April 19, 2024, 03:53:20 AM

Author Topic: Donovan rips Beckham  (Read 15787 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Donovan rips Beckham
« on: July 02, 2009, 11:32:15 AM »
Always thought Donovan was a Sc**t!

Donovan launches book blast at Beckham

Donovan turned down his own chance to stay in Europe

July 2, 2009

Source: Soccernet.com

David Beckham has come under attack from L.A. Galaxy team-mate Landon Donovan just as he prepares to return for action with the MLS team.

In a new book due out later this month, Donovan claims Beckham has demonstrated little commitment to the Galaxy cause and has been a negative influence on the team since the ousting of former coach Ruud Gullit.

"All that we care about at a minimum is that he committed himself to us," Donovan says in 'The Beckham Experiment', authored by Sports Illustrated writer Grant Wahl.

"As time has gone on, that has not proven to be the case in many ways - on the field, off the field.

"Does the fact that he earns that much more money come into it? Yeah. If someone's paying you more than anybody in the league, more than double anybody in the league, the least we expect is that you show up to every game, whether you are suspended or not. Show up and train hard, show up and play hard."

Donovan, who is the United States captain and wears the Galaxy armband in Beckham's absence, also questioned the former England skipper's leadership abilities, claiming he is too often silent in team meetings.

"Maybe he's not a leader, maybe he's not a captain," he said. "Fair enough. But at a minimum, you should bust your ass every day. That hasn't happened. And I don't think that's too much for us to expect. Especially when he's brought all this on us."

Beckham's first season in MLS was a largely miserable experience. He struggled with injury as an unbalanced Galaxy team struggled all year and missed out on the play-offs, with Gullit quitting before the end of the campaign.

Gullit's departure, which came a little over a month after Beckham's Galaxy debut, is the moment Donovan believes the light went out for the club's marquee player.

"When David first came, I believed he was committed to what he was doing," Donovan said. "He cared. He wanted to do well. He wanted the team and the league to do well.

"Somewhere along the way - and in my mind it coincides with Ruud being let go - he just flipped a switch and said, 'Uh-huh, I'm not doing it anymore'."

Donovan even claimed Beckham is a bad team-mate, because of his lack of commitment.

"He's not shown (he's a good team-mate)," he said. "I can't think of another guy where I'd say he wasn't a good team-mate, he didn't give everything through all this, he didn't still care. But with (Beckham), I'd say no, he wasn't committed."

Beckham pushed for a loan move to AC Milan in January, and then extended it to the point that he missed half of the 2009 MLS season. That served as evidence that he does not care for the league, according to Donovan, who gave up his chance to play in Europe early in his career in order to stay at home.

"My sense is that David's clearly frustrated, that he's unhappy and, honestly, that he thinks it's a joke," he said. "I also kind of feel (he has taken the team) for granted. I don't see dedication or commitment to this team, and that's troubling."

Beckham is due to make his return for the Galaxy against the New York Red Bulls on July 16, two days after Wahl's book is due to be published.

He will line up alongside Donovan in that game, but the striker does not want that to be the case for much longer.

"Let's say he does stay here for three more years," Donovan said. "I'm not going to spend the next three years of my life doing it this way. This is f****** miserable. I don't want to have soccer be this way."

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: Donovan rips Beckham
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 11:42:20 AM »
Palos

Grimm post a excerpt from the book here on mon...the thread get merged though. Its not donovan book but it kinda the same thing.

look the link

How Beckham Blew It
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 05:01:17 PM »
   Reply with quoteQuote
Here is an excerpt from a book being written about Beckham's time in MLS. I didn't see it posted already so have a look. WARNING: it long, but the behind the scenes wranglings are interesting.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/the_bonus/06/29/beckham.book/index.html?eref=T1

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 11:49:48 AM »
Donavan seem to be going chroo ah lil jealousy phase.  He hadda understand dat is so fitball does go.  If Beckam could go Italy and perform, den obviously de MLS might not be de right league for him....  Needless to say, I tink dat Donavan realize dat he is not de big boy nomore..  cyah pull no rank..  And ah realize he is ah boy like plenty attention too (Yuh never see how he does look for de camera when he kicking ah penalty, den stoop dong on de ball, den kiss it, den smile...all dem antics)  big steuppesssss......  How yuh goh vex wid Beckam for pouncing on de opportunity to stay longer in Italy?  He expect him to want to stay "home" like Donavan.....  de US is not home for Beckam, and dat imps hadda realize dat....and doh goh writing book and bitc$ing bout it

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 12:02:16 PM »
Donavan seem to be going chroo ah lil jealousy phase.  He hadda understand dat is so fitball does go.  If Beckam could go Italy and perform, den obviously de MLS might not be de right league for him....  Needless to say, I tink dat Donavan realize dat he is not de big boy nomore..  cyah pull no rank..  And ah realize he is ah boy like plenty attention too (Yuh never see how he does look for de camera when he kicking ah penalty, den stoop dong on de ball, den kiss it, den smile...all dem antics)  big steuppesssss......  How yuh goh vex wid Beckam for pouncing on de opportunity to stay longer in Italy?  He expect him to want to stay "home" like Donavan.....  de US is not home for Beckam, and dat imps hadda realize dat....and doh goh writing book and bitc$ing bout it
i feel with this book, he just wanna ride beckham back to have a big payday
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 12:14:41 PM »
Inexcusable for a player to air dirty laundry to the media in that fashion! Especially when Beckham is still his teammate!!!
Hart for president

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 12:17:52 PM »
Inexcusable for a player to air dirty laundry to the media in that fashion! Especially when Beckham is still his teammate!!!

Welcome to Hollywood.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 12:27:09 PM »
De ting is.....because of Beckham fame in proportion to his footballing ability, it would be quite easy fuh opposin players to hate on de guy, but players de world over have nothing but positive comments about Beckham.  Teammates from Man U to Real to Inter.  Opponents everywhere.  All say the same thing...the guy is genuine and they can't believe how much of a plain nice guy he is...especially with all the demands on his time.  He never seems to reject a request for an autograph.  And I is one who feel Beckham highly overrated from a footballing standpoint.

Now this lil prick come and talkin he talk.  There was always something about Landon Donovan I just didn't like.  Couldn't put my finger on it or why....it was just a vibe.  This just confirms it.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 12:36:01 PM »
They "forgot about the game, lost the hunger that got you the Rolex, the cars, the mansion."

Is OK for Roy Keen to blast Becks and others in the press but Donovan is out of line??? :timeout:

This is some serious News Of the World style journalism.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 12:37:08 PM »
I hadda say, I used to think Becks was overrated until he went to Real Madrid.
He still too good for the MLS, and the English game doh really allow him to be at his best, never mind all the trophies. Spain was probably the best ball he ever play.

Say what. All the ole talk about books and who committed and ting, that is for the media and the fans to act up. As long as men doing they wuk, they could be vex. If that translate to the field, then one of them will have to go, and yuh know they making more money for Becks than Donovan, so is he will be left behind to hear about how he Run Becks out of the MLS.

Say What, Ribery going Real Madrid. Maybe he feel he have a sweat waiting in Bayern
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 12:46:41 PM »
De ting is.....because of Beckham fame in proportion to his footballing ability, it would be quite easy fuh opposin players to hate on de guy, but players de world over have nothing but positive comments about Beckham.  Teammates from Man U to Real to Inter.  Opponents everywhere.  All say the same thing...the guy is genuine and they can't believe how much of a plain nice guy he is...especially with all the demands on his time.  He never seems to reject a request for an autograph.  And I is one who feel Beckham highly overrated from a footballing standpoint.

Now this lil prick come and talkin he talk.  There was always something about Landon Donovan I just didn't like.  Couldn't put my finger on it or why....it was just a vibe.  This just confirms it.

Plus from the excerpts ive read of the book, the author seems like he has an agenda against Beckham.
Hart for president

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 01:45:53 PM »
Can I say I am surprised? Typical! Just Typical. BTW controversey sells books.

Everywhere Becks has gone he has been the consumate professional and gentleman. Typical! Just Typical.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 01:49:22 PM by Cocorite »
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 02:17:52 PM »
I tell allyuh dem fellas is a bunch of cry babies. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 02:28:02 PM »
I want to see how this will play out.  Looks like Donovan pushing for Beck to ride out into the sunset.  On a serious note, if Becks is simply playing because he is contracted to the MLS, and doesn't have it in his heart to play in the U.S., he should seek a termination of the contract and go elsewhere.  He can still play in Europe for a decent team.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 02:53:30 PM »
From what i've read, I feel Landon talking the truth..but to air it in public just makes him an even worse teammate and leader than the guy who he is criticizing. He has potentially created an even bigger rift in the dressing room. And the timing of it is crazy. It would be one thing if he made those comments if it was clear Becks was never coming back, or if things were going to work out for Landon in the Bundesliga and he wouldn't have to deal with the Englishman (it woulda still be unprofessional, but i coulda better see why he fire de shot)...But it looks like he knows full well he has to play with Becks and he sees it as something he has to confront him about.

The auther Grant Wahl writes for Sports Illustrated and this book smells of either vendetta (like he personally trying to get back at Beckham for something)..or a push for stardom by writing something sensational. I surprised a current teammate would fall for that bait. The author must know by publishing a book with this kind of slant he was going to do a lot of damage.

For the mother of all conspiracy theories though...the timing of this book too suspicious. How is the 'Beckham Experiment' failed if it not over. How come the book coming out exactly on Becks return. What if this is just MLS drumming up some drama for the league and Landon and Beckham in on it. Nahhhhhh...never was a big conspiracy theorist..I feel Landon eat dat bait and I for one will be checking out Galaxy games just to see if is pure hate and they acting normal
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 02:55:33 PM by Filho »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 03:32:08 PM »
Donovan damn right!!! all dem english men does underate the concacaf region where football is concerned way too much.

yuh must go on some of the EPL sites and see how they talk bout U.S. football.

bekham not taking the galaxy serious! the whole fackin ting is ah joke for him.  allyuh must remember that donovan is ah committed fella tuh club and country!

dem americans always had tuh live under the shadow of the british as far as football is concerned, and i could only imagine how frustrating it must be tuh have ah has been washed out britt sh!t on yuh football and rub it in!

i'm sure americans like donovan is tired of being taken lightly in the footballing world and demands respect! that's why they took their game to another level, and it showed when they went one up on italy with ten men and defeating the euro champs in convincing fashion, while giving the brazil ah run for their money.

i'm in no wise ah fan of american soccer, and certainly not a fan of landon (radar) donovan, but he does have ah strong point.                          positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 03:49:05 PM »
Always knew Donovan was an ass ...he jes confirmed it....de jackass cannot see the bigger picture....before Beckham came de MLS couldn't find sponsors for teams....then Beckham came and his name was splashed all over the news causing the MLS to be in the spotlight and soon after all kind of business want dey name on shirt and associated with teams....and guess what Mr. Idiot Donovan it help keep yuh league alive. Now with regards to yuh team being so shiddy perhaps yuh need to tork tuh Mr. Lalas ent he was yuh general manager? Look the fact is that any good player will always opt to play for a better team (except christina ronaldina).
So it eh becks fault that no team want yuh.....

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 04:07:26 PM »
Always knew Donovan was an ass ...he jes confirmed it....de jackass cannot see the bigger picture....before Beckham came de MLS couldn't find sponsors for teams....then Beckham came and his name was splashed all over the news causing the MLS to be in the spotlight and soon after all kind of business want dey name on shirt and associated with teams....and guess what Mr. Idiot Donovan it help keep yuh league alive. Now with regards to yuh team being so shiddy perhaps yuh need to tork tuh Mr. Lalas ent he was yuh general manager? Look the fact is that any good player will always opt to play for a better team (except christina ronaldina).
So it eh becks fault that no team want yuh.....

Allyuh doh shame eh!! :rotfl:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 04:14:43 PM »
D fella was d starrrrrrrrrr b4 Becks now he is just a monstarrrrrrr.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 04:47:19 PM »
when donovan could put himself in the same league as beckham, then he could talk...otherwise he should keep his mouth shut
whey boy!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 05:44:17 PM »
Insecurity and Jealousy by Donovan....nuttin more.

He cyar tie beckham boots far less tote he jockstrap.

I ent saying Donovan ent good...but Beckham on another level.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 05:49:13 PM »

WAS...

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

giggsy11

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 05:49:34 PM »
I agree Beckham half arsed it and I have stated so before but it appears that Donovan saw an opportunity tuh get back at Beckham after seemingly being displaced. And all he did is confirm he is a little punk who does not have the guts that Beckham has tuh take on new challenges and succeed.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 05:59:13 PM »

WAS...

a beckham past his prime is still a better player than donovan  :-\
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 06:00:39 PM »

WAS...

a beckham past his prime is still a better player than donovan  :-\

Cosign
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 06:39:08 PM »
I agree Beckham half arsed it and I have stated so before but it appears that Donovan saw an opportunity tuh get back at Beckham after seemingly being displaced. And all he did is confirm he is a little punk who does not have the guts that Beckham has tuh take on new challenges and succeed.

haha..giggsy yuh real good. i remember yuh used to say he didn't have the guts to try new challenges. but wait, he went and try a new challenge..now he doh have the guts to try a new challenge AND succeed. oh gosh..jes admit yuh doh like de man nah  ;D

when donovan could put himself in the same league as beckham, then he could talk...otherwise he should keep his mouth shut

what dat have to do wit anything. cuz yuh good yuh have license to move like ah a$$? never understood the 'know yuh place' attitude.

Even if he is wrong about Becks, Donavan have all right to call him out bout things that bothering him...but not in a book and behind his back so. Daiz team business that need to be handled like mature adults behind close doors.   

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 06:48:07 PM »

haha..giggsy yuh real good. i remember yuh used to say he didn't have the guts to try new challenges. but wait, he went and try a new challenge..now he doh have the guts to try a new challenge AND succeed. oh gosh..jes admit yuh doh like de man nah  ;D

what dat have to do wit anything. cuz yuh good yuh have license to move like ah a$$? never understood the 'know yuh place' attitude.

Even if he is wrong about Becks, Donavan have all right to call him out bout things that bothering him...but not in a book and behind his back so. Daiz team business that need to be handled like mature adults behind close doors.   

Read some of beckham's quotes in a joke book ...dont blame Donavan for not trying to hold a conversation with him...then there's the accent .....
Seriously though Ah find allyuh hard on de man for de same reason dat we used to bash Dwight in the earlies...like yuh forgettin was de same ting ?
I ready to write a book on kenwyn now ...
Notice donavan never said becks eh good ...just dat he eh giving enough ..and not taking de team seriously ...knowing dem Yanks and knowing a bit bout becks ..donavan done tell him all dem tings to he face alrerady and Becks just smiled !

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 07:39:04 PM »

it have to do with everything.  If he was the same level, go for it Donovan, speak yuh mind; otherwise he'll just look bitter and jealous which others have already noted.  If Kaka start calling out Beckham, more people would pay attention for the sole fact they serious ballers.  Donovan trying to get he name out there. simple as that. ..but yeah he if really had concerns i agree, keep that for the locker room
whey boy!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 08:59:03 PM »

WAS...

Kicker yuh heart real dark dread....You only looking to Smallify Beckham

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 10:10:44 PM »
I know if I was paying Beckham dah kinda ah money , he wudda hah tuh be at every
facking game, every facking practice and wuss yet if he is meh capt and eh showing no leadership on and off the pitch ..fack he .Lalas is de worst GM in de history ah football .Me eh blaming Beckham, buh as much as ah hate tuh agree wid Humty Dumpty,he right .Yuh cyar be making all dah money and eh doing one facking ting fuh de team ....steupppss . Like ah say if was my money Beckham gone long facking  time ...in de fuss place ah wasn't paying dah kinda ah money fuh him. 
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2009, 05:05:04 AM »

well said.  :applause:

1]; } ?>