April 19, 2024, 06:56:25 PM

Author Topic: Latapy: We're down but not out  (Read 3956 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Latapy: We're down but not out
« on: June 11, 2009, 05:41:35 PM »
Latapy: We're down but not out
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

National Team Head Coach Russell Latapy, this time in jacket and stripes and without his playing boots, guided this country to its best ever result in World Cup qualification in Mexico but described his feeling as “gutted” as the “Soca Warrior” fell 2-1 at the Estadio Azteca on Wednesday night.

The 40-year-old Latapy still felt  his players deserved some bit of applaud after yet another fighting display left them empty handed and bottom of the CONCACAF table on two points. Still in with a fighting chance of qualifying for South Africa, the good news is that three of T&T’s remaining five matches will be at home. Victories in those three games and a match on the road to a Costa Rican team that should already be qualified for South Africa by the time we face them on October 10 means too that T&T’s encounter away to Honduras on September 5 could be a vital one. T&T’s round of matches in CONCACAF ends on October 14 at home to Mexico.

“What I asked the players to do what was to give a lot of commitment and work hard and I was happy that that is what I got in the two games. Still there is a lot of work to be done.

“We gave the ball away too cheaply against Costa Rica and we did it again tonight

There are still a lot of basic errors that we are still committing but I chose to look at the positive side. I’m sure that in our upcoming games, with three home games we have to play to win all three and that’s what we are going to do. If we can get those results then we are still in with a very good chance,” Latapy told TTFF Media following the loss in Mexico City.

Latapy couldn’t have had two tougher games to begin his tenure as head coach, one against the best team in the Concacaf at the moment and the other against a team that was always going to be favourites to win at the Azteca even in light of their recent lack of winning results.

“We know that coming to Mexico was never going to be an easy task. We said straight away that they would come out the blocks flying which they did. But we were able to get back in the game and contain them. We even created a few half chances but it’s always an uphill battle when you lose a goal in the first minute of the game and second minute after the break. But again fair play to the players... they battled back from that and created a few chances following the early goal. There were a lot of positives to take out of it and I’ll commend the players in the way they went about their business,” Latapy added.

“I think at this present time we will have to hope some other results go our way but at the end of the day we have five games remaining and I prefer to concentrate on how we will play and what we do. We are going to try and win these games. It has been a very two difficult games. We’ve possibly played two of the hardest games … just kind my luck that those were the two games that I got to start with,” Latapy said. “But that’s is the nature of football and we’ve just got to deal with it and get on with everything else.”

The former FC Porto player left for Scotland on Thursday morning to tie up some personal business before returning home next week. This has been his first opportunity to return to the UK since being appointed as head coach of the T&T team.

Team captain Dwight Yorke also returned to the UK on Thursday while the majority of home-based players who are involved in Pro League action on Friday, also returned home on Thursday.

The rest of the contingent including some of the other overseas-based pros now in off season, will return to Port of Spain on Friday afternoon at 4pm.

View Post Game Comments 

Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy: We're down but not out
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 06:26:59 PM »
Big up Coach....We goin all the way. Leave all the naysayers and pseudo analyists in your wake as you move to show them the folly of the maturana-mentallity.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 06:49:15 PM »
yeah. i joining d ban wagon 2.

we going all d way....................................................home.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 07:18:43 PM »
Until 4th spot impossible to achieve...we still in it.

Once we beat El Salvador we back on track.

Shoulda leggo Maturana after Bermuda.

He 4k up in the digicup and we still give him a bly.

But Afro beat the mighty USA...yuh cyar take that away from him. With Spann playing Right back and Aklie playing left

Honestly...while they say Maturana resign I feel Jack had to wait for his contract to end and not renew it. The TTFF couldnt spend that kinda money to pay off Maturana contract before time.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 07:47:33 PM »
Until 4th spot impossible to achieve...we still in it.

Once we beat El Salvador we back on track.

Shoulda leggo Maturana after Bermuda.

He 4k up in the digicup and we still give him a bly.

But Afro beat the mighty USA...yuh cyar take that away from him. With Spann playing Right back and Aklie playing left

Honestly...while they say Maturana resign I feel Jack had to wait for his contract to end and not renew it. The TTFF couldnt spend that kinda money to pay off Maturana contract before time.

Bingo.....Mis sentimientos exactamente.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 07:57:32 PM »
The former FC Porto player left for Scotland on Thursday morning to tie up some personal business before returning home next week. This has been his first opportunity to return to the UK since being appointed as head coach of the T&T team.
View Post Game Comments 

while you there I hope you make a trip over to England to talk to Samuel and Zamora.  We ent going a place without those two in the starting lineup

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 08:07:44 PM »
View Post Game Comments 

while you there I hope you make a trip over to England to talk to Samuel and Zamora.  We ent going a place without those two in the starting lineup
Ollie Camps alleges that talks have already taken place and that Jlloyd seems more open to the idea than Zamora.

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 08:12:28 PM »
View Post Game Comments 

Ollie Camps alleges that talks have already taken place and that Jlloyd seems more open to the idea than Zamora.
jloyd was always more willing to play for us...i don't know why we have this love affair with zamora..he turned us down at first because he believed he could make england's team..then changed his mind after we qualifed..
either way jloyd is more important for us to get..he's a good defender who can play lb or cb...

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 08:14:46 PM »
View Post Game Comments 

jloyd was always more willing to play for us...i don't know why we have this love affair with zamora..he turned us down at first because he believed he could make england's team..then changed his mind after we qualifed..
either way jloyd is more important for us to get..he's a good defender who can play lb or cb...

oh yea I forgot we have big name strikers who scoring like rain

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 09:08:14 PM by arrow »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 08:51:37 PM »
In the video, Latapy look like he does smoking some serious collie....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 09:05:28 PM »
In the video, Latapy look like he does smoking some serious collie....

yeah boy he ain't look to convincing there boy!!!!  I nervous.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 09:14:31 PM »
yeah. i joining d ban wagon 2.

we going all d way....................................................home.

trinidad out for duck yes. 2 points smh

Offline cm103

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 09:47:23 PM »
View Post Game Comments 

I cyah see how you could say this with any sort of certainty. Dem boys eh even kick a lime with we team as it is and could well end up being a set of posers who value club over country and just want they international caps on d cv. Birchall proved himself to be an exception to that but no telling how other foreigners will do.

It cyah hurt to try them but it have some men who warrant a second look who have stints with the team in the past.

Side question. What ever happen to that Brazilian who wanted to play for we back in d last WC and get blank because of that FIFA rule and citizenship constraints? I cyah remember the man name now.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 09:53:49 PM »
WHO WANT TUH LEAVE NOW..COULD LEAVE... I WILL BE HERE TILL DE END...
AT LEAST THE FORUM COULD GET MANAGEABLE

LEAVE NOW....

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 10:08:53 PM »
Question....when we make it....you feel latas go give heself a sweat in World Cup?  :devil:
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 10:19:07 PM »

LEAVE NOW....

coeffinsign

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 02:44:05 AM »
Question....when we make it....you feel latas go give heself a sweat in World Cup?  :devil:

I like that question bourbon- haha lol

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 03:27:33 AM »
View Post Game Comments 

I cyah see how you could say this with any sort of certainty. Dem boys eh even kick a lime with we team as it is and could well end up being a set of posers who value club over country and just want they international caps on d cv. Birchall proved himself to be an exception to that but no telling how other foreigners will do.

It cyah hurt to try them but it have some men who warrant a second look who have stints with the team in the past.

Side question. What ever happen to that Brazilian who wanted to play for we back in d last WC and get blank because of that FIFA rule and citizenship constraints? I cyah remember the man name now.

Aside from the technicalities involved, the first thing that comes to mind is his age ... he's 35.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 06:48:16 AM »

LEAVE NOW....

preach muh bredren!! i totally agree!!!!!
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 06:50:01 AM »

LEAVE NOW....

I also cosign this.....
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 06:52:23 AM »
We eh knocked out cold yet.... we reeling and coming again....!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7O1b5VwA-I

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 01:23:09 PM »
Yuh know what really saddens me? Is de fact dat de man with de stammer 4q up we team and coach selection years ago when we should have been preparing for these Qualifiers. Arguably, our opponents are the weakest in all de hexes we played in and we have not been able to take advantage of the situation because we failed to prepare. Dat real bunning meh. Ah cyah even look at de standings right now. We not totally out of it as yet but man what ah wasted opportunity to rise up and shine.   :( :praying:

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 01:50:02 PM »
15 points more bredda... hold the faith. :beermug:

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 02:01:32 PM »
View Post Game Comments 

anodder one yes...  :-\

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 03:41:21 PM »
15 points more bredda... hold the faith. :beermug:

3 at a time strt aug 12th
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 03:41:59 PM »

LEAVE NOW....

Cosignnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 03:48:36 PM »
15 pts... I believe...! bro marvin say so  ;)

1]; } ?>