March 28, 2024, 04:44:36 AM

Author Topic: Warriors arrive in Mexico City  (Read 13632 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Warriors arrive in Mexico City
« on: June 09, 2009, 09:37:59 AM »
Warriors arrive in Mexico City
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF)

Mexicans ask: "Can Trinidad cause an upset on Wednesday?"

Trinidad and Tobago’s national team will have one training session at the Azteca Stadium from 8pm (pm TT Time) on Tuesday on the eve of their 2010 World Cup qualifier against Mexico on Wednesday night in the Mexican capital.

Head Coach Russell Latapy arrived with a 19-man squad just after midnight on Monday via Panama City before checking into the Radisson Hotel before a high presence of Mexican media which asked the question of the night … “Does Trinidad feel it can cause another upset against Mexico on Wednesday?”

Skipper Dwight Yorke would only respond: “It’s going to be a crucial game for both teams but the pressure is on Mexico to get a result at home. They are coming off a loss and so are we so both teams will be going all out to get something from this game. It’s always difficult to play at the Azteca Stadium but we are still very excited about the game.”

Latapy brought in defender Radanfah Abu Bakr and striker Devon Jorsling as replacements for Dennis Lawrence, who is out because of a family emergency while Scotland is out after picking up an injury in Saturday’s 3-2 loss to Costa Rica. Avery John is also out injured and Cornell Glen out with two yellow cards. Kerry Baptiste, Densill Theobald and Khaleem Hyland were all added to the 19-man squad

Meantime, defender Marvin Andrews gave thanks to the Almighty for achieving a milestone of 100 international appearances on Saturday.

“It’s a great feeling for me to be able to play 100 times for my country and I must give thanks to God The Almighty. Without him I may not have been back out and I have to be thankful for a successful surgery and being able to achieve this wonderful milestone. I’ve played in Cup Finals and several big matches but this one was special in a lot of ways because to do something like this for your country is a wonderful thing” Andrews told TTFF Media.

“With God anything is possible and that is why I am still confident that we can get to South Africa. We played well on Saturday but we were unfortunate not to come away with the victory. Whatever God wants for us that is what he will give us and if he believes we shall be in South Africa then we will accomplish that feat. We just have to keep believing and working hard to achieve that.”

The Raith Rovers and former Glasgow Rangers defender also said that Lawrence was in his prayers at this time.

“Dennis is a good friend and everyone knows that we play together in the defence for Trinidad and Tobago. It’s a difficult time for him now and I pray to God that his mom has a successful and speedy recovery,” Andrews added.

Reporters here in Mexico claim that already it seems like a crowd of over 100,000 will turn up at the Azteca to try and spur their team on against the “Soca Warriors” which lost 2-0 when the both teams met in Mexico in 2005.

“If Mexico doesn't beat Trinidad and Tobago on Wednesday then Javier Aguirre and his team are in real trouble”  one headline read.

They already have mounting problems. A 2-1 loss on Saturday to El Salvador away was Mexico's third loss in four qualifying games -- all losses on the road -- and leaves the country with the very real possibility that it could miss its first World Cup finals since 1990.

Trinidad and Tobago is last in the six-team North and Central American and Caribbean region, seemingly the perfect opponent for Aguirre, who took over the team in April after leading it to the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea, to get the qualification campaign back on track.

"I'm one who's convinced we'll be in the World Cup finals," Aguirre said. "There's still time. What's for sure is that six games remain and four will be at home and we have to put those points up."

See Warriors Arrival

Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors arrive in Mexico City
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 09:42:50 AM »
Mexicans ask: "Can Trinidad cause an upset on Wednesday?"

No.  But Trinidad AND Tobago can.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline noize

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 09:55:20 AM »
 :o dAMN....Avery, Lawrence  and Glen out that is not good news how good is Abu Bakr??...so ah guess is Dog, Thomas ,Abu Bakr, Carlos in the back

Offline bajanscout

• bajanscout
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 09:56:10 AM »
drop imps
bajanscout

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 09:58:41 AM »
Wheys.... all dem reporters jus up in Yorke personal space.

The man in the green cap watching him with a kinda lust face too  :devil:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 10:00:16 AM by g »
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 10:02:06 AM »
This might be where de 3-5-2 practice come in handy. 'Cause now we have no left back unless he call in Keon.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 10:02:39 AM »
Presshah!!
Lord help you Latas.  :-[ Wha' going orn here dread? Injury, yellow card, family emergency, appendicitis .. :'( :'(
Well Radanfah has talent, but dis is a scary way to get initiated.
No Avery "Blade" John. Please tell meh iz a joke nah.

Warriors ah still wid yuh. All those who wanted de young boys to geh blooded, well dey had dey wish, so do complain now.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 10:03:56 AM »
:o dAMN....Avery, Lawrence  and Glen out that is not good news how good is Abu Bakr??...so ah guess is Dog, Thomas ,Abu Bakr, Carlos in the back

With which one of those turtles playing LB?  You do realize that we need some element of speed on the Wing Back positions right?  A. Edwards despite how most forumites view him is an absolute starter this game.  I hope baptiste gets a run this game.

Offline bajanscout

• bajanscout
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 10:04:10 AM »
drop imps
bajanscout

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 10:05:03 AM »
This might be where de 3-5-2 practice come in handy. 'Cause now we have no left back unless he call in Keon.

Keon who?  WDMC yuh smokin in troot fella?!! ::)

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 10:09:17 AM »

Not me. Latas. Eye-witnesses report that Latas was using him as both left and right back in training. One man even say two men on de team tell him Keon was starting at LB against Costa Rica. Something change between then and de game, but fact is Latas see Keon as an option at full back.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 10:17:19 AM »

Not me. Latas. Eye-witnesses report that Latas was using him as both left and right back in training. One man even say two men on de team tell him Keon was starting at LB against Costa Rica. Something change between then and de game, but fact is Latas see Keon as an option at full back.

Possibly because of A. Edwards suspension (before Avery was recalled), but despite Aklie's shotcommings he is certainly the better of the 2 for the position.  When he actually focusses on his charge he can be very competent, so I would be completely astonished should Keon be the primary LB option.  In an emergency situation maybe but I think that would be a sign that we've given up if Keon Starts in defense.

Now who starts up front alongside KJ or do we revert to a 4-5-1?  If we go 442 it better be Baptiste as he is currently in ripping form and has the speed element to compliment Jones up front.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 10:21:35 AM »

Possibly because of A. Edwards suspension (before Avery was recalled), but despite Aklie's shotcommings he is certainly the better of the 2 for the position.  When he actually focusses on his charge he can be very competent, so I would be completely astonished should Keon be the primary LB option.  In an emergency situation maybe but I think that would be a sign that we've given up if Keon Starts in defense.

Now who starts up front alongside KJ or do we revert to a 4-5-1?  If we go 442 it better be Baptiste as he is currently in ripping form and has the speed element to compliment Jones up front.
Aklie not even wit de team, though. So it is an emergency situation. We have no recognized right or left back with the team right now, so whatever back 4 we put together go look crazy.

Offline Tha G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Anytime is trini time, cyah wait to buss ah lime
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 10:22:18 AM »
time to handle we friggin buisness, busup mexico..... leave everything in azteca

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 10:24:30 AM »
Whais de real story wid dem masks ... some fellas sporting dem like fashion accessories, some eh ha none and some looking like surgeons ???

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 10:28:43 AM »

Aklie not even wit de team, though. So it is an emergency situation. We have no recognized right or left back with the team right now, so whatever back 4 we put together go look crazy.

Well this is going to be very dicey because Bakr, Thomas & Andrews are slow as molasses with Andrews being the slowest.  We cannot afford to have a slow defense in Azteca as it will only allow for El Tri to run circles around our box and gain confidence with every touch.  Skilla isn't noted for speed and considering his penchant for leaving defenders out to dry in the past, I have no faith in his defensive accumen whatsoever.  Did he anounce his full squad for Mexico or is it the same as the CR match with the replacements for Avery, Lawrence, Scotland and Glen?  It wouldn't make sense to not have either added Edwards or another defender along with Bakr considering we lost 2.  If he only add Bakr that would mean he travelling with exactly 4 defenders all being CBs?  He would be more mad than anybody could have ever considered Pacho to do that.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 10:32:37 AM »

Well this is going to be very dicey because Bakr, Thomas & Andrews are slow as molasses with Andrews being the slowest.  We cannot afford to have a slow defense in Azteca as it will only allow for El Tri to run circles around our box and gain confidence with every touch.  Skilla isn't noted for speed and considering his penchant for leaving defenders out to dry in the past, I have no faith in his defensive accumen whatsoever.  Did he anounce his full squad for Mexico or is it the same as the CR match with the replacements for Avery, Lawrence, Scotland and Glen?  It wouldn't make sense to not have either added Edwards or another defender along with Bakr considering we lost 2.  If he only add Bakr that would mean he travelling with exactly 4 defenders all being CBs?  He would be more mad than anybody could have ever considered Pacho to do that.
I assume Fuentes name all de new additions. We probably going 3-5-2. Latas practice that a lot in training.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 10:49:01 AM »
Bakr is just back-up man, Thomas or Hislop will start. Maybe Hislop will improve with the Big Dog barking orders next to him. No Scotty and no Cornell? Kenwyne get a bligh there...he better use it.

I feel we will go 4-5-1 now with 4 defensive cm instead of a deep lying striker. Same tactics as saturday with the only change being that sammy and keon will probably start on the left and we attack along that flank instead. Birchall will be running across to the right hand side to cover for Carlos defensively when he make a run. But Carlos may not get the freedom to run the flank as much, at least not in the first half.

Tinto and Baptiste is the only real options we have off the bench if we need a goal late in the game. Hyland as cover for the midfielders who will bun round the 60 to 70th min (i.e. Spann or Yorke)
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 10:49:25 AM »

I assume Fuentes name all de new additions. We probably going 3-5-2. Latas practice that a lot in training.

Well if he does that and Mexico assumes their usual 5-3-2 we should be able to rule midfield and defnd fairly well as we should have numbers.  I still doh like it doh because again the backline is just way too slow.  maybe Hislop gets the nod as he is atleast a bit faster than Bakr and has been featured on this level enough that he's comfortable.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 10:54:11 AM »
Bakr is just back-up man, Thomas or Hislop will start. Maybe Hislop will improve with the Big Dog barking orders next to him. No Scotty and no Cornell? Kenwyne get a bligh there...he better use it.

I feel we will go 4-5-1 now with 4 defensive cm instead of a deep lying striker. Same tactics as saturday with the only change being that sammy and keon will probably start on the left and we attack along that flank instead. Birchall will be running across to the right hand side to cover for Carlos defensively when he make a run. But Carlos may not get the freedom to run the flank as much, at least not in the first half.

Tinto and Baptiste is the only real options we have off the bench if we need a goal late in the game. Hyland as cover for the midfielders who will bun round the 60 to 70th min (i.e. Spann or Yorke)

How can we go 451 with only slow ass central defenders in the mix.  Even though Aklie played out of position at LB at least he's experienced in the position and way speedier than the entire lot of defenders on the roster now.  He also passes better and can go forward with the ball, not something any of the CBs we have on this trip are noted for.  Also I can't see why he would not have Noel start again as he was very much involved on both ends (something Daniel seems allergic to).

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 11:01:06 AM »
Let me clarify for you, the 4-5-1...

---------------------------------Ince---------------------------

Carlos-------------------Dog--------------Keyeno/Makan------------Keon

------------Birchie-------------Yorke---------------Trent---------

----------------------Spann---------------------------------------Sammy
--------------------------------------Kenwyne--------------------------

Spann will hadda try and join the attack when we going forward while Birchie and Trent really providing cover for carlos and Keon who will be encouraged to push forward. Yorke supposed to sit and control things and not expend energy. But the amount of running the other 3 will have to do in the middle means we will have tired legs near the end.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 11:10:11 AM »

Allyuh is de greatest oui.  :rotfl:
Dis site should get an award.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 11:10:52 AM »
If Stern injured and Glenn have two yellows, who is the next option as forward??

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 11:12:50 AM »
I don't care what happen and who injured, we'll play with heart, creative, and solid and applying pressure throughout the field, and

WE BEATING MEXICO IN AZTECA.WE BEATING MEXICO IN AZTECA.WE BEATING MEXICO IN AZTECA.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 11:14:24 AM »

Spann will hadda try and join the attack when we going forward while Birchie and Trent really providing cover for carlos and Keon who will be encouraged to push forward. Yorke supposed to sit and control things and not expend energy. But the amount of running the other 3 will have to do in the middle means we will have tired legs near the end.

Keon in that position will kill us!  It's bad enough we have Carlos playing out of position on the right (even though he can defend competently), but on both wings nah!  And why take Tinto out of the lineup?  Sure he seemed nervous and didn't finish the plays down the flank, but the pressure he caused was tremendous.  To me that don't make too much sense, El Tri like da 5 defenders thing so we need 2 forwards and the likes of Tinto to pressure dem.  4-5-1 will play right into there hands as the defense will be prepared to soak up the pressure and only serve to frustrate KJ and the mids that join him in attack.

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 11:29:10 AM »

Keon in that position will kill us!  It's bad enough we have Carlos playing out of position on the right (even though he can defend competently), but on both wings nah!  And why take Tinto out of the lineup?  Sure he seemed nervous and didn't finish the plays down the flank, but the pressure he caused was tremendous.  To me that don't make too much sense, El Tri like da 5 defenders thing so we need 2 forwards and the likes of Tinto to pressure dem.  4-5-1 will play right into there hands as the defense will be prepared to soak up the pressure and only serve to frustrate KJ and the mids that join him in attack.

Yeah, no way Keon should be in left back, and Carlos plays excellently at right back also, he played that against Sweden in the World Cup and dominated, so you can't really call that playing him out of position- because the man plays that position like it's his main one, and don't try to bring up that goal where the guy beat him and cross- that was lawrence and Marvin's fault because of poor positioning and marking, along with the other midfielders for not tracking back- you expect any wingback to stop EVERY cross going into the box? Name ANY wingback around the world that can do that?? Carlos did his job on that play- he applied pressure, he just got beaten on that occasion, it was the defense and other players that didn't do THEIR job, because it's not like any of the goals they scored were brilliant plays- they were simple and soft goals that any properly organised defense and disciplined team would stop. That being said, I'm certain Latas and they will get it right!

Also, I agree with you on Tinto- if he can banish the nerves and hit in good crosses that will be icing on the cake, but even without doing that, he applied so much pressure on the opposition when he had the ball, and thereby took pressure off our team, and opened up space because every time he has the ball, at least 2 defenders needs to be on him, samuel did well, but when Tinto came off, there was visibly more pressure on our team. I remember seeing him playing a while ago and wondered why the ass he wasn't on the national team, I thought I heard he was from some other island or something, good thing I was mistaken. :)

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 11:38:33 AM »
Yeah, no way Keon should be in left back, and Carlos plays excellently at right back also, he played that against Sweden in the World Cup and dominated, so you can't really call that playing him out of position- because the man plays that position like it's his main one, and don't try to bring up that goal where the guy beat him and cross- that was lawrence and Marvin's fault because of poor positioning and marking, along with the other midfielders for not tracking back- you expect any wingback to stop EVERY cross going into the box? Name ANY wingback around the world that can do that?? Carlos did his job on that play- he applied pressure, he just got beaten on that occasion, it was the defense and other players that didn't do THEIR job, because it's not like any of the goals they scored were brilliant plays- they were simple and soft goals that any properly organised defense and disciplined team would stop. That being said, I'm certain Latas and they will get it right!

Also, I agree with you on Tinto- if he can banish the nerves and hit in good crosses that will be icing on the cake, but even without doing that, he applied so much pressure on the opposition when he had the ball, and thereby took pressure off our team, and opened up space because every time he has the ball, at least 2 defenders needs to be on him, samuel did well, but when Tinto came off, there was visibly more pressure on our team. I remember seeing him playing a while ago and wondered why the ass he wasn't on the national team, I thought I heard he was from some other island or something, good thing I was mistaken. :)

No argument regarding CE.  I think he did well enough and I do agree the CBs are mostly at fault for the goals.  CE cannot be completely absolved though, as a wing back has to stop the ball from being crossed effectively.  Apart from that he did well on the day so I really have no issue with him I was simply pointing out that we would have 2 out of position wingers with one being an unknown entity as far as defense is concerned.  To me Tinto based on what he was able to positively do against CR (and for his speed) is a must start.

Offline PIMP

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 11:51:52 AM »
John Barnes realise that Jamaica football inferior and ride out for a higher level (2nd Division Team)......

First time I hear a National Team Coach do something like that yes....

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 11:52:53 AM »
MEXICO AGO BEAT DEM BACK TO DI ROTI SHOP :devil: :devil: :devil: :rotfl: :rotfl:

CAN'T WAIT TELL GAME TIME :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

VIVA LA MEXICO

20-O :devil: :devil:  

WHAT TIME IS JAMAICA PLAYING? ??? ???

Offline jamaica4life

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 12:05:27 PM »
MEXICO AGO BEAT DEM BACK TO DI ROTI SHOP :devil: :devil: :devil: :rotfl: :rotfl:

CAN'T WAIT TELL GAME TIME :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

VIVA LA MEXICO

20-O :devil: :devil:  

WHAT TIME IS JAMAICA PLAYING? ??? ???

SOME BODY AGO GET A BEATING IN MEXICO TOMMOROW   

IT MUST HURT T&T KNOWING THAT     

SWINE FLU AND TACA BELLS INNA YA'LL RASSS   

1]; } ?>