March 28, 2024, 04:19:45 AM

Author Topic: Wigan confirm Scotland bid  (Read 15210 times)

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
Re: Wigan confirm Scotland bid
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2009, 03:17:19 PM »
doh hate on rodallega, de colombian have ah wicked free kick..

Scotty go hadda fight for he place. i wouldnt be surprised if Martinez draft in another forward or 2 with more pedigree. Surely he cyah be depending on them 2 forwards alone to score all the goals for a whole EPL season.

all the same, Scotty show nuff times he have de belly for de fight.

Nah not hating, just stating 3 goals is not enough to be the automatic pic to start until displaced by Scotty.  If anything I think the position is probably open to be earned by either player (if Martinez sticks with the 1 forward setup).  I agree with the idea that he might bring another forward as it wouldn't be prudent to simply stick to those 2.  Martinez might do well to take a flyer on Martins if you ask me.  I honestly don't see them attracting top calibre forwards and Martins needs a place to ressurect his career.  If they got Martins they would have the perfect compliment in Scotty and Martins with 1 strong, good hold up play forward and 1 speedy well skilled forward.  Their defense and midfield are decent so all in all I can see them in the top 12 or so if they can find the net.  Advantage Scotland.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2009, 03:51:09 PM »
I guess he did not want to play against Newcastle....  :beermug:

This man is ah real ball ho... he aspire to much... 1st Div... Champ.... now EPL... steups... (Just Cool notice??? j/k)

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2009, 04:20:31 PM »
doh hate on rodallega, de colombian have ah wicked free kick..

Scotty go hadda fight for he place. i wouldnt be surprised if Martinez draft in another forward or 2 with more pedigree. Surely he cyah be depending on them 2 forwards alone to score all the goals for a whole EPL season.

all the same, Scotty show nuff times he have de belly for de fight.

Nah not hating, just stating 3 goals is not enough to be the automatic pic to start until displaced by Scotty.  If anything I think the position is probably open to be earned by either player (if Martinez sticks with the 1 forward setup).  I agree with the idea that he might bring another forward as it wouldn't be prudent to simply stick to those 2.  Martinez might do well to take a flyer on Martins if you ask me.  I honestly don't see them attracting top calibre forwards and Martins needs a place to ressurect his career.  If they got Martins they would have the perfect compliment in Scotty and Martins with 1 strong, good hold up play forward and 1 speedy well skilled forward.  Their defense and midfield are decent so all in all I can see them in the top 12 or so if they can find the net.  Advantage Scotland.
yea ball in Scotty court 4 real. But Rodallega only scoring 3 goals season gone happen bcuz he had to get acclimatised to playing in england. And the 3 goals came in three consecutive games. I think both ah them could play in the same team if need be. And Scotty have a pipe too so competition for free kicks too. All is well. Oh yea and Zamora going Hull bcuz Hull miss out on Scotty. Second choice to JS? Is he needed in the T&T team then? But thais 4 another time

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2009, 05:46:38 AM »
Scotland is set to become the Spaniard's third signing since he took over last month after midfielders Jordi Gomez, whom Martinez had on loan at Swansea last season, was bought from Espanyol and Honduras international Hendry Thomas arrived from Deportivo Olimpia.

The only delay in the transfer going through may be down to issues surrounding the 30-year-old's work permit.

"Wigan are delighted to confirm we have agreed a fee with Swansea City for the transfer of Trinidad and Tobago international striker Jason Scotland,'' said a statement from the Premier League club.

"The player has been given official permission to speak with Latics and he has been in Wigan to undergo a medical and discuss personal terms.

"However, the transfer is far from complete and the player will not be unveiled until the situation over his permission to work in this country is resolved, and this could take some time.

"The club cannot comment any further on the transfer until he is officially registered and confirmed as a Wigan player.''
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2009, 06:49:50 AM »
Scotland is set to become the Spaniard's third signing since he took over last month after midfielders Jordi Gomez, whom Martinez had on loan at Swansea last season, was bought from Espanyol and Honduras international Hendry Thomas arrived from Deportivo Olimpia.

The only delay in the transfer going through may be down to issues surrounding the 30-year-old's work permit.

"Wigan are delighted to confirm we have agreed a fee with Swansea City for the transfer of Trinidad and Tobago international striker Jason Scotland,'' said a statement from the Premier League club.

"The player has been given official permission to speak with Latics and he has been in Wigan to undergo a medical and discuss personal terms.

"However, the transfer is far from complete and the player will not be unveiled until the situation over his permission to work in this country is resolved, and this could take some time.

"The club cannot comment any further on the transfer until he is officially registered and confirmed as a Wigan player.''

This deal isn't completed yet? What's the hold up? Work permit?

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2009, 07:03:20 AM »

This deal isn't completed yet? What's the hold up? Work permit?

For all you know they could say he good enough for the Championship, but not for the EPL. For the brother sake, I hope the Bloke doh do that to him again...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Scotland on the brink
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2009, 05:15:00 AM »
Scotland on the brink
By Paul Kendrick (Wigan Evening Post)

Jason Scotland was today waiting to hear if his attempts to secure a work permit to join Latics have been successful.

The Trinidad and Tobago international has passed his medical and agreed personal terms on a £1.5m transfer from Swansea.

But his existing work permit cannot be switched from club to club, and he is hoping his application for a new one has been successful.

Scotland's agent Mike Berry expects today's hearing will be nothing more than a formality, which would leave only international clearance standing between the 30-year-old and his 'dream move' to Wigan.

Latics are hoping the player's record – he has scored 53 goals in just two seasons in South Wales – will hold sway with the committee.

And the player himself is hoping to be allowed to follow Dwight Yorke and Kenwyne Jones from the small West Indian island into the Premier League.

"It's been a long road for me but I have finally worked my way up," Scotland told the Evening Post.

"I remember sitting at home watching Dwight Yorke play for Manchester United and, before that, Aston Villa.

"As a young player I always had ambitions to play abroad, but not many players achieve that dream.

"Kenwyne Jones, Stern John and Shaka Hislop have also played at the highest level, and I am looking forward to being one of the fortunate ones to do that as well."

Scotland, right, has already followed in the footsteps of his heroes by playing for the Soca Warriors – the Trinidad and Tobago national team.

And he is hoping that by securing a move to the Premier League, he too can be a role model to some of the younger players back home in the Caribbean.

He said "I would like to think I am an inspiration for young players in the national team to try to follow.

"I didn't start at the top – I started at the bottom – and I worked my way up through sheer hard work.

"I hope people can look at that as the right way to do it, and think that if they too work hard it could happen to them one day as well."

After proving his scoring prowess under Roberto Martinez at Swansea, Scotland was linked with a move to Wigan almost as soon as the Spaniard departed last month.

The speculation was fuelled when the striker was left out of Swansea's pre-season tour of Portugal earlier this month with a groin problem.

Thankfully the problem is not a serious one, and Scotland aims to be fighting fit and raring to go come the start of the season.

He added: "I have been doing my rehab, and I should be fully fit very soon."

If the hearing goes in Scotland's favour, he will follow in the footsteps of Hendry Thomas and Hugo Rodallega, who have both been granted work permits to join them this year.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2009, 05:26:05 AM »
how long we have to wait 4 ah we defenders to make it in d epl

At de rate dem fellahs goin, it eh go be no time soon.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2009, 08:52:32 AM »
Scotland get de Permit!!!!

Scotland comes to England as Jason joins Wigan

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=660978&sec=england&cc=5901

Trinidad and Tobago international striker Jason Scotland is now a step closer to becoming a Wigan Athletic player after obtaining permission to work in the UK.

The player has now passed a medical at the club and agreed terms on a two year contract after Latics and Swansea City agreed a fee - believed to be in the region of £2m - late last week.

The move is still subject to being granted a visa and international clearance and Scotland could miss out on the club's forthcoming trip to Austria.

At an FA appeal hearing this morning, the 30 year-old was cleared to join Latics officially, and he is now free to become Roberto Martinez's third signing since returning to Wigan, following in the footsteps of Jordi Gomez and Hendry Thomas.

Scotland's goalscoring ratio over the last six years is an impressive 144 goals in 215 appearances for Dundee United, St Johnstone and Swansea City, for whom he scored 65 goals in 97 games.

Martinez said: "Jason is a natural goalscorer, I can't really put it any other way. Every manager wants a player who has that clinical ability to make something happen in the box, and Jason can do that.

"He is strong, very physical, and his feet can produce the magic ingredient every team needs in the box. This was always going to be a key signing for me.

"I have every faith he can make the step up to the Premier League and become a real cult hero at the Latics.

"I know from experience how the Wigan fans love a goalscorer. Graeme Jones, Andy Liddell, Nathan Ellington, Jason Roberts. I am confident Jason can be the next name on that list."

Scotland himself is delighted that the move has finally been sealed.

"I am so excited to get a chance in the Premier League," he said, "and I want to show the manager he has done the right thing by bringing me here.

"I loved my time at Swansea and I think I served the club well. I want to thank all the supporters down there, but a new chapter in my career starts now."
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 08:54:13 AM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2009, 08:53:13 AM »
Wigan close to Scotland signing  
www.BBC.co.uk
Page last updated at 14:40 GMT, Wednesday, 15 July 2009 15:40 UK

Wigan's £2m signing of Jason Scotland from Swansea has moved a step closer after the striker secured his right to work in the UK and passed a medical.

The transfer fee was agreed last week, but the two-year deal still depends on international clearance and granting of a visa to the Trinidad & Tobago star.

Scotland, 30, is set to become manager Roberto Martinez's third signing.

"Jason is a natural goal scorer, I can't really put it any other way," Martinez told the Wigan website.

"Every manager wants a player who has that clinical ability to make something happen in the box.

"This was always going to be a key signing for me. I have every faith he can make the step up to the Premier League and become a real cult hero at the Latics."

More to follow...

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2009, 08:56:49 AM »
 ;D
Same article...different headding

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2009, 09:25:11 AM »
Latics confirm Scotland capture

Visa must still be granted before the deal is complete
Last updated: 15th July 2009

Skysports

Wigan Athletic have confirmed the signing of Swansea striker Jason Scotland on a two-year contract, but a visa must still be granted before the deal is complete.
Roberto Martinez, who left Liberty Stadium to become Latics boss earlier this summer, agreed a fee between £2million and £3m with his former club for the Trinidad & Tobago international earlier in July.

However, it was still neccesary to receive clearance at a Football Association appeal hearing after being granted a work permit, which was successfully obtained on Wednesday morning.

Scotland's switch is still subject to the 30-year-old gaining a visa and international clearance, but Martinez is delighted to be on the verge of his third signing at the DW Stadium after already capturing Jordi Gomez and Hendry Thomas.

Natural goalscorer
The Wigan boss told the club's official website: "Jason is a natural goalscorer, I can't really put it any other way.

"Every manager wants a player who has that clinical ability to make something happen in the box, and Jason can do that.

"He is strong, very physical, and his feet can produce the magic ingredient every team needs in the box. This was always going to be a key signing for me.

"I have every faith he can make the step up to the Premier League and become a real cult hero at the Latics.

Experience
"I know from experience how the Wigan fans love a goalscorer. Graeme Jones, Andy Liddell, Nathan Ellington, Jason Roberts. I am confident Jason can be the next name on that list."

Scotland, who has passed his medical, is looking forward to life in the Premier League after impressing in the Championship last season.

"I am so excited to get a chance in the Premier League," he said, "I want to show the manager he has done the right thing by bringing me here.

"I loved my time at Swansea and I think I served the club well. I want to thank all the supporters down there, but a new chapter in my career starts now."
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:28:13 AM by royal »

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2009, 10:23:07 AM »
Martinez hails striker deal go-ahead

Clubcall

Wigan have confirmed the signing of striker Jason Scotland on a two-year contract from Swansea after he was granted a work permit.

New Latics boss Roberto Martinez returned to his former club to raid the Liberty Stadium for the 30-year-old Trinidad & Tobago international earlier this month. However the club had to wait before the successful application of a new work permit before they could finalise the move which is set to cost the club between £2million and £3m.

Scotland's arrival is still subject to the formality of him gaining a visa and international clearance, but Martinez is delighted with the capture.

He told the club's official website: "Jason is a natural goalscorer, I can't really put it any other way.

"Every manager wants a player who has that clinical ability to make something happen in the box, and Jason can do that.

Betfair is a bit different to your normal bookie; they actually want you to win. Instead of a bookmaker setting the odds, their customers do. That means you. And because you compete against each other, you get better odds. Up to 20% better odds in fact. You can either make a back bet (bet on who's going to win) or place a lay bet (bet against something happening). Betfair matches people on either side of the bet with the odds they agree. Simple. Use this £10 free bet and give it a try.

- clubcall

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline 7 blessings

• Lion II Zion
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2009, 01:11:03 PM »

Scotland Interview

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid13706332001?bctid=29614728001

was he just being humble or he ah little intimidated by the Premiership...I feel he have what it takes man, hope he believe in himself too!

All the best scotty
Jesus Christ died for us....now it's time for us to Live for Him

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2009, 01:19:51 PM »

Scotland Interview

was he just being humble or he ah little intimidated by the Premiership...I feel he have what it takes man, hope he believe in himself too!

All the best scotty

yuh know
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2009, 02:10:20 PM »

Scotland Interview

All the best scotty

yuh know

Nutten new, he does always talk like ah poh-me-one I find

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2009, 03:00:16 PM »

Scotland Interview

All the best scotty

yuh know

Nutten new, he does always talk like ah poh-me-one I find

I think he lacks proper training on how to deal with the mic. He will do well in the Prem. He knows that but talking infront of a mic isn't his strength.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:47:32 PM by Cocorite »
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2009, 05:12:34 PM »
congrats. just see interview on sky

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2009, 05:31:21 PM »
buss dem up in the EPL man
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2009, 05:59:29 PM »
hope this will help propel him to even greater heights.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2009, 06:05:40 PM »
Just saw it on sky sports news, so is it safe tuh say he signed?

on another note, scotty need tuh step up on his communication skills, BC he sound like ah real country bookie, i could barely understand ah word and i'm from the same country as him.

anyway congrats tough guy! hope yuh do well. make that money.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:34:22 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2009, 06:16:41 PM »
Interview of Scotland on Skysports http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5435426,00.html

congrats Scottie :beermug:

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2009, 06:27:20 PM »

on another note, scotty need tuh step up on his communication skills, BC he sound like ah real country bookie, i could barely understand ah word and i'm from the same country as him.

ayway congrats tough guy! hope yuh do well. make that money.
Nah man he really improve from a few yrs ago .am atleast he keeping it real ,with no fresh water accent .

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2009, 06:34:21 PM »
Nice ;D congrats to scotty... 2 premiership strikers maybe even 3 this must means goals in the Concacaf World Cup Qualifiers ::)...

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2009, 06:44:01 PM »
Nice ;D congrats to scotty... 2 premiership strikers maybe even 3 this must means goals in the Concacaf World Cup Qualifiers ::)...
2 + 2 eint always 4 .

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2009, 07:45:34 PM »

Nah man he really improve from a few yrs ago .am atleast he keeping it real ,with no fresh water accent .
Tuh tell yuh the truth, yuh doh need no accent tuh articulate your views, but ah fella could @ least sharpen up on his vocab especially when you're in the media spot light on a weekly basis.

the man talking like ah wallafield farmer, plus he's gobbling up his words. look how KJ does do his interviews, clean audiable and no UK accent.

BTW, what do you have against ah fresh water accent?! i most definatly have one, and that's BC i like doing it,#1, and #2 i was so exausted with ppl asking me to repeat my self when i came here, that i decided tuh speak like the romans.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:48:38 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2009, 08:09:09 PM »
is ah sweat

play yuh fitball
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2009, 08:19:38 PM »
if u n understand what scottie was saying then u not from here. tork done. he was jus using yuh know alot, maybe because he was nervous

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2009, 08:30:05 PM »

Tuh tell yuh the truth, yuh doh need no accent tuh articulate your views, but ah fella could @ least sharpen up on his vocab especially when you're in the media spot light on a weekly basis.

the man talking like ah wallafield farmer, plus he's gobbling up his words. look how KJ does do his interviews, clean audiable and no UK accent.

BTW, what do you have against ah fresh water accent?! i most definatly have one, and that's BC i like doing it,#1, and #2 i was so exausted with ppl asking me to repeat my self when i came here, that i decided tuh speak like the romans.
You live in Rome ?

1]; } ?>