April 26, 2024, 12:27:23 AM

Author Topic: Wigan confirm Scotland bid  (Read 15351 times)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Wigan confirm Scotland bid
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2009, 08:46:29 PM »
i trying to stay away from this accent thing, cause i may have to throw some salt water on some ppl. buh anyways scottie interview  skills improve from d last 1 i saw he still have some ways to go. the more goals he score the more interviews he will have to do and  the better he will get. so it goh.

big up to shaka by the way keeping it real  with yuh accent
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2009, 09:03:07 PM »
Just saw it on sky sports news, so is it safe tuh say he signed?

on another note, scotty need tuh step up on his communication skills, BC he sound like ah real country bookie, i could barely understand ah word and i'm from the same country as him.

ayway congrats tough guy! hope yuh do well. make that money.
Nah man he really improve from a few yrs ago .am atleast he keeping it real ,with no fresh water accent .
Tuh tell yuh the truth, yuh doh need no accent tuh articulate your views, but ah fella could @ least sharpen up on his vocab especially when you're in the media spot light on a weekly basis.

the man talking like ah wallafield farmer, plus he's gobbling up his words. look how KJ does do his interviews, clean audiable and no UK accent.

BTW, what do you have against ah fresh water accent?! i most definatly have one, and that's BC i like doing it,#1, and #2 i was so exausted with ppl asking me to repeat my self when i came here, that i decided tuh speak like the romans.

they paying the man to score goals not do interviews what really wrong with you at all..

the man did a decent interview, not because he eh water it down with 'mate' and 'gaffer' means its not articulate. I for one like the fact that he dont see the need to conform, i used to ketch nuff kicks off ah dwight in the earlies with his fake-ass freshwater accent and i glad to see scotland not going down that road because it comes off as pretentious if its not done right.

let the man boots do the talking.

ps: if yuh think scotty bad allyuh must take in ah jamie carragher interview.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:09:26 PM by dinho »

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2009, 09:09:08 PM »
what what Dwights favorite word ,when he just when over ?. My dad and I use to ketch real kicks of of him . It start with O .

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2009, 09:16:37 PM »

on another note, scotty need tuh step up on his communication skills, BC he sound like ah real country bookie, i could barely understand ah word and i'm from the same country as him.

Nah man he really improve from a few yrs ago .am atleast he keeping it real ,with no fresh water accent .
Tuh tell yuh the truth, yuh doh need no accent tuh articulate your views, but ah fella could @ least sharpen up on his vocab especially when you're in the media spot light on a weekly basis.

the man talking like ah wallafield farmer, plus he's gobbling up his words. look how KJ does do his interviews, clean audiable and no UK accent.

BTW, what do you have against ah fresh water accent?! i most definatly have one, and that's BC i like doing it,#1, and #2 i was so exausted with ppl asking me to repeat my self when i came here, that i decided tuh speak like the romans.

they paying the man to score goals not do interviews what really wrong with you at all..

the man did a decent interview, not because he eh water it down with 'mate' and 'gaffer' means its not articulate. I for one like the fact that he dont see the need to conform, i used to ketch nuff kicks off ah dwight in the earlies with his fake-ass freshwater accent and i glad to see scotland not going down that road because it comes off as pretentious if its not done right.

fuh real dinho..buh scottie rel swing and miss on the last question...he clearly din know what the interviewer meant by your strong attributes...

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2009, 09:27:42 PM »
no he didnt ,scoring goals thats all he does ,so he hopefully he could step up he said.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2009, 03:11:51 AM »

Like you does hang out with mary or what, how yuh so contrary? have you ever heard ah KJ interview, well it's ah far cry front mr scotty, carlos or dwight, articulate, proper, coherant,audible, and with no accent!

accent don't make ah fella articulate, take shaun fuentes forinstance, the man does talk with a trini accent , but he's audible and articulate , that's my point OMAR!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2009, 05:02:48 AM »
Scotland was just ah bit nervous in my opinion, is not like he does many on TV. I like his TV interviews (the few he has done) he tends to come across as a very genuine, likeable person. Definitely better than the usual monotone, lifeless and cliched interviews given by the majority of professional footballers.  I understood what he was saying. I agree that Kenwyne Jones (currently) and Shaka are/were the best at giving interviews. Stern and Lata's aint too bad either. Dwight....well he is proof that practice makes perfect (IMHO of course  ::) ).

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2009, 05:23:23 AM »

sound like you were gobling up your words ;D
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pictures of Jason Scotland's first training session
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2009, 05:54:13 AM »

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2009, 06:07:41 AM »
DREAM come through...........these boots were made 4 torking
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2009, 07:26:16 AM »

Like you does hang out with mary or what, how yuh so contrary? have you ever heard ah KJ interview, well it's ah far cry front mr scotty, carlos or dwight, articulate, proper, coherant,audible, and with no accent!

accent don't make ah fella articulate, take shaun fuentes forinstance, the man does talk with a trini accent , but he's audible and articulate , that's my point OMAR!

and my point is relax yuhself lil bit and be glad for de fellah instead of looking for the first opportunity to pick holes like ah hungry cobo. here is ah fellow trini who fight through all kinda adversity to finally make it to the top and yet your first comment on the matter is that he sound like a wallerfield farmer??

look at your posts, it dont exactly come across the wires in the queen's english but yet that doesn't take away from the content.. how yuh go feel if somebody tell yuh yuh soundin like ah doubles vendor from debe?

yuh heart dark or what?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2009, 07:42:38 AM »

He's also paid to be a professional athlete.  And part of being a professional athlete is being able to communicate effectively to the press.  He's not just speaking to a Trini audience- he's communicating to a global audience so he needs to make himself understandable to that audience.  I agree there is no need to lose a Trini accent to do so- but sometimes toning it down helps...ie. slowing it down a little, and speaking clearly....Trini coloquial dialect is quick and often muffled- and that's why even in the absence of slang it can be difficult for others to understand us....Shaka's accent for example is 100% Trini but he still tones it down by speaking alot slower and more clearly than he would in a casual setting amongst Trini counterparts...and it works well (he's 100 times a better speaker than Dwight Yorke). Kenwyne, Scott Sealy & McFarlane are others that do a good job of it...Latapy as well, except he could be a little less dead pan lol...

We too sensitive about this topic... I've spoken to Italians & Brazilians who say the same thing about their footballers- i.e. their inability to articulate themselves well... we wouldn't notice because we don't understand the language.  It's a normal thing in a sport consisting of a fair percentage of not-so-educated athletes....

That said I think Scotty did ok compared to some other times I've heard him speak......and I'm sure he will keep improving with more and more exposure.    
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 07:46:34 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2009, 08:31:47 AM »
kicker do english ppl adjust their accents? do scottish? NO i have to adjust my listening. so y is it that we have  to adjust how we speak.? u dont find something wrong with that? but my accent is part of my identity  and no matter what your accent is once yuh speak standard english  . ppl should be able to understand you.

shaka speaks much faster than the avg trini and sounds more trini than some trinis yet the  espn audience doesnt seem to have a prob.

ppl dont understand what i say sometimes and it has nothing to do with my accent. it has to do with the fact that speak fast and enunciate my words poorly. nothing to do with my accent

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2009, 08:43:19 AM »

He's also paid to be a professional athlete.  And part of being a professional athlete is being able to communicate effectively to the press.  He's not just speaking to a Trini audience- he's communicating to a global audience so he needs to make himself understandable to that audience.  I agree there is no need to lose a Trini accent to do so- but sometimes toning it down helps...ie. slowing it down a little, and speaking clearly....Trini coloquial dialect is quick and often muffled- and that's why even in the absence of slang it can be difficult for others to understand us....Shaka's accent for example is 100% Trini but he still tones it down by speaking alot slower and more clearly than he would in a casual setting amongst Trini counterparts...and it works well (he's 100 times a better speaker than Dwight Yorke). Kenwyne, Scott Sealy & McFarlane are others that do a good job of it...Latapy as well, except he could be a little less dead pan lol...

We too sensitive about this topic... I've spoken to Italians & Brazilians who say the same thing about their footballers- i.e. their inability to articulate themselves well... we wouldn't notice because we don't understand the language.  It's a normal thing in a sport consisting of a fair percentage of not-so-educated athletes....

That said I think Scotty did ok compared to some other times I've heard him speak......and I'm sure he will keep improving with more and more exposure.    

i see what you're saying, but my issue is that what is being suggested is that he was not communicating effectively in this interview or that he's not understandable to a global audience, which I categorically disagree with.

Some players are better interviewers than others and that's no surprise. I gave you the Jamie Carragher example and he is 100% english and i can tell u from first hand experience that even his fellow englishmen can barely understand him.

Look at Drogba, one of the best strikers in world football and yet i would put him exactly on par with Scotty as far as interviewing skills go. Sure they could improve a bit, but at the end of the day its really not that big of a deal.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2009, 09:36:38 AM »
what is being suggested is that he was not communicating effectively in this interview or that he's not understandable to a global audience, which I categorically disagree with.
Believe me. I've found discussions at numerous places across the web where the big joke is that NOBODY understands Scotty.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2009, 09:41:03 AM »
what is being suggested is that he was not communicating effectively in this interview or that he's not understandable to a global audience, which I categorically disagree with.
Believe me. I've found discussions at numerous places across the web where the big joke is that NOBODY understands Scotty.

If he scores goals no one will care.  Anybody who pretendin to be from Trinbago dat eh understand him should get bannished from TnT shores.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2009, 10:00:04 AM »
i say all who have a problem with the man accent , post a clip of urself talking and let we see how good u does express urself and explashiate. 

congrats to scotty...now i have another team to take in this season.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2009, 10:44:26 AM »
congrats scotty!

cool accent...doh lose dat eh.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2009, 10:49:57 AM »
Congrats Scotty...make the best of the opportunity!!!

As we on the topic of accent, I didn't see the interview but I found this one with him last season and from listening to him, I think he needs to just slow down a little, enunicate his words some more and he'll be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROwA0c0FasI

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2009, 10:50:51 AM »
i say all who have a problem with the man accent , post a clip of urself talking and let we see how good u does express urself and explashiate. 

I don't recall anyone saying they have a problem with his accent...see how allyuh like tuh start ting.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2009, 10:58:32 AM »
kicker do english ppl adjust their accents? do scottish? NO.

You stay there and feel so....

I bet you alotta those Scotsmen (and even Englishmen) you hearing doing interviews would be damn near incomprehensible on a Friday night in the pub...  Ever hear a convo between two Scotsmen with thick accents...when yuh do, come back and talk tuh meh.  It's pure noise when they start going back and forth at speed....and trust meh, plenty o' dem Scottish ballers talkin' just so in the midst of their local element. 

p.s. I never said he had to adjust his accent per se...I talked about toning down the dialect by speaking abit slower and more clearly.  That's a normal thing for all cultures speaking publicly even many Americans particularly from Southern & rural areas...It's not just Trinis...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 11:02:34 AM by kicker »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2009, 11:01:37 AM »

i see what you're saying, but my issue is that what is being suggested is that he was not communicating effectively in this interview or that he's not understandable to a global audience, which I categorically disagree with.

Some players are better interviewers than others and that's no surprise. I gave you the Jamie Carragher example and he is 100% english and i can tell u from first hand experience that even his fellow englishmen can barely understand him.

Look at Drogba, one of the best strikers in world football and yet i would put him exactly on par with Scotty as far as interviewing skills go. Sure they could improve a bit, but at the end of the day its really not that big of a deal.

seen  :beermug:

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2009, 11:23:48 AM »
He's also paid to be a professional athlete.  And part of being a professional athlete is being able to communicate effectively to the press.  He's not just speaking to a Trini audience- he's communicating to a global audience so he needs to make himself understandable to that audience.  

I don't think that communication is necessarily a part of being a professional athlete.  It's a bonus for sure: all else being equal an athlete that communicates well is preferable to one who doesn't.  The fact that he is still maintaining employment in that profession means that the relevant decision-makers value the pros of employing him more than the cons.

who knows, Scotty might be more marketable if he was more easily understood or conversely (perversely?) it might detract from his charm.  In any case, being marketable is hardly a moral obligation.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2009, 11:31:23 AM »

Lil experience.
I remember explaining to a young welder a particularly difficult stainless steel weld he had to make, we were in a shutdown and every hour outside of the time we were given would have cost the company something like 1/2 mill USD.
This is in Trinidad , the fella start to talk to mih and the green verbs start flying out he mouth and ah start to wonder ." This fella understand anything ah tell him , how he come so highly recommended? What to do ?
Tell him doh bother and try somebody else ?
To cut a long story short the fella make a boss weld in record time , I have never seen anything like it since, he now works wherever he wants for big big money , actually I think he is working in a new nuclear plant in the UK.

The point I'm trying to make is that Scotty getting paid to play football not to make interviews as if he is Obama. He talk with any accent he want and feel that attribrute is ah new kinda cologne if he want as long as he scores goals.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2009, 11:35:04 AM »
He's also paid to be a professional athlete.  And part of being a professional athlete is being able to communicate effectively to the press.  He's not just speaking to a Trini audience- he's communicating to a global audience so he needs to make himself understandable to that audience.  

I don't think that communication is necessarily a part of being a professional athlete.  It's a bonus for sure: all else being equal an athlete that communicates well is preferable to one who doesn't.  The fact that he is still maintaining employment in that profession means that the relevant decision-makers value the pros of employing him more than the cons.

who knows, Scotty might be more marketable if he was more easily understood or conversely (perversely?) it might detract from his charm.  In any case, being marketable is hardly a moral obligation.

True & I don't expect his transfer price, or his wages to be a direct reflection of his ability to communicate publicly... but yuh can't ignore the aspect of his everyday work...it just comes with the territory.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2009, 11:39:26 AM »

I don't recall anyone saying they have a problem with his accent...see how allyuh like tuh start ting.

just kidding bro.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2009, 11:55:11 AM »

just kidding bro.

:D  :beermug: 

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2009, 12:48:35 PM »

Lil experience.
I remember explaining to a young welder a particularly difficult stainless steel weld he had to make, we were in a shutdown and every hour outside of the time we were given would have cost the company something like 1/2 mill USD.
This is in Trinidad , the fella start to talk to mih and the green verbs start flying out he mouth and ah start to wonder ." This fella understand anything ah tell him , how he come so highly recommended? What to do ?
Tell him doh bother and try somebody else ?
To cut a long story short the fella make a boss weld in record time , I have never seen anything like it since, he now works wherever he wants for big big money , actually I think he is working in a new nuclear plant in the UK.

The point I'm trying to make is that Scotty getting paid to play football not to make interviews as if he is Obama. He talk with any accent he want and feel that attribrute is ah new kinda cologne if he want as long as he scores goals.

Ah like this. The main purpose of his job is to score goals. But most people here are probably a lil embarrassed by his representation of Trinis.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Martinez: I've Scot the lot
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2009, 12:58:26 PM »
Martinez: I've Scot the lot
By Paul Kendrick (Wigan Evening Post)

Roberto Martinez reckons his Wigan squad now boasts 'different options and different dimensions' after securing the signing of Swansea striker Jason Scotland.

The Trinidad and Tobago international was granted a work meeting at a hearing yesterday and is now only waiting for international clearance before he can turn out in a Latics shirt.

As a result, he will not feature in tonight's opening pre-season friendly at Crewe, although the new boy would not have been risked anyway after suffering of late with a groin problem.

And Martinez is far more concerned with what the 30-year-old will be able to contribute against Premier League defences with the new campaign now less than a month away.

Martinez told the Evening Post: "You can never have enough good players in your squad.
"I'm excited about the different options and the different dimensions we have with Jason's signing.

"Until you get all the paperwork signed, there is always a little bit of anxiety, but there is a great sense of 'job well done' about us now.
"He is a goalscorer, and they are hard to find.

"He relies on his technical ability to score goals, he is pleasing on the eye and his goalscoring record over the past few seasons speaks for
itself.

"Our strike-force is starting to look strong now, and the challenge for us to try to give him good enough service to allow him to score the goals I know he can.

"Players who rely only on their physical attributes can sometimes find it harder to score at the highest level.

"But if Jason is on top of his game, he will score at any level because he can play in more than one style and his game is suited to the Premier League.

"We are looking forward to welcoming the final six mmembers of the squad back today, which will allow us to work towards August 15 and the first game at Aston Villa.

"The players will hopefully create a very competitive environment and the people who deserve to play will be playing."

The returning players the Wigan boss was referring to – Lee Cattermole, Maynor Figueroa, Hugo Rodallega, Hendry Thomas, Won-Hee Cho and Richard Kingson – were given extra time in the summer because of international
commitments.

As a result, they too will be given a watching brief as Martinez takes charge of his first game at Crewe – although the Spaniard insists the result will pale into insignificance compared to the real benefits of raised fitness levels and match sharpness.

He said: "It's purely a fitness exercise – I don't really consider it to be a game.
"It's part of our pre-season, and it's going to help us to lift the players to a different level.

"We have been doing a lot of aerobic work so far, but probably after the Crewe game we'll be able to change that.

"It will just be a good opportunity to get everyone out there on the pitch, doing what they love doing which is playing football.

"But we're not ready to be playing 90 minutes, in a match situation, although it's always a good way to carry on with our preparations during the pre-season spell."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2009, 01:25:15 PM »
I wonder if Scotty and Kenwyne Jones make a wager yet on who scoring more this year?
I know who my money on, cause Scotty probably score more goals last year alone than all Kenwyne goals combined since he became a striker in England.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

1]; } ?>