April 18, 2024, 11:49:33 AM

Author Topic: Keston Julien Thread  (Read 11003 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Meet the Trinidad and Tobago international who helped Sheriff shock Real Madrid
By Jon Arnold (getconcacafed.com)

As a quick, crafty left back, Keston Julien grew up idolizing Marcelo and supporting Real Madrid.

Tuesday night, then, was a dream come true as the Trindad and Tobago native set foot on the field of the Bernabéu, making his debut in the group stage of the UEFA Champions League. Just…not for Real Madrid.

The Port of Spain native achieving the dream seems beyond imagination, as did the idea Julien’s club Sheriff, a team nominally and technically from Moldova but a symbol of pride for the breakaway republic of Transnistria, would beat Real Madrid.

Yet, 10 minutes after Julien came into the match, he was celebrating teammate Sebastien Thill’s 89th minute goal to do just that, putting Sheriff atop a group that in addition to Los Blancos also includes Inter Milan and Shakhtar Donetsk, who Sheriff already have beaten.

“It was crazy, man,” Julien says from Tiraspol when I reach him by Zoom. “Going into the game I was really excited, but also nervous. I wasn’t in the starting lineup but was hoping to come on like I did. I came on and tried to contribute to the team.”

Julien also played his part in Sheriff’s domestic title run last season and also was a key contributor in push to get into the UCL group stage but currently is locked in a battle for playing time with Brazilian left back Cristiano.

The Concacaf player says the two have a good relationship, with Cristiano regularly motivating him in training, and feels it won’t be long until one or both of them move on to a higher level.

That bond between the Trinidadian and the Brazilian is somewhat commonplace on a Sheriff side that features players from more than a dozen countries living in a place where Julien said there are few actvities to enjoy other than going out for a bite to eat.

Even that is becoming more complicated, with Julien and his teammates standing out in the crowd of the Russian-speaking city with a population around 134,000.

“When they see a Black guy like me, they know I’m a footballer from Sheriff, because there are not many people like me here,” he said. “That’s why I stay in plenty because when you go out, you’re like a superstar. Everyone wants a photo, wants to take pictures. It’s a small town, but everyone knows you. You feel like you’re a big player.”

Julien is starting to live up to the big-player billing, and he hopes his Champions League cameos will bloom into more minutes or even starts.

Spotted by a Dutch agent at the Concacaf U-17 Championships in Honduras in 2015, Julien had trials in the Netherlands and Belgium before settling in Slovakia, where he signed with Trenčín.

The adaptation from Caribbean to Europe, where he had to adjust both athletically and culturally, was tough but eventually he had a sucessful run in Slovakia. In addition to league matches, he played eight Europa League contests, his first continential action since a 2015 Concacaf Champions League cameo as a teenager with W Connection.

“We have a lot of good players but not a lot of facilities. We have good coaches but not top, top coaches,” Julien said of soccer in Trinidad. “To come from there, I struggled at the start in Slovakia, but after six or seven months started to pick it up.”

Julien, who plays as a left winger in addition to his primary role at left back, suffered an injury in 2020 that was set to keep him out for a long period of time but said he was ‘saved’ by the league shutting down because of the coronavirus pandemic. That allowed him to get fit and contribute to the final 10 matches of the Trenčín season and earn a move to Sheriff.

Unlike other Concacaf players in the UEFA Champions League group stage, Julien isn’t yet fully consolidated with his national team. He has a cap in just one official match with Trinidad and Tobago, playing in the scoreless World Cup qualification draw with the Bahamas that condemned the Soca Warriors to first-round elimination.

Yet, Julien is convinced that not only is the team on the right path with new manager Angus Eve, whose teams Julien remembers always getting the best of his in Trinidad and Tobago, but also feels he has a big part to play going forward.

Trinidad and Tobago currently has few Europe-based players upon which it can call, with Julien, AEK Athens standout Levi Garcia (plus brother Judah, currently with AEK’s B team) and Mechelen center back Sheldon Bateau forming the core of Europe-based players Eve surely will rely on when the Nations League resumes.

‘This was a sad moment for us not not not winning this game (against the Bahamas), but I think going forward with the national team, once we stay on the right path we can do good. We have a good group of players who can do well, and I think going forward we will do well.”

For his personal goals, Julien wants to play as many minutes as possible with Sheriff, make a Champions League start and push on to a bigger league in addition to getting more international opportunities.

It’s already been a good beginning to the 2021-22 campaign, though. How often do you end September making a dream come true?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Keston Julien Thread
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2021, 05:27:24 AM »
Different journeys
By Fazeer Mohammed (T&T Express)

Preoccupy yourself with anticipation over Colm’s performance this afternoon if you want, I prefer today to focus however on how life can diverge so dramatically for two footballers who followed a similar path.

As casual observers like myself appreciate the significance of Moldovan champions Sheriff Tiraspol’s dramatic defeat of 13-time European kings Real Madrid at the Bernabeu last Tuesday, and more specifically the involvement of national player Keston Julien in the final few minutes of that game, thoughts instinctively turn to the very different, and very tragic fate of Akeem Adams eight years ago.

Both grew up in the southland (Julien from Gasparillo, Adams from Point Fortin), both attended Presentation College of San Fernando and were also involved with WC Connection in their football development. Indeed Julien would have been very much part of the youth programme at the Savonetta-based club when Adams made the leap to Europe.

In the same way that almost no-one outside his immediate circle of family and friends would have been aware of Julien’s involvement with a relatively young club in one of the former republics of the Soviet Union, not many at the time appeared to have much regard for Adams signing with Ferencvaros of Hungary.

That was not only because of the inevitable preoccupation with leagues in western Europe and even Major League Soccer in the United States but also the reality that Hungary, a global footballing powerhouse for two decades — they were Olympic champions three times and beaten finalists at the World Cups of 1938 and 1954 — had declined almost to obscurity since then and, worse than that, continues as a society to be defined by ingrained racism.

Yet it was there that Adams, a defender like Julien, hoped to excel and maybe attract the eyes and the chequebooks of the Manchester Uniteds and Barcelonas of the stratospheric club environment.

That dream became a nightmare, though, when sometime between our Republic Day and the morning of September 25, 2013 he suffered a massive heart attack from which he never recovered, eventually passing away on December 30 of that year at a hospital in the Hungarian capital, Budapest.

Akeem Adams was 22 years old, the same age as Keston Julien who is surely looking at his club’s historic qualification for the European Champions League main group stage as a springboard to much greater things in what is still an emerging footballing career.

Sheriff’s 2-0 home victory over Shakhtar Donetsk of the Ukraine and this stunning result in Madrid will obviously turn a few more heads their way, and across a succession of interviews in different media since last Tuesday we are learning more about Julien’s dream debut against the club he supports as a football fan, the prized shirt of David Alaba (still unwashed) he received in the usual post-game exchange and the final message he left us with in the story in these pages yesterday, which drew on Trinidad and Tobago Football Association media officer Shaun Fuentes’ interview with him: “Never give up. With football, your life could change in one year (or) six months. I could have given up so many times.”

Regaining a position in Tiraspol’s starting 11 is Julien’s immediate challenge but if his attitude is anything to go by, you wouldn’t write him off by any stretch of the imagination as they continue the domestic campaign and look ahead to the next Champions League challenge against Italian champions Inter Milan at the San Siro on October 19.

Primarily a left-wing back, he was summoned by head coach Yuriy Vernydub, a Ukrainian national, to fill a left-winger’s role for the final 12 minutes of the Real Madrid game. So he was on the pitch and among the celebrants piling onto Sebastien Thill after the Luxembourg midfielder’s superb left-footed strike from the edge of the penalty area clinched the shock result.

At a time of huge economic challenges, when so many of our young people are wondering what lies ahead for them, Julien’s story so far should be seen as an object lesson on the value of perseverance, on overcoming personal (he was apparently bullied as a “fatboy” in his earlier years) and other challenges in pursuit of certain aspirations.

Obviously we won’t all reach the summit of our ambitions and you certainly hope there is much more for Julien to achieve in his footballing career. But this experience reminds us that there is no set path towards success. A journey to football glory isn’t only about playing in England, Spain, Italy, Germany or France. It could be propelled via Vietnam, Taiwan, India, Indonesia or, as in this case, Moldova.

We also are mindful that, as transpired so sadly with Akeem Adams, even with the best will and greatest effort in the world, some things are just not meant to be.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2021, 09:54:18 AM »
WATCH: Keston Julien speaks about his 'dream' Champions League debut for FC Sheriff Tiraspol after stunning Real Madrid.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wu8iXn6irX0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wu8iXn6irX0</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2021, 10:11:56 AM »
So glad to have a team that I can have some kinda mental and physical affiliation to follow. Even as minnows  in a big sea of sharks. Eventually they will be eaten, but gotta love their spunk. Good work KJ IId. Keep up the good work guy!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2023, 08:05:56 PM »
After three years and 67 appearances, Keston Julien and FC Sheriff Tiraspol have mutually decided to part ways. During his time at the club, Keston won two Moldovan Super Liga titles, a Moldovan Cup winner's medal, and made his debut in the UEFA Champions League, most notably against Real Madrid.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2023, 01:49:42 PM »
I hope he lands somewhere good

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2023, 03:50:03 PM »
Peong lets hope he has a good agent
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline rastafari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2023, 06:40:50 PM »
Does anyone know why the club agreed to end his contract on mutual terms.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2023, 04:31:51 AM »
I read that he was out of contract at the end of the season and since he is currently injured, it was felt that it was best to terminate the agreement now so he could get a head start on looking for another club. It was clear for a while now  that his contract was not going to be renewed, because he was not included in their squad for European competition and his minutes were declining.

1]; } ?>