April 28, 2024, 08:53:52 AM

Author Topic: American Flag Patch on MLS uniforms  (Read 4391 times)

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
American Flag Patch on MLS uniforms
« on: July 16, 2009, 06:36:50 PM »
I noticed that in this season all the American teams in the MLS are wearing the USA flag patch on their sleeves (Toronto wearing the Canadian flag), Whats' up with that, is it a rule, being Patriotic or just want to be different as usual?

Offline NJsTriniGunna

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: American Flag Patch on MLS uniforms
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 07:06:55 PM »
probably a little of both. I think its pointless, but thats just me. I feel like they just trying to make sure when people start buying their team's jerseys, they know what country they play in. *shrugs*

giggsy11

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 07:11:11 PM »
I noticed that in this season all the American teams in the MLS are wearing the USA flag patch on their sleeves (Toronto wearing the Canadian flag), Whats' up with that, is it a rule, being Patriotic or just want to be different as usual?

Dey just want the world to know that the shitty brand of 'soccer' made and played in the great ole US of A! Woopee!

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 07:22:10 PM »
yuh ever wonder who is the dumbass who come up with the idea of putting a Trini flag on an offshore coveralls?

Irrelevant in my opinion, but in US Sports, they use patriotism as an excellent marketing tool. Just recently, for the 4th of July, each team had their own version of their MLB caps with stars and stripes - even if their colours aren't red, white and blue. Besides, with the international and domestic interest in today's game because of the Beckham factor, why not use to opportunity to appeal to all demographics.

NFL and NBA uniforms are highly regulated in what goes on them, as well as what is exposed below them - but they always find ways to encorporate and salute the country during or on National Holidays or other patriotic occassions.

One thing I have noticed, is that like Nascar - MLS will sell ad spaces anywhere, esp on Uniforms. It's not something you see typically in most football leagues worldwide - maybe South America and Mexico are exceptions, but on club football uniforms, there usually isn't alot of sponsor branding.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 07:40:47 PM »
It's their usual "we are the greatest nation in the world and no one from any country is more patriotic than we are" bullshit.......and it sells. 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:41:46 PM »
It's their usual "we are the greatest nation in the world and no one from any country is more patriotic than we are" bullshit.......and it sells. 

they lie?

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 07:44:40 PM »

they lie?

How do you measure patriotism?  When yuh could come up with an instrument to do that then you can answer the question yourself.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 07:53:51 PM »
Patriotism is love or devotion for one's country.

If we're to measure it, to decide who has more patriotism over the other, we could start with one obvious variable: population.

US population is 3rd, only surpassed by a billion more in China, and just under a billion in India.

1]; } ?>