April 28, 2024, 09:02:50 AM

Author Topic: Vuvuzelas  (Read 28314 times)

Offline xixgon

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Vuvuzelas might yet be banned from World Cup
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2010, 08:19:45 PM »
Vuvuzelas might yet be banned from World Cup

By Ryan Bailey - Yahoo! Sports

For those who don't ride on the crest of every Internet-football-hot-topic wave, the unrelenting foghorn-esque noise you have heard at World Cup games is produced by an instrument known as a vuvuzela -- a three-foot-long plastic trumpet traditionally blown throughout games to create an atmosphere. However, by pumping out sound up to 130 decibels -- 10 decibels above the human pain threshold -- they also are associated with causing hearing loss and communication problems on the pitch.

Some 20 years after being introduced to the game in the early 1990s, the instrument came to prominence on the world stage during the 2009 Confederations Cup. TV stations were upset by the "goat being slaughtered" timbre, while players complained that they couldn't hear themselves think over the din. "It doesn't allow you to concentrate and it's unbearable," Spanish player Xabi Alonso said at the time. FIFA head honcho Sepp Blatter, however, pooh-poohed calls to ban the vuvuzela for World Cup 2010, insisting that we should not attempt to "Europeanize" the African tournament.

As expected, the vuvu has caused quite a kerfuffle at WC 2010 thus far. The drone has been giving TV networks and commentators grief, and FIFA General Secretary Jerome Valcke has reportedly toyed with the idea of handing out free earplugs in stadiums to avoid the barrage of lawsuits from the newly hard of hearing.

World Cup organizing committee head Danny Jordaan addressed the issue Sunday, and refused to rule out a ban. From the AFP:

"We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or during stadium announcements. I know it's a difficult question," he added, saying that "we're trying to manage the best we can.

"We heard from the broadcasters and individuals and it's something we are evaluating on an on-going base.

Jordaan told the BBC in an interview that he had to consider the option of banning the trumpets.

"If there are grounds to do so, yes," he said, asked if a ban was an option.

France captain Patrice Evra added fuel to the fire, claiming that the vuvuzela is the reason his side were so awful on Friday night:

"We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6 a.m. We can't hear  one another out on the pitch because of them."

The vuvuzela is clearly much more than an irritating novelty; it's a divisive issue that is threatening the health of fans, affecting the quality of performances and ultimately putting people off of tuning in (will you honestly feel enthused to watch Slovakia vs. Paraguay knowing you'll have to endure 90 minutes of the sound of an angry beehive going through a blender?).

Yet at the same time, Blatter is right (for once) when he says we should not impose Western values on South Africa. A ban would rob the tournament of part of its cultural identity, leaving thousands of locals perplexed: could you imagine being told by an international body that you could no longer drink beer at American football games, or fall asleep during baseball? The South Africans wouldn't take too kindly to having a national institution removed.

As a compromise, perhaps the vuvuzela could be adapted so it isn't quite so loud? Or maybe it could be adjusted to produce a nice noise like the sound of John Mayer gargling honey?

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Re: Vuvuzelas might yet be banned from World Cup
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2010, 08:57:56 PM »
any chance some of that noise-cancellation technology featuring in headphones could be used in the broadcasts to dampen that noise? the signal is fairly regular. they need to work on a john harkes filter one time.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Vuvuzelas might yet be banned from World Cup
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2010, 11:54:55 PM »
Efan Ekoku begged the question duing the broadcast of one of the games on Sunday, if evra would have complained about the vuvuzelas had france won their game.......I wonder if we will hear any complints from any team or team representative if/when they win their games?  All these people that (claim to) have an issue with the thing need to ride out and go to f**k home.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Re: Dutch coach joins chorus to ban vuvuzela
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2010, 12:09:08 AM »
I doh know, but for me, when ah hear that sound, I just associate it with the South African world cup experience, i get used to it...if they take it away, watching the WC in SA would feel strange and different...just my take.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2010, 12:20:56 AM »
I doh know, but for me, when ah hear that sound, I just associate it with the South African world cup experience, i get used to it...if they take it away, watching the WC in SA would feel strange and different...just my take.

Big Up!

All the people who complaining about them is people who just go to the games or sit dong in front dey tv to watch the games like dey is robots.  I hope the South African officials stand firm to any pressure to ban the things. patrice evra come off like a rel lil bitch to me.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2010, 03:50:56 AM »
The thing is that there are plenty of South Africans who can't stand the vuvuzelas either. Just check out that article I posted earlier in the thread. As the writer states, they are not part of a long tradition in the country but rather something that started appearing en masse only in the mid-2000s. And South Africans always had a great tradition of singing songs at games, but now they can no longer be heard.

For me personally, I just tend to naturally tune them out once the game gets started. But I can understand why they might be irritating for the players, broadcasters and other fans in the stadia.

I agree with the sentiment that FIFA should be careful not to try and Europeanize every World Cup. But it wouldn't exactly break my heart if they were to ban them either.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2010, 04:38:02 AM »
I'm not buying the cultural aspect of this controversy... it's not like these are indigenous instruments dating back to pre-colonial times, they probably import these shits at 25 cents a dozen from China and there is very little art or appeal to them.  Trivializing the controversy here fails to take into account that for all the talk FIFA is driven by fan and corporate support.  During the opening game it was so loud that it was difficult at first to hear Martin Tyler and Efan Ekoku during the pre-game ceremonies, and got only marginally better from there on.  I can't even imagine what it's like to sit thru that live and in person.  It's great that we want South Africans to enjoy themselves but had this been a European country I doubt there would be as much sympathy.  If broadcasters and fans are complaining then FIFA has every right to re-visit the issue.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2010, 05:02:45 AM »
I was in favor of the vuvuzela figuring that it was part of the local flavor but after watching the games so far I'm in favor of banning it.

To me it's killing the world cup atmosphere.  The crowd chants, singing, and drums are completely drowned in the vuvuzela drone. You can barely even hear the crowd roar when a goal is scored.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2010, 05:46:59 AM »
Yeah I was one who was all for it.   But nah dem thing noisy no arse!!!....but ah feel FIFA eh goh want to touch this one, so folks enjoy....it real killing the atmosphere for true.  Imagine watching one of these games years down the road, all you would hear is this mindless noise......
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2010, 06:38:34 AM »
That thing downright annoying.  Get rid of that...I want to hear the commentary and hear the roar of the crowd.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2010, 06:59:18 AM »
That thing downright annoying.  Get rid of that...I want to hear the commentary and hear the roar of the crowd.

The crowd have no time to roar when they all blowing!!  :devil:

The only way this vuvuzela craze is going to die out for this SA World Cup is if hives of killer bees swarm down and sting everyone who blowing it and scientist then state that blowing the vuvuzela is a direct signal to killer bees to come and attack you for pretending to be one of them and threatening their esteemed position in the insect world! :D  :party:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:04:00 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline xixgon

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2010, 07:36:49 AM »
There are more reasons to ban them than not to - for the sake of practicality - if not just the overwhelming condemnation.

Thas not even gettin into the issues with the Jabulani ball as well yes :)

giggsy11

« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2010, 08:03:51 AM »

The crowd have no time to roar when they all blowing!!  :devil:

The only way this vuvuzela craze is going to die out for this SA World Cup is if hives of killer bees swarm down and sting everyone who blowing it and scientist then state that blowing the vuvuzela is a direct signal to killer bees to come and attack you for pretending to be one of them and threatening their esteemed position in the insect world! :D  :party:

What crowd; yuh aint hear about all the empty seats? The noise might be doing them a favor.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2010, 08:41:40 AM »
I was cool with vuvuzela in the beginning but I'm starting to switch allegiance.  It's not the mere sound of it that bothers me- I cool with that, but the collective and incessant drone kinda getting old now...  It's neither rhythmic nor melodic and yuh lose the sound of the crowd.  Goal scoring and all yuh could hear is BAWWWWW BAWWWWWW BAWWWWWWW....just like if it was no f**king goal...  Every second of the game is the same monotone shite...  Yuh cyah hear a drum, a trumpet, a chant, a song nuttin....just BAWWWWW BAWWWWW BAWWWWW.  

I understand that it's South African culture, but iz not only South Africa playing in the cup- other cultures deserve to do their thing without being completely drowned out by the vuvuzela...

If they ban it, I wouldn't be sad...especially now since the players are complaining.  
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2010, 08:46:32 AM »
Well the Japanese are trying to beat some drums and get some kinda rhythm going in this one, but geez and ages I eh looking forward to a month of this noise!!!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2010, 08:47:42 AM »
Yeah I was one who was all for it.   But nah dem thing noisy no arse!!!....but ah feel FIFA eh goh want to touch this one, so folks enjoy....it real killing the atmosphere for true.  Imagine watching one of these games years down the road, all you would hear is this mindless noise......

It like Panorama in between d pan only riddum section
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2010, 09:19:07 AM »
We need them Vuvuzelas in T&T.

We have the opposite problem. No noise. Since we play shyte anyway it will mostly affect visiting teams, throw dem off

Bring the Vuvuzelas here

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2010, 11:46:24 AM »
We need them Vuvuzelas in T&T.

We have the opposite problem. No noise. Since we play shyte anyway it will mostly affect visiting teams, throw dem off

Bring the Vuvuzelas here

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2010, 11:51:07 AM »
Allyuh just doh understand how to use de vuvuzelas nah. Look a tutorial.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2010, 11:56:44 AM »
I'm not buying the cultural aspect of this controversy... it's not like these are indigenous instruments dating back to pre-colonial times, they probably import these shits at 25 cents a dozen from China and there is very little art or appeal to them.  Trivializing the controversy here fails to take into account that for all the talk FIFA is driven by fan and corporate support.  During the opening game it was so loud that it was difficult at first to hear Martin Tyler and Efan Ekoku during the pre-game ceremonies, and got only marginally better from there on.  I can't even imagine what it's like to sit thru that live and in person.  It's great that we want South Africans to enjoy themselves but had this been a European country I doubt there would be as much sympathy.  If broadcasters and fans are complaining then FIFA has every right to re-visit the issue.

+1......This is not a cultural issue, nor is it a racial one. People make it seem cultural perhaps because its Africa lol. This is an aesthetics issue. What if the WC was held somewhere else and every fan brought a giant boombox and blared out a loop of someone scratching on a chalkboard? You cant accept something at the expense of the greater good just for 'cultural sake'. You want to host a WC, then welcome everyone by stopping with those damn horns. Even if one argues its cultural does not mean it is necessary and imperative that it be a accepted at the WC.
Hart for president

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2010, 11:57:10 AM »
adapt or go home!

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2010, 12:46:35 PM »
When are they going to ban RACIST chants!  ::)

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2010, 12:55:33 PM »

Big Up!

Very good point.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2010, 01:12:44 PM »
adapt or go home!

:beermug:

Big Up!

WELL SAIDDDDDDDD
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2010, 02:06:25 PM »
adapt or go home!

:beermug:

Big Up!

WELL SAIDDDDDDDD

VERY WELL SAID.  All who doh like it could watch american sports...nice, quiet, boring and intermittent chants of "DE-FENSE!!" (how exciting!)....and the commentary on the television comin' through loud and clear.  When the WC was played in Argentina in '78 the players had to play thorugh constant streams of confettie, toilet paper and damned near as much noise.......nobody complained. 

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2010, 02:24:45 PM »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2010, 04:13:33 PM »
you can get rid of the Vuvuzela noise if you have digital equalizer...Just set up a band-stop filter at 233Hz (with secondaries at 466Hz, 932 Hz and 1864Hz)...

details & Logic set-up (in German) : http://www.surfpoeten.de/tube/

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2010, 04:23:20 PM »
you can get rid of the Vuvuzela noise if you have digital equalizer...Just set up a band-stop filter at 233Hz (with secondaries at 466Hz, 932 Hz and 1864Hz)...

allyuh RPI men eh easy at all nah...

how to drown out Alexi Lalas?
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2010, 04:37:07 PM »

allyuh RPI men eh easy at all nah...

how to drown out Alexi Lalas?

jeezan..........ff :beermug: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: what I go do witout allyuh boy :beermug:

I pity the fool....

1]; } ?>