April 25, 2024, 10:41:08 AM

Author Topic: Wigan confirm Scotland bid  (Read 15339 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Wigan confirm Scotland bid
« on: July 07, 2009, 09:07:34 AM »
Wigan confirm Scotland bid
Latics boss looks to raid his former club for striker
By Richard Bailey (Sky Sports).

Wigan have confirmed that they have made an offer for Swansea striker Jason Scotland.

Latics manager Roberto Martinez knows all about the frontman from their time together at the Liberty Stadium and it now seems the Spaniard is set to raid his old club for the 30-year-old.

The Trinidad and Tobago international has top scored in each of his two seasons for the Swans and has a remarkable 53 goals from 105 games for the Championship club.

Swans chairman Hew Jenkins admitted earlier on Tuesday that he was expecting a bid from Wigan and he was ultimately proved right.

Scotland is untested at the top level of English football but has experience of playing in the SPL with Dundee United at the beginning of his career.

Martinez has already signed one of his former players after snapping up Jordi Gomez from Espanyol following a successful loan spell at Swansea last term where he scored 14 goals from midfield.

Wigan are looking to strengthen their squad ahead of the upcoming season and with the sale of Antonio Valencia to Manchester United providing Martinez with the funds he needs to build his team.
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Wigan confirm Scotland bid
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 10:11:48 AM »
Good luck Scotty, hope everything works out.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 11:39:29 AM »
good news
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 02:09:35 PM »
Steve Bruce showing love fuh CONCACAF ... ah kinda way.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 02:36:59 PM »
Steve Bruce showing love fuh CONCACAF ... ah kinda way.
I am not sure if you are talking about Sunderland, but Martinez took over Wigan.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 05:53:53 PM »
good news

It go b betta when he sign.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 12:18:45 AM »
good news

It go b betta when he sign.

lol weary yuh not easy...anyway i hope the deal come thru, cause what he has done in the chapionships in terms of goal scoring was very good..but if he can repeat it (or even do half of it) in the Premiership I will rate him very high..

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 08:16:09 AM »
Wigan closes in on Scotland

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/08072009/63/swans-considering-scotland-offer.html

Swans considering Scotland offer
Wed 08 Jul, 01:21 PM

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins insists striker Jason Scotland will only leave "when the deal is right" as Wigan close in on his signature.

The Trinidad and Tobago international has been the subject of constant speculation over the past few weeks and now looks likely to move to the JJB Stadium to be reunited with Roberto Martinez.

Wigan are believed to be close to matching the 30-year-old's £2million asking price, but Jenkins told the Western Mail: "We have always said we won't be bullied into letting our players go but I suppose, as things stand, it's very difficult to see Jason staying."

"Ultimately, he is still contracted to Swansea City though. And we have always said our players will only leave when the deal is right for us."

"We have received a formal offer from Wigan for Jason. We will consider the contents of the offer and respond accordingly within the next few days."

"We will speak to Wigan and talk things through. I won't give any indication of the fee, but I can say it is worth considering."

throw parties, not grenades.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 09:25:03 AM »
I've now got to support Wigan,bloody Wigan,I used to have one team QPR,but since Trinis playing up here I've got about 6 teams. 8)

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 06:04:23 AM »
Mike Berry strikes again. lol - check how the man low-balling Scotty.
Recession yes!!

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/09072009/58/premier-league-wigan-favourites-land-scotland.html

Premier League - Wigan favourites to land Scotland
Eurosport - Thu, 09 Jul 11:15:00 2009

Wigan remain favourites to sign Swansea striker Jason Scotland despite Premier League rivals Hull expressing an interest.

The Latics have lodged a bid with the Welsh club as manager Roberto Martinez looks to reunite himself with the Trinidad and Tobago international, who enjoyed a successful spell under the Spaniard at the Liberty Stadium.

Swansea have not yet accepted Wigan's offer but it seems only a matter of time before the move goes through - despite an inquiry from Hull.

"I spoke to Brian Horton and he asked me what the bottom-line price would be for Jason," Scotland's agent Mike Berry told the Hull Daily Mail.

"I said I thought a fee of £2 million would probably be enough to get him in.

"My belief was that he'd be ideal for Hull, but I expect the Wigan deal to go ahead now."

PA Sport
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline jimmel14

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 07:00:54 AM »
Jason Scotland's agent expects the Swansea City striker to sign for Wigan Athletic rather than Hull City.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_5422277,00.html

The Latics have confirmed they have lodged an offer for Scotland, with former Swans boss Roberto Martinez keen to link back up with the forward at the JJB Stadium.

Premier League rivals Hull are said to have joined the race to sign the Trinidad and Tobago international, who netted 24 goals last season.

But 30-year-old Scotland is poised to join Wigan, according to his representative Mike Berry.

"I spoke to Brian Horton and he asked me what the bottom-line price would be for Jason," Berry told the Hull Daily Mail.

"I said I thought a fee of £2million would probably be enough to get him in.

"My belief was that he'd be ideal for Hull, but I expect the Wigan deal to go ahead now."

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 07:09:21 AM »
I've now got to support Wigan,bloody Wigan,I used to have one team QPR,but since Trinis playing up here I've got about 6 teams. 8)

ah doh know nah someting bout d name wigan jus kinda lil poodunkish soundin  doh know much about d team though.........wigan :-\
I pity the fool....

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 08:12:26 AM »
Jason Scotland's agent expects the Swansea City striker to sign for Wigan Athletic rather than Hull City.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_5422277,00.html

The Latics have confirmed they have lodged an offer for Scotland, with former Swans boss Roberto Martinez keen to link back up with the forward at the JJB Stadium.

Premier League rivals Hull are said to have joined the race to sign the Trinidad and Tobago international, who netted 24 goals last season.

But 30-year-old Scotland is poised to join Wigan, according to his representative Mike Berry.

"I spoke to Brian Horton and he asked me what the bottom-line price would be for Jason," Berry told the Hull Daily Mail.

"I said I thought a fee of £2million would probably be enough to get him in.

Why Berry does be opening his mouth so?just now clubs wouid'nt want to deal with him.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 12:22:47 PM »
$2 million pound bid accepted.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 12:27:32 PM »
Lactics agree fee for Scotland
Skysports.com

Sky Sports News sources understand that Wigan have agreed a fee with Swansea for striker Jason Scotland.

The Latics confirmed earlier this week that they had made an offer for the Trinidad and Tobago international and a deal now appears close.

It is believed that Swansea have accepted a proposal of £2million from Wigan, with a three-year contract on offer for Scotland.

The 30-year-old striker has enjoyed two hugely successful seasons with the Welsh side, netting 53 goals in 105 matches.

Roberto Martinez brought Scotland to the Liberty Stadium after being impressed by his performances with St Johnstone.

Martinez was appointed as Wigan's manager earlier in the summer and has now raided his former club for Scotland.

The new Latics boss has already signed Jordi Gomez, who he also worked with at Swansea, and Honduran midfielder Hendry Thomas.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:49:19 PM by FireBrand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 12:29:23 PM »

Skysports.com: Sky Sports News sources understand that Wigan have agreed a fee with Swansea for striker Jason Scotland.

:applause:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline sebro2

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Swans accept Scottie bid
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 02:48:39 PM »
  http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5423273,00.html    just waiting to agree personal terms

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 03:03:48 PM »
time to do wat he normally does
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 03:15:10 PM »
According to a poster on a Latics forum Scottie was spotted moments ago at the JJB.  No wasting time, scottie wanted to sign da contract ah good few months now ;D

This was on the Mirror website
Owner Dave Whelan has told Egyptian striker Amr Zaki there is no chance of him returning to the club.

"It's all over with Zaki - full stop," he said. "I didn't even shake hands with him."

Scotty oust Zaki oui!!!

Wigan Athletic have had their bid for Swansea City striker Jason Scotland accepted according to reports this evening with the fee believed to be £2 million giving the Swans a healthy profit on the £25,000 they paid St. Johnstone 2 years ago.

Latics boss Roberto Martinez has already brought in one familiar face to him, with Jordi Gomez his first signing having played under him last season whilst on loan at the Liberty Stadium from Espanyol and now Scotland coming in shows Martinez is keen to keep faith with players who have performed for him in the past.

It is understood that the 30 year old Trinidad and Tobago international has agreed personal terms on a three year deal and all that remains is the official announcement that should come tomorrow (Friday).

Sources are giving conflicting reports on the terms but its in the region of 2-3M over 3 years with a $100,000 bonus for 10 or more goals

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 03:28:32 PM by Flickin Killa »

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 03:31:16 PM »
ah glad for scottie oui... that is what yuh called paying yuh dues... de man work he way all de way up!

good going... european competition next?
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 04:27:55 PM »
How many players in de premier now 3? Scotty, Carlos and Kenwyn,that could go up to 4 or 5 ....Samuel and Zamora?

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 04:37:06 PM »
How many players in de premier now 3? Scotty, Carlos and Kenwyn,that could go up to 4 or 5 ....Samuel and Zamora?
Rumor has it one of those three heading back to the Championship.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 04:39:21 PM »
Just got the inside word that Jason Scotland WILL officially tomorrow be announced as moving to Premier League Wigan for 2 million pounds to re-join former Swansea boss Roberto Martinez.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 04:44:18 PM »
Rumor has it one of those three heading back to the Championship.
Just back from the SMB, they said it's whitehead and murphy. yuh thing they gonna get rid of ah winger without proper back up? big clubs doh work like dat bro.

sunderland don't have anyback up wingers for malbraunce save carlos, so if stead was tuh sustain and injury, then who would replace him.

white head is ah CM and murphy ah forward/ midfielders and forwards both are easily replacable, but ah speedy right wing ? they come once in ah while.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 04:44:47 PM »

Skysports.com: Sky Sports News sources understand that Wigan have agreed a fee with Swansea for striker Jason Scotland.

:applause:

COSIGNNNNNNNN

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 04:51:19 PM »
great news :beermug:

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 04:58:20 PM »

ah doh know nah someting bout d name wigan jus kinda lil poodunkish soundin  doh know much about d team though.........wigan :-\
When ah studied in Manchester I used to visit ah fren out dey and we used to go Disco to look fuh ooman,but de ooman dem hugly tuh rass.

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 05:15:28 PM »
Imagine that eh, the man was considered not to be good enough for the spl and now the man in the epl. the stuff dreams are made of

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2009, 05:16:29 PM »

When ah studied in Manchester I used to visit ah fren out dey and we used to go Disco to look fuh ooman,but de ooman dem hugly tuh rass.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :devil:
I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 05:31:31 PM »
Imagine that eh, the man was considered not to be good enough for the spl and now the man in the epl. the stuff dreams are made of

He does only look bad 4 oui. :rotfl: If I eh laugh I go  :'(

1]; } ?>