March 28, 2024, 06:08:37 AM

Author Topic: Thread for the St. Kitts vs T&T Game (12-July-2009).  (Read 8656 times)

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for the St. Kitts vs T&T Game (12-July-2009).
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2009, 10:15:39 AM »
trinidad is ah shit team. wc 2014 me say

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2009, 10:17:20 AM »

to me a penalty choke is usually one that misses the target completely

LOL really?  ;D  

I thought "choke" is just a slang to describe a situation where someone couldn't execute under pressure...whether the PK was saved, hit the post, or missed the goal completely, if the kicker would more than likely have scored the pk under less intense conditions, yuh could say that he "choked"...

From the highlights it looked as if he kinda telegraphed the shot, and the keeper made a good save.

Whether or not Baptiste choked is a guessing game on our part.  If he's ice cold from the spot in practice and hits PKs with more confidence & conviction under less intense conditions, yuh have good grounds for saying that he choked...but it's still a guess.  

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:18:54 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2009, 10:17:26 AM »
boy i see ah lil mexican score a penalty in ah NPSL league game out by me yesterday...if you see how hard da man kick that PK, Buffon woulda had to be standing straight up (and eh dive or nothing) for de ball to hit him to save dat PK.

not to bash Akile (again) eh, but nothing bout dat youth ever give me any indication that he could be a good (meaning international quality) midfielder, nothing! unless he confidence was totally shot under Pacho, we go see what Latas could do.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2009, 10:21:16 AM »

LOL really?  ;D  

I thought "choke" is just a slang to describe a situation where someone couldn't execute under pressure...whether the PK was saved, hit the post, or missed the goal completely, if the kicker would more than likely have scored the pk under less intense conditions, yuh could say that he "choked"...

From the highlights it looked as if he kinda telegraphed the shot, and the keeper made a good save.

Whether or not Baptiste choked is a guessing game on our part.  If he's ice cold from the spot in practice and hits PKs with more confidence & conviction under less intense conditions, yuh have good grounds for saying that he choked...but it's still a guess.  

Notice the words "to me" eh.  Well in my view that would be a half choke, half good save ;D

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2009, 10:23:34 AM »

LOL really?  ;D  

Notice the words "to me" eh.  Well in my view that would be a half choke, half good save ;D

lol seen  :D

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2009, 10:26:33 AM »
boy i see ah lil mexican score a penalty in ah NPSL league game out by me yesterday...if you see how hard da man kick that PK, Buffon woulda had to be standing straight up (and eh dive or nothing) for de ball to hit him to save dat PK.

not to bash Akile (again) eh, but nothing bout dat youth ever give me any indication that he could be a good (meaning international quality) midfielder, nothing! unless he confidence was totally shot under Pacho, we go see what Latas could do.

Considering he never played his position under Mats I could see that.  If you always seeing him at LB and not looking to good for various reasons more often you will not recognize the rare appearances of skill and talent that he has.  He is very good with the ball at his feet and not scared to make forward passes as Skilla seems to have become over the last 6-8 months.  Funny I hear all kinda excuses fuh Skilla being outta position and looking completely uninterested in imposing his will.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2009, 10:37:28 AM »
Breds a penalty miss...is a choke

It takes skill yes...one that is practiced...but it is SUPPOSED TO BE A GOAL.

Save, kick over, hit wide...you miss a goal from a set piece with no physical pressure.

I not saying it doh happen to the best...but for some they doh miss often if atall.

But those are special players that I doubt you or anyone else could see a legimate comparison to any of our current crop of local players.  I understand your view but unless he telegraph it and the kepper save it, I cah see dat as a choke.  Keeper have to make a decision before the ball kick so when they stop it I credit a combination of luck adn good technique to the keeper.

Breds I know we players not that hot on a intl scale but we ent dat shitty...and a penalty is a different skill.
It is all practice, technique and mental nerves.

If the man is a pro and the designated penalty taker for the side then he should know what he about.

We go agree to disagree...my view is a penalty = goal.

Additionally I doh give the keeper no pips in a penalty save...if the kicker hit it right, it ent have nuttin the keeper could do. All the keeper could do is flap and jump and move to psych out the kicker..but if the kicker know what he about...is goal. Most penalty miss is the kicker making the error.

But let me reiterate my original grouse...as with el salvador..a game is about momentum...when yuh have a side 2-0 and will make it 3-0 and kill a game. You make sure and handle yuh scenes or it will come back to bite yuh in yuh tail.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2009, 10:48:25 AM »

Save, kick over, hit wide...you miss a goal from a set piece with no physical pressure.

I not saying it doh happen to the best...but for some they doh miss often if atall.

But those are special players that I doubt you or anyone else could see a legimate comparison to any of our current crop of local players.  I understand your view but unless he telegraph it and the kepper save it, I cah see dat as a choke.  Keeper have to make a decision before the ball kick so when they stop it I credit a combination of luck adn good technique to the keeper.

Breds I know we players not that hot on a intl scale but we ent dat shitty...and a penalty is a different skill.

If the man is a pro and the designated penalty taker for the side then he should know what he about.I sure SJ thought he knew wha he was about too, these things does happen.

Additionally I doh give the keeper no pips in a penalty save...if the kicker hit it right, it ent have nuttin the keeper could do. All the keeper could do is flap and jump and move to psych out the kicker..but if the kicker know what he about...is goal. Most penalty miss is the kicker making the error.

But let me reiterate my original grouse...as with el salvador..a game is about momentum...when yuh have a side 2-0 and will make it 3-0 and kill a game. You make sure and handle yuh scenes or it will come back to bite yuh in yuh tail.

So when Jans Lehmann did it in WC06 after making note of the tendancies of the kickers, was that kicker error or a well prepared goal keeper?

Next question, how many PKs has Kerry missed while in this position on the NT?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2009, 11:07:23 AM »

If the man is a pro and the designated penalty taker for the side then he should know what he about.

Alotta penalties at the highest level (I might even say most of them) are not very well struck/placed for argument sake...Alotta times the keeper went the wrong way, get a finger to it etc..In fact, many times I wonder how highly paid pro players with such flawless technique don't score more convincing penalties- what you describe there is the unstoppable penalty...it does exist, but not as often, and clearly not as easily as you imply.  Even the PKs that Yorke rolls calmly and confidently into the net could be saved under different circumstances and with a different twist of fortune.  So even if the kicker knows what he's about, yuh still have the element of the unknown when it comes to PKs..... that's why a shootout is often referred to as a lottery.   7 outta 10 times Baptiste penalty woulda hit the net and we woulda walk away without a whisper.  That's just the nature of the beast. 

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2009, 11:32:31 AM »

If the man is a pro and the designated penalty taker for the side then he should know what he about.I sure SJ thought he knew wha he was about too, these things does happen.

So when Jans Lehmann did it in WC06 after making note of the tendancies of the kickers, was that kicker error or a well prepared goal keeper?

Next question, how many PKs has Kerry missed while in this position on the NT?

Ques 1)He did his homework on the habit of the kickers...and reduced the odds.

Ques 2)Considering he doh get to sweat that much and get to take penalties...from my recollection I would say this is his first and he was unsuccessful. ( Could be wrong though I await your answer to this stat)

Arghm your last question trying to do what...show that the man choke on his first penalty?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:34:50 AM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2009, 12:56:55 PM »
allyuh men really have no respect for keepers yes.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2009, 01:06:54 PM »
some ah allyuh men really have no respect for keepers yes.
fixed. I think touches see's them as cones on penalty kicks.  So if as a kicker you hit the cone then yuh choke. :devil:

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2009, 01:38:34 PM »
it looked like Guerra was about to collapse just after that chest bump @ 4:05. For goodness sake, please hit the gym, fellas.

1]; } ?>