April 20, 2024, 06:10:58 AM

Author Topic: Why is warm up games important.  (Read 3622 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Why is warm up games important.
« on: June 07, 2009, 12:49:35 PM »
It gives you answers

When and who to sub, who should start, who is a defensive liability, who can play with whom, a goalkeeper weakness and his strength, when to turn it up, when to shoot, how to keep composure, be consistent and keep possesion, who can run for 90 mins and who cant, who should take corners and free kicks, how to protect a lead and how to be mentally ready under pressure.

How can we find answers if we do not do our homework. We learn this in school. We study for exams, we do mock exams to find our weakness and to see how we can improve and what level we are. Practice makes perfect.

Why use important games to test players, find a formation and work on match fitness. You can run around the field 20 times and it still doesn't mean you are fit. You can practice what you want in training but in an actual match the situation is totally different.

Its about winning, yes we played better than we did previously but we still didn't win and at the end of the day, points make prizes. Do you think Costa Rica will be on the flight back home reminiscing on how they played and who played better, they only thinking of one thing, 3 points in the bag. They probably saying one thing maybe. "Thank you Latapy for taking out your number 10, he was giving us real pressure on the right side and when you took him off our job became easier".

Latapy is here already and have my support, but I hope is inexperience and tick head decisions don't cost us. Sometimes, you have to kiss ass to kick ass and he must take advice sometimes especially from the older heads if he wants to improve. Every country in the world prepare with matches, they don't go blinded into a game hoping for a miracle to happen.

Beating or tying Mexico in Mexico is not impossible, but it will take alot more from a coach to accomplish that. This is where Latapy will really be tested.

I also find our home support is poor and as a team we don't defend our home turf like we should, visiting teams win too comfortable in our own backyard. Our crowd only makes noise when something exciting happens.

I hope Stuart Charles send Latapy a tape with the W Connection vs Toluca game when W Connection was winning 2-0 in Mexico and as soon as the clock hit the 70 minute mark they ran out of gas and ended up loosing the game 3-2.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 04:26:25 PM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Why is warm up games important.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 12:58:24 PM »
Warm up games not important, Latapy say so. Plus, look how good we perform.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 03:54:02 PM »
Anybody miss Keon Daniel yesterday ....  :devil:

I saw Kelvin Jack taking on the game. Wonder what is his thoughts.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 04:04:23 PM »

:devil: :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline jimmel14

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »

ye we kinda miss him for some of the Set Pieces we had.

Offline swood

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 05:49:42 PM »
 :applause: Well said Sam....I love Latas to death just like the rest of T&T...and still support him 100%...but I still find it difficult to understand the perspective of some that this game "wasn't bad" or that "we look better"...all I see is 3 lost points from a home game.

That being said....based upon Mexico's current form...if there is any time to get an unlikely victory in the Azteca...its now...we just need to weather the "opening minutes" storm that Mexico will undoubtedly bring...

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 06:24:06 PM »

....based upon Mexico's current form...if there is any time to get an unlikely victory in the Azteca...its now...we just need to weather the "opening minutes" storm that Mexico will undoubtedly bring...

Yep!

Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 07:00:21 PM »

....based upon Mexico's current form...if there is any time to get an unlikely victory in the Azteca...its now...we just need to weather the "opening minutes" storm that Mexico will undoubtedly bring...

Yep!

nope..the storm will last 90 minutes and we will need a miracle. nothing is impossible, but let's put things in perspective. no matter how well we play, we will have to catch some breaks.

go T&T!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 07:00:56 PM »

With a decent warm up game or two we may have performed even better, especially defensively.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 07:14:12 PM »
Filho, point well taken.
Dis forum is sumting else.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 10:06:17 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
:applause: Well said Sam....I love Latas to death just like the rest of T&T...and still support him 100%...but I still find it difficult to understand the perspective of some that this game "wasn't bad" or that "we look better"...all I see is 3 lost points from a home game.

That being said....based upon Mexico's current form...if there is any time to get an unlikely victory in the Azteca...its now...we just need to weather the "opening minutes" storm that Mexico will undoubtedly bring...

After viewing el cobeau brando 4 over 1 yr u can see some progress. As 4 d Azteca is now is d time
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

truetrini

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 11:11:53 PM »

Why you doh find a team to coach other than some little girl team in NY?

On a side note...All day I think about you....I was in de Emperor Valley Zoo.  How did you get to come and post here?  Like somebody leave yuh cage open?

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 11:43:16 PM »

yeah he was tinking..."ah wish ah could ah save as good as Ince jed"

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 07:22:08 AM »
Bring back Maturana.

:devil:

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 07:26:30 AM »
Thank you Sam
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 07:27:21 AM »
We did play a warm up game....against Costa Rica on Sat.  Everyone knows we could never beat the Ticos, the real match is against Mexico on Wed

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 07:27:42 AM »
We did play a warm up game....against Costa Rica on Sat.  Everyone knows we could never beat the Ticos, the real match is against Mexico on Wed
;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 10:21:20 AM »
Warm up matches were the only way for the coach to assess weaknesses and strengths? Was there somebody new, completely unknown to the coaching staff or team? Were the players inactive for some period of time and needed to get match sharp?

I'm not saying that warm up matches aren't an effective part of a team's preparation, but it is not the only tool available for a coach. The coach is in the best position to determine what the team needs based on his training plan. Latas didn't think he needed it and based on what I saw of the match I'll say he seems to know what the team needs.

The end result was disappointing, but would a warm up match have taught veterans like Lawrence and Andrews to man-mark in their box rather than ball watch? Would it have taught Trent Noel or Jason Scotland how to kick on target? If they can't do that by now in their careers one or two warm-up matches not going to help them do it.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 10:45:19 AM »
The funny thing with warm up matches in our situation is that the fellas who play in the warm ups doh even make the bench when the foreign base come back for their automatic pick.

All the coaches over the years does talk the talk about everybody have to earn their pick, yet still is always the foreign based players will play, even after showing up for only two or three sessions before kick-off in the big game.  One wonders whether they so good and the locals so bad or is just the mindset that when yuh playing on the outside irrespective of the league/division...yuh go be better than the local player.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 11:19:40 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Lawd fadder Arrow....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 11:27:47 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Lawd fadder Arrow....

Well if that is the logic, then we have a next one on Wednesday...cause everyone knows that nobody really beats Mexico in the azteca either.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 12:17:53 PM »

Sando daiz ah big big point you bring up dey yuh know.   :-\
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 12:20:32 PM »

Why you doh find a team to coach other than some little girl team in NY?

On a side note...All day I think about you....I was in de Emperor Valley Zoo.  How did you get to come and post here?  Like somebody leave yuh cage open?

Mind meh bussiness good nah, NY? I living NY?  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:  Look you cyah even be ah panty man good. Ask Berris he will tell you where I am.

Long time me eh hear that one, since about infants.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 12:21:16 PM »

Alyuh wicked yuh know.  ;D

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 08:56:58 PM »
2 months to get your act together Latas, ALL the other teams in the HEX have the Gold Cup games coming up. USA also have de federation cup. Who we playing ?

De foreigners available !!!
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 09:05:47 PM »
Sam,
          This time you could be coach!

1]; } ?>