April 26, 2024, 11:31:48 PM

Author Topic: Wigan confirm Scotland bid  (Read 15363 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Swans agree fee with Wigan
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2009, 06:22:31 AM »
Swans agree fee with Wigan
swanseacity.net

Swansea City has today agreed the transfer of striker Jason Scotland to Premier League Wigan in a deal worth around £2m.

The two clubs concluded talks this morning and Scotland is now free to join the Latics subject to the Trinidad & Tobago international completing a medical, agreeing personal terms and receiving the relevant work permit clearance .

"Obviously we are disappointed to lose Jason,'' confirmed Swans chairman Huw Jenkins. "But I think it was inevitable considering his age (30) and his burning desire to play in the Premier League while he has the chance.

"He will obviously be teaming up with Roberto (Martinez) again, but even if we hadn't had a change of manager I believe Jason would have moved up a league anyway.

"He made no secret of the fact that he wanted to play in the Premier League and everyone at the club believes he has earned that chance.

"To score 53 goals in two seasons says it all and on behalf of everyone connected with Swansea City I would like to thank him for his efforts.

"He has helped to push the club forward and we wish him every success at Wigan.''

While Scotland headed for Wigan for the customary medical, the Swans chairman assured the club's fans that together with new boss Paulo Sousa they are working flat out to bolster the squad before the new Championship season kicks off.

Having flown out for discussions with Sousa on their training camp in Portugal, Jenkins added: "The fans can be reassured that the manager and his staff are looking to strengthen as soon as possible.

"I can also assure our fans that all the funds received from the sale of Jason will be reinvested into the club by Paulo. We will endeavour to do that before the season starts.''

Swansea signed Scotland on a two-year contract from St Johnstone in the summer of 2007 after fighting off interest from a number of clubs and gaining a new work permit from the Home Office.

Scotland had scored 26 times for St Johnstone the previous season - taking his total to 33 goals in 66 League appearances - and was named in the SPFA's Scottish Division One Team of the Year, voted for by the managers.

He started his career in Trinidad & Tobago with San Juan Jabloteh and Defence Force before signing for Dundee United in August 2003 - only to be forced home after his work permit application renewal was turned down in 2005.

However a new application to play for St. Johnstone was approved and did enough to warrant a place in T&T's 2006 World Cup squad.

He finished his first season with the Swans as the top scorer in League One with 24 goals (29 in all competitions) and a place in the PFA Team of the Year. He was also crowned the club's Player of the Season by the fans.

Having signed a new contract last summer, he continued his rich goalscoring form in the Championship with a further 24 goals in all competitions last season to retain his place in ther PFA Team of the Year.

It prompted former Swans boss Roberto Martinez to declare: "Jason has proved what a deadly finisher he is in front of goal.

"He is a rare breed in the modern game. He is someone who relies on his raw talent and a magic touch to score goals. As well as his goalscoring prowess, his build up play is excellent.''

Scotland announcement
wiganlatics.co.uk

Wigan Athletic are delighted to confirm that the Club have agreed a fee with Swansea City for the transfer of Trinidad and Tobago international striker Jason Scotland.

The player has been given official permission to speak with Latics and he has been in Wigan to undergo a medical and discuss personal terms.

However, the transfer is far from complete and the player will not be unveiled until the situation over his permission to work in this country is resolved, and this could take some time.

The club cannot comment any further on the transfer until he is officially registered and confirmed as a Wigan Athletic player.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Wigan confirm Scotland bid
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2009, 06:40:28 AM »
All de best scottie. Glad for you....
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2009, 07:18:17 AM »
Congrats Scottie. You fully deserve it.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 07:26:40 AM »
good news..if Martinez gets wigan to play the brand he had at Swansea it will be good to watch their matches...l

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 08:49:30 AM »
At every level he's played, Scotty has proved the naysaysers wrong.. I'm backing him to repeat the feat in the premiership. Do what yuh normally does Scotty!

Melchiot excited by Scotland

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11682_5424458,00.html

Latics skipper backs potential new signing to shine

Wigan Athletic captain Mario Melchiot is excited by the proposed signing of Jason Scotland from Swansea City.

The Latics have agreed a reported £2million fee with the Swans for the striker, paving the way for talks and a medical at the JJB Stadium.

Scotland is set to become manager Robert Martinez's third acquisition since he took over at Wigan last month following the captures of Jordi Gomez and Hendry Thomas.

Ex-Swansea boss Martinez worked with Scotland at the Liberty Stadium, and Melchiot has applauded the Spanish coach's approach during the transfer window.

When asked if he was encouraged by the potential arrival of Scotland, Melchiot told Sky Sports News: "Yes, of course.

"He is a player that the gaffer has worked with. I am sure the gaffer won't bring just anyone in, he takes his time.

"He knows what he wants. We have a group that did well last season. To make sure we keep doing that we just need to add a couple of people of quality to the group."

Melchiot is also confident Trinidad & Tobago international Scotland will prove a hit in the Premier League.

He said: "When people make the step up like that I don't think they have in the back of their mind that they can't do it on the bigger scale.

"We need to make sure we are behind anybody that comes into the group. We need to help them perform as well as they can."

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 08:55:52 AM »
At every level he's played, Scotty has proved the naysaysers wrong.. I'm backing him to repeat the feat in the premiership. Do what yuh normally does Scotty!

Ent.  De man scoring 1 goal in every 2 games average 3 years straight and all in progressively tougher competitive play each year.  By the end of the season I expect Latics fans will be singing oh what a bargain Scotty was, much like the Swans!  My hope is that he devastate dem in the premiership and earn ah sweet (hopefully double or more in wages) 2 year extension after this upcomming season.  With Ronaldo gone, if Scotty and Ebanks-Blake can continue the magic they might be both challenging for golden boot at the end of the season.  Now wouldn't that be magical?!!!

Offline Texastrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 09:02:37 AM »
Congrats Scotty.  Hard wuk does pay off.  All ah want yuh to do now is score some more fuh we!

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2009, 09:05:08 AM »
golden boot? lets not get too excited now shall we . 10 goals should b a feat  to be ok with . more goals even better
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2009, 09:15:56 AM »
golden boot? lets not get too excited now shall we . 10 goals should b a feat  to be ok with . more goals even better

Like yuh lookin fuh ah Dave Jenny nomination aought?!!

Yuh notice I said if to start and finished off with "wouldn't that be magical?!!!" right?  Given his track record IF he can continue to raise his game to yet another level (and deliver another 20+ goal season), he should be right there among the challengers.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2009, 09:17:25 AM »
Another Trini in the EPL eh,well done to Scotland and please carry on scoring,show dem so and so how good Trinis are,next one Hyland,nuh so. 8) 8) 8)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2009, 09:20:23 AM »
Real good news.  I hope he scores 10 or more and gets that bonus.
It real good when a manager believes in a player.
All the best to Scotty.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2009, 09:26:26 AM »
Real good news.  I hope he scores 10 or more and gets that bonus.
It real good when a manager believes in a player.
All the best to Scotty.

It's even better when the team captain is fully behind the manager and believes in the approach.  A manager could believe in a player all he wants but if the team captain and other players not on board, dissension in the locker room could destroy team chemistry.  Luckily the Latics seem to have both going for them so Scotty should be able to fit right in easily.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2009, 09:31:37 AM »
how long we have to wait 4 ah we defenders to make it in d epl
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2009, 09:43:17 AM »

At de rate dem fellahs goin, it eh go be no time soon.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2009, 09:49:21 AM »
Imagine that eh, the man was considered not to be good enough for the spl and now the man in the epl. the stuff dreams are made of

And he still eh good enough for T&T....as I tip my hat, imagine that....imagine that.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2009, 09:51:10 AM »
We have stop putting men like me to "play backs" first.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2009, 10:01:26 AM »
the move all but done bcuz he agree a 3 yr deal but dont forget he does have issues with work permit. Unless the agree that he will be a guaranteed first team starter might be some problems but hopefully as we in the top 75 in the world it will be smooth sailing. Ah have him 4 15+ goals next season bcuz he does start slow. 10 by december and the "big" clubs go come in....**watch this space**

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2009, 10:05:22 AM »
the move all but done bcuz he agree a 3 yr deal but dont forget he does have issues with work permit. Unless the agree that he will be a guaranteed first team starter might be some problems but hopefully as we in the top 75 in the world it will be smooth sailing. Ah have him 4 15+ goals next season bcuz he does start slow. 10 by december and the "big" clubs go come in....**watch this space**

I doubt Martinez bringing him in to scrub pine.  Here is a player he is confident in and knows can score goals in his system.  So if anything Scotty will be a starter and in times when a change of pace is needed he will be subbed out.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2009, 10:26:03 AM »
the move all but done bcuz he agree a 3 yr deal but dont forget he does have issues with work permit.

Not quite sure how the UK work permit thing works, but Swansea is in Wales, so now that he's moving - does he require an English work permit, or is that covered in his previous documentation?

throw parties, not grenades.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2009, 10:27:38 AM »
Wigan have no startins striker since Mido and Zaki gone so Scotty will get a spot to make his own. Imagine by October he will be recognised as our number one striker because of a change of clubs and performances as opposed to the hype around Jones and the rep protecting John
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
he en sure to get a start bcuz most time 4 Swansea Martinez was playing Scotty alone up to with Nathan Dyer supporting and Dyer is a winger. So he still have to fight with Rodallega for the starting spot if Martinez decide to play with the same formation he had with Swansea. But ah think he will get it bcuz Wigan sign Gomez 2 and he was playing link man to Scotty as well. But it will be a good fight for places. Time 2 show Kenwyne what a premiership striker is.

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2009, 11:16:15 AM »
Congrats to Scotty and continue to play yuh brand. He could probably write a book after all is said and done and continue to have in-comings...congrats again solider!!
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2009, 11:32:49 AM »
Is who yuh truss fi put deh rite now. ;D

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2009, 11:57:31 AM »
Allyuh love to bring down men, boy. Sheesh. How Kenwyne reach in dis I'll never know.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2009, 12:10:04 PM »
play yuh fittball soldier

15 goals in all competions...ah taking bets
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2009, 12:13:21 PM »
Allyuh love to bring down men, boy. Sheesh. How Kenwyne reach in dis I'll never know.

I was wondering the same myself.  It seems that some here does cah resist an opportunity to compare and highlight negatives.

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2009, 12:22:35 PM »
He scoring more dan Owen!!! - jes throwing dat out dey...lol
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2009, 12:30:54 PM »
he en sure to get a start bcuz most time 4 Swansea Martinez was playing Scotty alone up to with Nathan Dyer supporting and Dyer is a winger. So he still have to fight with Rodallega for the starting spot if Martinez decide to play with the same formation he had with Swansea. But ah think he will get it bcuz Wigan sign Gomez 2 and he was playing link man to Scotty as well. But it will be a good fight for places. Time 2 show Kenwyne what a premiership striker is.

De fella wh scored 3 solitary goals?  Really?  If Zaki and Mido were there I would say ok but Rod?  Nah fella, he starting in front ah Rodallega every game.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2009, 12:35:33 PM »
doh hate on rodallega, de colombian have ah wicked free kick..

Scotty go hadda fight for he place. i wouldnt be surprised if Martinez draft in another forward or 2 with more pedigree. Surely he cyah be depending on them 2 forwards alone to score all the goals for a whole EPL season.

all the same, Scotty show nuff times he have de belly for de fight.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2009, 03:01:08 PM »
Scotland tempted by top flight
Skysports.com

Swans striker excited by move to Wigan

Jason Scotland admits the promise of the Premier League was always going to be too tempting to resist as he prepares to leave Swansea for Wigan Athletic.

The two clubs have agreed a fee for the freescoring front man as Scotland edges closer to a switch to the JJB.

Scotland proved to be one of the Championship's best front-men last season but will have to prove his worth at Wigan having made a step-up in class.

Keen to thank the Swans faithful for the support they have shown him over the past couple of seasons, the 30-year-old hopes he is leaving the Liberty Stadium with their blessing.

Premier dream
"It has always been my dream to play in the Premier League and I had to take my chance before it was too late," he told thisissouthwales.cu.uk.

"I've had a great two years at Swansea and I would like to thank the club for the opportunity they gave me.

"I think I've repaid them with a lot of goals.

"It was always going to be a tough job for me to follow in the footsteps of someone like Lee Trundle. But I think in the end the majority of the fans had a lot of love for me.

"I had a lot of love for them as well and I would like to thank those fans for their support. I was never going to please them all, but that's football."
Warrior Nation Member At Large

1]; } ?>