March 28, 2024, 02:30:22 PM

Author Topic: Coach Latapy's grade after 2 games in de Hex  (Read 9532 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Coach Latapy's grade after 2 games in de Hex
« on: June 11, 2009, 04:16:19 PM »
POSITIVES:

1 - More flow in attack.  Actually, check dat.  Jes say flow in attack because there wasn't no flow before.

2 - A more compact & energetic midfield in general.  The midfield is at least trying to deny the opposition space and time when they have the ball.  This was much more evident in Tobago than in the Azteca, but still a noticeable and positive difference.

3 - Our wing back deficiencies have slightly improved but it's still an improvement.  We still leak holes due to lack of midfield support but it's not as glaring as before.

4 - We're a little fitter in general but still way short of what is required at this level, which is why we BUN so much in the latter part of our matches.

5 - The "new" additions Tinto and Noel have been welcome "surprises".  Noel's workrate and overall ability compensates for Yorke's immobility and allows Yorke to play a bit more of the game at his pace...at least initially.  Tinto provides another "Cornell Glen" type option to the frontline.  Something that was markedly lacking before.  Speed and some dribbling ability and as yesterday showed....a pretty decent finish too.

6 - Taking a makeshift team (with all the injuries & suspensions) into the Azteca and ending up with a 2-1 loss shows the coach has some luck and ability on his side.  We were thoroughly outplayed, the Mexican's threw away a host of chances, we could have lost 5-1, but we did fight.  Kudos to coach and team.  Historically, a loss by 6 goals would not have been out of the question.

NEGATIVES:
1 - Our Central defence has regressed.  Terribly.

2 - Our defensive discipline overall has also taken a backward step (if that were at all possible)

3 - Our much vaunted strike force can't score.  Not necessarily Latas' fault as they haven't scored all Hex but that's a BIG PROBLEM.  We supposed to be "deep" in the striking department.

4 - Questionable substitution choices.  Taking off Spann and leaving on Yorke in Tobago.  Leaving 37 year old Yorke on whole game in the Azteca.

Overall, an improvement in team play and a regression in defence.  The result, 2 losses in 2 games.  Coach Latapy has done a lot in a short space of time.  The man obviously has something but while it's one thing to want T&T to play a certain way...and I am one of those that believe that if you play good football, you'll probably win more than you lose over time.....the game at this level is about results.   

Encouraging signs for sure but as injunchile say...honeymoon over.  Time fuh results.

My grade....a solid B for Coach Latapy.  B fuh Bly.....fuh now.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Coach Latapy's grade after 2 games in de Hex
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 04:23:18 PM »
ways we agree on something

cosign (copyright weary)

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 05:04:52 PM »
POSITIVES:

1 - More flow in attack.  Actually, check dat.  Jes say flow in attack because there wasn't no flow before.

2 - A more compact & energetic midfield in general.  The midfield is at least trying to deny the opposition space and time when they have the ball.  This was much more evident in Tobago than in the Azteca, but still a noticeable and positive difference.

3 - Our wing back deficiencies have slightly improved but it's still an improvement.  We still leak holes due to lack of midfield support but it's not as glaring as before.

4 - We're a little fitter in general but still way short of what is required at this level, which is why we BUN so much in the latter part of our matches.

5 - The "new" additions Tinto and Noel have been welcome "surprises".  Noel's workrate and overall ability compensates for Yorke's immobility and allows Yorke to play a bit more of the game at his pace...at least initially.  Tinto provides another "Cornell Glen" type option to the frontline.  Something that was markedly lacking before.  Speed and some dribbling ability and as yesterday showed....a pretty decent finish too.

6 - Taking a makeshift team (with all the injuries & suspensions) into the Azteca and ending up with a 2-1 loss shows the coach has some luck and ability on his side.  We were thoroughly outplayed, the Mexican's threw away a host of chances, we could have lost 5-1, but we did fight.  Kudos to coach and team.  Historically, a loss by 6 goals would not have been out of the question.

NEGATIVES:
1 - Our Central defence has regressed.  Terribly.

2 - Our defensive discipline overall has also taken a backward step (if that were at all possible)

3 - Our much vaunted strike force can't score.  Not necessarily Latas' fault as they haven't scored all Hex but that's a BIG PROBLEM.  We supposed to be "deep" in the striking department.

4 - Questionable substitution choices.  Taking off Spann and leaving on Yorke in Tobago.  Leaving 37 year old Yorke on whole game in the Azteca.

Overall, an improvement in team play and a regression in defence.  The result, 2 losses in 2 games.  Coach Latapy has done a lot in a short space of time.  The man obviously has something but while it's one thing to want T&T to play a certain way...and I am one of those that believe that if you play good football, you'll probably win more than you lose over time.....the game at this level is about results.   

Encouraging signs for sure but as injunchile say...honeymoon over.  Time fuh results.

My grade....a solid B for Coach Latapy.  B fuh Bly.....fuh now.

Palos u generous dat coach grade is a C by international standards, C+ at best. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 05:07:27 PM »
One more thing Latas need to suit up.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline 7 blessings

• Lion II Zion
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 05:15:45 PM »
Hope them keep him long term and give him time to build on the foundation he setting...we does change coaches too often... Have we ever had a coach for more than one WC campaign?

Latas i hope dem keep u on boy..

Good assessment
Jesus Christ died for us....now it's time for us to Live for Him

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 05:16:40 PM »
:thumbsup: Freedom to express ourselves on offense

:thumbsup: Individual flashes of 1v1 prowess

:thumbsup: Boss finish by Tinto

:thumbsdown: Lack of real pressure, cover and balance (marking, tracking back) in our defensive third

:thumbsdown: Lack of support or movement when central midfielders were in possesion resulting in negagtive passes, lost possession or boom kick

:thumbsdown: 1 or 2 out 4 defenders pulling "offside trap" letting strikers run free
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 05:19:55 PM »
idk why this man on friend thing and playing Yorke 90 mins all the time.  Yorke jogging after 20 mins, not sprinting.  he burned out. Should sub yorke instead on Kenwyne last night

Offline vze2rhrg

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 06:18:31 PM »
This T & T team needs to discover the word "spontaneity" aka creativity.
Guys rediscover the part of youir foot called " the heel". I have seen nothing
atypical by any of the midfielders and strikers. Too conventional, so unlike the Trini personality.
Coach, have the team liming under the goal in the penalty area-- have a picnic there. They need to overcome the stigma of the goal area. They are simply not comfortable ( scared?)under the shadow of the goal.

... and still...
One more thing Latas need to suit up.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 06:21:28 PM »
Right Palos now we on the same page....for a while there ah thought yuh wanted Maturana to come back... :devil: ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 07:27:57 PM »
I give Latas a B or B+. We played a very confident Costa Rica and did not play bad. Played Mex at home and only conceded 2 goals and scored 1. Mata screwed us over, he is still responsible for those losses. As far as I am concerned Latas is doing a superb job. If Mata was still running the team I doubt we would have scored in any of the games.  Big up Latas!

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 07:34:58 PM »
I give Latas a B or B+. We played a very confident Costa Rica and did not play bad. Played Mex at home and only conceded 2 goals and scored 1. Mata screwed us over, he is still responsible for those losses. As far as I am concerned Latas is doing a superb job. If Mata was still running the team I doubt we would have scored in any of the games.  Big up Latas!
umm...the facts seem to suggest otherwise eh..the only WCQ games Maturana teams din score in was the two US games away and guatemala away wid 10 men..

Latapy gets a C...for now..too early to really judge his performance..let the man work with the team for a five games before we really start doing this...

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 07:35:07 PM »
once defence gels,de warriors will progress.latas is ah definite plus.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline cm103

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 07:38:36 PM »
Thats a fair assessment Palos even though I think the grade of B is a little easy. A B- more like it but he need at least 3 more games for a proper assessment to be made. Them first two games would have always been a pull stones, even for a 'big name' coach who get this team for the same amount of time. Lets see if he wins the games he should and uses that as a springboard.

I don't think a 40 year old Latapy should suit up for us. If a 37 year old Yorke cyah make then a 40 year old, cigarette smoking Latapy will just burn another sub halfway through. Blood or groom a successor but lewwe enjoy Latas previous magic on the field and let the man get a good start on this stage of his career.

If anything, even if we qualify for this cup, we need to start playing and thinking for Brazil.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 07:40:37 PM by cm103 »

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 07:41:21 PM »
idk why this man on friend thing and playing Yorke 90 mins all the time.  Yorke jogging after 20 mins, not sprinting.  he burned out. Should sub yorke instead on Kenwyne last night

well baba, if dat is your logic, d whole damn team shouda get subbed becauses every body was bun and joggin after a while. an be truthful nah... yorke started to fade from about d sixtieth minute not so early as u suggesting.

IMHO, i feel latas deserve a B+. jus for bringing out a significant change in dis team that is a mixture of inexperience an old men.

Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 07:45:04 PM »
True. Cant grade him after two matches. The home game against El Sal is and away game to Honduras will be his true test. Need 6 points nothing less than 4.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 08:05:54 PM »
Positives:  No Aklie Edwards

Negatives:  No Latas

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 08:45:45 PM »
Latapy has surprised me by showing good tactical awareness.  He really hasn't been "out-coached", so to speak.  We have lost games more as a result of mental lapses and basic errors.  We seem to be more willing to build out of the back, and I thought our midfielders are looking better receiving the ball from out the back with their back against the opposing defence.  Our front players are applying more pressure higher up the field in spurts, and that is a welcomed sign, and I think we are playing a bit faster....Still a lot of work to do, but Latapy doesn't seem to be intimidated by facing supposedly more experienced coaches, and that is good.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 09:07:38 PM »
and why ma boy Collin Samuel aint get no burn too?

Offline jimmel14

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 09:07:56 PM »
idk why this man on friend thing and playing Yorke 90 mins all the time.  Yorke jogging after 20 mins, not sprinting.  he burned out. Should sub yorke instead on Kenwyne last night

hmm well that means that Jones wasnt suppose to on d team either cuz he was walking.and yorke have like 10+ years on him... hmmm

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 09:13:02 PM »

well baba, if dat is your logic, d whole damn team shouda get subbed becauses every body was bun and joggin after a while. an be truthful nah... yorke started to fade from about d sixtieth minute not so early as u suggesting.

IMHO, i feel latas deserve a B+. jus for bringing out a significant change in dis team that is a mixture of inexperience an old men.

man, even Sunderland coach know Yorke cant be running for 90 mins. You cant be jogging back to help in defence when the mexicans sprinting at u are the defensive midfielder. You didnt see Ince tired buffing him about that too. and jogging wih tinto and edwards and the rest sprinting on the counter attack, that leads  to end up depending on the long ball when timing off rather than higher percent completed short passes.

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 09:18:37 PM »
idk why this man on friend thing and playing Yorke 90 mins all the time.  Yorke jogging after 20 mins, not sprinting.  he burned out. Should sub yorke instead on Kenwyne last night

i think the fact that KJ also jogging after 20 mins confusing his brain  :devil:

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 10:13:12 PM »
keep going Gaffer
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 01:45:07 AM »

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 01:45:36 AM »

I agree warriorqueen, cosign!

Online lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 04:44:13 AM »
d problem is who else can have dat calmin influence on d team, if yorke wasn't on d field in mexico, we would have gotten dat 7 or 8, so my ting is we have to find someone to do just dat, dem two embarassin US games is proof, and ah will say it again, is not carlos, he ah lil to caught up in heself for dat role, d freekick in mexico provide enough evdence to confirm dat to me.
I pity the fool....

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2009, 06:48:40 AM »
I think the main problem with us is that the young players not stepping up to the pitch . They not going in search of the ball they only playing when they get the ball and that's why Yorke so vital because when the team under fire they will stand around and watch rather than showing initiative to win the ball and start the play they waiting for some one else to do it...in short our young players have no balls....they're cowards .... if yorke eh do it they'll all stand around watching..... on our team ill let you know the players who try to make things happen and observe their attitudes as players.....
Yorke , Carlos , Lawrence, glen, stern, birchy, Avery, Ince, latas when he played obviously i guess since he under fire but he does be bawling at them boy ass to lift they level  everyone else just stand around waiting..... until them boy stop being afraid to play and take a risk we going no where we already losing so why can't we learn to take the game by the scruff of the neck. We play to hold on to a draw not to win....defensively we just chyase to clear the ball when we should be chasing you to dominate you win the ball and restart our attack rather than just kick it out for a throw  ....shittttt

Our team is a bunch of cowards.....
Jamaica will never be  close to our team in terms of talent but they tell they self we not going out like that ah bloodclart and individually they say aint no bloodclart small man going to dominate us....i have to give them props for that .......  Kenwyn used to fight like that and now he playing like a primadonna ..leave he ras in sunderland and do call him back is best we call back he uncle Philbert Jones to show him how its done.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2009, 07:12:55 AM »
Latas...when is our next friendly game?

We have to be ready for El Salvador.

Thanks in advance.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2009, 07:14:11 AM »
jack run tings
jack run tings

ah good for ah next week now
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2009, 07:20:00 AM »
How could he get ah B and after we play 2 games and lost both?  I agree we playing better but latas eh get no B as yet.  I would give him a C+ or B-.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2009, 07:33:47 AM »
6 pts lost......by academic judgement  you get an F

Rooms for improvement.....Defense Defense Defense.....
Ah say it, how ah see it

1]; } ?>