March 28, 2024, 05:56:06 AM

Author Topic: What now for AC Milan?  (Read 4038 times)

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What now for AC Milan?
« on: June 08, 2009, 06:53:28 PM »
Replacing Kaka and Maldini eh go be easy but their current roster is still loaded.

http://www.acmilan.com/lm_team_roster.aspx

Can you imagine a Hiddink, a Mourinho or even Ferguson running a team like this? Dey underachieved this year even with Kaka there. Carlo Ancelotti should be ashamed. Dat is why dey showed him de door.

On a separate note, did you know the club started off as a Cricket and Football Club in 1899?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:42:45 AM by Savannah boy »

Offline Small Change

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What now for AC Milan?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 07:28:29 PM »
Nah man. Ancelotti still win de Champions League in 2007 and the Scudetto in 2007. He still achieve success.......just not this past season. With Ronaldino and Kaka, along with Beckam, they should have done better in truth, but he hardly started Ronaldino, who had a poor season by his standards...........

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 07:34:08 PM »
How about having some balls and promote the youths they have been suffocating for so many years, in favor of these waning veterans?  Italian teams need to learn to promote the youth, and stop leaving them to dry.  When last has one of the big Italian clubs unleashed a 17-18 year old sensation from within their youth academy?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:28:31 PM by Tenorsaw »

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 07:40:13 PM »
sad day for one of my favourite sides since childhood.

Berlusconi and Galliani defintely sold their souls today by selling a man who gave his all for the Rossoneri - and delivered a CL Trophy while he was there.

Don't know the true dynamic of the dressing room, but Pato seems to be the type who would prosper under the tutelage of Kaka over Ronaldinho. Left to see if he will stay or if he will go - but at least Ronaldinho will have more opportunity to resurrect his career - just hope that he gets fit, and stays injury free.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 07:23:06 AM »
Replacing Kaka and Maldini eh go be easy but their current roster is still loaded.

Can you imagine a Hiddink, a Mourinho or even Ferguson running a team like this? Dey underachieved this year even with Kaka there. Carlo Ancelotti should be ashamed. Dat is why dey showed him de door.

On a separate note, did you know the club started off as a Cricket and Football Club in 1899?

Well lets be fair to Ancelotti he did have a remarkable run of form to close a 14 point gap at one point. His club finished level on points with Juv. and missed finishing second by goal difference. You have to remember Kaka missed a chunk of the season injured and so did Pirlo & Gattuso.
But Milan are Milan and they suffer from Silvio Berlusconi  needing his wealth to politic so the club is now run as a tight business. Their GM Galliani (spelling), has made some poor buys (without Ancelotti havng much say), like Svenchenko & Ronaldinho purely to generate dollars.

They will bounce back now with the sale of Kaka they have the funds and if used wisely they can afford a new squad.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 07:25:55 AM »
It was a good piece of business...the man is 27.

They have paper to spend and will get adequate cover, it is not doom and gloom.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 07:26:42 AM »
How about having some balls and promote the youths they have been suffocating for so many years, in favor of these waning veterans?  Italian teams need to learn to promote the youth, and stop leaving them to dry.  When last has one of the big Italian clubs unleashed a 17-18 year old sensation from within their youth academy?

Balotelli and Santon at Inter

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 07:37:03 AM »

Actually, Ancelotti won 2 Champions League titles with Milan. When he came to Milan in 2001, they hadn't won anything for 3 years. He left with 8 trophies in 8 years. To put it in perspective, he got to 3 Champion's League finals in 7 years. Sir Alex Furguson needed 23 years to do the same. Nothing to be ashamed of at all. Ancelotti did great for a manager who had to deal with an absolute nightmare of a club president. He was probably happy to be shown the door. Absolute success at Milan.

Wouldn't worry about Kaka leaving. Milan was a big club before Kaka, they will be a big club long after Kaka.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 08:35:51 AM »

That is it?  Proves my point.  I knew those two names were going to come up, but compared to the Dutch, English, Spanish, and Portuguese, the Italians are too conservative when it comes to unleashing the youth.  Just my take.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 09:07:17 AM »
16 and 17 yr olds is pushin it ah bit.only in d extraordinary case you will see that happening in all leagues..trus me there is a plethora of yutes say 18-21 rite tru d 20 teams in serie a and a good bit get blooded in serie b after graduatin from d primavera..d yutes does geh dey run wen dey ready..

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 09:16:55 AM »

That is it?  Proves my point.  I knew those two names were going to come up, but compared to the Dutch, English, Spanish, and Portuguese, the Italians are too conservative when it comes to unleashing the youth.  Just my take.

Might just be that the youth talent at alot of the Italian clubs isn't "sensational"... Also I suppose every program has a different approach to integrating youth with the seniors...and alot of it comes down to the present factors and necessity-  It would appear Dutch & Portuguese clubs position themselves as feeder clubs to the bigger clubs in Europe- they don't have the bank that the Italians, Spaniards & English have...so by necessity they are more focused on developing youth talent.....Just a thought- not even considering whether or not your take on the situation is even accurate- but if it is, that could be one way to look at it....

With the Italian Nat'l team being current World Champs I'd be hesitant to knock what they're doing from a development perspective.  I'm sure if you do your research you'll unearth quite a few young Italian players who've broken into their senior club team rosters...

End of the day too, the Fabregas', Messis, C. Ronaldo, Bojan's & Patos of the world are very rare....so to have a club like Inter unleash two from their youth program into their senior roster is actually very good...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 09:41:44 AM »

Well..to be honest, that was just at the top of my head. In any case, you can't call the Dutch and Portuguese in there. Those are admitted feeder leagues whose model is to push through youth so they can be sold to bigger clubs to fund operations. You asked about big clubs..and lately no big clubs in England or Spain (besides Barca) has 'unleashed' any teenage sensations from their own youth academy. I can't think of many at ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool in recent years. The vast majority of the top youngsters in the EPL big teams who can be considered teenage sensations were actually bought from feeder leagues or smaller clubs and were not actually developed by the youth academy of th big clubs. When you actually answer your own question, you will see the top teams in Serie A teams are not very different from the top teams in comparable leagues (ie La Liga and the EPL)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 09:46:07 AM »
Pretty sure if Milan allows this to happen it is because they are really in dep financial trouble:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=653611&sec=transfers&cc=5901

AC Milan forward Alexandre Pato plans to hold talks with former boss and new Chelsea coach Carlo Ancelotti before deciding if he will quit the San Siro and move to Stamford Bridge.

Pato: Star to leave Milan?

The 19-year-old Brazil international was taken to Serie A by Ancelotti in 2007 and the Italian coach is eager to continue his protégé's education in the Premier League.

"At the end of June, after the Confederations Cup in South Africa, I will meet with the Rossoneri executives and speak about my future," Pato told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "But before that happens, I will speak to Ancelotti.

"He is an extraordinary man. It's thanks to Ancelotti that I have been able to emerge at AC Milan and in Italian football. Before I decide my future, I want to talk to him."

Pato added: "It's an honour to be liked by a club like Chelsea"

The former Internacional star, who scored 15 Serie A goals for the Rossoneri last season, is under contract at Milan until 2012 but may be persuaded to quit the club after seeing compatriot and team-mate Kaka leave to join Real Madrid on Monday.

Media reports have linked Milan with the quick purchase of Wolfsburg striker Edin Dzeko to try to quell the unrest caused by the Kaka sale. Dzeko is also being tracked by Arsenal.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 09:50:37 AM »

Counting on home-grown talent isn't a reliable means to satisfy the ambitions of a really big club.   The probability of having one of the world's best grow up in your backyard is pretty small.

Is one thing to be competitive in a mediocre league or to be mediocre in one of the elite leagues but in general if you want to be an elite team in one of the top leagues (and a Champions League contender) you have to import most of your talent.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 09:51:59 AM »
The average age of Italian teams is higher than the rest of Europe, because play in Serie A is slower and more methodical.

that is why AC Milan can consistently depend on old warhorse like Maldini, Inzaghi, Seedorf, why Juve can rely on Del Piero and Nedved and why men like Zanetti, Vieira, Figo and Crespo at Inter can still have prolonged careers..

I agree with Tenorsaw, it seems that clubs in other European leagues much more willing to pin their hopes on a youth man than they do in Italy.

Case in point, I find a man like Giovinco supposed to be a sure pick at Juventus all now.
Its why Beckham found a new leash on life.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 10:13:02 AM »
The average age of Italian teams is higher than the rest of Europe, because play in Serie A is slower and more methodical.

that is why AC Milan can consistently depend on old warhorse like Maldini, Inzaghi, Seedorf, why Juve can rely on Del Piero and Nedved and why men like Zanetti, Vieira, Figo and Crespo at Inter can still have prolonged careers..

I agree with Tenorsaw, it seems that clubs in other European leagues much more willing to pin their hopes on a youth man than they do in Italy.

Case in point, I find a man like Giovinco supposed to be a sure pick at Juventus all now.
Its why Beckham found a new leash on life.

Good point- I agree that the style of Italian football caters more to players who can compensate for their lack of mobility with added guile and experience, but the names you call there are the exceptions- those are way above average gifted players who because of their ability and legendary status could and would more than likely feature significantly at any big club even at a ripe age....Nedvded & Del Piero are legends at Juve- they'd need to be walking sticks before they fade into the twilight-Same can be said with Inzaghi & Maldini at Milan & Zanetti at Inter.....it's like Raul at Madrid- He will be on their roster until he's blind....Same with Scholes & Giggs at Man U.  Part of it might be Italian football- but a major part of it is just the exceptional level of those guys' ability and the size of their character

Seedorf to me had a late resurgence in his career and actually got better with age...Figo, Crespo & Viera were all peripheral players this season- I'd hardly say that Inter pinned their hopes on them. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 10:17:30 AM »

well for starters they are not allowed to play in Italy until they have turned 18. thats the league rules in that country. for example, the Italian striker, Macheda, who hot up at the end of the season for manu...he is 17. Lazio making mad fuss cause he was one of their rising academy players and he felt that it was time for him to play...so manu bought him and played him cause england does not have those same rules as italy. jus like pato for milan, after the youth world cup ac milan had him under contract but couldnt play him cause he wasnt 18 yet. the day he turned 18 he was on a plane to milan and played in the following week's fixture. :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 10:32:40 AM »
Regardless of how you view Italian clubs they are not a reflection of Italian football at an International level.
After all they are World Champions. That being said, many Italian clubs promote youth, they just do it at a little later age.

But Filho is right when last any of the big clubs in the Premier played their youth. With the exception of Arsenal who use many Like Gibbs, Wilshire, Hoyte etc. in the Carling Cup.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 10:42:34 AM »
Point I'm making here fellas is not whether the Italian teams have talent.  It's about their conservative habit of being a bit too cautious in unleashing the youth.  The talent is there, but there seems to be that more of a hesistance to unleash them.  That seems to be the Italian way.  You have to really pay your dues.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 10:59:32 AM »
Point I'm making here fellas is not whether the Italian teams have talent.  It's about their conservative habit of being a bit too cautious in unleashing the youth.  The talent is there, but there seems to be that more of a hesistance to unleash them.  That seems to be the Italian way.  You have to really pay your dues.

You might be very right. I think there were some good points made by Omar, in that the league is slower and more tactical, so the older players can have longer careers and their experience and tactical superiority can trump youth. fordy made a good point about the age limit as well. not just in Italy, but English clubs poach Spanish players as well...because they can sign them at an earlier age. That's how ManU wound up with Macheda and Pique and how Fabregas ended up at Arsenal..all apparently against their clubs wishes..but they were powerless to stop it.

I was simply answering your question about top teams playing top teenagers that come from their youth programs. And the truth is, among the elite teams, it barely happens. Even youth prodigies like Rooney and C Ronaldo were not from the ManU system. Wellbeck is the closest thing they have to what you describing right now, and I'm not sure you can say they 'unleashing' him. I understnd your general point though, but I feel you'd still have to look outside the elite teams to notice any real difference.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 11:55:41 AM »
AC Milan needs to rejuvenate its defense very urgently.  The other pieces are mostly in place. 

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 12:25:29 PM »
soccernet eh easy

dem done photoshop the man in a Real kit

Més que un club.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 05:54:27 PM »
It's quite possible that Milan will recall Gourcuff from his loan in France (at Bordeaux) to replace Kaka.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Teflon Don

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 06:09:57 PM »
It's quite possible that Milan will recall Gourcuff from his loan in France (at Bordeaux) to replace Kaka.
He signed a four yr deal with bordeaux a couple weeks ago

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 06:12:36 PM »
Don't worry about Milan. They will find some young brazilians and argentinians in the next couple of months.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 03:03:44 AM »

You're right. I hadn't seen that.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=650557&cc=5739

Dumb move by Milan to sell him and then sell Kaka a few weeks later. If you saw the kind of season that Gourcuff had in France it's clear that he has grown and could be one of the best candidates to step into Kaka's role. I think they could very well be regretting that soon.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 06:05:35 AM »

Dumb move by Milan to sell him and then sell Kaka a few weeks later. If you saw the kind of season that Gourcuff had in France it's clear that he has grown and could be one of the best candidates to step into Kaka's role. I think they could very well be regretting that soon.

Especially after the season he just had in France. He is maturing into a nice playmaker who scores goals as well. Milan rudderless their VP is out of touch.
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 06:09:07 AM »

Especially after the season he just had in France. He is maturing into a nice playmaker who scores goals as well. Milan rudderless their VP is out of touch.

Well unless dey relying on R80 to have a phenomenal season..which could very well happen. He not in the Confed Cup squad...so he could work on his fitness. Especially since next year is a World Cup year....he need to really convince Dunga of what he can still do to have a chance. I dunno if that's the rationale...buh....dahs de only reason i could see behind letting Gourcuff and Kaka go so close to each other.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 06:37:35 AM »

Well unless dey relying on R80 to have a phenomenal season..which could very well happen. He not in the Confed Cup squad...so he could work on his fitness. Especially since next year is a World Cup year....he need to really convince Dunga of what he can still do to have a chance. I dunno if that's the rationale...buh....dahs de only reason i could see behind letting Gourcuff and Kaka go so close to each other.

R80 is a good call. Milan will have to send him to Betty Ford clinic first and then start from there. Everyone knows what he can do, but right now he off the rails and need putting right. The dream of a last WC and becoming the main playmaker for Milan could be just the ticket.
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 10:18:48 AM »
Maldini Speaks

Maldini: Milan can't win Champs League without KakaAssociated Press

Former AC Milan captain Paolo Maldini said Wednesday the club has no chance of winning the Champions League next season after selling Kaka to Real Madrid.

The Brazilian confirmed his move to Madrid for a reported €65 million ($92 million) on Monday, saying he hoped his sale would help ease Milan's financial woes.

Maldini said that while the move may have made financial sense, it had undoubtedly weakened the side's chances of adding to it's seven European Cups.

"Milan winning the Champions League without Kaka is a dream," Maldini said on Milan's Web site on Wednesday. "Looking at the bank account is logical, but at the start of the season you need to set obtainable objectives and without Kaka the Champions League is a dream.

"He is one of the five best players in the world along with (Lionel) Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. The other four aren't moving and Milan can't buy them. Selling Kaka was a big blow to his teammates and the fans."

In his 24-year career with Milan, the former Italy captain was in the vanguard of Italian dominance in Europe. He won the Champions League five times and helped the club to a further three finals.

However, he now feels that Italy has slipped behind other leagues in Europe.

"Kaka is the first player of that level to be sold. In the past such an idea would never have been taken into consideration," Maldini said.

Maldini does feel that new coach Leonardo will not have to look too far to find a replacement for the 2007 World Player of the Year.

"Ronaldinho will have a lot of responsibility next season. Last year he didn't surpass himself, but I think this responsibility will do him good."

Taken from Fox Sports
                                              Thomas Paine

1]; } ?>