March 28, 2024, 05:21:07 PM

Author Topic: Foreign-based College Players Thread  (Read 96047 times)

Offline jaden

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Foreign-based College Players Thread
« on: June 27, 2005, 12:43:36 PM »
are we overlooking scott sealy?i think he had some decent appearances for the warriors.did something happen with those in authority?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 02:49:04 PM by Tallman »
mistakes are stepping stones to success

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: what about scott sealy
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 01:08:03 PM »
From what I have seen of him he not ready.
The college ball he played in the US stunted his growth and may find himself like rahim. Behind the curve.

Playing US college ball and then trying to make the professional jump isn't an easy prospect for most. There are exceptions but not many.

If you really serious about playing football as a career...the US college system is not the best option. You need a professional football environment playing against players who looking for the same goal a professional contract. Not where most looking to keep they scholarship.

Rahim, Daren Lewis and Sealy were all winners at the US College level
Even K Jones playing in the PFL was a better option.

He in a race against time.

Offline 5 piece

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 01:49:47 PM »
I totally agree with you. College soccer does not prepare you for professional football. As a player, you will never develop. The level is not a high standard at all. Whilst one is playing 4 yrs of college soccer at age 18-22, the other player from 18-22 is already in a professional setting. That player while always be ahead of the player who plays this nonsense college soccer.

I one wants to go to school/college, that's fine. But if wants to reach the professional ranks, then that US college league is not the way to go. Your standard of play will decrease..........

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 04:45:19 PM »
 Scott Sealy is ready in my opinoin for int'l football at the WCQ level. I agree to an extent that college ball in the US may not be the best option for fellas wanting to go pro, but on the other hand a lot of fellas that do do exceptionally well on the NCAA or NAIA circuit make a lot of contacts and network a lot during their time in the US. i.e they sell themselves to a wider market. It may be right to say that Yorke wouldnt be the star he is today if he played college ball but it is also about timing and opportunity. Though the time a player trains per week will be less for a college team than a pro team, highly ranked college teams are not weak teams compared to lets say PFL teams. Some can in fact beat PFL teams. U have to take into consideration that guys also want  a higher education whether for self satisfaction or for other reasons. Players also get injuires that hinder them from making it into the pro ranks, so having a bachelor's is just having a plan B in certain circumstances.

So i think that players wanting to go pro but coming on the NCAA cicuit is debatable as some have limited options.

** Scott Sealy could handle it, he just needs to be given a chance. The man has a nack for scoring.
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 05:27:03 PM »
I agree with Israel, Scott Sealy IS ready, he has scored 2 goalsin the MLS although being used sparingly by his club. The man is a PROVEN goal scorer pure and simple!

Also don't be too hard on US college level! While it's true that level is not as high as professional club ball, STERN JOHN came through the US college circuit and despite his current slump in form, he remains one of T&T's HIGHEST scoring forwards EVER!!! If Stern is one of the "exceptions" you referred to Trinimassive, who knows maybe Sealy will be too? :}

I too feel Sealy should have been given a chance to prove himself, but having said that I'm sure the technical staff will give him his chance. Besides he apparently has NOT been playing AT ALL for his club. Is he injured? Any US-based know?

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 05:50:47 PM »
Agree with U'all, Israel & Patriot...Nuff man who seek pro contract only, fall by the wayside, with no foot to stand on...and then what, who they get to practice against ? What kind of funds they work for ? Plus it is not cheap to do the tryout circuit on your own? Yuh just can't say, I want to play pro, and yuh get a tryout. And if they doh take yuh, ah next club doh just send for yuh, cause they hear yuh serious...it not easy so.

Offline Maradona7

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 07:12:31 PM »
College soccer can develop players for the national team. The US college players are over looked because they play college ball. A Trini allstar college team could beat any local pro team and give the national team a fight. Just because you guys never went College or played college ball before doesn't mean its not good. It's of a very high level. Scott Sealy deserves a look in as well as the other top college players out there.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 07:20:51 PM »
Besides he apparently has NOT been playing AT ALL for his club. Is he injured? Any US-based know?

He is not injured, he has been playing sporadically for the club. As a matter of fact, he played 83 minutes in de game on Sunday vs Chivas USA. De ting is, one match he would start, next match he on de bench or not even on de roster. If he eh get ah sweat on de first team he does get one wit de reserve team.

Ah tink de coach have ah preference fuh using Josh Wolff and Davy Arnaud up front. Since Wolff get pick tuh represent de US team in de Gold Cup, it have ah good chance dat Sealy might get and extended run in de first 11.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 08:15:36 PM »
I keep saying that we need to ind a way to retain our best intercol players. Terry Fenwick said in an interview during his first stint with Jabloteh that he though the American College system halted their players' development because the level of competition was not much higher than in High School. I've seen 1st division NCAA football and its a total waste of time. 

The same problem exists with basketball where there's currently a debate concerning the raising of the minimum age requirement from 18 to 19 effectively block high school players from moving directly into the NBA. Proponents of the change argue that it makes players more mature and make the league more viable. Those who oppose the change cite that over 80% of players coming out of high school end there careers above the mean average performance indicators such as point, rebounds steals etc. This occurs because the best players out of high school receive a baptism of fire and must adapt more quickly in their career than the college player. Sealy is a player with potential ,what worries me is that he goes the way of so may othe trinis who went through the college system. Brent Rahim is perhaps the best example of the problem, he has not improved in any significant way from since the time of him leaving college for the professional ranks. There was another trini on that Connecticut team with Rahim, He is so obscure that I don't even remember his name.

Again I call for the development of our domestic league. Clubs should sponser players' education on a part time basis given that the Availability of Schools is increasing and the price of the education is falling.This is the Practice of EPL clubs.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 08:55:58 PM »

I eh so sure if a man go to College, get a degree but didn't make it big in football to say he fall by the wayside.  For some of these guys football is a means to greater ends.

Yuh think Nahkid woulda be the man we know today if he didn't pass through College....same for Shaka.

Ideally the top footballers could go to a football academy that takes care of their football career adequately but also gives them some kind of education....something as simple as teach them another language so they can break into other leagues.

Some of these fellahs too bright to just play football alone....most of their lives will start after they hang up their boots.  Look Lincoln Phillips might make an even greater contrinbution to our football now years after playing for us and passing through the College Ranks.

Playing less than Div 1 not really going to give players a good shot at good competition though.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 02:54:17 AM »
It have nothing to do with College Ball, because if that was de case then de US team would have been shit..... Is how players approach de game, most players who finish school in de US should join some PFL team for a 6 months and then move on, just to get a taste of what it takes or a reality check.

Sealy, as from what I have seen so far is NOT ready !!!!

1. Either he needs more playing time.
2. Or he playing for a shit side who dont play his style or give him good service.

But I am not impress with him, I hope he proves me wrong, as I said, we have to many players one level, lets hope Sealy makes the best from the chance he get because he might be sold next season and thats if any team wants him, his team mate from Wake Forest who plays for NE Revolution is doing pretty decent, I saw him play saturday when they beat MetroStars 4-2 in a classic game.

What Sealy have to do is buy he own way and go down to Florida and train with de team if he get permission from he club.. ah sure Beenhakker would accept him to train atleast, I know it hard to do, but you have to make de scrafice, besides, he can learn alot from de camp and take it back to his club.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 04:11:36 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The US College system and our players
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 07:12:19 AM »
ncaa is not that bad cause more than half the US team play colelge ball some of their best ever play ncaa- keller, friedel, reyna,harkes, wynalda, max-moore their national team coaches from college. arena ,manny schelshiedt, sigi schmidt etc
they u-20 play ncaa and have a decent record at world youth level and dominate the region.
and also had some of our best nahkid and shaka, stern. no matter what avenue one takes it is a very slim chance of going pro like 1% of all palyers.
the ttff screw it up and never keep in touch or monitor our players who balling in ncaa. usa football take care of them promising players our federation let us down
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:09:26 AM by Tallman »

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 07:24:29 AM »
It have nothing to do with College Ball, because if that was de case then de US team would have been shit..... Is how players approach de game, most players who finish school in de US should join some PFL team for a 6 months and then move on, just to get a taste of what it takes or a reality check.

Sealy, as from what I have seen so far is NOT ready !!!!

I agree that from what I have seen (and I do watch MLS games especially if a Trini is playing) Sealy is not ready and IS in a race against time just as Rahim is and D. Lewis who all excelled at the US College level.

Patriot mentioned Stern and he is an exception, BUT Stern was not a rookie when he went to the MLS....he was playing ball in the A League if I am not wrong.

And as for the US team they don't even consider US College players. The team's core is all professional and the core....Fellas like Beasley, Donovan and even Eddie Johnson played in the National setup not the college. Eddie Johnson is only 20 but he way ahead of the fellas who went to College. That is why so many of the serious fellas even Ato wouldn't even consider the College System.

It stunts your growth no doubt about it. Stern if he had gotten an early start he woulda been better off in my opinion.

A college degree is not the issue dcs. Of course a college degree is a plus, but for someone who is eating, sleeping and breathing football while you in class for 4 years, logically speaking you would find yourself behind the curve. Is just common sense.

I do wish him well and hope he comes up to speed quickly but I'm glad for the PFL because at least it provides another avenue for development.

Though the time a player trains per week will be less for a college team than a pro team, highly ranked college teams are not weak teams compared to lets say PFL teams. Some can in fact beat PFL teams. U have to take into consideration that guys also want a higher education whether for self satisfaction or for other reasons. Players also get injuires that hinder them from making it into the pro ranks, so having a bachelor's is just having a plan B in certain circumstances.

Israel I would take you up on such a bet. I would love to see a college team play a PFL team. LOL you really underestimating the PFL. The teams in the PFL giving MLS teams a run for they money. NE Stars cut the National team ass. Steups.
And all this talk about degrees is not the issue. They could always get it after.

The US leaps and bounds better off with professionals than when they had college players in the team.

Facts is Facts. Is not that they not developing players...it that the players developing slower than they would if they were in a professional setting and it shows. I don't even see the logic of disputing that.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:09:37 AM by Tallman »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 07:34:14 AM »
While it can be argued College Ball is a decent standard,

The number of players who make it pro is a handful compared to those who do not go to college.

Maradonna7 you cyar just come here and assume men here never play ball or went college. Is only 200+ people here register and they have plenty more who does read and doe post.

Now besides Marlon, who career looking Shakey, Rahim who never had a career of mention, Nahkid who career done, Stern who career shakey, Sancho who looking for a Club and Shaka who looking for a club. Who else who play college ball make it?

Breds nothing is wrong with going to school and getting an education, it affords you the opportunity to do great things and it also gives you the opportunity to fall back on something when yuh football career done or ent pan out.

But look at the number of players who were Good, national youth and under 23 players who ent make it..The number is significantly higher. For the last 10 years every batch of secondary school teams have at least 5-6 men who play ball abroad and got nowhere. Men does go up there run hoes and football is just the thing that paying for they housing, books and tuition.

The College system is geared for US residents and if yuh aspiring to make the USA national team. They doe care about we.

They set it up good with international roster spots and if yuh ent good yuh gone.

Most pros join a club or academy from 9-10  yrs old in foreign leagues. They scrub people boots and iron jersey for first team players and are in a professional footaball environment for over 10 years before they make it to a senior team.

College ball stunts yuh growth in terms of football and those who make it from the college ranks are EXTREMELY lucky and are a drop in the bucket.

Also doe forget the politics of TT football and yuh have to get caps before you sign a contract in Europe.

When you think of it anybody who make it as a pro from TT accomplish something.

But College stunts your development.........look at the facts and figures. In fact if you could dig up see how much pro ballers have a degree, especially the Great Ones.

When you get graced with a talent College is not even a thought.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:09:48 AM by Tallman »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 07:43:27 AM »
look all i saying is real men play at least 3 yrs ncaa and went on to have successful pro careers be it europe via mls or straight to europe.  it certainly did not hurt them.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:10:06 AM by Tallman »

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 07:49:58 AM »
Now besides Marlon, who career looking Shakey, Rahim who never had a career of mention, Nahkid who career done, Stern who career shakey, Sancho who looking for a Club and Shaka who looking for a club. Who else who play college ball make it?

You cannot say anything bad about Shaka and Stern career.  These men have played in the EPL and are 2 of the most successful T&T pros ever based on quality of teams they have played for.  Who besides Yorke and Latas made it bigger than them?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:10:19 AM by Tallman »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005, 08:09:20 AM »
Arrow is one line in a whole post throw you orf so.

Nobody saying anything bad...........isnt Shaka looking for a club? The point of the post is not to judge ones achievements, but rather show that those who make it from the College circuit pales in comparison to those who do not attend.

The names you call after further reinforces my point. Thank you!

Don't forget the work in progress who playing for Rangers and who just win a league title.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:10:29 AM by Tallman »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 08:09:54 AM »
I agree that college ball may hinder the development of players but I believe the majority of the guys who choose that route are thinking of an education more than professional football.  A few who choose college, i.e. Avery, Rahim, still pursue a professional career because it is was their dream but they wanted to have a degree to fall back on.

In response to Trinimassive....
Yes they can always get a degree after but do you think they will be willing to spend about $60,000 in tuition at that stage in their life.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:10:40 AM by Tallman »

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2005, 08:14:27 AM »
In response to Touches....
Very good point regarding college ball is geared towards US residents.  So that might explain why so many of the US national players have college ball experience while our players who played in college don't have very successful pro careers.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:10:51 AM by Tallman »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
US College players who played pro ball
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2005, 08:46:58 AM »
Dis is by no means a comprehensive list, but it provides a background for the various arguments put forth on this topic.

PlayerUS College
Glenn BenjaminUniversity of Mobile
Richard ChinapooLong Island University
Craig DemminBelhaven College
Leslie FitzpatrickColumbia University
Richard GoddardRoberts Wesleyan College
Brian HaynesErskine College
Nigel HenryHoward University
Shaka HislopHoward University
Kevin JeffreyYavapai College/Virginia Commonwealth University
Kelvin JackYavapai College
Avery JohnYavapai College/American University
Stern JohnMercer County Community College
Darin LewisUniversity of Connecticut
Clint MarcelleSt. Francis College
David NakhidAmerican University
Garth PollonaisErskine College
Brent RahimUniversity of Connecticut
Marlon RojasSt. John's University/University of Tampa
Brent SanchoSt. John's University
Scott SealyWake Forest University
Mickey TrotmanUniversity of Mobile
Dimelon WestfieldClemson University
Evans WiseMercer University
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 04:58:38 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2005, 09:15:20 AM »
I agree that college ball may hinder the development of players but I believe the majority of the guys who choose that route are thinking of an education more than professional football.  A few who choose college, i.e. Avery, Rahim, still pursue a professional career because it is was their dream but they wanted to have a degree to fall back on.

In response to Trinimassive....
Yes they can always get a degree after but do you think they will be willing to spend about $60,000 in tuition at that stage in their life.

Wasn't sure if I should respond to this or not because I think it speaks for itself.
If you choose a professional career in anything you have to prepare for the future. So the conversation going off course. But just for the sake of it....

If a footballer is making $60,000 for 10 years which is very low but for argument sake. If he know which (they all know the career averages 10-15 years which is why the salary is so high) that he have 10 years and plan on college after or whatever. Saving 10% per year is $6000 over 10 years that is $60,000 forget interest.

What wrong with going to college after that. If he eh plan for the future in any situation that is asking for trouble.

As for the rest of the argument....Come on....

How could anyone argue that playing College ball is not a disadvantage (generally speaking) compared to the same fella playing in a professional environment. Only in T&T is that logic debatable.

Personally I would pick 4 years at Ajax over 4 years at Erskine College.

Take the list Tallman provide and put them at Aston Villa with Dwight and tell me Logically speaking it wouldn't be a better environment.

Dwight could have easily been in that list Tallman compiled.
I'm really surprised that this isn't as logical for some.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:11:04 AM by Tallman »

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2005, 09:22:03 AM »
Arrow is one line in a whole post throw you orf so.

Nobody saying anything bad...........isnt Shaka looking for a club? The point of the post is not to judge ones achievements, but rather show that those who make it from the College circuit pales in comparison to those who do not attend.

The names you call after further reinforces my point. Thank you!

Don't forget the work in progress who playing for Rangers and who just win a league title.

Doh try dat, you meant Shaka looking for a club in a negative way, otherwise there is no reason to mention it, we all know it already.  If I were to add Yorke who now playing for Sydney, into your sentence talking about shakey careers then that would be considered negative as well.
Anyways I just think its hard to make a definitive judgement either way about whether college hinders success or not because we really don't have that many successful pros to look at.  It depends how you define success but I was just pointing out the list you mentioned contained some of our most successful pros ever, regardless of whether they are looking for a club now or not.  To be fair perhaps you should also list out the fellas that didn't go to college that had more successful pro careers than those players on Tallman's list: Yorke, Latas, Dog, Nixon,...??
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:11:15 AM by Tallman »

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2005, 09:39:50 AM »
Question- if all yuh men have a son right now finish play for fatima or cic whatever. then yuh get 2 phone call. 1 from terry fenwick and another from UVA or UCLA
all yuh sending him to fenwick and the pfl?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:11:26 AM by Tallman »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2005, 09:56:28 AM »

I eh so sure if a man go to College, get a degree but didn't make it big in football to say he fall by the wayside.  For some of these guys football is a means to greater ends.

Yuh think Nahkid woulda be the man we know today if he didn't pass through College....same for Shaka.

By the wayside dcs, I meant, if they had only concentrate on the pro-soccer option. i.e. not attain a degree to fall back on.
In addition, Not everyone gets into academies, there is a very small percentage(no exact figures) who are accepted compared to those that are turned away.
I am definately a proponent of the College system, even if one does not attain a scholarship. Education first, dream after. Also, the game, and training is the next best thing to a semi-professional rank in my opinion. It is no fete match. They (the colleges) demand their full moneys worth from their scholarshipped athletes. It is also acts as a weeding out process for both the Pro teams, as well as I decision maker for the athlete/scholar.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:11:37 AM by Tallman »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2005, 10:13:49 AM »

:D...so why don't everybody again ? How much million manand some women  line up ahead of yuh?   
Of course development wise, any pro-team would be ideal. Ask our most prolific National goal scorer ever, if he could get just go and make any team from the top 5 leagues, B team. He might say yes. but obviously, them still waiting for him to call.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:11:47 AM by Tallman »

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2005, 10:24:29 AM »

:D...so why don't everybody again ? How much million manand some
Of course development wise, any pro-team would be ideal.

;D That was my whole point. Developmentally speaking.
Ah read in ah post where ah man went to see the team in training in FL & Beenie man was teaching something & de fellas wasn't gehin it ah tall..LOL

Ah convinced some ah allyuh fellas head Hard dread....Lawd.  :D  LOL
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:11:59 AM by Tallman »

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2005, 10:57:40 AM »
You all talking about Rahim and his race against time. Dont forget when he came out of college, he played for Levskia sophia, and was on the verge of making the West Ham team before Harry Redknap got fired. At that time he was also scoring regularly for the reserves. I think he fell off because of the injury that he sustained and then no regular team football with Falkirk not because of the american college system. And about the college system, Div 1 games are pretty competitive and those guys are extremely fit and they learn system and strategy, and do more board work and classroom work than most PFL teams.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:12:12 AM by Tallman »

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2005, 11:11:26 AM »
At the end of the day, it is the players choice to decide whether they going to school or trying to seek a contract.  How many top SSFL players are offered trials at big name clubs i.e. Ajax or even small name clubs?
Even if these guys get trials, how many of them actually get a contract.  Some of these players are offered contracts after representing TnT and completing school in the US or playing "small" football in the A league or wherever they could get a sweat.
I think most players dream of playing pro football, but after finishing school they are faced with the options of US scholarships, liming on the block, working at TSTT (no offence to anyone..just an example), playing PFL and hoping to make the national team and attract a scout.  So the US scholarship is probbably the most appealing choice.
Instead of criticising players for making the choice of US schools, we should think of better alternatives so they can develop and be successful in a professional sense.
As someone said if your son get a call from Fenwick and one from a US school, what would be your advice?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:12:23 AM by Tallman »

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2005, 11:34:13 AM »
exactly madness it ain't like men does leave gustine and malick and have the tough decision to play for either ajax,chelsea psv etc.  back in the day it was what trintoc army police or ncaa. and if academics not your forte yuh staying home, not atacking anyone different strokes for different folks.
nowadays is jabloteh connection or ncaa then maybe A league, mls and europe if yuh good enough.  Yorke was good enough excellent at that age so it was a no brainer for him.
of all them 10000000 youths cleaning boots in europe about  5% of them make it 1st team top div. level at the most.
at present in TT if fenwick or uva call me for my son-he going UVA    hopefully we provide a pro league in TT that would be a major power.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:12:34 AM by Tallman »

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2005, 11:01:29 AM »
Although I agree that players coming out of college ball will be behind players who in the professional setting in the 4 years i think we watching it in a the wrong way. The first problem is that we keep referring to them as players. People in college are not players, they are students who play whereas in the professional setting you are a player first whether or not education is provided on the side. With that said, as a former college player and a man who know other US players the main problem of the standard not being as high is the bane of all men: rum and women.
U in college, ppl, whether u love the game or not it have real partying going on and only the real committed ppl going to sacrifice their whole college experience to live the life of a pro footballer in watching everything u eat and drink and doing extra training and so on. Most of the people who attend college hope for a contract,yeah, but really putting most of their faith in their degree. With that in mind, u hadda be real dedicated to put everything else aside to concentrate primarily on a football career, which is what somebody already in the professional setup has the luxury of doing.
And not to mention...we is trinis, we love to party. Honestly, i think that if u really dedicated to becoming a pro and maiking it after college, u could come out as good as or better than a yute who playing pro league down here during those 4 years, but u hadda be dedicated enough to focus your energies on that goal, just as in everything else in life.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:12:47 AM by Tallman »
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

1]; } ?>