April 27, 2024, 02:34:08 PM

Author Topic: Confederations Cup Thread  (Read 122097 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Confederations Cup Thread
« Reply #570 on: June 24, 2009, 03:06:27 PM »
On that note ... here's a lil retrospective that might be useful re: the recent Brazil-Italy game.

Brazil: Dunga's central midfield headache
by Carlos Grover, Bleacher Report
May 12, 2009

With the 2010 World Cup in South Africa fast approaching, Dunga's Brazil squad has a long way to go before the final group is established. Dunga's tactics are unique, and one of the defining characteristics of his Brazil team is the use of two holding midfield players. As a player, Dunga played in this role captaining Brazil's 1994 World Cup champions and Brazil's 1998 finalists. He clearly sees great value in providing a defensive foundation in the midfield that is capable of regaining position in order for the creative midfielders such as Ronaldinho, Elano, or Kaka to create chances.

As of yet, however, Dunga has struggled to find the right players to accomplish that goal. The only consistently selected player for this role has been Panathiakos midfielder Gilberto Silva. Although Gilberto Silva is an intelligent player who plays a leadership role on the team, he struggles to perform what is needed from this position. Unfortunately, Gilberto Silva lacks the athleticism necessary to cover the ground and do the 'dirty work.' It seems Dunga has a soft spot for Gilberto Silva, however, as the World Cup approaches, he must be eying some of the new blood for the spot.

The most recent player given a chance to fill that role is Fiorentina's Felipe Melo. In his first appearance for Brazil in a friendly against Italy, Felipe Melo was paired alongside Gilberto Silva forming that defensive duo at the heart of the Brazil lineup. Melo demonstrated both in the friendly and later in World Cup qualifier against Peru (in which he scored) that he has the athleticism that Brazil has long been lacking there. Although he does not have the maturity of Gilberto Silva, he proved himself a strong tackler and reasonable distributor of the ball. His determination was an injection of energy in the duo usually composed of Josue and Gilberto Silva.

Assistant coach Jorginho recognized Felipe Melo's contribution to the team by stating about his performance against Italy.
"This is the type of posture we need from a player. He came in (to the Brazil team) very well and conquered his space."
Felipe Melo is not the only player looking to make his mark and take on this essential role for Brazil. Many others, including Lucas of Liverpool, Hernanes of Sao Paulo, and even players that don't fill this function for their clubs, have come in and performed for Brazil, such as Julio Baptista of Roma, and Anderson of Manchester United.

The essential quality that Brazil lacks when Gilberto Silva is on the field is athleticism. These younger players provide the energy to make up the ground that players like Ronaldinho, Kaka, or Elano leave by not tracking back. Although it has not been suggested yet, one player who performs this function extremely efficiently is Porto's Fernando. In Porto's Champions League encounter against Manchester United, he routinely dispossessed some of the best players in the world. He is a workhorse and it is his energy that allows Porto to look forward and play attacking soccer. He still lacks the distributive capabilities that Gilberto Silva has, but the reality is that it isn't the job of this position to be creating opportunities (something which Gilberto Silva lacks the creativity to do anyway).

Brazil has always been able to keep the ball, however the untold story is how, in every successful Brazil team in modern times, Brazil has also won the midfield battle. Dunga's selection headaches will continue to worsen as the World Cup approaches. In order to compete against the strength of midfields such as Argentina's (whose center midfield holding options include the likes of Esteban Cambiasso, Mascherano, and Fernando Gago) or any of the European powers, Dunga must invigorate Brazil's midfield.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 24, 2009, 03:06:32 PM »
Steeuups...Spain is ah shit side. Too much small goal. Ah doh know who worse, dem or Argentina. They lucky they will not meet Brazil. With all them men in attack so much so all the time, Brazil woulda score about 12 on them on the counter.

THAT TEAM EH GOOD!! IT WILL BE THE SAME IN THE WC!!

Anyway, first time USA play some football, instead of their usual bland robot brand. Maybe, maaaybbe, I can start showing them a little respect.

BIG UP CONCACAF!!!!

Two islands are better than one.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 24, 2009, 03:08:25 PM »
i dvr the game to watch it later and just happen to open espn.com not expecting no football score or nothing.....lo and behold, de say USA beat Spain, Altidore and Dempsey score, waaayyyyyy!
i wish we could be as shitty (and arrogant/confident?)as the US oui.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 24, 2009, 03:08:57 PM »
Steeuups...Spain is ah shit side. Too much small goal. Ah doh know who worse, dem or Argentina. They lucky they will not meet Brazil. With all them men in attack so much so all the time, Brazil woulda score about 12 on them on the counter.

Anyway, first time USA play some football, instead of their usual bland robot brand. Maybe, maaaybbe, I can start showing them a little respect.

BIG UP CONCACAF!!!!

We off to de races ... Spain is a shit side. Hmm.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 24, 2009, 03:09:51 PM »
Uhmmmmm I tell people from a couple years now........ The sates aint no walk over and they are definately top team in Concacaf!

Try tellin dat to Costa Rica.

People have extremely short memories yes.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 24, 2009, 03:11:15 PM »
When i said the U.S. is ah big team ppl say ah was crazy!! now look.

i real scared for brazil, but on the other hand dunga is ah far better tactician than bradly.

i'm not suprised! the U.S. played like they always do, with real hustle, urgency and with blood in their socks!! that's what ah like about them, they does leave every thing on the field!!

show the world concacaf could compete with the best of them. Go concacaf !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upon what evidence?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 24, 2009, 03:11:54 PM »
The US is going to be tough for whoever they play in the final.

Bet yuh dey get 4 in dey pweffen on Sunday.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 24, 2009, 03:12:13 PM »

i real scared for brazil, but on the other hand dunga is ah far better tactician than bradly.

i'm not suprised! the U.S. played like they always do, with real hustle, urgency and with blood in their socks!! that's what ah like about them, they does leave every thing on the field!!

show the world concacaf could compete with the best of them. Go concacaf !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, don't get carried away now. Bout you rel scared for Brasil. steupsssssssssss
Like you now start watching brazil or what?? as ah brazilian fanatic who watching brazil since 1973 when the great revalinho and reynaldo donned the yellow and blue, brazil does always win the hard games and choke on the easy ones.

plus i have all right to be scared, remember, egypt and spain just got shutt the fack out, and them two teams is real big time dominatant teams. i believe brazil could win , but they have tuh get past S.A. first.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 24, 2009, 03:14:27 PM »

Upon what evidence?

You not serious. Which team hit the World Champions three goals to nil?

Now Bradley is a genius and he better than Dunga.

::)

Fact is Spain was not Spain today. Whole day they looked like shit.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 24, 2009, 03:17:15 PM »

BIG UP CONCACAF!!!!

They have great players, and that will get you far most of the time, but when everybody serious about winning and matching their pace, that small goal crap can't win. This is my prediction for the WC............THEY WILL CHOKE AGAIN!!!

Do you realize that with all them men hanging out in the last third of the field in front USA goal, they eh really get a good look at goal? Only one setta scramble...small goal ting nah....like how we always use to score we goals.

Brazil, if them make it past SA woulda rest bout 20 on them.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: June 24, 2009, 03:17:29 PM »
It sure beats what Spain will have you and your team swallowing on Wednesday!

Keep coming with those brilliant predictions, Mango Chump!

They're like gold!

:rotfl:

I sure will.  usa is still a shit side, no matter how many sporadic "big" victories y'all get.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 24, 2009, 03:18:37 PM »

Upon what evidence?

It's called being shut down and shut out! ;D

BTW, thank yuh for saving meh some typing with assylum's crazy question.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 24, 2009, 03:21:08 PM »

Upon what evidence?

Toppa, yuh normally lil more discerning than this ... I know where I'm going wid dis ... leh JC respond nah.

The conflation of comparative (not necessarily comparable) results with an inference of a tactical deficit is a simplistic point of departure.

Frankly, Dunga has not yet cemented his tactical credibility. I won't oppose the position that Bradley also has not. What I do argue, is that there is an insufficient basis ...perhaps, even evidence ... to suggest one is more tactically astute than the other.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 03:24:20 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 24, 2009, 03:23:49 PM »
Stats From the Group Stage

Top scorers
Fernando Torres was quickest out of the blocks in the race for the adidas Golden Shoe, with an 11-minute hat-trick in Spain's opening match. However, the Liverpool striker has failed to score in his two subsequent appearances, allowing Luis Fabiano, scorer of a brace against Italy, and David Villa, who has netted in each of La Roja's three fixtures, to claim a share in the lead.
The leaders: Torres, Villa, Luis Fabiano (all 3); Kaka, Zidan, Parker, Rossi (all 2)

Shots on target

Bernard Parker might be just behind Torres, Villa and Luis Fabiano in the scoring charts, but the South Africa forward has proved the tournament's most accurate finisher, working the opposition goalkeeper on no fewer than ten occasions.
The leaders: Parker (10), Villa (7), Giuseppe Rossi (6)

Assists
Left-back Joan Capdevila earned a well-deserved rest for Spain's final group match after setting up three of La Roja's six goals against New Zealand and Iraq. With joint-leader Mohamed Aboutrika's tournament now over, Capdevila enters the semi-finals in pole position to be crowned South Africa 2009's top creator.
The leaders: Capdevila, Aboutrika (both 3), Fabregas, Kaka, Elano, Maicon, Masilela (all 2)

Completed passes
With Xavi finally gaining the kind of recognition his midfield mastery has long merited, no-one will be surprised to see that the Spain lynchpin has made more successful passes than any other player. What is truly impressive is that he has made 70 more than his nearest rival!
The leaders: Xavi (229), Pirlo (159), De Rossi (158)

Solo runs

Long renowned as one of the game's most exciting dribblers, Robinho has embarked on more solo runs than anyone else at South Africa 2009. Rivals include the predictable - Kaka - and the more surprising: full-backs Maicon and Capdevila and a midfielder, Xavi, more famous for his passing than dribbling.
The leaders: Robinho (12), Xavi, Maicon, Joan Capdevila (all 10), Jasim, Kaka (both 9)

Completed crosses

Idolised in his Egyptian homeland, Mohamed Aboutrika showed with three assists and nine successful crosses why his creative talents are considered to be without equal in Africa. Landon Donovan, on seven, is the best-placed of the candidates still involved in the tournament.
The leaders: Aboutrika (9), Donovan (7), Elliott, Pirlo (both 5)

Tackles
Mohamed Shawky, Egypt's combative central midfielder, was a colossal figure throughout their South Africa 2009 campaign, but with the Pharaohs heading home, the hosts' Sibonsio Gaxa must be favourite to claim the title of top tackler.
The leaders: Shawky, Gaxa (both 9), Ali Kareem (7), Gilberto Silva, Hussein Rehema, Parker, DeMerit, Gomaa, Juan (all 6)

Saves

Tim Howard was so busy in USA's opening two matches that, even after sitting out their final Group B fixture against Egypt, he still comfortably tops the save count. His three nearest rivals have all been eliminated, but with deputy Brad Guzan having kept a clean sheet against the Pharaohs, the greatest threat to Howard could come from within.
The leaders: Howard (17), El Hadary, Kassid (both 15), Moss (14)

Distance covered

USA monopolise the podium when it comes to South Africa 2009's hardest-working players, and Bob Bradley has particular reason to be proud of his son and star midfielder, who has covered an average of over 12 kilometres per match. Incidentally, the best-placed Spaniard in these standings, Xavi, lies a lowly 37th, underlining the European champions' ability to let the ball do the work.
The leaders: Bradley (36,426 metres), Dempsey (34,855), Donovan (34,263)

Top speed
Steven Pienaar, the hosts' star midfielder earned the tag of South Africa 2009's quickest player with a top speed of 31.66 km/h, leaving him just ahead of Brazilian wingback Andre Santos.
The leaders: Pienaar (31.66 km/h), Andre Santos (31.60), Emad Mohammed (31.59)

Fouls suffered
Nashat Akram endured a frustrating tournament with Iraq and, with 13 fouls committed against him, he was also the most picked-upon player of the group phase.
The leaders: Akram (13), Killen (10), Busquets, Shawky (both 9)

Fouls committed
The tournament's joint-leading scorer, Luis Fabiano is also top of this less illustrious table, which is dominated, perhaps surprisingly, by midfielders and forwards.
The leaders: Luis Fabiano (9), Killen, Dikgachoi, Smeltz, Sibaya (all 8), Shawky, Zambrotta, Abbas (all 7)

Crime count
In what has been a generally well-disciplined tournament, only one player - South Africa's Macbeth Sibaya - collected two cautions during the group stage. USA, meanwhile, will hope to keep all 11 men on the field when they face Spain, something they failed to do in their opening two fixtures.
The leaders: Clark, Kljestan, Al Muhamadi (1 red card), Sibaya (2 yellow cards)

Offside

Staying onside is clearly a skill Katlego Mashego has yet to master. Despite playing just 47 minutes so far, the South Africa forward has been flagged offside six times - an average of once ever 7.8 minutes!
The leaders: Mashego (6), Luis Fabiano (4), Villa, Abdelghani, Zidan, Zahra (all 3)
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 24, 2009, 03:25:21 PM »

Upon what evidence?

Toppa, yuh normally lil more discerning than this ... I know where I'm going wid dis ... leh JC respond nah.

The conflation of comparative (not necessarily comparable) results with an inference of a tactical deficit is a simplistic point of departure.

???
www.westindiantube.com

Offline tsingh

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: June 24, 2009, 03:29:30 PM »
Wow ... is ah good thing i ent bet yes ... ah woulda be looking for crix and blueband tomorrow!

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 24, 2009, 03:31:32 PM »

Upon what evidence?

Frankly, Dunga has not yet cemented his tactical credibility. I won't oppose the position that Bradley also has not. What I do argue, is that there is an insufficient basis ...perhaps, even evidence ... to suggest one is more tactically astute than the other.

All you have to do is compare Brazil's WC qualifiers with that of the US. I believe they recently beat Uruguay 4-0 IN Uruguay?

Didn't Brazil with the Copa America under Dunga? Mannersing the clear favourites Argentina in the final?

I can't believe you typed that under seriousness. You're comparing Bradley to Dunga and saying there's an insufficient basis to say which one is a better tactician? Brazil plays in South America, dear...the US plays in CONCACAF...

Don't forget that Brazil made Italy look like a joke.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 03:33:12 PM by Toppa »
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 24, 2009, 03:31:55 PM »
Wow ... is ah good thing i ent bet yes ... ah woulda be looking for crix and blueband tomorrow!

www.westindiantube.com

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 24, 2009, 03:31:57 PM »
"In any game of football you have to fight to win and you can always lose, and our semi-final against USA will be no exception. That’s why I don’t want to hear any talk of a Spain-Brazil final."

- Spain coach Vicente del Bosque (pulled from FIFA's website)

BIG UP CONCACAF!!!!

They have great players, and that will get you far most of the time, but when everybody serious about winning and matching their pace, that small goal crap can't win. This is my prediction for the WC............THEY WILL CHOKE AGAIN!!!

Do you realize that with all them men hanging out in the last third of the field in front USA goal, they eh really get a good look at goal? Only one setta scramble...small goal ting nah....like how we always use to score we goals.

Brazil, if them make it past SA woulda rest bout 20 on them.

Leh me say, I viewed from the 45' to the 61'. Right now, I'm waiting to hear someone wonder out loud whether del Bosque is a tactical genius relative to Bradley :devil:

I don't disagree that Spain and WC 2014 are likely to be disappointing ... had they won today, it would still be an uphill battle ...winning the Cup would have positioned them differently, but let's not lose sight of the fact that this is a team in transition post-Aragones.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 24, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »

Upon what evidence?

well then US was not de US when Costa Rica beat dem either
US looked like shit against costa rica
costa rica is not de euro champs
costa rica didn't have no winning streak going
dis game was not ah US home game
dis game was not played on artificial turf
why is it really so hard for some people to give dem fellahs a lil kudos for dey small achievement jed, yuh would tink de US is Nazi germany...sigh!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 24, 2009, 03:39:51 PM »

You have de balls to say yuh woulda be lookin' for BOTH?!?!   ;D 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 24, 2009, 03:41:50 PM »
It appears that Spain is going back to the underachieving ways. But lets be serious, Bradley made his team played a tactically sound game.Play tight defence and counter attack with speed and precision. I saw the 1st 20 mins. Spain had more possesion and more chances, but the US defended well and looked dangerous when they attack. This is good for our region. It means that the Caribbean teams have to raise their level of play. The better the US becomes, we will have to follow suit.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 24, 2009, 03:44:55 PM »

Upon what evidence?

Toppa, yuh normally lil more discerning than this ... I know where I'm going wid dis ... leh JC respond nah.The conflation of comparative (not necessarily comparable) results with an inference of a tactical deficit is a simplistic point of departure.

Breds weh yuh want meh tuh do, give yuh ah comprehensive analysis ?? well that could take all day, but i'll tell yuh what, i'll give yuh ah summery.

dunga took ah bunch of no name players, blanking the stars like ronaldinho, adriano, kaka, roberto carlos, zee roberto and won the copa america against argentina's top players, he also took brazil from playing fancy show boat football to hard core run yuh into the ground tip top fitness scoring against the run of play with the run of play while still looking pretty football.

he also have brazil in the top position of comebol qualifying, and he's defeated italy in style while neutralizing their offence, and ripping down their defence( the toughest in the world), plus they gave the U.S. ah lesson in football. give the man his props! he ah damn good tactician.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 03:49:32 PM by just cool »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 24, 2009, 03:45:59 PM »

Upon what evidence?

All you have to do is compare Brazil's WC qualifiers with that of the US. I believe they recently beat Uruguay 4-0 IN Uruguay?

Didn't Brazil with the Copa America under Dunga? Mannersing the clear favourites Argentina in the final?

I can't believe you typed that under seriousness. You're comparing Bradley to Dunga and saying there's an insufficient basis to say which one is a better tactician? Brazil plays in South America, dear...the US plays in CONCACAF...

Plenty apples and oranges.

I am very familiar with SA qualification ... However, I would caution against reading too much into where Brazil is now. I am a Brazil fan ... when Dunga was struggling with Tata Martinez, Bielsa, Rueda/Lara and Sixto Vizuete and couldn't beat Bolivia at home in de same qualifiers, where was this Dunga the superior tactician?

BTW, read the article I posted above re: Gilberto Silva.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 03:48:26 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 24, 2009, 03:46:41 PM »

Upon what evidence?

well then US was not de US when Costa Rica beat dem either
US looked like shit against costa rica
costa rica is not de euro champs
costa rica didn't have no winning streak going
dis game was not ah US home game
dis game was not played on artificial turf
why is it really so hard for some people to give dem fellahs a lil kudos for dey small achievement jed, yuh would tink de US is Nazi germany...sigh!
Why you so emotional? Yuh navel string bury in the US or wha? Who not giving them their props?

The gap between Spain and the US is too huge for it to be compared to any game in CONCACAF.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: June 24, 2009, 03:48:10 PM »

Upon what evidence?

I am very familiar with SA qualification ... However, I would caution against reading too much into where Brazil is now. I am a Brazil fan ... when Dunga was struggling with Tata Martinez, Bielsa, Rueda/Lara and Sixto Vizuete and couldn't beat Bolivia at home in de same qualifiers, where was this Dunga the superior tactician?

Oh, so now it's apples and oranges? So how else is one supposed to assess which coach is the better tactician but to look at the results they get? Yuh not making sense.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 24, 2009, 03:49:58 PM »

You have de balls to say yuh woulda be lookin' for BOTH?!?!   ;D 

www.westindiantube.com

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 24, 2009, 03:51:36 PM »
Hmmm, how much credit should Jorginho get?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 24, 2009, 03:53:20 PM »

Upon what evidence?

Oh, so now it's apples and oranges? So how else is one supposed to assess which coach is the better tactician but to look at the results they get? Yuh not making sense.

Painfully aware of it ...

On the basis of the assessment JC has rendered ... and you are subscribing to ... Aragones is/was the world's tactical guru, and del Bosque his heir ...

Do consider, results can be illusory.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 03:58:15 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 24, 2009, 03:54:43 PM »

Upon what evidence?

Painfully aware of it.

No scene...as long as yuh aware.
www.westindiantube.com

1]; } ?>