April 16, 2024, 02:20:38 PM

Author Topic: Grave yard clubs  (Read 10716 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: Grave yard clubs
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
Newcastle Utd is the ultimate graveyard club.

Go there if you want your career to go into an unexplicable downhill spiral with injuries or loss of form the most common factors.

- Michael Owen
- Damien Duff
- Obafemi Martins
- Alan Smith
- Claudio Cacapa
- Albert Luque
- Jonas Gutierrez
- Geremi Nijtap

... all very good - excellent players in their own right before they went there and we stricken by 'the blight'.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2009, 11:51:23 AM »

Go there if you want your career to go into an unexplicable downhill spiral with injuries or loss of form the most common factors.

- Michael Owen
- Damien Duff
- Obafemi Martins
- Alan Smith
- Claudio Cacapa
- Albert Luque
- Jonas Gutierrez
- Geremi Nijtap

... all very good - excellent players in their own right before they went there and we stricken by 'the blight'.

Collocini...Decent Argentine international consistently looked lost in a Newcastle defense

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2009, 11:53:57 AM »

how come Shaka, Shearer and Solano never get the blight
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2009, 12:00:32 PM »

how come Shaka, Shearer and Solano never get the blight

speaking more about recent times, newcastle was decent back in the days of those players you call there..

bolton is a next graveyard side, although at least yuh have ah chance to resurrect there after yuh dead already, like okocha, nakata and ivan campo.

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2009, 05:00:05 PM »
Owen- Real Madrid

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2009, 06:11:35 PM »
Owen- Real Madrid

Nah....see Omar post. Newcastle blight dat more than RM. He left Real Madrid as one of the in form strikers in La Liga and a fan favorite. Poor start to the season was turned around with a strong second half and 13 goals in the league, 16 in all competitions. Not bad for someone who spent half the season on the bench. 2nd only to Ronaldo in the team and way ahead of Raul who got far more starts up front. Injuries really start to kill de man after he joined Newcastle But he at manU now..great chance for a resurrection.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2009, 06:25:19 PM »
ManU - Juan Sebastien Veron

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2009, 09:07:55 PM »

- Michael Owen
- Damien Duff
- Obafemi Martins
- Alan Smith
- Claudio Cacapa
- Albert Luque
- Jonas Gutierrez
- Geremi Nijtap

Add Viduka to that...and Guttierez

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2009, 07:25:57 AM »
Sunderland - Kenwyne  ;)
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2009, 11:07:47 AM »
Men like Rivaldo, Ljundberg, Blanc and Barthez don't belong on this list. Those guys already had long distinguished careers and were past their best. Kleberson just couldn't cut it there more than Man U being a graveyard club.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2009, 11:39:02 AM »
like newcastle win hands down
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2009, 11:46:51 AM »

- Michael Owen
- Damien Duff
- Obafemi Martins
- Alan Smith
- Claudio Cacapa
- Albert Luque
- Jonas Gutierrez
- Geremi Nijtap

Kluivert

Més que un club.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2009, 11:55:22 AM »
tall mexican striker borgetti. yo i 4get bout him dread what he up to now? damn d man self cant make the mexican national team?

He's 36 years old...

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2009, 11:58:13 AM »
true, but  wait 4 it wait 4 it, blanco is back on the team
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2009, 12:00:12 PM »
true, but  wait 4 it wait 4 it, blanco is back on the team

I think he stepped down from Int'l football...Not absoltutely sure but I think I remember reading that he wanted to make way for younger talent to come through the ranks. 

EDIT: just checked...He did step down after the 2006 WC, but the nat'l program has since contacted him due his club form...so you might be right....let's "wait 4 it"  ;D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:03:34 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2009, 12:01:37 PM »
k, i really think some of our players need 2 think so,if we have 2 lose with the young ones so be it,cause the older ones aint that much better

Online asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2009, 12:04:46 PM »
tall mexican striker borgetti. yo i 4get bout him dread what he up to now? damn d man self cant make the mexican national team?

He's 36 years old...

De man was on ah highlight reel within the last 2 weeks ... doh sleep.

Offline Mackie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2009, 12:35:22 PM »
Quaresma- Barcaleona

Roman Riquelme- Bracaleona

Beckham- Galaxy...for his time there

Kleberson- Man Utd

Berbatov- Man Utd

Rivaldo- Ac Milan

Klaus Huntelaar- Real Madrid

quaresma play for Barca???

Offline Mackie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2009, 12:37:15 PM »
Javier Saviola - Barcelona
Pongolle - Liverpool

Offline judge101

• Full Warrior
  • If it is to be, then it is up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2009, 07:15:09 PM »
Real Madrid

Beckam
Owen
Roberto
Baptista
Ronaldo
huntelar
Van der Vart
Canervaro

This stupid money hungry club keeps bleeding big names players for money and when there don with them no good team wants them.......that y they dont to good in uefa champs

next on there list
Chirtiano...i glad..he just playing 4 money and fame now
pepe
benzima
KAKA...HAVE MERCY real
and maybe ...RIberey

wise men talke because they have something to say,fools talk because they have to say something

giggsy11

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2009, 07:45:21 PM »
Quaresma- Barcaleona

Roman Riquelme- Bracaleona

Beckham- Galaxy...for his time there

Kleberson- Man Utd

Berbatov- Man Utd

Rivaldo- Ac Milan

Klaus Huntelaar- Real Madrid

quaresma play for Barca???

Yep, first side he left to play for.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2009, 07:52:04 PM »
what about fleckin Freddie Adu and the US Mens' NT - if that could qualify as a graveyard club.

The man/ boy shouldve remained an amateur and just revel in the hype, because that is all he had going for him.
He is the equivalent to JJ Reddick (Duke/ Orlando).

waste. of. effin. time.

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2009, 08:02:17 PM »
i eh go lie ah 4get bout quaresma.

Quaresma was then sold to FC Barcelona for €6 million. His stint with the Catalan side could be best described as luckless. In his debut season, he made 10 starts and 11 substitute appearances, scoring only one goal. In the final weeks of the season, he injured his right foot badly, forcing him to miss the 2004 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship.

During UEFA Euro 2004, he announced his refusal to play for Barça as long as Frank Rijkaard was in charge, incurring the interest of many other clubs

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2009, 08:51:23 PM »
ManU - Juan Sebastien Veron

and cue ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/jul/08/libertadores-estudiantes-juan-sebastian-veron

Estudiantes aim to graduate to continental success with Juan Verón

The revitalised club from the Argentinian provinces take on Cruzeiro of Brazil tonight in the first leg of the Copa Libertadores final

Estudiantes de La Plata have made it to the final of the Copa Libertadores for the first time in 39 years, and will face the Brazilian side Cruzeiro. This achievement is rendered all the more symbolic because back then the small club from La Plata – ie not from Buenos Aires – became the first in Argentina to truly command international attention for their victories on the pitch. "Our objective at the start of the season was to get to 15 July [the date of the second leg]," Juan Sebastián Verón tells me from the team camp on the eve of tonight's first leg. "Now, it's just one more step".

Verón – aka La Brujita, now 34 – the captain and absolute leader of this squad. Having picked up cups, trophies and medals all over Europe, the player at one time regarded as "best midfielder in the world" returned to his father's club, to his own first club, in 2006 and promptly led the rhythm section to win the Apertura – the Argentinian league. At the time his father, an emblematic figure in the infamous Estudiantes teams of the late 60s and early 70s, told me: "What's happening here is reminiscent of my time in that Argentina has been dominated by the big Buenos Aires clubs – and suddenly Estudiantes breaks that mould, challenges their supremacy."

Having crowned themselves with domestic glory, Estudiantes went on to the final of the Copa Sudamericana (a Uefa Cup equivalent), their appetite for international glory whetted. "It's not that we said, 'We're going after the Libertadores as a sole priority,'" Verón commented about this season, "but it's obviously an incredibly prestigious cup and one that in a way built the history of the club."

When Estudiantes won the Copa Libertadores in 1968, 1969 and 1970, they put Argentina on the world map. The then manager, Osvaldo Zubeldía, was a committed strategist for whom winning was all that mattered. Their matches were often violent and ended with fewer players on the pitch than started. Lovers of the lyrical, beautiful game accused them of being "anti-football". But in a nation of devotees of the ball, without question they represented the first series of important trophies in the association's cabinet.

Zubeldía was also a tactical innovator – he scoured the world and, aided by film footage, would practise set pieces, train his squad to play offside, and rehearse corner-kicks endlessly.

It is perhaps the curse of mankind, what Borges might describe as the Doctrine of Cycles, that history repeats itself and we are all doomed to relive the same set of experiences in an Eternal Return. Argentina's football tradition might have remained moulded by Zubeldía's pragmatic resultism were it not for the emergence of César Luis Menotti, who with another small club from Buenos Aires – Huracán – shifted this notion of football away from the bitter territorial battle and introduced short passes, ball on the ground, possession ballet as a means to victory.

Menotti's Huracán won, and Huracán have not known glory days such as those of the early 70s until this season when Angel Cappa, a Menottista to the bone, stunned the nation, reaching second place in the Clausura league (the other half of Argentina's split league season).

"In order to lose a final you have to get to the final," Verón tells me, (sounds like he listening to Landon Donovan interviews) aware that for Estudiantes history has been made no matter what happens over the next two matches. Verón's role in the last few years cannot be overlooked. He returned to the club a mature player who has rarely not been involved in winning.

"Maybe my first season at Sampdoria. And with Chelsea," he says when asked if he has ever not tasted glory. "I feel very proud of having lived and participated in important titles. Here, in England and in Italy. It's no mean feat. It's not easy to arrive at a team and win. A lot of things have to happen."

In Estudiantes' case it seems the main thing that happened was the arrival of Verón – he has become involved in financing some of the facilities and infrastructure for the academy, has a say in the squad and even, as close observers will have noted, asks for changes from the pitch. "They've all been challenges. I arrived here in 2006 and felt it was similar to what happened when I got to Lazio. After decades – I think something like 22 years – without winning anything, we won. I think it's about belief and desire.

"We've had amazing players here at Estudiantes over the past few seasons. [José] Sosa, who moved on to Bayern, Mariano Pavone, who is now at Betis, Marcos Angelieri who is now injured but ready to move to Europe. Once you have good players, you need a dose of good luck and the rest is getting into everyone's head the concept that a good squad can achieve anything."

Verón's new Estudiantes has had a string of young managers parade through the club. The current one, Alejandro (aka Alex) Sabella, had never managed before – his experience was mostly as assistant to Daniel Passarella – although his own style as a player was a more traditional short-passing No10. Sabella's lyricism was nurtured by a stint at Sheffield United followed by Leeds in the early 80s but he drew the line at joining Second Division Sunderland and cut his stay in England.  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl: once a shit side, always a shit side

"I think Alejandro has given us back some of that sense of sacrifice we needed as a team, as a group," Verón says. "When a new manager arrives the expectations grow, and in this case an important mood was developed, a sense of sacrifice."

In spite of Brazilian protests regarding tonight's venue – Argentina has a high incidence of swine flu deaths and Cruzeiro wanted the game moved in fear of the pandemic – Estudiantes will play in La Plata's shared stadium.

Here, they have not conceded a single goal during the Libertadores campaign. The laurels for this mammoth statistic belong to the young goalkeeper Mariano Andújar, Maradona's current favourite for the national squad and a graduate of the Huracán academy.

The semi-final against Nacional from Uruguay had little football on display, but then Verón had been injured for the second leg and without him the team struggles. Tonight the Little Witch will start and command his subjects from on the field. Will the football be beautiful or pragmatic? Does it matter? One of the heroes of yesteryear's Estudiantes, Oscar Pagnanini, told me some time ago: "People want to be entertained by football, and a very good way to entertain them is to bring the trophies home."

Nobody in Argentina who was watching football 30 years ago is immune to the legacy of the two most influential schools of football in the nation. Huracán are unanimously regarded as having played the best football this season, but by Cappa's own admission one of the only two times they struggled was against Estudiantes. Could it be that it falls upon Zubeldía's heirs to regain international prestige? Luckily we do not have to belong to a single tradition: we can aspire to them all.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2009, 12:12:39 PM »

- Michael Owen
- Damien Duff
- Obafemi Martins
- Alan Smith
- Claudio Cacapa
- Albert Luque
- Jonas Gutierrez
- Geremi Nijtap

pallix...check ur facts eh:

Owen - went down hill after leaving Liverpool and not sweating regular
Duff - went downhill under Mourinho after he switch from playing 2 wingers in his first season
Smith - Shite since Leeds and got worse when Fergie try to make him a midfielder
Geremi - ordinary player at boro and chelsea, get worse when he suddenly became a RB
Martins - still d same as when he was at Inter : brilliantly inconcistent, but not shite
Luque, Gutierrez, Coloccini and Cacapa - never get a chance to settle and the middle two looked good under Keegan

Blame my side for wasting money on ordinary players, but doh accuse us of ruining their careers.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2009, 10:14:12 PM »

- Michael Owen
- Damien Duff
- Obafemi Martins
- Alan Smith
- Claudio Cacapa
- Albert Luque
- Jonas Gutierrez
- Geremi Nijtap

pallix...check ur facts eh:

Owen - went down hill after leaving Liverpool and not sweating regular
Duff - went downhill under Mourinho after he switch from playing 2 wingers in his first season
Smith - Shite since Leeds and got worse when Fergie try to make him a midfielder
Geremi - ordinary player at boro and chelsea, get worse when he suddenly became a RB
Martins - still d same as when he was at Inter : brilliantly inconcistent, but not shite
Luque, Gutierrez, Coloccini and Cacapa - never get a chance to settle and the middle two looked good under Keegan

Blame my side for wasting money on ordinary players, but doh accuse us of ruining their careers.

well i was wondering how it take you so long to chime in..

at the most i could give yuh back Geremi and Smith but other than that yuh being subjective.

Duff didnt go no downhill under mourinho, being on the bench doesnt make a player a bad player. Even though Joe Cole and then the new formation was seeing him out of favor, he was still very highly rated when he left Chelsea for Newcastle.

Similarly, Owen wasn't no downhill when he arrived at Newcastle to much acclaim. He was still lethal in La Liga, except he was riding pine behind Raul. Why yuh think he was able to run allyuh pocket dry with that big salary?

Martins was much better at Inter, matter of fact he was showing the potential to be one of the top strikers out there which is why Arsenal was tracking him hard. He reach newcastle, and is only flashes, then next thing you know the medical staff forkin up he hernia injury diagnosis.. Then he riding pine behind a crock like owen.

As for the next four, "never get a chance to settle", is just ah nice way to shroud the fact that they reach newcastle and pop down.

Let me put it another way to you.

Name a player in recent times who went to your side and subsequently left with a higher value on the transfer market, or left as a better and more coveted player in the EPL.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2009, 12:04:13 AM »
Robert Pires - Villarreal

Christian Vieri - AC Milan

Name a player in recent times who went to your side and subsequently left with a higher value on the transfer market, or left as a better and more coveted player in the EPL.

Never thought of it that way in trute - only player to do that was probably Andy Cole, and that is not recent times. I don't know what it is wit Newcastle.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2009, 03:54:18 AM »
Robert Pires - Villarreal

Christian Vieri - AC Milan

Never thought of it that way in trute - only player to do that was probably Andy Cole, and that is not recent times. I don't know what it is wit Newcastle.

Grande...Pires is a big big player at Villareal. Instrumental in them finishing 2nd in la Liga 2 seasons ago and a big player in their challenge to play in Europe this season. Contrast him to Edmilson (ex-Barca) who went Villareal, never to be heard of again. Pires sweating right through and giving man-of-the-match performances regular. Where he really disappear is the international scene. Domenech drop de man cold

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2009, 05:26:39 AM »
lol allyuh making mi feel like i have bad memory yes, i 4get bout edmilson dread .man really disappear 4 tru

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2009, 06:19:22 AM »

Sebastien Bassong, Shay Given and James Milner

I not agreeing on the Martins thing tho.Martins is not a shite player,he just inconsistent and he was the same at inter.

Newcastle as a whole were on a downward slide from the time they put Souness in charge so I blame the managerial effect as opposed to the club. And your reasoning could apply to any side struggling in the lower regions of the EPL after being in the top 10.
With that reasoning you could call a side like Boro who had Mendieta,Maccarone and Rochemback or Sunderland since they in the EPL, all their players lose ratings.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

1]; } ?>