March 28, 2024, 02:55:02 PM

Author Topic: Confederations Cup Thread  (Read 120466 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: Confederations Cup Thread
« Reply #660 on: June 25, 2009, 08:11:10 AM »
how Chelsea reach in this?

barcelona outpossessed chelsea over the 2 legs (like they did to every other side they played all season). As for who played the better game in each leg and over the course of the 2 legs; well that will always be a matter of opinion.

in the grand scheme of things, possession don't really count for anything other than bargaining rights in playstation. its about what you do with the ball when you have it. A team could pass the ball across its back four for minutes on end and lose it as soon as they get anywhere near the opponent's 18 yard box and lose 3-0, as this same barcelona team was doing in the latter stages of Rijkaard's regime.

Anyhow... did not see the game so can't comment on that.

But nevertheless, me eh care who dey beat.... USA is a shit side and it have nutten dat changing my bias where that concerned. :devil:

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: June 25, 2009, 08:18:47 AM »

"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 25, 2009, 08:23:52 AM »
USA beating Spain will be remembered as "The shot that was heard around the world"
Warrior For Life !!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 25, 2009, 08:35:36 AM »

On the most talented but mistake prone defenders on the planet...lawd dis man could sell guns when he ready.

He hadda have some kinda concentration/attention deficit disorder... Never see a man who could do the difficult plays and screw up the routine ones in the same breath more than this fella...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #664 on: June 25, 2009, 08:39:06 AM »
Second half USA played NO FOOTBALL whatsoever. They parked all of City Gate and Morvant Taxi Stand in fron the goal.

When Chelsea did that against Barca, it was genius though....  :P

What ever you say. Check the possession stats from that game.

Ah rite, ah rite, ah geh yuh point ,Spain win de 'possession' cup while USA gone thru tuh de finals ,big up to Spain at least they eh goin home empty handed  ::)....Now check de goals 'stats' from de game ,dais wha yuh shud always look at becuz at de end of the day which ever side leading in dah 'stats' is de winner ..doh care how much fancy pass and flick and or just pure domination of the game , yuh cud possess de ball how much yuh want but if yuh fail tuh put it in de back ah de net yuh cyar win ,plain and simple .If yuh smart yuh wud be teaching yuh daughters team USA future national under 21 prospects dat.....unless is de 'possession' cup yuh trying tuh win   :devil: :devil:
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 25, 2009, 08:50:09 AM »
JDB, Omar and Berris, I glad allyuh men seeing what I seeing cuz I thought I was going mad.

This exact thought was going through my head
"A team could pass the ball across its back four for minutes on end and lose it as soon as they get anywhere near the opponent's 18 yard box and lose 3-0"

Remember in 98 when Jamaica used to pass the ball around the back for an eternity?  They still hold 5 of d best for Batistuta and Co. Possession always has been an overrated stat.

And I couldn't see the clip, but if it is who I think it is...Sergio Ramos, I think he is a terrific player going forward but a poor defender. Your primary role as a defender is to maintain concentration and defend, he doesn't do that. But his skill and potential at the position is almost unparalleled.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 25, 2009, 08:52:38 AM »

On the most talented but mistake prone defenders on the planet...lawd dis man could sell guns when he ready.

He hadda have some kinda concentration/attention deficit disorder... Never see a man who could do the difficult plays and screw up the routine ones in the same breath more than this fella...

i always find his problem is that he too talented for his own good, or he thinks hes alot better than he really is and that interferes with his judgement..

that is why sometimes its better when your defenders lacking a lil bit in skill yes.. men like that in the back who have touches does get bored.

That is why yuh cyah beat England for their defenders. Ball to swing yuh foot and clear and he want to trap in the 6 yard and look for a pass and end up looking like a tun tun. Ramos always trying to get cute when he should just make the simple play.

Offline danibaby

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 25, 2009, 09:06:56 AM »
Well done USA...

Dont hate, appreciate and emulate.

Get over November 19th...players have come and gone and the USA has a strong squad.

They hardly ever get embarrassed or blown out more than a 2-0 from the top teams in the world.

The next fifa ranking having them beaten Spain, and playing against Brazil, Italy and beating Egypt will shoot them up the rankings...not to mention the last few WCQ.

Why we cannot appreciate that basics, fitness and hard work will reap dividends.

You dont have to like them but respect them.

nail on the head.. rite here

so much trini does dis the USA Team..

Yet still plenty ah we does live here, work and pay taxes, make and bring up children, buy house, travel all over the 50 States etc...

I for one supporting USA to win the Confed. Cup.  That might shut up dem assholes in FIFA who find 3.5 places is too much for concacaf..  :beermug:

Can I just mention to you Sir that after watching this game with a bunch of Americans (more interested in a baseball game replay than this match) that they don't give a rats uncle about the development of football in America or any CONCACAF side other than themselves! This win symbolised NOTHING to them. Did you watch the news? Did you see Jordan's son's decision to stop playing basketball or Shaq's going Cavaliers make more headline than this? Football is an "S" word here reserved for little rich or middle class 10 year old girls. De plenty of we workin', payin taxes, makin and raisin chirren here do so fully aware that had circumstances and economic situations been better at home that's where we'd be. So please excuse us if we don't buy that green cards/citizenship means pledging allegiance to MNT. I have more support for Altidore's because of his Caribbean roots than of the team in general.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: June 25, 2009, 09:24:09 AM »
As the CR9's of the world keep commanding transfer fees of 100m plus they will start paying attention.

Football wasn't paid much attention in the past as it wasn't as highly paid, but that seems to be changing.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #669 on: June 25, 2009, 09:29:09 AM »
Well done USA...

Get over November 19th...players have come and gone and the USA has a strong squad.

They hardly ever get embarrassed or blown out more than a 2-0 from the top teams in the world.

The next fifa ranking having them beaten Spain, and playing against Brazil, Italy and beating Egypt will shoot them up the rankings...not to mention the last few WCQ.

Why we cannot appreciate that basics, fitness and hard work will reap dividends.

Yet still plenty ah we does live here, work and pay taxes, make and bring up children, buy house, travel all over the 50 States etc...

I for one supporting USA to win the Confed. Cup.  That might shut up dem assholes in FIFA who find 3.5 places is too much for concacaf..  :beermug:

Can I just mention to you Sir that after watching this game with a bunch of Americans (more interested in a baseball game replay than this match) that they don't give a rats uncle about the development of football in America or any CONCACAF side other than themselves! This win symbolised NOTHING to them. Did you watch the news? Did you see Jordan's son's decision to stop playing basketball or Shaq's going Cavaliers make more headline than this? Football is an "S" word here reserved for little rich or middle class 10 year old girls. De plenty of we workin', payin taxes, makin and raisin chirren here do so fully aware that had circumstances and economic situations been better at home that's where we'd be. So please excuse us if we don't buy that green cards/citizenship means pledging allegiance to MNT. I have more support for Altidore's because of his Caribbean roots than of the team in general.
How many Trinbagonians give a rat's ass about football in T&T? Ah doh jus mean when things going nice and de bandwagon warm up. How much coverage football does get in de news in T&T? How much of it is accurate? How much of it demonstrates any concern or interest beyond a superficial level of coverage? What's de next round of PFL matches? Anybody showing it?

De vast majority of Trinidadians generally doh give one real ass bout football neither. Ah man in another post went a Tobago Utd game and talk bout de crowds improving cause 50 people show up. But somehow we want to claim some kinda superiority over de US when it come to fandom? And passion? In we passionate cemetery-quiet stadiums? Steups.

Ah guarantee US football fans ain't going to games, asking "Which one is Freddy Adu?"

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: June 25, 2009, 09:37:52 AM »
Well done USA...

How many Trinbagonians give a rat's ass about football in T&T? Ah doh jus mean when things going nice and de bandwagon warm up. How much coverage football does get in de news in T&T? How much of it is accurate? How much of it demonstrates any concern or interest beyond a superficial level of coverage? What's de next round of PFL matches? Anybody showing it?

De vast majority of Trinidadians generally doh give one real ass bout football neither. Ah man in another post went a Tobago Utd game and talk bout de crowds improving cause 50 people show up. But somehow we want to claim some kinda superiority over de US when it come to fandom? And passion? In we passionate cemetery-quiet stadiums? Steups.

Ah guarantee US football fans ain't going to games, asking "Which one is Freddy Adu?"

Yuh talk good talk dey. Iz a setta ah waggonist and johnny come lately fans in T&T.

Online Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 25, 2009, 09:44:21 AM »
Well done USA...

Can I just mention to you Sir...speak for yourself and not de rest ah we, i happen to have american friends who does eat, sleep and, breathe football...which part you living dat is only little rich or middle class into dis sport? (doh worry ah know yuh just generalizing), seriously though breds, you live in your little pocket with your little friends and do yuh thing...and yes i was vex when # 2 or 3 on espn top plays was the foot-save by Howard, # 1 was some baseball play, but dais just de way it is.

doh get me wrong you could support/or not support whomever you want, but don't come on here and and be talking bout taxes and economic situation and green card, and how yuh really doh want to be here and all dat...oh no no i take dat back, keep talking bout all dat so we could know what yuh really all about.

by de way, ah come to work in meh current Brazil jersey today
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline danibaby

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 25, 2009, 10:07:17 AM »
Well done USA...

Can I just mention to you Sir...speak for yourself and not de rest ah we, i happen to have american friends who does eat, sleep and, breathe football...which part you living dat is only little rich or middle class into dis sport? (doh worry ah know yuh just generalizing), seriously though breds, you live in your little pocket with your little friends and do yuh thing...and yes i was vex when # 2 or 3 on espn top plays was the foot-save by Howard, # 1 was some baseball play, but dais just de way it is.

doh get me wrong you could support/or not support whomever you want, but don't come on here and and be talking bout taxes and economic situation and green card, and how yuh really doh want to be here and all dat...oh no no i take dat back, keep talking bout all dat so we could know what yuh really all about.

I'm a female in FL and I started off by speaking on behalf of myself, my experience yesterday and others that do not share the kumbaya love of the US soccer team! I'm sorry but the bandwaggonist issue was not the theme of this thread. Also not everyone shares the love or experiences that you, yuh boy pecan and others have with your adopted homeland and we are entitled to our opinions not so? The same way you wearing the possible competition jersey to work may be seen as a slap in the face to your co-workers it's freedom of opinion. Take yuh time bredda I just telling it from the other side.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 25, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »

the fact that "soccer" is not the biggest spectator sports in the USA doesnt mean that there is not interest there. There are enough people here with european, and latin amertican background to keep the ineterst going.

And women's football is BIG business in the USA...once you get women (mothers, aunts, sisters etc) invloved, look for more kids to take up the game down the road.

Yes, the USA will win the world cup one day, even with "little" interest in the sports.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: June 25, 2009, 10:14:25 AM »
There is alot more football support in the U.S. than many give it credit for...

MLS crowd sizes are good by most world standards (15-30 thousand per game).

A-Legue crowd sizes are decent as well (a bit less than 10 thousand per game).

That's alot of people watching football on a weekly basis, and it doesn't include TV viewership...

There is also a ton of non professional football being played around the U.S. at different age groups...

Also you have to consider that football competes with other sports that have a longer history and greater financial backing and marketing...

The U.S. is massive & diverse.... it's not T&T which has a "small town" vibe in the sense that everything concerning Trinidad on the world stage brings the country to a halt.... The U.S. is also more used to success in sports on the world stage so it will take alot more to garner excitement here (there are no nat'l street parades in the U.S. for an olympic sliver medallist for example).  

Football isn't and may never be a way of life like it is in many countries in South America, Africa & Europe where the sport is ways & means for hope and joy amongst other social and economic challenges... but taking all things into consideration, it does well here as far as support and participation is concerned....and it's only getting better.  
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:16:08 AM by kicker »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #675 on: June 25, 2009, 10:26:13 AM »
Second half USA played NO FOOTBALL whatsoever. They parked all of City Gate and Morvant Taxi Stand in fron the goal.

When Chelsea did that against Barca, it was genius though....  :P

What ever you say. Check the possession stats from that game.

I never knew football was won and lost with possession stats.
Games were determined by goals last I checked.
2 - nil is no fluke. That is a deserved win

Yuh wasting your time Marcos. The "goalposts" for what is good football will always change. The word during the Barca-Chelsea games was that despite Barcelona having much more possession, Chelsea had more chances. Never mind they miss the chances (i.e. not that great football after all).

Here the US create chances too and (shocker) actually score goals but now possession is how you evaluate a team's performance. That is the kind of blinkered logic yuh does get from these analysts.

Agree and disagree. I don't think the standard for what is 'good' football changes that much. To be honest, i think the actual goal of teams like the US is to develop players so they can play something like Spain. Until then, they have to effectively use tactics that employ their strengths. I agree that the US deserved to win and they played well..but to me it is understood that "well" really means they played effectively. Spain would probably beat the US 7 out of 10 times playing the same way. Putting 10 men behind the ball and hitting on the counter can work in a one-off, but the US can't beat Spain consistently like that and I doubt Bob Bradley will say that the US football education is done and they are going to perfect that art of 10 men behind the ball (altho in truth, the US played some nice  attacking football in the opining 25 minutes eh). But I think that's why fans and coach's still point to possession..Poor possession is useless, but the right possession means your players run less and and the opposition runs more and lose shape more often. It creates chances and keeps your players relatively fresh which is important over a season or long tournament. Competition stats showed that Michael Bradley, Landon Donavan and Clint Dempsey have run the most miles this tournament. It's the kind of stat that coaches don't actually want. Good possession football helps with that. So the US was effective and an inferior team can beat a superior team if they use the right tactics. But over a sustained period, I would bet most teams aspire to playing more than a backs against the wall counterattacking game.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:40:07 AM by Filho »

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 25, 2009, 10:36:46 AM »
Big up to the USA for that win how shocking but that just prove the Concacaf deserve the 3.5 places to the World Cup don't think this federation is as weak as a lot of critics thinks...

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #677 on: June 25, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
Agree and disagree. I don't think the standard for what is 'good' football changes that much.

Filho yuh missing the context of my post. I don't think that it changes either.

Kicker was making the point that elan was criticizing the US for negative ball when he was praising Chelsea for their tactical mastery.

Elan then went on to use possession stats as a differenetial between Chelsea nand US in their respective games and I was making the point that elan was critical of possession as a measure of "the better team" back then but he is using it as a measuring stick now.

Hence the "moving goalposts" comment.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 25, 2009, 10:40:19 AM »
good post filho.
I think you hit the nail on the head with "useless possession", which is what I was alluding to.
The main problem with playing a defensive-minded, counter-attacking style is the inherent risk of allowing your opponents to attack you repeatedly.
But if you have figured a way to neutralize your opponent's attack effectively, then allowing them to maintain "useless possession" doesn't really present that much of a risk, and you can afford to sit back knowing you are going to win the ball and swiftly create an opportunity on the other end.

So possession itself isn't really a measure of good play.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 25, 2009, 10:40:38 AM »
Agree and disagree. I don't think the standard for what is 'good' football changes that much.

Filho yuh missing the context of my post. I don't think that it changes either.

Kicker was making the point that elan was criticizing the US for negative ball when he was praising Chelsea for their tactical mastery.

Elan then went on to use possession stats as a differenetial between Chelsea nand US in their respective games and I was making the point that elan was critical of possession as a measure of "the better team" back then but he is using it as a measuring stick now.

Hence the "moving goalposts" comment.

ok..cool.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 25, 2009, 10:54:43 AM »
BTW what are the odds Brazil throw the game today just so they can fulfil the dream match up and cut Spain @$$?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 25, 2009, 10:58:06 AM »

Agree and disagree. I don't think the standard for what is 'good' football changes that much. To be honest, i think the actual goal of teams like the US is to develop players so they can play something like Spain. Until then, they have to effectively use tactics that employ their strengths. I agree that the US deserved to win and they played well..but to me it is understood that "well" really means they played effectively. Spain would probably beat the US 7 out of 10 times playing the same way. Putting 10 men behind the ball and hitting on the counter can work in a one-off, but the US can't beat Spain consistently like that and I doubt Bob Bradley will say that the US football education is done and they are going to perfect that art of 10 men behind the ball (altho in truth, the US played some nice  attacking football in the opining 25 minutes eh). But I think that's why fans and coach's still point to possession..Poor possession is useless, but the right possession means your players run less and and the opposition runs more and lose shape more often. It creates chances and keeps your players relatively fresh whihc is important over a season or long tournament. Competition stats showed that Michael Bradley, Landon Donavan and Clint Dempsey have run the most miles this tournament. It's the kind of stat that a coaches don't actually want. Good possession football helps with that. So the US was effective and an inferior team can beat a superior team if they use the right tactics. But over a sustained period, I would bet most teams aspire to playing more than a backs against the wall counterattacking game.

I agree with what you're saying but I think JDB was being facetious in saying that the standard measurement for good football changes...(i.e. for those who inconsistently praise possession/parking the bus for the sake of their own bias - a la Elan).

If we lose with no brand, we'll complain that we couldn't string three passes together...if we defend for dear life with no knock and squeeze out a result, we showed good heart....if we knock all over a side and lose, we'll say we were better than that sh*t side with no brand, but in the same breath we'll complain that we like too much pretty football and we's play too much small goal....If we knock all over a side and win, no complaints.

Online Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 25, 2009, 11:18:26 AM »
Well done USA...

I'm a female in FL and I started off by speaking on behalf of myself, my experience yesterday and others that do not share the kumbaya love of the US soccer team! I'm sorry but the bandwaggonist issue was not the theme of this thread. Also not everyone shares the love or experiences that you, yuh boy pecan and others have with your adopted homeland and we are entitled to our opinions not so? The same way you wearing the possible competition jersey to work may be seen as a slap in the face to your co-workers it's freedom of opinion. Take yuh time bredda I just telling it from the other side.

My humblest apologies (Madam) for not realizing you are of de fairer sex....i'm a huge advocate of everyone having their own opinion and people could like whatever player and team dey want, but like ah say before, is always ah fight down wid de US team, i find (my opinion again) without justification, dis is ah touchy subject though and it will always have people who see it one way and others who it differently.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 25, 2009, 12:06:48 PM »
BTW what are the odds Brazil throw the game today just so they can fulfil the dream match up and cut Spain @$$?

lol slim to none...

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 25, 2009, 12:17:48 PM »
Well done USA...

Allyuh always demeaning the US team and we ketchin' we nenen to beat them.  It is obviously not the most popular sport in the country.  Baseball, football and basketball have long had a strong hold on the sports fan; but with 300 million people, many of which are immigrants of soccer crazy countries, we will be left in the dust until we change our attitudes to planning and playing this beautiful game.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 25, 2009, 12:41:30 PM »
Dey booing de white man?
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 25, 2009, 12:46:55 PM »
South Africa looking good.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 25, 2009, 12:49:08 PM »
Dey booing de white man?

No his name is Boothe...

When he gets the ball they scream "Boothe!!!!!"

Both teams looking nice and crisp- Brazil marginally better.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 25, 2009, 12:49:43 PM »
Dey booing de white man?

No his name is Boothe...

When he gets the ball they scream "Boothe!!!!!"

Both teams looking nice and crisp- Brazil marginally better.

lol..

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 25, 2009, 12:50:46 PM »

Agree and disagree. I don't think the standard for what is 'good' football changes that much. To be honest, i think the actual goal of teams like the US is to develop players so they can play something like Spain. Until then, they have to effectively use tactics that employ their strengths. I agree that the US deserved to win and they played well..but to me it is understood that "well" really means they played effectively. Spain would probably beat the US 7 out of 10 times playing the same way. Putting 10 men behind the ball and hitting on the counter can work in a one-off, but the US can't beat Spain consistently like that and I doubt Bob Bradley will say that the US football education is done and they are going to perfect that art of 10 men behind the ball (altho in truth, the US played some nice  attacking football in the opining 25 minutes eh). But I think that's why fans and coach's still point to possession..Poor possession is useless, but the right possession means your players run less and and the opposition runs more and lose shape more often. It creates chances and keeps your players relatively fresh whihc is important over a season or long tournament. Competition stats showed that Michael Bradley, Landon Donavan and Clint Dempsey have run the most miles this tournament. It's the kind of stat that a coaches don't actually want. Good possession football helps with that. So the US was effective and an inferior team can beat a superior team if they use the right tactics. But over a sustained period, I would bet most teams aspire to playing more than a backs against the wall counterattacking game.

I agree with what you're saying but I think JDB was being facetious in saying that the standard measurement for good football changes...(i.e. for those who inconsistently praise possession/parking the bus for the sake of their own bias - a la Elan).

If we lose with no brand, we'll complain that we couldn't string three passes together...if we defend for dear life with no knock and squeeze out a result, we showed good heart....if we knock all over a side and lose, we'll say we were better than that sh*t side with no brand, but in the same breath we'll complain that we like too much pretty football and we's play too much small goal....If we knock all over a side and win, no complaints.

seems like yuh mixing perspectives here: fan's vs. coach's. what coach get hired to build a brand? a brand is more of a fan percept. ah doubt a coach looking at brand.

1]; } ?>