 2024, 01:14:42 PM

Author Topic: Latapy rules out playing vs Costa Ricans tonight  (Read 4658 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Latapy rules out playing vs Costa Ricans tonight
« on: June 05, 2009, 11:38:43 PM »
Latapy rules out playing vs Costa Ricans tonight.
By: Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday).

TRINIDAD and Tobago football team coach Russell Latapy has affirmed that the squad is ready to face Costa Rica in today’s 2010 FIFA World Cup CONCACAF Zone Final Round qualifier at the Dwight Yorke Stadium, Bacolet.

“We’re prepared as best as we can for the game,” said the 40-year-old, during a media briefing yesterday.

“We’re ready to go. It’s a home game,” he said. “We need to win. We have to still in contention so we’re looking forward to it.”

Today’s fixture will be Latapy’s first since he replaced the Colombia-born Francisco Maturana at the helm of the Trinidad and Tobago team in April.

“I’ve been involved in football all my life so it’s a big occasion,” he said. “We’re going to take it seriously, as we should.”

It was no surprise that the soft-spoken Latapy, dubbed the “Little Magician” refused to divulge his tactics for the match. “I have a decent idea, based on the players that I have available,” he said.

The players – local and foreign-based, have been involved in month- long training sessions, both at the Bacolet venue and the Larry Gomes Stadium in Malabar.

“I’m happy as I can be,” Latapy noted. “But I’d like to have more time to work with the team. I understand that we’re allowed a certain amount of time. We’ve worked hard and the players have made my decision very hard to make.”

Latapy continued to stress that he will not be playing in today’s qualifier.

“I’m not going to be available for this game,” he pointed out. “It’s difficult to coach and play at this level.

“With now getting the team and having to play in the team, I’m concentrating now on coaching than playing. I’m not physically ready to play.

He stated the team, while in Tobago, was able to focus on the task at hand, and avoid any distractions from the fans, and the atmosphere in Trinidad. But he issued a challenge to the strikers that he selected – Kenwyne Jones, Jason Scotland and Cornell Glen, that they have to start to convert their chances into goals.

“We need to score goals to win games,” Latapy said. “None of our strikers have scored so far in the competition. “We have an opportunity to rectify that at home and that’s the challenge for the strikers,” he added. “They need to go out there and score.”

While he admitted that he did not see Costa Rica’s 3-1 win, at home, against the United States on Wednesday, he noted that both the Costa Ricans and Trinidad and Tobago are equally favoured for a win.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy rules out playing vs Costa Ricans tonight
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 12:12:01 AM »
I hope that somebody on staff watched the game since Latas didn't  :-\

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 01:21:03 AM »

Yeah, that's a bit worrying as there is something that most modern football coaches strive to do which is to scout your next opponent to help you formulate the best strategy to beat them!

Maybe Latas believes he already knows what to expect from Costa Rica and wants to concentrate on what he would like the Warriors to do to mess up their game plan!
In other words we must play our game and dictate the way things go on all parts of the field as we are playing at home just like what CR did to the USA on Wednesday!
I just hope the Tobago crowd will know when to cheer and when to boo and not to go dead quiet if CR happens to score and stop cheering for our team especially if they score first!! We need to beat CR by at least 2 goals as I won’t be able to take the nerves near the end if we only 1 goal ahead in the last 5 mins.

Allyuh remember this, the top 3 teams which will go to SA next year from CONCACAF must win all if not most of their home games, they cyah afford to lose any home games! One draw at home is the limit and T&T already use up that life so is just wins at home we need to get from now on if we want to get back in contention for the trip to SA next year!!

Lets pray that Latas pulls this off and can work his Magic and RF is forced to switch off his TV!  ;D

Bet you if Latapy can do black magic and take us to SA next year that Falkirk will be calling him back to manage the club and after he takes them to 3rd in the league followed by the title the following year Chelsea will be calling!!  ;)

Good luck to Latas, work your black magic, we praying for your success and transition from being a great player into being a great coach!! CR :flamethrower: T&T
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 08:08:04 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 01:56:50 AM »

Hmmm...Latas eh watch de game against Costa Rica and nobody worried.  Is all good.  Latas know wha he doin.  Man makin all kinda excuse talkin bout he already know what to expeck from CR all kinda ting.

But ah nex coach say he eh worried bout de opposition he jes concentratin his team and what dey have to do and HE is a shithong, doh know wha he doin, how he cyah scout de opposition was de cry, all dem abuse and more full up de board fuh days.

De hypocrisy on here palpable sah.. 8)

Good luck anyways Latas... :beermug:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 01:59:31 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 02:16:00 AM »
Latapy: “I’m happy as I can be,” Latapy noted. “But I’d like to have more time to work with the team. I understand that we’re allowed a certain amount of time. We’ve worked hard and the players have made my decision very hard to make.”

Latapy:“None of our strikers have scored so far in the competition. “We have an opportunity to rectify that at home and that’s the challenge for the strikers,” he added. “They need to go out there and score.”

Comment #1: he not sure.

Comment #2 I like, signs of a good coach : challenging, he need production up front.  In other words if you can't get it done you will be replace. let's see.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 02:32:00 AM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 05:58:12 AM »

Hmmm...Latas eh watch de game against Costa Rica and nobody worried.  Is all good.  Latas know wha he doin.  Man makin all kinda excuse talkin bout he already know what to expeck from CR all kinda ting.

But ah nex coach say he eh worried bout de opposition he jes concentratin his team and what dey have to do and HE is a shithong, doh know wha he doin, how he cyah scout de opposition was de cry, all dem abuse and more full up de board fuh days.

Same ting i thinking palos........imagine if Maturana say that he didnt watch the game......lol.

But on the other hand, i think that he just say that for the sake of the media, as some kind of decoy....

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 07:04:29 AM »
Latas did not see the game live in Costa Rica  ....sure, but doh be fooled, he saw the game on he laptop/computer just like allyuh football horngry forumites who read dis forum. He is just trying to throw off the opposition and kinda lower your expectations so that you will all be ecstatic with a good result. Also he might play if he wants. Iz no sweat for him to play the last 15-20 minutes and thread 2-3 game winning passes if needed. Daiz a nex set up he trying for Costa Rica. Big up Latas! ... for de element of surprise.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 07:12:04 AM »
Latas did not see the game live in Costa Rica  ....sure, but doh be fooled, he saw the game on he laptop/computer just like allyuh football horngry forumites who read dis forum. He is just trying to throw off the opposition and kinda lower your expectations so that you will all be ecstatic with a good result. Also he might play if he wants. Iz no sweat for him to play the last 15-20 minutes and thread 2-3 game winning passes if needed. Daiz a nex set up he trying for Costa Rica. Big up Latas! ... for de element of surprise.
lol.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 07:12:50 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SqjMkMbrAFU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SqjMkMbrAFU</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »

people here still depend  hoping on latapy playing poor souls
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 07:42:44 AM »

palos hit the nail on the head, well it have real hypocrites on the board here since the old board, so its expected. mats latest interview where he reveals the ttff was picking the team was also not a surprise, it makes you think if anything has changed

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 08:26:47 AM »

palos hit the nail on the head, well it have real hypocrites on the board here since the old board, so its expected. mats latest interview where he reveals the ttff was picking the team was also not a surprise, it makes you think if anything has changed

palos still vex he boy Mats gone oui

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 08:31:05 AM »
"Costa Ricans and Trinidad and Tobago are equally favoured for a win."
eh ???
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 08:35:05 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SqjMkMbrAFU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SqjMkMbrAFU</a>

I doh understand nuttin deh saying on tha video... so swineflu go geh lash fuh that.  :rotfl:
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 08:39:09 AM »
The assistant coach went to the game with CR and USA

Same ting i thinking palos........imagine if Maturana say that he didnt watch the game......lol.

But on the other hand, i think that he just say that for the sake of the media, as some kind of decoy....

ah love it!!
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 09:17:58 AM »
Remember Latapy sent Vranes to watch the Costa Rica game first-hand.

Of course, assistant coach Zoran Vranes, who will be in San Jose to watch tonight's encounter first-hand, is expected to present a comprehensive report with all sorts of technical and tactical analysis when he returns to Tobago.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 09:55:50 AM »

Of course, assistant coach Zoran Vranes, who will be in San Jose to watch tonight's encounter first-hand, is expected to present a comprehensive report with all sorts of technical and tactical analysis when he returns to Tobago.
Allyuh have to be real forkin stupid tuh believe latas eh watch dat game!! yuh know how much yrs latas in this sport tuh make such ah clueless mistake?

doh mind dem fellas peong, they know better, they just like tuh type.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 10:11:32 AM »

Allyuh have to be real forkin stupid tuh believe latas eh watch dat game!! yuh know how much yrs latas in this sport tuh make such ah clueless mistake?

Maturana in dis sport even longer dan Latas, though. And most of us was ready to believe and cuss dat he didn't look at our opponents.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »

Maturana in dis sport even longer dan Latas, though. And most of us was ready to believe and cuss dat he didn't look at our opponents.
Breds did you read the article where latas sent vranes tuh scout the costa rica game? why would vranes go through all dat trouble tuh go tuh costa rica if they didn't want tuh stake them out and plan a strategy.

yuh must remember it's the T&T media yuh dealing wid, so yuh have tuh take every thing wid ah grain of salt. latas more than watch the game , and he knows exactly what too expect. BTW latas in the modern game longer than pancho.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 10:18:58 AM »

Simply becz those of us who are realistic and have an eye for talent knew that he, Maturana, was shit from the beginning. Added to his utter incompetence came the stupid but honest remarks from him. I will withhold judgement on Russell until after the game. It doh take two games to recognise ability. Maturana showed his lack of coaching ability after his first game incharge of the national team, and, for those who followed his previous sorry exploits, long before that.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 11:08:10 AM by sub1 »

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 11:03:59 AM »

You know all that is just gun talk.  Everybody does peep everybody.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 11:08:44 AM »
Simply becz those of us who are realistic and have an eye for talent

Eye for talent? 

Comin from de one who say Dwayne Jack is a big balla?  ::)

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 11:20:59 AM »

Eye for talent? 

Now if you could bring up that quote i will be amazed. If you have a problem with language you are excused. I do however hold fast to the opinion that he is naturally a good talent just never developed. I have also said from the inception that your boy skillachi is yet to impress me. It seems as though the big coaches abroad hold fast to my opinion also. Since I have only seen him at international level I will again excuse you. Maybe both he and maturana may prove me wrong one day. I am waiting for someone to prove you right about something, anything, football.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 11:35:12 AM »

Eye for talent? 

Now if you could bring up that quote i will be amazed. If you have a problem with language you are excused. I do however hold fast to the opinion that he is naturally a good talent just never developed. I have also said from the inception that your boy skillachi is yet to impress me. It seems as though the big coaches abroad hold fast to my opinion also. Since I have only seen him at international level I will again excuse you. Maybe both he and maturana may prove me wrong one day. I am waiting for someone to prove you right about something, anything, football.

I have no need to be "proven right" on anything sah.  I secure in myself which includes knowing I'm fallible....and I'm quite comfortable with that.

You on the other hand appear to need to demonstrate that you know it all.  Which usually indicates an individual who is afraid that they'll be found out to the contrary.  But carry on "smartly".

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2009, 11:46:02 AM »

Eye for talent? 

I have no need to be "proven right" on anything sah.  I secure in myself which includes knowing I'm fallible....and I'm quite comfortable with that.

You on the other hand appear to need to demonstrate that you know it all.  Which usually indicates an individual who is afraid that they'll be found out to the contrary.  But carry on "smartly".

Again, as usual, you are wrong. But if that is your coward way of getting out of your sorry insinuation and mis characterisation of what i said then you have only proven me right again. But carry on "cowardly".

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2009, 12:20:33 PM »
This is a completely different CR with new additions. I am really surprised that Latas did not scout them.

Judging from the USA game, CR looked very very impressive. Yes they were at home on an artificial surface. But the manner in which they dismantled the US, was to say the least scary. The 3-1 score line flattered the USA and it would be better to have some idea as to their general game plan.

Ah well too late for that

Lets go T&T
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2009, 12:24:31 PM »
come nuh People
is what allya thinking really making sense
Latas had Vranes go to the game
and I am sure that he scouted CR
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2009, 12:30:52 PM »
come nuh People

Thanks for some sanity to the postings.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2009, 12:43:01 PM »
come nuh People
But how come it make sense when Mats say it?

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2009, 12:46:44 PM »
come nuh People
But how come it make sense when Mats say it?
my comment is also applicable to that situation
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>