March 19, 2024, 03:41:53 AM

Author Topic: Setanta sports may be done for...no more EPL  (Read 7518 times)

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Setanta sports may be done for...no more EPL
« on: June 09, 2009, 09:41:53 AM »
now saw this article. Seems like Setanta could be about to crash

Premier League Cash In Jeopardy As Setanta Cancel Subscription Service – Report

The broadcaster is reported to be facing administration...

9 Jun 2009 15:20:48

Ireland-based sports broadcaster Setanta have cancelled their subscription services; an act that could have implications for an imminent payment owed to the Premier League in broadcasting fees for next season.

There has been widespread speculation in recent weeks over the longevity of Setanta and the BBC are even reporting that the company are "on the brink of collapse".

The broadcaster owes £30 million for landing one of the six football packages for the 2009-10 season, but will only be able to fund the deal if backers finance it.

An official spokesperson has refused to supply a comment on whether or not the company face administration. Setanta have 1.2m estimated subscribers, however, they are allegedly losing over £100m every year.

Would-be subscribers receive an automated message when they attempt to sign up, stating, "The service is temporarily out of order."

Setanta also broadcast other sports such as golf, rugby and cricket.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 12:21:03 PM by Tallman »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Setanta 'is on brink of collapse'
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 10:49:17 AM »
Setanta 'is on brink of collapse'
Mihir Bose (BBC)

Report - Setanta future in doubt

Setanta faces administration "within days" unless backers provide more funds to pay £30m it owes to the English Premier League, reports have suggested.

The broadcaster has already failed to pay the Scottish Premier League £3m it owes in television rights money.

Setanta, which also shows cricket, golf and rugby union, has about 1.2 million subscribers but is losing up to £100m a year, analysts say.

Deloitte is set to step in to run the firm if it goes into administration.

Would-be customers who attempted to subscribe to Setanta through its website were on Tuesday told that it was not possible because of "routine maintenance". Meanwhile anybody trying to subscribe by phone receives a recorded message saying that "The service is temporarily out of order".

A spokesman for Setanta declined to comment on the firm's situation.

'Weaker' matches

The rights to show the English Premier League - and the subscribers that this pulls in - lie at the heart of Setanta's business model.

But the firm had only about 60% of the subscribers it needed to break even, said Professor Chris Brady of the BPP Business School.

"They have predicated the whole thing on getting those subscribers. The problem is they are taking on Goliath in BSkyB," he told the BBC.

Not only did Setanta have only a small percentage of televised Premier League games but they tended to be "weaker" matches, he added.

There had also been problems with customer service, Professor Brady told the BBC.

Setanta's viability was cast into doubt earlier this year when it lost the rights to show 46 live Premier League matches from 2010/2011.

In future, it will show only 23 games per season, compared with BSkyB's 115, with industry observers saying that thousands of customers would give up their subscriptions.

Falling values?

It is expected that a rival broadcaster - perhaps ESPN - would buy up its Premier League football rights.

But the worsening economy has led observers to suggest that the rights to 46 games that Setanta holds for next season, the final year of its current contract, would not be worth as much as they had been.

There are also doubts about whether the Premier League could match the £159m Setanta paid for the right to screen 23 Premier League games each season from 2010-11.

A shared deal with ITV saw them secure rights for England and FA Cup matches for £425m - and it is likely another firm would buy up these rights.

One SPL club chairman told the BBC that, if the broadcaster goes into administration, it would be "absolutely horrific" for the future of the game in Scotland.

He went on to say that it will have a massive impact on the whole financial structure of football and restrict the clubs' ability to bring in quality players.

Players would leave the country in search of better wages and jobs will be lost at all levels within the game.

Another SPL club has told BBC Scotland that income from Setanta alone accounts for 33% of their income, while another said it was 20% for his club.

"With cuts already being made for next season, the loss of revenue of 20% would undoubtedly have a knock-on effect on and off the pitch," said a source.

It is feared that the loss of cash from Setanta could force as many as three SPL clubs into administration.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 11:01:45 AM by E-man »

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Setanta 'is on brink of collapse'
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:54:23 AM »
Be champions !  ;D
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: On a lesser note....Setanta sports may be done for...no more EPL
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 11:42:48 AM »
i Hope Flow go to Sky if Sentanta fold up...I posted a thing bout this a few months ago.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 11:48:42 AM »
What I more worried about is dat this could mean de end of Special One TV.  :'(
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 12:00:54 PM »

I don't watch the show but from what I understnd the name change from "I'm on Setanta Sports" to "Special1 TV" was to facilitate them syndicating it through different outlets.

I am sure that if Setanta goes under they will find another partnership or just put it on the web.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 12:46:44 PM »

We should be more concerned that Setanta has been priced out of the market by Sky.

If Sky have no competition, that is an even worse scenario
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 12:52:59 PM »

nah he syndicated

that is why they change the name to Speical One TV from I'm on Setanta

Més que un club.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 01:06:08 PM »
Is my fault.
I sign up for Setanta Broadband when Sunderland was in they promotion push, and ent get bill yet.
Once I go in town and pay the balance on that, they should cover the £30m easy...
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 01:12:07 PM »
ESPN might happen, they have already taken over (re-branded) Setanta's American sports channel (NASN) in the UK.

I think they simply expanded too quickly. In the UK they have two main sports channels, ah 24hr sports news channel, a golf channel, Horse racing channel, the American Sports channel was still included in their subscription and they does run the Celtic, Rangers and I think Liverpool & Arsenal channels as well. Not to mention their North American and Irish channels all done in the past 5 years or so. They are pretty cheap (at least in the UK) for the options they offer....maybe too cheap. Too much too soon I'd say!!

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
SETANTA WOES, WHAT THIS MEANS TO US
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 09:25:28 AM »
Seems like setanta has moeny problems in paying the premireship

all those games we enjoyed on setana  may be a thing of the past

that sucks for FLOW cus i not coughing up for a one channel "sports package"

thoughts?

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Setanta loses Premier TV rights
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 12:19:43 PM »
Setanta loses Premier TV rights
BBC Sport 

Setanta will lose its two packages of games for 2009/10 season
Troubled sports broadcaster Setanta has failed to pay the latest chunk of the £30m it owes the English Premier League, and will now lose the rights.

The League has threatened to sell the rights to the 46 live matches Setanta has for the 2009/2010 season if the broadcaster failed to make the payment.

It will now put the rights out to auction, with offers needed by Monday.

A potential rescue deal, led by a US investor who had proposed buying 51% of Setanta, fell through.

'Regret'

The Premier League said it had "been working with Setanta for some time to help them continue as the broadcaster of 46 English live matches for the 2009/10 season".

The Premier League, in agreement with Setanta, stipulated that certain contractual requirements had to be met on or before Friday, 19 June, "to allow the preparations for the 2009/10 season to continue unaffected".

The league added: "It is with considerable regret that we announce that Setanta has been unable to meet their obligations. As such the existing licence agreement between us has been terminated with immediate effect."

The Premier League will now go ahead and auction the 46 UK live matches for the 2009/10 season.

'Issues'

Late last week, Access Industries, controlled by the US investor Len Blavatnik, tabled a £20m bid for a 51% share in Setanta.

It had been hoped Access could lead a consortium of investors to provide fresh funding for Setanta.

Mr Blavatnik had been studying Setanta's books
However Access has now said it was unable to proceed with a deal with Setanta.

It is understood that the deal faltered after it was revealed that Setanta owed a reported £50m to UK tax authorities.

"Access believed that this proposal could potentially have secured the future of the broadcaster for its customers, employees and for football, provided certain conditions required to put the business on a long-term viable footing were met," it said.

"Regrettably, despite intensive efforts on all sides over the past few days, and despite significant progress in a number of areas, there remain a number of issues which we have been unable to resolve within the time available.

"We are disappointed not to have been able to make this deal happen. Access remains committed to sports programming and will continue to explore opportunities in this area."

One of those which may be interest in acquiring Setanta's 46 games is Disney-owned sports channel ESPN.

'Bad news'

ESPN would not comment directly on the new situation but said it continued "to be interested in rights where they are available and where they make business sense".

Meanwhile James Pickles, editor of industry newsletter TV Sports Markets, said that until Thursday there were expectations that Setanta would pull though.

"It's bad news for everyone - no one is a winner," he said, adding: "It's a disaster for rights holders."

He said it was bad news for Sky because having a competitor such as Setanta was beneficial to it from an EU regulatory perspective, which prevents one broadcaster owning all Premier League rights.

However Sky would be legally free to bid for one of Setanta's two packages of 23 games.

Subscriber targets

Last week Setanta reopened its website to new subscribers - having closed it for several days.

Setanta is running at an estimated loss of £100m a year, after missing subscriber targets.

The broadcaster has 1.2 million subscribers, 700,000 short of the 1.9million that industry experts believe they need to break even.

Attention will now shift onto Setanta's other contracts - such as those with the FA for England and FA Cup matches, the Scottish Premier League, and the Blue Square conference.

The company also owns rights to the PGA golf tour, as well as cricket and rugby union deals.

Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Setanta sports may be done for...no more EPL
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 12:58:55 PM »
too much money to be made. another broadcaster will come along.

giggsy11

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 01:04:29 PM »
Damn, I wonder how of if this will affect my Direct Tv bill. Hopefully we don't end up having tuh watch games on the computer! I can also see this might lead tuh the bigger clubs trying tuh negotiate their individual rights to show their matches.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 01:21:56 PM »
http://www.setanta.com/global/gb.html

As has been widely reported in various media channels, Setanta Sports and investors are in the process of securing the future of the business.

All of our channels are still broadcasting across all platforms, our subscribers can continue to enjoy our programming and we are delighted to bring you live events this week such as The Ultimate Fighter Finale and the Rugby Union Nations Cup.

We are taking subscriptions from new customers for our great sports content both online at www.setanta.com and at our call centres.

Our customer service advisors are available to handle all of your queries. Alternatively there are a series of frequently-asked questions, the answers to which are set out for you below.

We thank you for your continued interest in Setanta Sports and look forward to bringing you a wealth of sport over the coming months and years.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 01:29:19 PM »

We should be more concerned that Setanta has been priced out of the market by Sky.

If Sky have no competition, that is an even worse scenario

Well well look what d cat just drag in. Is a good ting Sentana gone through.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 01:30:03 PM »
also, setanta have joint rights to EPL games in the UK and US with sky and fsc respectively.

if they lose it, i figure it go be better quality games on sky and FSC than when the share was in effect if other buyers doh come.

i rather watch the big 4 place on fsc instead of wigan vs. hull while manu vs chelsea on setanta...which i doh get coz comcast doh have it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Premier_League_broadcasters

Offline Mock de Dread

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Sport max & Setanta Package Cancel now or?
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 08:06:49 AM »
ok

So do i call Flow this morning and cancel the Max package?
Setanta has lost the Prem League. and left alone to sport maxs, i dont think its worth it, plus the quality of their broadcast is piss poor

Flow is so gay they black out FSC Prem league coverage basically its the same gaves as sports max but the pic quality is 100% better.

ESPN has lost Champions League

This season looks like a season for Direct TV, for La Liga.

Flow is already a load of " CRAP " now they are set to go from CRAP to beyond!!!

Is it time to sell off the Plasma and buy books?,

Cable has gone mad
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 08:10:34 AM by Mock de Dread »

Offline noize

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sport max & Setanta Package Cancel now or?
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 08:22:13 AM »
 :angel: Dont pay for cable..bro.. hook your computer up to the Plasma with either a HDMI or S-video cord and u can find all the games streamed on line fuh free as long as u have broadband it works gr8...and if u want movies or TV ...they stream that too...so dont waste yuh money on cable when u can pay for broadband and get everything free and legal ...check out these links

http://www.myp2p.eu/index.php?part=sports
http://www.justin.tv/
http://www.atdhe.net/
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/iraqgoals
http://www.mysoccerplace.net/

and movies/tv

http://www.ovguide.com/

Offline Mock de Dread

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sport max & Setanta Package Cancel now or?
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2009, 05:42:07 PM »

Ah love it

i did that for a game or two quality wasn't the best but was good enough commentary was in spanish though

Offline steelersi

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
EPL OFF OF SETANTA
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 05:57:17 AM »
JUST TO LET ALL KNOW THAT SETANTA HAS STOPPED CARRYING THE EPL, ONLY FOX AND ESPN GAME WILL BE AVAILABLE.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 06:44:28 AM »
I will check it tomorrow when I turn on meh tv.

If so Sportsmax pack will get unsubscribed IMMEDIATELY!

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 06:49:30 AM »
i agree touches cuz sportsmax alone is pureeeeeeeeeeeee bollocks
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 09:53:55 AM »
I eh go lie, I knowingly get rob at various point of meh life.

But it eh have no kind ah rob like paying for Sportsmax via Flow every month.

Més que un club.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 10:28:59 PM »
AP source: Fox negotiating to buy Setanta USA

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer
1 hour, 53 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP)—Fox Sports International is negotiating a purchase of Setanta Sports USA or many of its soccer rights, according to a person familiar with the talks, a possible prelude to launching the company’s second all-soccer network in the United States.

Negotiations were ongoing and could be completed within days, the person said Friday, speaking on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made.

Premier League games were dropped this week from the schedule on Setanta USA’s Web site, but on Friday two games were restored for the weekend: Arsenal vs. Everton on Saturday and West Ham vs. Wolverhampton on Sunday. The Web site EPL Talk, which first reported on the talks, said this week that a Fox company had obtained a trademark for the name “Fox Soccer Plus.”

The deal being discussed would give Fox Sports International increased distribution of England’s Premier League, the most-watched soccer league worldwide. Fox Sports International. a division of News Corp., owns the U.S. broadcast rights through 2012-13 and televises matches on Fox Soccer Channel. It has been televising the Premier League in the U.S. since 1998 and sublicensees some of the games to Setanta USA and ESPN2, which is televising 48 matches this season.

Fox also owns U.S. rights to England’s Football Association Cup, Italy’s Serie A and the European Champions League, which it took over this season from ESPN. British Sky Broadcasting Group, another company affiliated with News Corp., dominates English Premier League rights.

Setanta USA has rights to the English League Championship, the English League Cup and several other soccer properties.

Fox Soccer Channel says it is about to starting to broadcast in high definition, although its unclear which cable systems will carry it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-fox-setantausa&prov=ap&type=lgns

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 11:03:55 PM »
January 11, 2010

APNewsBreak: Fox to Launch 2nd Soccer Network

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 10:34 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- Fox will announce Tuesday that it is launching its second all-soccer network in the United States on March 1.

The new network, called Fox Soccer Plus, will televise matches of the European Champions League, England's Premier League, the English Football Association Cup and the Italian Serie A.

Fox Soccer Channel began operation in 1997 and changed its name to FSC five years ago.

''As America's interest in the world's game is increasing, the launch of Fox Soccer Plus will complement and enhance our current programming on Fox Soccer Channel,'' new FSC general manager David Nathanson said.

The new network will draw content from Setanta USA, whose sublicenses with Fox are expiring, a person familiar with the negotiations said Monday, speaking on condition of anonymity because that detail won't be included in the announcement.

Fox, a division of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, is negotiating with cable carriers to determine what tiers the new network will be placed on. The new network will be broadcast in high definition; Fox also has been preparing to start high definition telecasts of FSC.

Fox has been televising the Premier League in the U.S. since 1998 and sublicenses some of the games to Setanta USA and ESPN2, which is televising 48 matches this season.

Also Monday, FSC said it was hiring Andy Gray of News Corp.'s Sky Sports in Britain for its studio show during this year's World Cup. Gray, a former Scotland national team player, worked for ESPN's U.S. coverage of the 2008 European Championship.

Richard Keys of Sky Sports also will be a part of FSC's World Cup coverage.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/01/11/sports/AP-SOC-Fox-Soccer-Second-Network.html

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 08:54:13 AM »
Well is now self we balls getting squeeze down here   :cursing:

Yuh will bound to must have to keep yuh Sportsmax to show a blurry feed of Fox Sports.

Sportsmax and Flow is 2 cuddersmunt.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 10:22:50 AM »
January 11, 2010

APNewsBreak: Fox to Launch 2nd Soccer Network

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 10:34 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- Fox will announce Tuesday that it is launching its second all-soccer network in the United States on March 1.

The new network, called Fox Soccer Plus, will televise matches of the European Champions League, England's Premier League, the English Football Association Cup and the Italian Serie A.

Fox Soccer Channel began operation in 1997 and changed its name to FSC five years ago.

''As America's interest in the world's game is increasing, the launch of Fox Soccer Plus will complement and enhance our current programming on Fox Soccer Channel,'' new FSC general manager David Nathanson said.

The new network will draw content from Setanta USA, whose sublicenses with Fox are expiring, a person familiar with the negotiations said Monday, speaking on condition of anonymity because that detail won't be included in the announcement.

Fox, a division of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, is negotiating with cable carriers to determine what tiers the new network will be placed on. The new network will be broadcast in high definition; Fox also has been preparing to start high definition telecasts of FSC.

Fox has been televising the Premier League in the U.S. since 1998 and sublicenses some of the games to Setanta USA and ESPN2, which is televising 48 matches this season.

Also Monday, FSC said it was hiring Andy Gray of News Corp.'s Sky Sports in Britain for its studio show during this year's World Cup. Gray, a former Scotland national team player, worked for ESPN's U.S. coverage of the 2008 European Championship.

Richard Keys of Sky Sports also will be a part of FSC's World Cup coverage.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/01/11/sports/AP-SOC-Fox-Soccer-Second-Network.html

So what they going to show on regular FSC then?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 10:31:05 AM »
Unprecedented international soccer coverage.

Want international soccer? Look no further — DIRECTV has more of it than anyone. UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, La Liga — catch up to 28 European soccer matches a week, only on DIRECTV. You can even watch multiple matches at once on one screen with DIRECTV's exclusive Soccer Mix Channel (ch. 461)*. If you're a soccer fan, you need DIRECTV.

See qualifying tournaments, preliminary matches and elimination rounds from the three most prestigious European leagues, only on DIRECTV.

UEFA Champions League Tune in to channels 461-469
DIRECTV offers the most live matches from the UEFA Champions League — the most prestigious club trophy in European soccer. Catch over 5 live matches every tournament day — only on DIRECTV, at no extra charge. The remaining matches require purchase of SPORTS PACK and Setanta Sports.

UEFA Europa League Tune in to channels 461–470
Catch 153 live UEFA Europa League matches, up to 16 games every tournament day — only on DIRECTV, at no extra charge. The remaining matches are available with the SPORTS PACK subscription.

Tune in at 1pm ET and 3:05 pm ET on Thursdays. La Liga Tune in to channels 456-459
See at least 3 matches a round from the top soccer league in Spain — that's a total of 114 live games, only on DIRECTV, at no extra charge. Tune in Saturdays and Sundays on select dates from August 2009 to May 2010. Catch the remaining matches on GolTV (available with SPORTS PACK subscription), ESPN Deportes (available with any MÁS package), ESPN and ESPN2.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/sports/soccer?footernavtype=-1
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 10:39:08 AM »
We in real shit now....

Sportsmax is a piece of shit channel... blurry and disgusting

now FSC going to bring a new channel...which will probably take years to reach FLOW's attention...

Flow should introduce a Fox package... FSC, Fox Soccer Plus and the remaining Fox channels which broadcast football especially for the Champions League.... Scrap the "maxpack" and offer Sportsmax as part of the basic package

Setanta was quality... I'm on Setanta Sports, Football Matters, EPL, FA Cup, Champions League.... sad day

1]; } ?>