April 17, 2024, 10:56:23 PM

Author Topic: FIFA sets TTFA deadline; senior Warriors blank Guadeloupe.  (Read 2933 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
FIFA sets TTFA deadline; senior Warriors blank Guadeloupe.
« on: August 30, 2014, 07:35:12 AM »
By Lasana Liburd (wired868).

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association’s (TTFA) financial woes can go from bad to worse if the local body cannot prove it is fit for business within the next four months.

The FIFA press office informed Wired868 that the TTFA will not be eligible to receive any funding from 1 January 2015 unless it hires a new technical director and implements proper internal financial audits.

All FIFA member associations, including the TTFA, are due an annual subvention of $1.6 million (US$250,000) from the global football body providing they prove that their associations are being run properly.

At present, the TTFA does not have a technical director after Anton Corneal quit in April over unpaid salaries. TTFA general secretary Sheldon Phillips invited applications for the vacant post in June and promised to announce an appointment by mid-July 2014. However, the post remains unoccupied.

The TTFA financial committee, which is chaired by football president Raymond Tim Kee, is yet to hold a single official meeting since he took office. Tim Kee is also the Port of Spain mayor and PNM treasurer.

FIFA vowed not to offer any leniency to the TTFA or any other poorly run football association in 2015.

“According to the General Regulations for the FIFA Development Programmes (article 3.1.2), a member association or a confederation, in order to be eligible to receive programme funds, must employ a general secretary as well as a technical development director to take charge of the programmes,” a FIFA spokesman told Wired868. “Generally speaking, since 2013, FIFA has been promoting a regular exchange with its member associations regarding the implementation of the General Regulations for FIFA Development Programmes.

“Please note that while the General Regulations for FIFA Development Programmes and the amended FAP Regulations came into force on 1 July, 2013, full compliance with all of their provisions is compulsory for member associations and confederations as of 1 January 2015.”

The Trinidad and Tobago national senior football team’s continues to feel the brunt of the TTFA’s failings in the short term as the “Soca Warriors” scrapped its proposed international friendly against Guadeloupe due to the ongoing financial issues.

Wired868 understands that the senior friendly, which was carded for September 6 at the Dwight Yorke Stadium in Bacolet, was cancelled as the TTFA could not provide guarantees over a pre-match training camp and owed monies to players and staff.

The TTFA instead announced that the national under-20 team will face Guadeloupe instead. The match will now act as the sole international warm-up fixture for the teenagers before next month’s Under-20 Caribbean Championships, which will be staged in Trinidad.

“The game comes at an ideal time for us and will be a great test for the young men,” national under-20 coach Derek King told the TTFA Media.“We’ve been in training for a few weeks well and we’ve had the opportunity to play against some of the pro teams as well as the national under-17 team.

“The boys have progressed quite well and every player is now eager to go into the tournament and give of his best and go on to qualify for the CONCACAF Finals.”

The under-20 team will play Curacao, Suriname and Cuba on September 12, 14 and 16 respectively in Caribbean Football Union (CFU) action at venues to be determined in Trinidad.

In the past week, the Trinidad and Tobago senior women lifted the Caribbean Cup title in Port of Spain while the national under-17 boys advanced from their CFU group in St Lucia.

In both cases, preparation was far from ideal as the senior women began a pre-tournament camp in Houston two weeks late and with roughly half their squad. And the national under-17 team had neither a pre-tournament camp nor international practice matches before it headed to St Lucia.

And Wired868 understands that the logistical issues involved in summoning the senior men—the TTFA’s only fully-professional team—was beyond the capabilities of the present body, which is headed by president Tim Kee and Phillips.

An informed source close to the Warriors, who spoke on condition of anonymity, explained that the TTFA still has not paid match fees to players and staff for their last friendly against Iran on 8 June 2014. The senior men’s team played just twice in 2014 against Argentina and Iran.

It would be difficult for the Warriors to get a reasonable team together without significant financial outlay too, as several Pro League players are away on trials, while the TTFA allegedly could not give assurances about the length of a pre-game camp.

So, noted the insider, what would be the point of a preparation game without any preparation?

And why risk alienating the country’s best players by summoning them to an unprofessional environment?

There are no other FIFA dates left before the Warriors kick off their Caribbean Cup campaign on October 6. So head coach Stephen Hart must either stick to the players he worked with over the past year or risk blooding untested talent at competitive level.

The 2014 Caribbean Cup offers a fascinating and unprecedented first place prize as the winner will earn a spot at the 2016 Copa America tournament alongside the likes of Argentina, Brazil and Colombia.

Cuba is the present defending Caribbean champion, after the Spanish-speaking island recorded an extra time win over the Warriors at the 2012 edition, while Jamaica is the host nation and 2014 tournament favourite.

Last November, Trinidad and Tobago defeated Jamaica in home and away exhibition matches. But, since then, Jamaica played six international games including contests with Serbia, Switzerland, Egypt and France.

And the “Reggae Boyz” have already booked match-ups against Canada and Japan in September and October respectively.

Jamaica will already get a jump on the rest of the Caribbean next year when its team participates in the 2015 Copa America as an invited guest. The Boyz seized the opportunity to rub shoulders with South America’s top nations after Japan and then China declined requests to compete.

If the Boyz win the 2014 Caribbean Cup, Trinidad and Tobago’s great regional rival will keep that South American exposure to themselves for two successive years.

Thus far, little in the Warriors’ preparation suggests that the TTFA is capable of providing its frontline team with the tools to stop them while corporate Trinidad and Tobago continues to keep the local football body at arm’s length.

The TTFA remains vulnerable in court too after failing to fulfil court-sanctioned payments to the 2006 World Cup players and former coach Russell Latapy.

Tim Kee and Phillips can feasibly lose the support of FIFA too within a few months unless they finally come good on their promise to revitalise the renamed football body before the end of the year.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:09:30 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA sets TTFA deadline; senior Warriors blank Guadeloupe.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 09:56:51 AM »
One question: Could we send a fact finding mission to find out how does Haiti get by? How do they financially do it?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 11:30:05 AM »
One question: Could we send a fact finding mission to find out how does Haiti get by? How do they financially do it?

We don't have the money to pay for the trip.  :rotfl:

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 12:09:55 PM »
This doesn't make sense to me. If FIFA have assisted TTFA with the 06 dispute because they know TTFA is broke, how would FIFA expect TTFA to appoint a Technical Director until the money rolls in from January?
Appointing a TD now would push them further into debt and THAT would be poor financial management.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 01:06:24 PM »
The whole TTFA saga is a chicken-egg-catch-22 problem with finances. Really need to bring sponsors in some how some way.

Offline J.Chase

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 03:13:59 PM »
I have it on good authority that this recent story from Mr Liburd is false.
FIFA recently approved $2m USD to the TTFA for multiple programs to get off the ground ...why would FIFA approve that If they also issued a warning?? It makes little sense. I have always been a fan of Lasana but his stuff over the last year seems to come with an agenda. I have quite a few friends working in and around the TTFA and T&T Football and I have been hearing some positive steps since Mr Phillips and Mr Tim Kee took over. Of course it has not been smooth sailing at all times but to think they inherited $28m TT in debt and have paid down $11m in debt this year is impressive with hardly any support from Gov't and Corporate T&T.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 05:19:53 PM »
I have it on good authority that this recent story from Mr Liburd is false.
FIFA recently approved $2m USD to the TTFA for multiple programs to get off the ground ...why would FIFA approve that If they also issued a warning?? It makes little sense. I have always been a fan of Lasana but his stuff over the last year seems to come with an agenda. I have quite a few friends working in and around the TTFA and T&T Football and I have been hearing some positive steps since Mr Phillips and Mr Tim Kee took over. Of course it has not been smooth sailing at all times but to think they inherited $28m TT in debt and have paid down $11m in debt this year is impressive with hardly any support from Gov't and Corporate T&T.

I feel you Chase, but all too often the country has been very poorly served by journalists not going their job and not applying pressure and accountability to those involved. His words are;

The FIFA press office informed Wired868 that the TTFA will not be eligible to receive any funding from 1 January 2015 unless it hires a new technical director and implements proper internal financial audits.

Now why should he disbelieve a source such as this? The obvious follow-up is to investigate the delay in hiring. We've already had a candidate come and gone on the forum.

I was harsher of the TTFA in previous months, but I am taking the increased transparency and involvement with the forum as a positive sign and reserving some more judgement. Lasana Liburd should not and is not taking this approach - a proper journalist always challenges the status quo and those in a position of power. If the TTFA was shitting out rainbows I'd expect to see Liburd and other journalists demanding a proctologist's report and an environmental assessment of light pollution.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »
Okay serious question here, can the TTFA not fundraise? I mean it might not be ideal but it's a start to becoming self-sufficient and it can help the federation grow. Every time I read I feel like we're waiting and depending on $$ when we haven't taken any initiative ourselves.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 07:30:16 PM »
Okay serious question here, can the TTFA not fundraise? I mean it might not be ideal but it's a start to becoming self-sufficient and it can help the federation grow. Every time I read I feel like we're waiting and depending on $$ when we haven't taken any initiative ourselves.

Ent, they always waiting on handouts.

Try a thing nah.

Imagine, bring a top team to play and get a sell out stadium.

300x 20,000= 6 million.

They could afford to bring Brazil, Argentina, England or Italy with that.

Try a thing nah.

Them waiting on a next man to fix they home.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 07:41:24 PM »

Ent, they always waiting on handouts.

Try a thing nah.

Imagine, bring a top team to play and get a sell out stadium.

300x 20,000= 6 million.

They could afford to bring Brazil, Argentina, England or Italy with that.

Try a thing nah.

Them waiting on a next man to fix they home.

Not sure if many big teams would come to T&T. These days, every friendly needs to add value. Travelling this far to play a team outside of the top 30 wouldn't make sense. Nor is there a financial incentive. By the time expenses etc are paid, the English F.A. would be lucky to see TT$1 million. That probably wouldn't pay the players match fees. Instead, they could play Scotland at Wembley and earn 70,000 x 80 pounds. That's TT$56 million plus TV rights, sponsorship, merchandise etc.

Maybe Costa Rica or Panama would be a good match, but it won't fill the stadium.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 08:14:20 AM »
Of course it has not been smooth sailing at all times but to think they inherited $28m TT in debt and have paid down $11m in debt this year is impressive with hardly any support from Gov't and Corporate T&T.

Absolutely, quiet steps have been taken to right the ship... but why should we focus on that?

Lasana Liburd should not and is not taking this approach - a proper journalist always challenges the status quo and those in a position of power.

A "proper journalist" is impartial and able to give credit where it is due.  Lasana has allowed his skepticism to cloud his objectivity.  Once a journalist loses his objectivity then his credibility soon follows.  It has become clear that there is a growing chorus of voices questioning Lasana's credibility, which for him is unfortunate because for a very long time his was the only voice asking questions of the old TTFF.

There are initiatives being taken, they are either not being heard, or when heard, they're overlooked.  I'm sure that not everything can be revealed while in development, but as we see with the Joma sponsorship, and earlier this year with the sponsorship deal that fell through, efforts are being made.  I don't know why people keep acting as though the TTFA is just sitting there waiting for this windfall to land in their laps.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 11:19:40 AM »

Lasana Liburd should not and is not taking this approach - a proper journalist always challenges the status quo and those in a position of power.

A "proper journalist" is impartial and able to give credit where it is due.  Lasana has allowed his skepticism to cloud his objectivity.  Once a journalist loses his objectivity then his credibility soon follows.  It has become clear that there is a growing chorus of voices questioning Lasana's credibility, which for him is unfortunate because for a very long time his was the only voice asking questions of the old TTFF.

Not sure where this "chorus of voices" is - yours and Horner's are the only ones I've seen voicing this concern. Regardless, I'm not seeing the impartiality here - the article seems very measured, drawing on information from the FIFA Press office, facts revealed by the TTFA, and an 'insider'. What in this article do you take issue with in particular?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 11:24:25 AM »
By Lasana Liburd (wired868).

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association’s (TTFA) financial woes can go from bad to worse if the local body cannot prove it is fit for business within the next four months.

It would be interesting to know more about this situation.  I have my doubts as to whether Lasana had any conversation with the "FIFA Press office, with regards to FIFA concerns about the TTFA." I suspect rather that Lasana took boilerplate language that apply to all FIFA federations and make it seem as though FIFA had specific concerns about fiscal management and compliance issues under Tim Kee and Phillips.  I hope I'm wrong, but if my suspicions are true, then this would be simply unacceptable behavior by Lasana.  Such malicious reporting would only serve to undermine the TTFA, and sabotage them in the eyes of corporate sponsors, at a time when we should be as supportive within reason, as possible.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 11:39:25 AM »
Not sure where this "chorus of voices" is - yours and Horner's are the only ones I've seen voicing this concern. Regardless, I'm not seeing the impartiality here - the article seems very measured, drawing on information from the FIFA Press office, facts revealed by the TTFA, and an 'insider'. What in this article do you take issue with in particular?

You are a Johnny-come-lately. I suggest you pontificate less and educate yourself some more.  If you were to read the comments to the articles on the Wired868 website you would see some of what I'm referring to.  Instead you try to create some tenuous link between myself and Horner, who has decidedly NOT been critical of Lasana's treatment of the TTFA, since it also suits his agenda to undermine Tim Kee and Phillips.  This is where both your observation and analytical skills are lacking, that you would bring Horner into the equation.  Not only that, but in this very thread there was another comment made in question of Lasana's reporting.  This in addition to others of late, including this comment from right before the start of the CFU Championship three weeks ago:

Las,

Why don't you focus your attention on Sportt and MOS on why they don't give long term funding for the National teams, both youth and senior?

Everyone knows the TTFA broke but I tired reading of the same angle... they don't have any money. They have no sponsors and no long term support from Gov't and only getting a percentage of funding they request for teams to go on Tour etc... Maybe it's time to give Sheldon and the TTFA a break lol ? I can only imagine how tough it is to try to pay for visas with no money etc etc

Change it up...it getting a bit old

Mind you this was a thread in which you, as per usual, were all over the discussion ready to respond, seemingly for the sake of responding.  Yet you claim ignorance of this growing chorus of voices.  You have two eyes and one mouth for a reason.  As I said, read more (for comprehension) and talk less.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 03:26:08 PM »

You are a Johnny-come-lately.

As per usual, the ad hominems - the last resort of the mentally bankrupt.

I suggest you pontificate less and educate yourself some more.  If you were to read the comments to the articles on the Wired868 website you would see some of what I'm referring to.  Instead you try to create some tenuous link between myself and Horner, who has decidedly NOT been critical of Lasana's treatment of the TTFA, since it also suits his agenda to undermine Tim Kee and Phillips.  This is where both your observation and analytical skills are lacking, that you would bring Horner into the equation.  Not only that, but in this very thread there was another comment made in question of Lasana's reporting.  This in addition to others of late, including this comment from right before the start of the CFU Championship three weeks ago:

I read the comments, I don't see it in the way you see it. You insult instead of argue frequently Bakes. Why are you so insecure? When will you learn some manners and stop being such an insufferable git?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 03:28:58 PM by Tiresais »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 11:49:17 AM »

You are a Johnny-come-lately... it hasn't even been a year since you started posting on this forum.  If I called you a 'man' would that also be an ad hominem attack?

I read the comments, I don't see it in the way you see it. You insult instead of argue frequently Bakes. Why are you so insecure? When will you learn some manners and stop being such an insufferable git?

Quoting you above:  "As per usual, the ad hominems - the last resort of the mentally bankrupt." 

Said also by the same hypocrite who was calling me a troll in another discussion yesterday.  And this is precisely why I treat you with contempt and ridicule.  You are quick to fire off at the mouth, when found out, you then try and deflect and remonstrate.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:50:59 AM by Bakes »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 09:32:07 AM »

You are a Johnny-come-lately... it hasn't even been a year since you started posting on this forum.  If I called you a 'man' would that also be an ad hominem attack?

Quoting you above:  "As per usual, the ad hominems - the last resort of the mentally bankrupt." 

Said also by the same hypocrite who was calling me a troll in another discussion yesterday.  And this is precisely why I treat you with contempt and ridicule.  You are quick to fire off at the mouth, when found out, you then try and deflect and remonstrate.

Is that a mirror you have before you Bakes? Your lack of manners is legend, and ability to degrade discussion into insults an embarrassing stain upon your forum record.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 10:01:08 AM »
Is that a mirror you have before you Bakes? Your lack of manners is legend, and ability to degrade discussion into insults an embarrassing stain upon your forum record.

Please don't waste your time whining about my supposed lack of "manners" or "stain" on this or that.  That is of no consequence to me.  You probably don't even realize what an ass you're sounding like.  Focus instead on what's being discussed in the thread and how like you, Lasana is quickly losing credibility for his failure to look past whatever his differences with the subjects of his articles, and focus instead on the substance of the same.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 10:47:57 AM »

Well you can add my voice to the list. While I haven't previously said anything Lasana's articles on the TTFA issues are beginning to give the impression that he has a vendetta against the organization. He seems to be painting the current administration with the same brush as the previous, and while they do have problems I think it's not a fair comparison. And I'm sure many would agree.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 09:28:50 AM »

I swear your brain does work in slow motion oui.  So you feel is only on this forum people know about or read LLs pieces?

1]; } ?>