March 28, 2024, 05:34:13 PM

Author Topic: If kenwayne Jones was English  (Read 14374 times)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: If kenwayne Jones was English
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2009, 10:52:14 AM »
Dred at real madrid Owen had 18 starts, 13 goals
Daz ridiculous stats

OK I'll conceed that but he had some 30+ appearances (starts included)  so in the end the numbers will say he flopped.  Men basing KJs quality on numbers no?

Jai KJ does work harder than any forward that wears the RWB and if anyone say no they either don't really watch the games or fooling themselves.  He is the only ST that runs after defenses.  Stern doesn't, Scotty doesn't, Glen doesn't and the others haven't been seen enough to know if they will consistently chase after defenders trying to knock the ball around in their half.  Heskey is a workhorse I will admit which is why I like him as a player but I think KJ has it in him.  Remember Heskey works hard as does Rooney so the comparison when you factor in who KJ is partnered with will always be in favor of Heskey/ Rooney.

Filho the overall numbers will show that based on total appearances he did not measure up to his Liverpool stats.  It's purely numbers and not subjective so unless you want to change the numbers apps v starts is absolutely irrelivant.  The numbers are there for all to see.  We constantly measure KJ by the lack of production in our team and sometimes even for Sunderland but when you use just numbers only you'll find that our argument about his quality is grossly exagerated and out of context (similar to the Owen comparison)

no worries killa. we just disagree on Owen and we looking at the stats differently. for me, 13 goals in 18 starts is a more fair measure than total appearances. it is a better proxy for goals per minute on the field...which i find statistically more relevant than goals per appearance..especially since many appreances were as a sub at the end of a game. you can argue that if he'd been better, he should have started more games. but having watched the season unfold, it was pretty clear Raul was getting the benefit of the doubt as the senior player. you'd be hardpressed to find a RM fan who say Owen flopped or 'sucked' as you said, even if you just look at the stats. 13 goals is 34 total appearances is still very good output. he was in the top 10 goalscorers in La Liga and it's even better considering that RM had Ronaldo that season with 21 goals. It is very rare and a superb achievement for a team's 2nd striker to hit double figures. anyhow..his goals per total appearances at RM is still comparable to that at Liverpool (lower, but still comparable)...definitely not enough to say he 'sucked'.

like I said we just disagree. to be honest..I don't see how anyone would agree that those stats suck. as for KJ...look at my post and you'd see where i coming from. not one to bash de man for his stats..which improved over this season. I'm also not one to just look at stats in and of themselves. respect  :beermug:

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2009, 10:54:48 AM »
KJ need to play with a striker and a coach he can learn from.
He has not improved since he moved to Sunderland.

Oh yeh, fork England.

Not true at all.  He looked very good under Keane in the first year and showed some promise when he returned from injury. Sbragia helped him regress to some extent once he took over.

He looked even better for Southampton.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2009, 11:03:36 AM »

Oh yeh, fork England.

Not true at all.  He looked very good under Keane in the first year and showed some promise when he returned from injury. Sbragia helped him regress to some extent once he took over.

I doh think so especially considering the tougher competion in the Prem, but we don't all see the same things.

Filho the Owen point is not a true representation of my personal feelings.  It is an exagerated look at numbers which is what is often done when critiquing KJ.  Nowhere in most criticisms is there any mention of the type of competition he faces, the fact that he's often double teamed and of course the lack of quality service.  Believe me we share similar perspectives somewhat.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2009, 11:15:37 AM »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2009, 11:43:09 AM »

Oh yeh, fork England.

I doh think so especially considering the tougher competion in the Prem, but we don't all see the same things.

Filho the Owen point is not a true representation of my personal feelings.  It is an exagerated look at numbers which is what is often done when critiquing KJ.  Nowhere in most criticisms is there any mention of the type of competition he faces, the fact that he's often double teamed and of course the lack of quality service.  Believe me we share similar perspectives somewhat.

yeah..i realize where you coming from.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2014, 08:17:56 AM »
Given his recent form and should he maintain his scoring touch do you think we would see Mr. Jones being picked up by a team in the EPL this season?

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2014, 09:20:59 AM »
I hope he gets a move.  The EPL always has worse strikers than KJ. He certainly is doing his part to be noticed.  His work rate and strike rate are up.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2014, 09:50:53 PM »
Given his recent form and should he maintain his scoring touch do you think we would see Mr. Jones being picked up by a team in the EPL this season?

Why bounce around? Achieving consistency where he is could prove more beneficial in the medium to long-term.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2014, 10:26:27 PM »

Why bounce around? Achieving consistency where he is could prove more beneficial in the medium to long-term.

Well, an extra 10,000 quid per week would be one reason!

1]; } ?>