April 27, 2024, 07:57:55 AM

Author Topic: ICC World Twenty20: June 8th matches  (Read 2570 times)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
ICC World Twenty20: June 8th matches
« on: June 08, 2009, 09:32:31 AM »
Rather than start a thread for each match today and since Windies aren't playing I'm amalgamating.

Ireland vs. Bangladesh is already done. Bangladesh lost the toss and were sent in to bat. They made 137/8 in their 20 overs. Ireland in reply scored 138/4 in 18.2 overs. Bulletin here. The result knocks Bangladesh out of the tournament.

Australia vs. Sri Lanka is next. Did anyone see the England vs. Pakistan match? I got the impression that Pakistan deliberately didn't try hard in that match. I hope Holland beats them to knock them out. They'd deserve it.

Points table

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ICC World Twenty20: June 8th matches
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 09:36:42 AM »
well thanks dwolfman- you knocked my post over... ;D that's okay
yes I saw the match england vs pakistan ...I didn't get that impression tho'
I think that England just decided that they weren't going to be humiliated again..
notice that whenever their press lambaste them they pick up the next game- now they are saying they are so great- watch the next game...that will be harder for them to win ;D
yay! Ireland- ;D that was a real good game- sorry for Bangladesh...

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 10:29:43 AM »
With the ball, Pakistan was all fire and drive, but the batting was a mystery. It's almost like they set up for a 50 overs match instead of a 20/20. But who knows the motivations of teams? The West Indies certainly didn't look like they wanted to be in the last series vs England.

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 11:37:04 AM »
Looks like Australia is going down in flames.

94/6 15.0 ov

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 12:12:56 PM »
End up at 159/9

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 12:23:59 PM »
on the face of it 159 isn't a great total, but if Aussies bowling come good they can defend it...
let's see
Lankans are 19/1 ...game on ;D

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 12:40:15 PM »
Well, I think it's not enough for Australia to just win, they have to win with a high enough net run rate. B/C all they can do after this one is wait to see if the Windies or SL falls hard enough to let them in somehow. 

Right now it seems that SL is going to erase any doubt though. 53/1 after 5 overs.

The RR is 10.3

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 12:41:26 PM »
so tell me what does the net run rate have to do with the super 8s?? I heard the announcers talking about that too, but I didn't hear the explanation.. ???

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 12:54:21 PM »
It's the 2nd tiebreaker

From the rulebook (or as they call it "Playing Conditions"
http://cricket.yahoo.com/icc/playing-conditions/21/playing-conditions

21.9.1 Group Stage

In the event of teams finishing on equal points in its Group, the right to play in the Super Eight Series will be decided in the following order of priority:

• The team with the more wins in the Group stage will be placed in the higher position.
  • If there are teams with equal points and equal wins in the Group stage then in such case the team with the higher net run rate in the Group stage will be placed in the higher position (refer to clause 21.9.5 below for the calculation of net run rate).
  • If following the net run rate calculation above there are teams which are still equal, then the team with the higher number of wickets taken per balls bowled in the Group stage in which results were achieved will be placed in the higher position.
  • If still equal, the team which was the winner of the head to head match played between them will be placed in the higher position.
  • In the highly unlikely event that teams cannot be separated by the above this will be done by drawing lots.
  • If all three matches within a Group are a no result, the top two seeded teams will progress to the Super Eight series.

Question: Why does the ICC have a Yahoo website and not icccricket.com? Money probably.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:56:19 PM by Bitter »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 12:57:14 PM »
Sri Lanka like they glad the war done:

Watson to Dilshan, FOUR, that is disgraceful and brilliant! An amazing shot to bring up his fifty. He ducked beneath a good-length ball, flicking his bat up vertically to lift it over the keeper. You've seen batsman to these paddly uppercuts, but that was simply outrageous!

wtf?

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 01:08:31 PM »
 :rotfl:
it's 20/20 anything goes... ;D

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 01:12:29 PM »
Australia beginning to claw back
98/3 Since Dilshan out the run rate has dropped to 7.6

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 01:44:14 PM »
Claw back ent wuk, they dead.

Johnson to Mubarak, 1 wide, and Australia are out of the ICC World Twenty20 with a wide down the leg side

Australia 159/9 (20/20 ov)
Sri Lanka 160/4 (19.0/20 ov)

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 01:51:03 PM »
oh geed!! australia out!
what a good win by the lankans  :applause:
now it's wi vs sl
 ;D

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 03:53:06 PM »
Dey wicked boy!  :D

Australia's Ashes preparations took a severe jolt tonight when they crashed out of the World Twenty20 at the qualifying stages. They must now survive the psychological perils of a fortnight's inactivity before their preparations for the first Test begin against Sussex at Hove, a time when doubts may well surface and boredom take hold. There will be a national outcry if the England and Wales Cricket Board loans them as much as a Scrabble board.

Australia's six-wicket defeat against Sri Lanka, with an over to spare, to follow a heavy defeat against West Indies, ended their ambitions of holding all three one-day trophies simultaneously and ensured that the gloomiest fears of their captain, Ricky Ponting, have been realised.

"We'll have two weeks in Leicester if we have an early exit,'' he had said gloomily before the match that could break Australian spirits. It might not be quite as demoralising as that – they have hurriedly arranged a weekend break in London followed by a spell in Canterbury – but as yet there are no signs that the ECB is offering additional fixtures.

Tomorrow, to their dismay, Australia's most pressing task is to uncover the attractions of Leicester. They might like to stroll together in Abbey Park, which houses the remains of the 12th-century Leicester Abbey. The park still resonates of the Victorian era with its formal gardens and bandstand – just the job for a couple of uplifting choruses of Under The Southern Cross, a song they normally only sing in victory.

Alternatively, they might like to visit the Great Central Railway, the only double-track mainline steam railway where train rides are available daily from May to September. Special attractions include Thomas The Tank Engine days – tempting for any depressed Australian cricketer with a need to retreat into the innocence of childhood.

But if they really need to get away from it all, perhaps only the National Space Centre will suffice, a visitor attraction officially described as "out of this world". That might seem the most tempting of all.

Australia's Twenty20 plans were undermined by the sending home for disciplinary reasons of Andrew Symonds, who broke his promise to curb his drinking habits even before their first match. Six years ago Ponting succeeded in refocusing the Australian team after Shane Warne failed a drug test and was banned from the World Cup, but this time there was to be no recovery.

This was Sri Lanka's first official match since they survived an attack on their team coach by Islamic extremists during a Test against Pakistan in Lahore, and also since the Sri Lankan government announced victory in the 26-year war against Tamil Tiger terrorists.

A small group of Tamils demonstrated outside the ground, but inside Trent Bridge Sri Lanka were cheered to the rafters as half-centuries from Tillekeratne Dilshan and their captain, Kumar Sangakkara, brought Australia's involvement in World Twenty20 to an end.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 04:11:41 PM »
I never mourn when Australia loses, but it wouldn't have been so bad to see them win and make for an interesting last match against the Windies.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »
boo hoo!!!! I am crying for the Aussies. They lost fair and square!!!!!

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 07:29:37 PM »
Steups, to hell wid dem, I for one happy dey get ousted and a resoundin cutarse from we
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 09:26:40 PM »
I now watching these highlights here.
Malinga stoning like a mutha...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHfscYbq_E0

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 09:55:38 PM »
boo hoo!!!! I am crying for the Aussies. They lost fair and square!!!!!

COSIGN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 08:54:38 AM »
I now watching these highlights here.
Malinga stoning like a mutha...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHfscYbq_E0

Me and ah bredren was watching that. When he bowling mid-eighties it seems okay, but his effort deliveries looking suspect.

1]; } ?>