April 29, 2024, 06:56:28 AM

Author Topic: Foreign-based College Players Thread  (Read 97795 times)

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
Re: MLS Player Development: Is College the Way to Go?
« Reply #240 on: December 22, 2008, 09:10:13 PM »
College soccer is the worst trust me! played four years... should have concentrated on school or try going to europe or something!!! :-\
All American

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 23, 2008, 08:10:20 AM »
4300 seniors playing soccer.

times 3 = 12000 people playing soccer add NAIA and Junior college and you probably get to 20,000

20,000 people playing organized soccer with drive and purpose

20,000 people between the ages of 18-25 playing competitive ball.

compare that to how many people playing competitive football in Trinidad for example and you will see the benefit of college soccer to the US soccer foundation.

Not to mention coaches, assistant coaches 100% employed in soccer by the hundreds if not thousands.

To get top soccer coaches at national level it would not happen without a college system for them to work in.

Same thing for Players, Mls players constantly have to be on top of their game because there is a steady stream of players comming each year with dreams to make the squad.
Even if they do not make it, the competition forces improvement.

If Trinidad could find a way to bridge the gap after SSFL and keep youths ages 18-25 playing competitive football and have a place for coaches to have a profession in the sport it will go along way to bridging the gap with the better football nations in concacaf like the US.

One of the reasons in the past that we have some good players come through was

Continuation of playing

Schols like John D and Sando tech was a play where you could continue to play football once you leave high school.

In the past man used to get a work because they could play football.

Example Latapy and Brian william and Philbert Jones used to work and play for Trintoc

The Army always had a good teams because it was your work, and it was football most of the day.

The reason the strike squad was so good is because it was a collection of these players from these types of teams.

Football in an environment where you could also have a work

A place where you could continue to play.

This type of thing dropped off because of the proleague but the problem with the proleague it is not enough teams to fill the gap.

We lose too many players because they cannot continue to play. They have to go and work

The Govt and TTFF should take an initiative to have a system where people can continue to play. It will not be fully professional like the proleague but having an organized league where people can continue to play after SSFL will go a long way to boast our football.

Pro League
Super League
Zone Leagues
Minor Leagues ( like eddie Hart)
Company leagues
etc

If effort is put to prganize these leagues with support for the football through Govt tax breaks etc.

It will go a long long way.   

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 23, 2008, 10:25:43 AM »
Dat is y UTT in d Super League so dey could develop and beat dey book. Leh we hope dey doin betta in d bock dept.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 23, 2008, 11:06:21 AM »
4300 seniors playing soccer.

times 3 = 12000 people playing soccer add NAIA and Junior college and you probably get to 20,000

20,000 people playing organized soccer with drive and purpose

20,000 people between the ages of 18-25 playing competitive ball.

compare that to how many people playing competitive football in Trinidad for example and you will see the benefit of college soccer to the US soccer foundation.

Not to mention coaches, assistant coaches 100% employed in soccer by the hundreds if not thousands.

To get top soccer coaches at national level it would not happen without a college system for them to work in.

Same thing for Players, Mls players constantly have to be on top of their game because there is a steady stream of players comming each year with dreams to make the squad.
Even if they do not make it, the competition forces improvement.

If Trinidad could find a way to bridge the gap after SSFL and keep youths ages 18-25 playing competitive football and have a place for coaches to have a profession in the sport it will go along way to bridging the gap with the better football nations in concacaf like the US.

One of the reasons in the past that we have some good players come through was

Continuation of playing

Schols like John D and Sando tech was a play where you could continue to play football once you leave high school.

In the past man used to get a work because they could play football.

Example Latapy and Brian william and Philbert Jones used to work and play for Trintoc

The Army always had a good teams because it was your work, and it was football most of the day.

The reason the strike squad was so good is because it was a collection of these players from these types of teams.

Football in an environment where you could also have a work

A place where you could continue to play.

This type of thing dropped off because of the proleague but the problem with the proleague it is not enough teams to fill the gap.

We lose too many players because they cannot continue to play. They have to go and work

The Govt and TTFF should take an initiative to have a system where people can continue to play. It will not be fully professional like the proleague but having an organized league where people can continue to play after SSFL will go a long way to boast our football.

Pro League
Super League
Zone Leagues
Minor Leagues ( like eddie Hart)
Company leagues
etc

If effort is put to prganize these leagues with support for the football through Govt tax breaks etc.

It will go a long long way.   

well said KND2!!  :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 23, 2008, 12:06:46 PM »
Allyuh cyah see the entire approach the Americans have toward everything they do is significantly different from the way we do things?  Why yuh think we consider their football boring? Look, I've had this conversation with my American College students from time to time. They don't know how to play for FUN. To them FUN is when you WIN. Therefore they will do whatever it takes to win. When we were growing up playing ball on the block etc, it was purely for the beauty, art, and fun of the game. We tried to win but if we lost we could still say we had a good time. (I know, I know that is still a blessing and a downfall at the same time) But there is little or no beauty to the US game because they don't value much except winning.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline ttfootfan

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
TT U20s Pro vs College ball?
« Reply #245 on: March 15, 2009, 04:39:17 PM »
First Congrats U20s on makin the World Cup. A big achievement!!

I read a story today with Vranes talking about guys should go pro instead of play US college ball. I think playing in the pro league will hamper a lot of these guys ability to get scholarships. I personally went the college route and think that is a bad statement. Now if paul, bateau etc. go to the world cup and blow it up and get a big money contract in Europe then they should run with it but jus cause they make the WC aint no guarantee they goin an get a contract. Common let's be real.

I look at the last time Jamaica make the U20 WC in 2001 http://www.fifa.com/tournaments/archive/tournament=104/edition=4295/teams/team=1889432.html , after they had made the U17 WC 2 years before like the warriors. Of that squad only 4 players went on to play "pro" ball. Keith Kelly, Omar Daley, Shavar Thomas and Khari Stephenson. Keith Kelly had signed with PSG before the WC like Gay so he don't really count and after a few years was a buss and playin for harbour view now. Now both Shavar and Khari went on to play in college in the US and get a degree before going pro. therefore got the best of both worlds. Shavar makin about $150,000 US in MLS and Khari bout the same in Norway. Therefore, only 1 player from the group of 18 get a pro contract straight and even Omar Daley has bounced around from some lower level English clubs and has spent time back in Jamaica so has not really made it big or big money.

The only other name I even recognize from the team is Wolry Wolfe who plays for Joe Public in TT so I aint countin dat as most of our guys could do dat now for small money, none of the other palyers even went on to play for Jamaica Sr. Team and who knows what they doin now.

You can do the same if you look at the TT teams that play in Youth WCs. Not many went on. Yorke had contract before, Nixon get one and Ince kinda bounce around. Jones made it big, Julius went college route before pro. so not a whole lot there either.

Therefore my point is should guys who have guaranteed scholarships jeopardise the $500,000TT+ in scholarship when there is no contract guaranteed.  And as stats show most won't even go on to have a career in football and play sr. ball. Even if 1 or 2 do "make it" what about all the others like Grovesnor, Clarence, Walker, Rockford, Bentick, Lougheed, De Silva, Adams etc what will be left for them. Does this also mean that guys like Knox, O'neil, Fullerton not going an have a chance if they don't leave there schools. Most will probably make more money with a University degree than what they get from football.

Also is not like College ball don't develop men for the pros and international ball, juss look how many of the 06 warriors went to the US first.

I hope the TTFF has taught this through and Vranes not only promisin men contract.. Any toughts?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: TT U20s Pro vs College ball?
« Reply #246 on: March 15, 2009, 04:49:17 PM »
Also is not like College ball don't develop men for the pros and international ball, juss look how many of the 06 warriors went to the US first.

Daz a interestin point.  Ah tryin to think who.

Shaka
Avery?
Sancho?
Stern

Off hand..cyah think of anybody else.  Who else?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #247 on: March 15, 2009, 04:51:26 PM »
Welcome to the site.

You raise some good points here.

I think Vranes was saying that  these guys in particular were good enough to make it and given that fact they should be exposed to a higher level level of football earlier so they would develop better as footballers.  I don't think he was advocating wholesale progression into the professional ranks.  

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 15, 2009, 04:56:06 PM »
Therefore my point is should guys who have guaranteed scholarships jeopardise the $500,000TT+ in scholarship when there is no contract guaranteed.  And as stats show most won't even go on to have a career in football and play sr. ball. Even if 1 or 2 do "make it" what about all the others like Grovesnor, Clarence, Walker, Rockford, Bentick, Lougheed, De Silva, Adams etc what will be left for them. Does this also mean that guys like Knox, O'neil, Fullerton not going an have a chance if they don't leave there schools. Most will probably make more money with a University degree than what they get from football.

I hope the TTFF has taught this through and Vranes not only promisin men contract.. Any toughts?

I agree with the sticking with the degree first scene...i like the idea of guaranteed scholarships and subsequenlty the free education for fellas....
and
with the way those fellas on I-95.5 were talking, maybe the coaching at the colleges would be better than the average in the pro league....what allya think?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 05:00:55 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 15, 2009, 05:10:12 PM »

I agree with the sticking with the degree first scene...i like the idea of guaranteed scholarships and subsequenlty the free education for fellas....
and
with the way those fellas on I-95.5 were talking, maybe the coaching at the colleges would be better than the average in the pro league....what allya think?

If you're good enuff to make it as a pro go for it. Two examples 1) Bibi Gardner was advised by simoes to forget school as he was good enuff to make it as a pro. He did! As the professor succinctly put it some- some are born for books others for the field of play. 2) A young man (cant remember his name right now) but I played with/against his father, Steve "darkhorse" Pierre, was advised by his mother to get his edu. Could have gotten a pro contract at 17 but eventually ended at the UCONN. Was not cut out for books but graduated. Lost four years of his football life, never recovered and in the end plays/played for Wasa clean and white. What a waste of football talent.

I agree with Vranes. Losing four or five yrs at the highest level is hard to recover, especially if you dont have a Frank Lampard IQ.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 05:11:50 PM by sub1 »

Offline ttfootfan

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 15, 2009, 05:25:04 PM »
Shaka
Avery
Sancho
Stern
Jack
Wise

All went to US on schol.

Yeah good point with gardner. He got a big contract with Bolton so that was an obvious decision. Don't know where Darren Lewis at 17 had a contract to though.. He actually took a couple years off before he went up to US and in them days man wasn't gettin contract so. maybe he would of make it but got drafted after college and didn't so he got a chance, but at least now he have a degree and a wok.

All I sayin is we shouldn't take man opportunity away just to "prepare" them for the World Cup in the Pro League when it is more likely more of them will get schols than contracts.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 15, 2009, 05:28:37 PM »
anyone have any idea what the averge career of a trinidad footballer has been so far
That is how many fellas tried football as a fulltime thing and how many actually made it and then how many years for good ones who lasted

I say go for the education while playing football and turn pro after
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 15, 2009, 05:31:59 PM »
Shaka
Avery
Sancho
Stern
Jack
Wise

All went to US on schol.

If dat is de case....den de odds in favour of goin Pro as opposed to school.  De oddah 16 chose a football career.  Maybe it have some in dey where a football career chose dem.

I agree with Vranes. IF..and that's a BIG IF..you have the raw tools at that age to POTENTIALLY make it as a professional player, then go for it.  You can never get back these years.  But you can ALWAYS go to school.  It might not be on a football scholarship...but education is ALWAYS available to those that want it.  Not so a professional football career.  Limited time frame for that.

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 15, 2009, 05:48:59 PM »
Go the University route till the WC. See what happens at the cup. Go on trials during the summer.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 15, 2009, 07:46:27 PM »
Watch meh stay with the U-20....it have plenty ah them "top" colleges where the coach don't have a clue on developing anyone. They recruit well and put the players on the field.

From what has transpired with this U-20 I would take the chance and stay with them. When playing in the Pro league don't accept any money, and it will keep your options open. At the same time see how long you could do A-levels if you still in school.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline ttfootfan

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 15, 2009, 08:00:05 PM »

If dat is de case....den de odds in favour of goin Pro as opposed to school.  De oddah 16 chose a football career.  Maybe it have some in dey where a football career chose dem.

I agree with Vranes. IF..and that's a BIG IF..you have the raw tools at that age to POTENTIALLY make it as a professional player, then go for it.  You can never get back these years.  But you can ALWAYS go to school.  It might not be on a football scholarship...but education is ALWAYS available to those that want it.  Not so a professional football career.  Limited time frame for that.

[/quote]

Palos if you look deeper into the 2006 wc numbers 6 went on schol, 2 were born and bred in england (birchy and cox) so they don't count, 6 were local pro league players, again not what I consider in a legit "pro league" that leaves 8 overseas pros that went from TT. Also in the past the better TT players never had the academics to go on schol so some of these guys may have developed the same way in the US. It would be interesting to see how many of these 8 got opportunities in their teens early tweenties and how many had to ply their trade for years in TT/minor leagues before they made it, therefore they could of got their education in that time.

Now again I am not saying Yorke, Jones, Latas even Carlos should have gone to college instead of take up pro contract. I'm not crazy. What I am saying is that the TTFF should not hamper players ability to get a scholarship and in turn a degree and an opportunity to develop possibly into a future pro like Shaka, Stern, Sealey, Julius, Marshall in the name of "preparation." If they want to prepare the team they should train and pay to schedule some good games at home and also take a couple trips abroad against internation and top club teams.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 15, 2009, 08:40:08 PM »
It is a tough choice but 4 me education will always b priority 1.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 15, 2009, 08:41:11 PM »
Guys,
          It is a fact that those guys who go to college do lose out. The coach is right if these guys want to do good and be a pro-baller, they should do it now. Otherwise go to college. Few who go to college will play pro ball, but they will have their college degree to fall back on. Look it is a catch-22 for kids and parents at this moment.  Some of our college players who played at the highest pro-level can be counted on our fingers. Shaka, Nakid, Stern. All the others either in 2nd div or 3rd div.  Up to now only one person has won almost everything in footbal as a pro. That is Dwight. He did not go to college. Latas is the other. He also did not go to college but did super.  So the U20  have to make a choice. Pro or college. Which ever they choose we should abide by their decision and give them our support.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 15, 2009, 08:49:55 PM »
so the value of the annual scholarship is not worth anything.
They play for 4 years in college and then if they are good enough they will get a contract

and in m opinion moving out of TnT is another type of education in itself
they will grow on the inside as a result of that move
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #259 on: March 16, 2009, 10:02:21 AM »
hmmm .... look at Yohance Marshall.  ;)
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 16, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
I would add where one goes pro ought to be an element in this discussion. Beyond that, anybody here ever been in a class with a pro player (or ex-pro) ...? Ppl tend to pursue their passions zealously regardless of their station in life, once they can. Going pro does not preclude gehhin ah different sort of education later (if dahis wha yuh want).

I am of the school of thought pushed by sub1 and others. Go pro! The priorities of collegiate soccer do not suit every player with potential to play on a higher stage. Elan, it's not solely b/c coaches are not equipped to develop those players\lack the knowledge ... part of the equation is the environment of college ball. Another facet is what is known as 'playing age' ... the opportunity cost of playing collegiate ball versus pursuing ball in a professional environment will hamper some players but work to the benefit of several others.

Players coming out of an academy environment who roll into the college ranks may only be doing so temporarily (dey eh staying fuh 4 years) to hone one or two aspects of their game ... for some it's a holding pattern in a specific environment.

Now for a lil more context. In US college ball, some VERY GOOD European players get recruited to play D-I and D-II ball (more generally D-I though) ... some of these players fly in from places like Iceland, Finland etc. ... nations not exactly heating up de scene ... several of these players may have tried to secure contracts abroad and failed ... some have actually played pro (despite the regs) ... our players opting for college should pursue college for what it is b/c dahis what de coaches expect to receive collegiate players dedicated to the program. Our HS players should decide based on realistic fit

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 16, 2009, 10:20:44 AM »
hmmm .... look at Yohance Marshall.  ;)

Look at Kevon Neaves.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #262 on: March 16, 2009, 10:44:36 AM »
I think what we need to consider before writing off either option is to make sure the individuals evaluate what their best option/ fit is.

Not every player on this team will go pro. If they had the unique talent that differs a pro and an amateur then we'd have a side of players that will one day compete for a senior world cup, and be on par with the Brasils, Argentinas, Italys, Frances of the world. We simply don't have that.

Going pro isn't the easiest thing to do, but as many pointed out here, there is only a small window of opportunity.

The players will have to weigh their options carefully, and hopefully with the guidance of parents and those who have the player's best interest at heart - they will make the right choices.

In the land of opportunity and big contracts in various professional sports - The US - look at how many youths set out down a path to play sports professionally and secure sporting scholarships, and end up car & insurance salesmen in the end - nothing wrong with those fields, but it is far from the dream of playing the sport you love and being able to make a living off it.

.... and for those who think going pro could be the greatest thing ... look at Scott Sealy: education (at Wake Forest?)  + MLS Pro Contract + And playing at a high level measured against his peers = crap salary. 

throw parties, not grenades.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 16, 2009, 10:52:31 AM »
I think it's worth it for these guys to sacrifice the years from 18 to 22 and concentrate on football. No offence to anybody, but you could always get a degree later on in life. School eh going anywhere.

However, these are these are crucial years in the development of a footballer and it is during those years that most coaches learn if a stand out youth player with real potential could actually make it as a pro. There are two main periods of development for football players :

13 to 15 - where your skills develop and you really learn what type of player you will become
18 to 21 - where you learn that talent and skills is not enough to make it, you have to learn how to apply your skills and learn more on the mental side of things.

These players have the chance to be on the world stage and be exposed. During this period of their life, they have to give their all to becoming a footballer. That means training twice a day, eating right, staying away from alco etc. Going to college will take away from that.

I not saying everybody should do that, but they have the opportunity to do it and go fully pro and they need to give it their all cause is not a chance that everyone gets in life. School will always be there even if you break your leg and your career gone through; you could go to school on crutches and get your degree then.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 16, 2009, 10:58:55 AM »
Depends on what you going to school for.

Yes anybody can get a scholarship and go to school in america but what is the point if you just going mainly to play football and just taking the easiest classes necessary just to get by. Yes in the end you might walk out with a 'Degree' in something but realistically are you trying to be a professional in what you degree is or are you just bidding time and trying too get "Discovered" by MLS or another league.

By the age of 20 you should know what you want to be in Life. As a Career and it should match your abilities.

If you want to be a footballer, Stay in Trinidad, Play in the Pro League and try to get on a national team with the chance to get a contract in foreign one day.

If you want to be an academic then take the scholarship go to school get your degree and get a work. Focus on the school work and football will be secondary, Does not mean you will not make an MLS draft but dont complain if Maturana not calling you back for World cup qualifiers.

College ball in the US is just that. Going to school and playing football within the school structure. School first football second. It is not the correct environment for a footballer to spend the 19-23 years of his life. If you are going to be a footballer those years are better spent in a professional environment training 2 times a day with 2 games a week for 10 months out of the year. not 15 games over 3 months out of the year training 1 time a day for 4 months.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 16, 2009, 10:59:49 AM »
I would add where one goes pro ought to be an element in this discussion. Beyond that, anybody here ever been in a class with a pro player (or ex-pro) ...? Ppl tend to pursue their passions zealously regardless of their station in life, once they can. Going pro does not preclude gehhin ah different sort of education later (if dahis wha yuh want).

I am of the school of thought pushed by sub1 and others. Go pro! The priorities of collegiate soccer do not suit every player with potential to play on a higher stage. Elan, it's not solely b/c coaches are not equipped to develop those players\lack the knowledge ... part of the equation is the environment of college ball. Another facet is what is known as 'playing age' ... the opportunity cost of playing collegiate ball versus pursuing ball in a professional environment will hamper some players but work to the benefit of several others.

Players coming out of an academy environment who roll into the college ranks may only be doing so temporarily (dey eh staying fuh 4 years) to hone one or two aspects of their game ... for some it's a holding pattern in a specific environment.

Now for a lil more context. In US college ball, some VERY GOOD European players get recruited to play D-I and D-II ball (more generally D-I though) ... some of these players fly in from places like Iceland, Finland etc. ... nations not exactly heating up de scene ... several of these players may have tried to secure contracts abroad and failed ... some have actually played pro (despite the regs) ... our players opting for college should pursue college for what it is b/c dahis what de coaches expect to receive collegiate players dedicated to the program. Our HS players should decide based on realistic fit

Agreed, there is alot to be evaluated in making this decision. I know of many Trinidad and Tobago players who could have gone on to give us great years of service on the National team and went to college and that was it. They maintained what they had but they "never really got better" as they were already more advanced than what the college experience could offer.

Go Pro if you are good enough.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The US College system and our players
« Reply #266 on: March 17, 2009, 01:13:50 AM »
There have been many great points raised so I wanted to put in my two cents. Having been around the college system as a player and then as a coach for the past 19 years. I would say that if a player from trini has plans of playing professionally in Europe then the college route will not a be a good one. However, if he is not of that caliber then it would not be a bad idea to have a university pay for his education in exchange for his football abilities. I will not sit here and say that its not impossible for a player to go through the college ranks and not be able to make it professionally. I just would not recommend it. I often think of what would have happened to Dwight had he gone to University of District of Columbia back in the mid 80's. There are several European players who come to the US to play once they are no longer being considered for professional contracts. There time in the academy system runs out before they make the first team and some of them then leave for the US as a last resort.

Lets look at a typical week in a college environment. It may be tweaked based on when your games are played. So I will use the example for Friday/Sunday games. Monday off day Tuesday fitness/film, Wednesday play revisit tactics from previous weekend Thursday preparation set pieces for future games. If its a travel day then this might be done the morning of the game on Friday. Saturday training film Sunday game.

So you all be the judge. How much player development truly occurs in this environment? I convinced that the college system can retard your growth/development. Something must be said about the disciplined environment that provides structure and the benefits to the technology/nutrition/ psychology programs that some of the elite programs exposed their players to. However, its still not enough to what these players maybe exposed to in a professional environment.

A lot of countries discourage their players from attending American universities especially on the women side because of their lack of faith in the college game as a medium for future player development. Some of them have even asked their players to return if they have any plans of staying involved in their national team programs.

I like the fact that this topic is being addressed but there is so much to considered. So I look forward to hearing more ideas on this topic.

I LOVE THIS GAME BETTER THAN I LOVE THIS GAME

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 17, 2009, 01:44:48 AM »
I think it's worth it for these guys to sacrifice the years from 18 to 22 and concentrate on football. No offence to anybody, but you could always get a degree later on in life. School eh going anywhere.

The question deals specifically with 'scholarships' though... school eh going nowhere, but school costs money.  With the average cost of a US education approaching $100,000 dollars, that's an awful lot of money to just cast aside and think it will be when the pro contract fails to pan out.  The cost of that education (unless one will satisfy oneself with a GATE or UTT education... nothing against those two) must be taken into account as well.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 17, 2009, 01:47:56 AM »
A lot of countries discourage their players from attending American universities especially on the women side because of their lack of faith in the college game as a medium for future player development.

You would think that the women would be the ones they try and push towards college even moreso than the men.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 17, 2009, 12:26:07 PM »
As far as women: it would seem to run against the grain (b/c the US is a haven for the women's game), but if the development or attainment gap among the countries is to be narrowed, the situation is better served by placing your players in a year-round professional environment.

Leh me stress year-round b/c in that context ah have several thoughts on Spring Training.

1]; } ?>