March 29, 2024, 08:01:16 AM

Author Topic: Confederations Cup Thread  (Read 120505 times)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Confederations Cup Thread
« Reply #960 on: June 29, 2009, 06:27:17 AM »
Seleçao comeback ends U.S. dream

Clint Dempsey sobbed as the Americans walked up to get their second-place medals, unable to hide the pain and the disappointment any longer.

The euphoria of knocking off Spain last week dissolved Sunday in the Confederations Cup final when Brazil unleashed its "Beautiful Game."

After dominating the five-time World Cup champions in the first half, the Americans were powerless as Brazil scored three goals in the final 45 minutes to rally for a 3-2 win.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: June 29, 2009, 06:56:53 AM »

Clint Dempsey sobbed as the Americans walked up to get their second-place medals, unable to hide the pain and the disappointment any longer.

The euphoria of knocking off Spain last week dissolved Sunday in the Confederations Cup final when Brazil unleashed its "Beautiful Game."

After dominating the five-time World Cup champions in the first half, the Americans were powerless as Brazil scored three goals in the final 45 minutes to rally for a 3-2 win.

(continue)

Reality BITES!!! After joy, comes sorrow.  After laughter comes cryter.  Better luck next time. (whenever THAT happens.)

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: June 29, 2009, 07:27:34 AM »

(continue)

Reality BITES!!! After joy, comes sorrow.  After laughter comes cryter.  Better luck next time. (whenever THAT happens.)

I'm proud of my team. They had a great tournament and made it all the way to the final, where they gave Brazil a run for their money. Sent the European Champions packing along the way, too.

Besides, I don't see what you're gloating about. T&T would have gotten dusted by every team in that tournament, and you know it. Try that one on for "reality".
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: June 29, 2009, 08:11:34 AM »
I'm proud of my team. They had a great tournament and made it all the way to the final, where they gave Brazil a run for their money. Sent the European Champions packing along the way, too.

Besides, I don't see what you're gloating about. T&T would have gotten dusted by every team in that tournament, and you know it. Try that one on for "reality".

The U.S. did well.  It's as much as they could realistically expect from the crop of players that they have.  When you compare the personnel,  you have to say that they did well- and they finally got some help from the ref for a change lol...In the end the better team won, and yuh really have to tip your hat to Brazil for showing the patience & quality to claw back 3 (4  ;D) goals in 45 mins. 

The glaring difference between a good solid outfit like the States and a World contender like Brazil is the manner in which they shift into 5th gear.  At the highest level of US intensity, it's a gritty, scrappy leave it all on the field style of play where they're literally fighting for every yard...and where they are more likely to lose that shape and balance, and eventually get caught out (or run out of steam whichever comes first)...When a team like Brazil takes it up a notch (Spain as well though they were unlucky not to score), they are better are maintaining a fluid cohesive team performance with every thing executed at a higher level of intensity.  There was a point in the game (roughly 10 mins before half time) where it was almost like Brazil said "ok let's take it up a notch"...and from that point on, they were playing at a higher level than the U.S. could deal with, and because it's more of a balanced collective shift in gears, they're still able maintain their shape and not get too caught out...they literally won everything in the middle of the field, to the point where B.Bradley had to take out Altidore, and crowd the midfield with Klejstan deep in the 2nd half to even have a shot at maintaining the ball and staying in the game. 

That difference is a reflection of the quality (physically but more technically) of individual players...player for player, the States was outmatched...Hopefully for their sake, with time the U.S. will be able to fill their roster with higher quality players and be able to put games like yesterday's away.  Until then,  teams of the calibre of Brazil, Italy, Argentina etc will most times be "too good" for them...Still a step in the right direction for U.S. soccer nevertheless... no doubt about that- they should be quite proud of what they did in this tournament. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 08:13:10 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: June 29, 2009, 09:57:19 AM »
ah know harkes is a ah bottom eh but ah wasn't expecting dat from de other fellah, even after dey show de replay, which left no doubt dat the ball was over de line, dem fellahs still wouldn't admit it was ah goal nah.
If it was USA that scored it, they woulda talk ah lot of sh*t. I am sooo happy Brasil win.
        So what,Argentina won a WC on a handled ball and did not admit it until umteen years after,nobody eh redicule/hate them for that,why all yu don't cool yourselves.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: June 29, 2009, 10:42:40 AM »

(continue)

What game was this author watching? USA played well but brazil created alot more chances than them in the first half, but didnt score. USA got there two chances and took it. What i like Brazil for is that first half and second half...tactics aint change..same brand ah ball they play. only difference between first and second half was the brazilian goals and their intensity. nothing else!! :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: June 29, 2009, 11:08:34 AM »

The U.S. did well.  It's as much as they could realistically expect from the crop of players that they have.  When you compare the personnel,  you have to say that they did well- and they finally got some help from the ref for a change lol...In the end the better team won, and yuh really have to tip your hat to Brazil for showing the patience & quality to claw back 3 (4  ;D) goals in 45 mins. 

The glaring difference between a good solid outfit like the States and a World contender like Brazil is the manner in which they shift into 5th gear.  At the highest level of US intensity, it's a gritty, scrappy leave it all on the field style of play where they're literally fighting for every yard...and where they are more likely to lose that shape and balance, and eventually get caught out (or run out of steam whichever comes first)...When a team like Brazil takes it up a notch (Spain as well though they were unlucky not to score), they are better are maintaining a fluid cohesive team performance with every thing executed at a higher level of intensity.  There was a point in the game (roughly 10 mins before half time) where it was almost like Brazil said "ok let's take it up a notch"...and from that point on, they were playing at a higher level than the U.S. could deal with, and because it's more of a balanced collective shift in gears, they're still able maintain their shape and not get too caught out...they literally won everything in the middle of the field, to the point where B.Bradley had to take out Altidore, and crowd the midfield with Klejstan deep in the 2nd half to even have a shot at maintaining the ball and staying in the game. 

That difference is a reflection of the quality (physically but more technically) of individual players...player for player, the States was outmatched...Hopefully for their sake, with time the U.S. will be able to fill their roster with higher quality players and be able to put games like yesterday's away.  Until then,  teams of the calibre of Brazil, Italy, Argentina etc will most times be "too good" for them...Still a step in the right direction for U.S. soccer nevertheless... no doubt about that- they should be quite proud of what they did in this tournament. 

Good assessment, kicker. I agree with all of it.

Brazil just has too many weapons and we could only hold out for so long. You see the difference when the teams go to the bench for subs; Brazil brings on Elano and Daniel Alves, while the USA brings on Jonathan Bornstein and Conor Casey. We definitely have slim pickens by comparison.
- Xavi

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 29, 2009, 11:20:45 AM »
What game was this author watching? USA played well but brazil created alot more chances than them in the first half, but didnt score. USA got there two chances and took it. What i like Brazil for is that first half and second half...tactics aint change..same brand ah ball they play. only difference between first and second half was the brazilian goals and their intensity. nothing else!! :beermug:

I think you blinded by bias to not see that for the majority of the first half the US looked better.  The 2-0 lead would also suggest they were the better first half side.  They didn't dominate 45 minutes but they controlled the majority of the first half.  BTW I eh no USA fan so it eh no fanboy talk needa!!

As for not changing anything you must be drunk.  The introduction of Elano allowed for Maicon to stay back closer to half line more often (thus negating the opportunity for the US to counter attack on their left where Maicon often vacated) than constantly attacking the flank and crossing it in.  The introduction of Alves allowed for dual flank attacks which was hardly seen in the first half.  The few times Brazil used the left flank in the first half almost always involved Robinho.  In the second half Robinho came inside a bit more.  So to say "only difference between first and second half was the brazilian goals and their intensity. nothing else!!" either mean you eh watch de match an jus glad as either a US hater or Brazil fan, or yuh watch an eh kno wha yuh was watchin.

In the end Brazil asserted themselves strongly in the second half and their talent and class overpowered the US.  That opening minute goal in the second half destroyed the US composure.  Bit by bit you could see the shape of their defense crumbling as Brazil upped their level of play.  Great game for the neutral and great result for the Brazil fans.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:22:29 AM by Flickin Killa »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: June 29, 2009, 11:39:10 AM »
So what,Argentina won a WC on a handled ball and did not admit it until umteen years after,nobody eh redicule/hate them for that,why all yu don't cool yourselves.

They did?

Which World Cup was that?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 29, 2009, 11:44:41 AM »

I think you blinded by bias to not see that for the majority of the first half the US looked better.  The 2-0 lead would also suggest they were the better first half side.  They didn't dominate 45 minutes but they controlled the majority of the first half.  BTW I eh no USA fan so it eh no fanboy talk needa!!

As for not changing anything you must be drunk.  The introduction of Elano allowed for Maicon to stay back closer to half line more often (thus negating the opportunity for the US to counter attack on their left where Maicon often vacated) than constantly attacking the flank and crossing it in.  The introduction of Alves allowed for dual flank attacks which was hardly seen in the first half.  The few times Brazil used the left flank in the first half almost always involved Robinho.  In the second half Robinho came inside a bit more.  So to say "only difference between first and second half was the brazilian goals and their intensity. nothing else!!" either mean you eh watch de match an jus glad as either a US hater or Brazil fan, or yuh watch an eh kno wha yuh was watchin.

In the end Brazil asserted themselves strongly in the second half and their talent and class overpowered the US.  That opening minute goal in the second half destroyed the US composure.  Bit by bit you could see the shape of their defense crumbling as Brazil upped their level of play.  Great game for the neutral and great result for the Brazil fans.

The U.S. were better in the first half by virtue of goals (goals are afterall the be all and end all of the game).  In terms of the run of play/flow of the game they didn't control most of the half- no way.  Possession stats were always in favor of Brazil, shots & and shots on goal on both sides of half time, from what I remember were in favor of Brazil and Howard had to get down quite a few times with some very crucial, and not-so-straightforward saves to keep it clean in the 1st.  I could remember 4 good saves off the top of my head in the 1st half (Santos, Robinho, Melo & Maicon each tested him).  

Other than the two goals, the U.S. exploited some spaces, buzzed around the Brazilian area occasionally and caused one or two shaky moments particularly off set pieces...but they didn't really force any difficult saves out of J.Caesar from what I remember, nor did they dictate the pace of the game.  Howard was the busier of the two keepers in the first half (unless we're talking about picking the ball out of the net  ;D)...so I think that's where Fordy is coming from...I agree with Fordy that dominate is a misleading to describe the US performance in the 1st half.  The U.S. dominated the scoreboard in the 1st half by being effective, they played with good energy and gave a good account of themselves.  In terms of how the game went, Brazil never truly looked out of it though and to say that the U.S. controlled the game is a bit of stretch (though of course you can argue that the biggest controlling factor is the score which is where you might be coming from).  The American commentary was fairly one-sided, and the soccernet articles are somewhat misleading in my opinion.

Tactically I agree with you Dunga made some adjustments... To the untrained eye, Elano change was definitely a tactical switch, Kaka played with greater width and Lucio played higher up the field as well in the 2nd half.  
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:52:01 AM by kicker »

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 29, 2009, 12:06:36 PM »

The U.S. were better in the first half by virtue of goals (goals are afterall the be all and end all of the game).  In terms of the run of play/flow of the game they didn't control most of the half- no way.  Possession stats were always in favor of Brazil, shots & and shots on goal on both sides of half time, from what I remember were in favor of Brazil and Howard had to get down quite a few times with some very crucial, and not-so-straightforward saves to keep it clean in the 1st.  I could remember 4 good saves off the top of my head in the 1st half (Santos, Robinho, Melo & Maicon each tested him).  

Other than the two goals, the U.S. exploited some spaces, buzzed around the Brazilian area occasionally and caused one or two shaky moments particularly off set pieces...but they didn't really force any difficult saves out of J.Caesar from what I remember, nor did they dictate the pace of the game.  Howard was the busier of the two keepers in the first half (unless we're talking about picking the ball out of the net  ;D)...so I think that's where Fordy is coming from...I agree with Fordy that dominate is a misleading to describe the US performance in the 1st half.  The U.S. dominated the scoreboard in the 1st half by being effective, they played with good energy and gave a good account of themselves.  In terms of how the game went, Brazil never truly looked out of it though and to say that the U.S. controlled the game is a bit of stretch (though of course you can argue that the biggest controlling factor is the score which is where you might be coming from).  The American commentary was fairly one-sided, and the soccernet articles are somewhat misleading in my opinion.

Tactically I agree with you Dunga made some adjustments... To the untrained eye, Elano change was definitely a tactical switch, Kaka played with greater width and Lucio played higher up the field as well in the 2nd half. 

And in the end these are the things that changed the way the game flowed.  I agree with what you express overall but nothing says control more than the scoreboard.  Notice I didn't use dominate to describe the US lead.  I said looked better because despite the amount of shots and possession, Brazil had nothing to show while the US scored twice.  The second goal was almost picture perfect execution and showed where Brazil can be exploited with their style of play.  Still the US team has nothing to be sad about as they gave a very good acounting of themselves as the competition progressed.  Sure they got demolished in their first 2 games but many big teams look like shit in early rounds of competitions often so I don't use that to measure team quality during any campaign.  Last WC I remember having conversations with various people I met in Germany that swore france wouldn't make it out of the group stage and look.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: June 29, 2009, 12:53:56 PM »

They did?

I am open for correction but didn't Argentina defeat England on a handled ball that scored and went on to win that WC?may be i have things mixed up,any how all i'm trying to say here is let the people bask in their glory it's a first time for them,nobody expected this.

Offline Lifeisgood

• Jr. Warrior
  • Lively Up Yourself!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: June 29, 2009, 01:46:05 PM »
Lifeisgood I understand all about why people doh like USA coz after 89 I hated the bastards more than any place on earth but I came to my senses.I honestly feel that it would be a great fillip for USA to beat Brasil on Sunday.
For too long CONCACAF been treated like the CINDERELLA of the football world,even Asia get treated better.I now back all CONCACAF teams no matter who they play,I even back Jamaica when they play outside of the CONCACAF.I want our teams and players to be taken seriously and that will happen when CONCACAF START BEATING UP TEAMS OUTSIDE THE REGION.I dont understand the hero worship that the South Americans get when man kick 2 good ball, while our players play their bollocks off and dont get anywhere.One day when we beating people regular we players will be accepted.Nuff said!
Frico - well said sah...sorry I am now getting back to this. I agree, Concacaf gets very little respect and until.....(everything you said).....will get none.

I am just not ready to see the US carry the Concacaf flag...cyar back dem.  Waay too arrogant...have you seen and heard quotes of their players and coaches, when discussing their smaller Concacaf counterpart nations?  So we must respect them and pull for them..when it is not reciprocated? ... You think the american die-hard fan would give a rats a%% if Haiti was playing England?  They rootin for England patna!... So fire bun fi dem..

The universe has return to its rightful standing. Overhyped Brazil showed their class yesterday and IMO showed that they are the best in the world.  Even down 0-2, they did not necessarily change the way they play..they just played with a little more purpose...came out of 2nd gear as they say.  It could have been 6-0 at half ..and I think Brazil would have won the game 7-6.  That is the beauty of Brazil, never got flustered (a la Spain), they just kept playing..and yuh see.  As I said earlier for the sake of the Beautiful game..Brazil needed to deliver...because if not it any team that play a fit-corbeaux brand (a la US)  could go on a lucky run.  In 5 yrs we will all forget that the US came 2nd in this tournament (thank goodness)

Until US soccer becomes less classist -- they will only develop the occasional "good" team.  For a nation with so many international influences, there should be way more minorities playing ..but because competitive youth soccer is so expensive, you cut down your talent pool tremendously, because kids/families can't afford it.  The ones that can, act like they are the best..not based on talent, but on mom and dads bank account. 

:beermug: :beermug:
Never be afraid ....
To turn over your uncertain Future
..to our certain God.

Love one another.  Life is not a dress rehearsal.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: June 29, 2009, 01:59:42 PM »
Frico - well said sah...sorry I am now getting back to this. I agree, Concacaf gets very little respect and until.....(everything you said).....will get none.

I am just not ready to see the US carry the Concacaf flag...cyar back dem.  Waay too arrogant...have you seen and heard quotes of their players and coaches, when discussing their smaller Concacaf counterpart nations?  So we must respect them and pull for them..when it is not reciprocated? ... You think the american die-hard fan would give a rats a%% if Haiti was playing England?  They rootin for England patna!... So fire bun fi dem..

The universe has return to its rightful standing. Overhyped Brazil showed their class yesterday and IMO showed that they are the best in the world.  Even down 0-2, they did not necessarily change the way they play..they just played with a little more purpose...came out of 2nd gear as they say.  It could have been 6-0 at half ..and I think Brazil would have won the game 7-6.  That is the beauty of Brazil, never got flustered (a la Spain), they just kept playing..and yuh see.  As I said earlier for the sake of the Beautiful game..Brazil needed to deliver...because if not it any team that play a fit-corbeaux brand (a la US)  could go on a lucky run.  In 5 yrs we will all forget that the US came 2nd in this tournament (thank goodness)

Until US soccer becomes less classist -- they will only develop the occasional "good" team.  For a nation with so many international influences, there should be way more minorities playing ..but because competitive youth soccer is so expensive, you cut down your talent pool tremendously, because kids/families can't afford it.  The ones that can, act like they are the best..not based on talent, but on mom and dads bank account. 

Is not really the expense that deters most yuh know.  Not saying it's cheap but the whole setup is designed for stay at home parents or those who have ah guardian to watch their children after school.  My son turning 5 and at 3 we was looking into the camps and leagues (might be premature for some) and we get to realize that there are 1. hardly any in or close to urban areas in this city and 2. they are mostly weekdays at times ranging from 1-3pm.  so it cut out all the working class people with children who interested or even show signs of natural telent that come from middle class family homes.

Offline Lifeisgood

• Jr. Warrior
  • Lively Up Yourself!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: June 29, 2009, 02:09:51 PM »

Good assessment, kicker. I agree with all of it.

Brazil just has too many weapons and we could only hold out for so long. You see the difference when the teams go to the bench for subs; Brazil brings on Elano and Daniel Alves, while the USA brings on Jonathan Bornstein and Conor Casey. We definitely have slim pickens by comparison.
Zeppo, you seem like a reasonable fella, with a love for the game..and no matter what you backin your side - the US.  I respect that.  

The US got carried away yesterday IMO - in that emotion rather than tactics, took front yesterday.  The coaching staff must bear the brunt of the criticism yesterday for blowing the 2 goal lead.  Which is like blowing a 20pt lead in the 4th qrtr of a bball game.  IMO the US should have sit Clark right in front of the back 4, in the 2nd half and played Donovan and Dempsey in more defensive/possession minded roles...play through them.  Instead, they continued to play relatively wide open and tried to attack, the way they opened the game.

1) Maicon had as many if not more touches on the ball than any other Brasil player in the tournament - move a player like Davies out there in the 2nd half, to contend with him.  Maicon IMO was the most valuable player for Brazil (after Fabiano ..goals win matches)
2) Sit Clark "in the hole" to protect the back 4, if he won it - play 2-3 football..link with the outside mid or center fwd, who would hold the ball with his back to the goal.  (Altidore should have never come off)
3) Get your playmakers on the ball - I would have given Donovan more freedom to be disruptive on the defensive end, to help you win possession, an be an outlet for the backline.  

Bottom line - more discipline was needed on the defensive side of the ball.  Maicon was allowed too much freedom in the 2nd half.  The Americans got greedy ..and may have actually thought.."hey we scored 2 goals against a "suspect" Brazil defense..let's blow them out"....the coaching staff did not make the necessary adjustments.  I am not saying to just go into a shell..play yuh football ..but you have to take something away from what the other team is trying to do.  Limit Maicon, crowd Kaka and 'Binho - let other players beat you.  
Never be afraid ....
..to our certain God.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: June 29, 2009, 02:17:31 PM »
GREAT job USA!!! Excellent achievement. Brazil had to fight for that win. But the USA have gain some VAST experience against some of the TOP teams in the world, Brazil (twice), Spain, Italy, etc. That is why the would ALWAYS be a step ahead in Concacaf and ALWAYS be a force to reckon with!! People could hate all they want, they did a FANTASTIC job to reach the final and make Brazil work they shocks off!!!

Trinidad on the other had is expected to beat the USA? It would not happen, cause they were much more prepared and experienced at international level. USA not ready a man say? Trinidad not READY!!!
Like you have amnesia! so what we did in sept last yr @ the HSC, and we beat dem with charlie davies too.

if latas stay on as coach for another two yrs , we will beat any team in concacaf. right now the football game so tight that it doh really have much dominant teams in the world like before.

you must remember that pancho off set the team and put us back ah few yrs, now latas have tuh rebuild and off set his doings. it may be too late for the WC thanx to jack and pancho, but i feel we could do some damage in the yrs to come.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Lifeisgood

• Jr. Warrior
  • Lively Up Yourself!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 29, 2009, 02:30:33 PM »

Is not really the expense that deters most yuh know.  Not saying it's cheap but the whole setup is designed for stay at home parents or those who have ah guardian to watch their children after school.  My son turning 5 and at 3 we was looking into the camps and leagues (might be premature for some) and we get to realize that there are 1. hardly any in or close to urban areas in this city and 2. they are mostly weekdays at times ranging from 1-3pm.  so it cut out all the working class people with children who interested or even show signs of natural telent that come from middle class family homes.
I hear yuh..but my experience to date is this.  I currently coach a U18 team that has been reasonably successful over the last 4 yrs.  The team was formed to get exposure for the players, and hopefully scholarships to play college ball.  Over the 4 yrs - just the team fees alone, averaged $1500 a yr...add to that the travel to the major tournaments..where the college coaches are... 3 nights in a hotel plus meals... 4 major tournaments....the cost adds up.  

I have a 10 yr old that is showing signs of becoming a player - I coached his side as well over the last 2 yrs... so we got a break in team fees and obviously he is not at the age for attending "college showcases".  Now he has said he wants to play at a higher level and so we have to go to one of the big clubs in the state - I will not be coaching..so there is no "break".  We are looking at a $1200 bill for a U11 (academy team)!  -- this is to cover coaches, turf field rental, uniform..etc  Then you introduce supplimental training and Olympic Development programs etc....I could go on.

So yes, cost is an issue because it will not get any cheaper as he develops.  However, it is an investment in his future..if coupled with good grades - a must if there is to be any football - be can get scholarship money to pay for his college education ...then it is win-win..so players and parents must decide from a relatively early age in the US...is football for fun or is it a means to an end??  

Never be afraid ....
..to our certain God.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: June 29, 2009, 02:32:55 PM »
Lifeisgood I understand all about why people doh like USA coz after 89 I hated the bastards more than any place on earth but I came to my senses.I honestly feel that it would be a great fillip for USA to beat Brasil on Sunday.
For too long CONCACAF been treated like the CINDERELLA of the football world,even Asia get treated better.I now back all CONCACAF teams no matter who they play,I even back Jamaica when they play outside of the CONCACAF.I want our teams and players to be taken seriously and that will happen when CONCACAF START BEATING UP TEAMS OUTSIDE THE REGION.I dont understand the hero worship that the South Americans get when man kick 2 good ball, while our players play their bollocks off and dont get anywhere.One day when we beating people regular we players will be accepted.Nuff said!

so when yuh say minorities, yuh mean black people right? not mexicans/west indians/central americans/south americans/etcs.....who exactly yuh mean does act like dey is de best, the boys themselves or de parents....doh get meh wrong yuh, i imagine posting based on your experiences and reality right, but as ah man who see it different it just interesting to me, mustbe whey ah living.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Lifeisgood

• Jr. Warrior
  • Lively Up Yourself!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: June 29, 2009, 02:47:34 PM »

so when yuh say minorities, yuh mean black people right? not mexicans/west indians/central americans/south americans/etcs.....who exactly yuh mean does act like dey is de best, the boys themselves or de parents....doh get meh wrong yuh, i imagine posting based on your experiences and reality right, but as ah man who see it different it just interesting to me, mustbe whey ah living.
No sah ... my comment is not limited to black people... if it was, I would have said ("More black people") ... and yes, all I can speak of is from my experience.  I have been coaching in the US north east for the last 10 yrs..and could count on one hand, how many "minority" coaches, I have coached against.  90% of the players we have played against are non-minorities..  why is that?  My team plays at a high level, at highly regarded tournaments and leagues...and this is the mix of coaches / players that I have seen. 

My point is that how is it for a US national team, that the national mix is not better represented?  Things may be different in your neck of the woods, but here..the fellas that could afford, generally rise to the top. 

Now we could get into the discussion about how SOME minorities spend their money,the priorities they set and their planning for the future.  Is it a case of spending on XBox and Jordans, over signing up scholar-athlete Johnny in a sports program that could help pay for his future education?  ???
Never be afraid ....
..to our certain God.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: June 29, 2009, 02:52:36 PM »

They did?

I am open for correction but didn't Argentina defeat England on a handled ball that scored and went on to win that WC?may be i have things mixed up,any how all i'm trying to say here is let the people bask in their glory it's a first time for them,nobody expected this.

Yuh right Coops....It was in Mexico in '86, the famed "hand of god" vs England....
Arimian to meh heart

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: June 29, 2009, 03:04:34 PM »
I hear yuh..but my experience to date is this.  I currently coach a U18 team that has been reasonably successful over the last 4 yrs.  The team was formed to get exposure for the players, and hopefully scholarships to play college ball.  Over the 4 yrs - just the team fees alone, averaged $1500 a yr...add to that the travel to the major tournaments..where the college coaches are... 3 nights in a hotel plus meals... 4 major tournaments....the cost adds up.  

I have a 10 yr old that is showing signs of becoming a player - I coached his side as well over the last 2 yrs... so we got a break in team fees and obviously he is not at the age for attending "college showcases".  Now he has said he wants to play at a higher level and so we have to go to one of the big clubs in the state - I will not be coaching..so there is no "break".  We are looking at a $1200 bill for a U11 (academy team)!  -- this is to cover coaches, turf field rental, uniform..etc  Then you introduce supplimental training and Olympic Development programs etc....I could go on.

So yes, cost is an issue because it will not get any cheaper as he develops.  However, it is an investment in his future..if coupled with good grades - a must if there is to be any football - be can get scholarship money to pay for his college education ...then it is win-win..so players and parents must decide from a relatively early age in the US...is football for fun or is it a means to an end??  

Plenty issues with this ting in troot oui.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 29, 2009, 03:23:13 PM »
No sah ... my comment is not limited to black people... if it was, I would have said ("More black people") ... and yes, all I can speak of is from my experience.  I have been coaching in the US north east for the last 10 yrs..and could count on one hand, how many "minority" coaches, I have coached against.  90% of the players we have played against are non-minorities..  why is that?  My team plays at a high level, at highly regarded tournaments and leagues...and this is the mix of coaches / players that I have seen. 

My point is that how is it for a US national team, that the national mix is not better represented?  Things may be different in your neck of the woods, but here..the fellas that could afford, generally rise to the top. 

Now we could get into the discussion about how SOME minorities spend their money,the priorities they set and their planning for the future.  Is it a case of spending on XBox and Jordans, over signing up scholar-athlete Johnny in a sports program that could help pay for his future education?  ???

What you fellas are talking about is a familiar and often discussed topic.  There are definitely socio-economic divides at play that could be potentially hurting youth development here in the U.S. - but considering that 5 of the starting XI for the U.S. yesterday were non-white players, (Howard, Onyewu, Clark, Altidore & Davies)...and another 5 non-white players (Adu, Beasley, Wynne, Torres & Robles) were on the bench, the minority representation on the current U.S. team compared to minority % of the US population would suggest a fair amount of integration.

I think the U.S. could more benefit from a different form of flare & expression on the field often associated with players from the lower socio-economic classes than a mere racial integration of it's US MNT roster. 

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #982 on: June 29, 2009, 03:24:02 PM »
Waay too arrogant...have you seen and heard quotes of their players and coaches, when discussing their smaller Concacaf counterpart nations?
Yes. And they sound like us when we discuss the same. In fact, I think they have more respect for us than we have for St. Kitts and Nevis. Kenwyne call de qualifiers against Bermuda practice matches in de press. But nah, de US arrogant.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 03:28:28 PM by Cool Beans »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: June 29, 2009, 04:04:43 PM »

What you fellas are talking about is a familiar and often discussed topic.  There are definitely socio-economic divides at play that could be potentially hurting youth development here in the U.S. - but considering that 5 of the starting XI for the U.S. yesterday were non-white players, (Howard, Onyewu, Clark, Altidore & Davies)...and another 5 non-white players (Adu, Beasley, Wynne, Torres & Robles) were on the bench, the minority representation on the current U.S. team compared to minority % of the US population would suggest a fair amount of integration.

I think the U.S. could more benefit from a different form of flare & expression on the field often associated with players from the lower socio-economic classes than a mere racial integration of it's US MNT roster. 

I'd add Bocanegra, who is Hispanic, as are Torres and Robles. Lifeisgood's experience seems like the norm in most parts of the US. It's been a well publicized criticism of US soccer at the grass roots level, but there have been some changes and there is an organized effort to make the sport more accessible to all. Today's US team is far more mixed than the teams of 10-15 years ago.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: June 29, 2009, 04:17:07 PM »

I'd add Bocanegra, who is Hispanic, as are Torres and Robles. Lifeisgood's experience seems like the norm in most parts of the US. It's been a well publicized criticism of US soccer at the grass roots level, but there have been some changes and there is an organized effort to make the sport more accessible to all. Today's US team is far more mixed than the teams of 10-15 years ago.

theres something else that comes to my mind...if it weren't for immigrants coming into the US, football or so called soccer wouldnt be the same. if you were to take away the immigrants coming into the US then i think the US wouldve ended up like India or China. immigrants are breathing life into US soccer...and maybe one day US would become one of the elite football nations
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #985 on: June 29, 2009, 04:44:36 PM »
theres something else that comes to my mind...if it weren't for immigrants coming into the US, football or so called soccer wouldnt be the same. if you were to take away the immigrants coming into the US then i think the US wouldve ended up like India or China. immigrants are breathing life into US soccer...and maybe one day US would become one of the elite football nations

I don't know what's your point, but when immigrants came the US, football was the last thing on their minds - they came to avoid religious persecution, famine, poverty or were shackled as slaves - not play football. Immigrants have changed the faces of all professioanl sports in the US: Football, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer etc - and it would be impractical to say that the US would have ended up like India or China because while the indigenous people of India and China by and large make up almost all of their population, the Native Americans make up only a small minority in the US .... and get this - Sunil Gulati (Indian) is the head of US Soccer.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: June 29, 2009, 06:55:18 PM »
OK so meh radar finally find this championship nice comeback Brazil because all yuh know all yuh could not go back to Rio if dem Yanks did beat all yuh.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 29, 2009, 08:32:27 PM »
Of all the people who saying that T&T players have poor first touch, I eh hear any of them point out how many times the Brazilian players showed poor first touch during that last game. Who else notice that?
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: June 29, 2009, 08:35:14 PM »
Of all the people who saying that T&T players have poor first touch, I eh hear any of them point out how many times the Brazilian players showed poor first touch during that last game. Who else notice that?
That wasn't poor touch, that was the vuvuzela. And they hotel get rob too!
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 29, 2009, 08:38:03 PM »

(continue)

You may be right about that one but at least we know we place.   Like I read here, anyone can put 10 men behind the ball.  Did you see how Landon celebrated after he score, pointing to himself say "Me Me"  Did you see any of that crap from Brazil?  :)  Even in the interviews after the game Zeppo coach and Landon showed no class.  Acting like if "their" unforced errors "gave" Brazil the game.  scheeeuuupss.  And what dude crying for?  Acting like someone robbed him?  Like they were ever expected to win.   Acting like a spoiled brat again.  No football class whatsoever.  
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

1]; } ?>