March 28, 2024, 10:31:36 AM

Author Topic: Racist attack in British Colombia caught on video  (Read 2968 times)

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Racist attack in British Colombia caught on video
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:13:51 AM »
Three arrested in attack posted on YouTube

By Brennan Clarke: The Globe and Mail

Victoria — Last updated on Tuesday, Jul. 07, 2009 10:33PM EDT

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/three-arrested-in-attack-posted-on-youtube/article1210121/

When a truckload of young men drove past his apartment building hurling racial slurs and threats in his direction Friday night, Jay Phillips reacted the only way he knew how – by fighting the way his mother taught him.

They were yelling “ ‘we're gonna lynch you, we're gonna kill you, get out of our effing town.' I'd never seen these guys before in my life,” said Mr. Phillips, who describes himself as half-black and half-white.

“So I called back ‘eff you too.' They turned the truck around and got out and surrounded me with their fists up.”

“They were saying ‘this is a white town and you and your whole race aren't welcome here.' ”

The confrontation and subsequent assault, filmed and posted on YouTube by an unidentified neighbour, shows three fit, young Caucasian males attacking Mr. Phillips in the parking lot of his Courtenay, B.C., apartment complex.

After taking turns swinging and missing for a minute or so, one of the attackers tries to kick Mr. Phillips, who deftly knocks him to the pavement.

All three men then jump Mr. Phillips, punching and kicking him as he lies on the ground in a fetal position. At several points, the attackers can be heard yelling racial slurs at him.

Mr. Phillips then struggles to his feet and fends off the assailants for another minute or so, landing a few punches before the three men jump in the truck and drive off.

Mr. Phillips, who escaped with two stitches above his right eye and a couple of bruised ribs, said Tuesday the incident is yet another example of the racism he's battled all his life, despite being a born and raised in B.C.

He said he remembered being four years old in preschool and his teacher telling him to shut up, using a racial epithet.

“From that moment on, I was changed,” he said.

“My mother went and broke that teacher's nose.”

Comox Valley RCMP Constable Tammy Douglas said Tuesday three men aged 19, 24 and 25 have been arrested and charged with assault in connection with the attack on Mr. Phillips.

One of the accused was arrested on the weekend, while the other two turned themselves in Tuesday, she said.

Police refused to release the names of the three men, saying the investigation was continuing and charges had yet to be forwarded to the Crown. Investigators are considering adding a hate-crime designation but that would not change the fundamental nature of the charges, Constable Douglas said.

“They will still be charged with assault. But if it's a hate crime they might get a stiffer sentence,” she said.

“There's elements of the offence that appear to be racially motivated, but that determination won't be made until all the evidence has been collected.”

Comox Valley officers investigating the case are “liaising” with the RCMP's B.C. hate crime team, Constable Douglas added.

Witness Heather Zygarlicki, a resident of the building, said the men were “definitely making racial remarks” during the attack.

“We went out when we heard the commotion and we were yelling at the guys to get lost,” Ms. Zygarlicki said. “We're all disgusted by it, that's for sure.”

While others would have run away, Mr. Phillips said he's had a “hard life” and learned how to stand up for himself along the way.

“When four guys surround you with their hands and fists, that to me is go-time,” said Mr. Phillips, who has taken some mixed martial arts training.

“There's a lot of young kids like me out there and I don't want this to happen to any of them. I want everybody to know, we completely will not tolerate this kind of thing.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theglobeandmail.com%2Fnews%2Fnational%2Fbritish-columbia%2Fthree-arrested-in-attack-posted-on-youtube%2Farticle1210121%2F&feature=player_embedded&v=MAJ3amqyVuE
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 01:17:18 AM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Racist attack in British Colombia caught on video
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 02:49:13 AM »
westcoast, what you teaching your sons, fella?

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 06:00:11 AM »
Oh! :o Canada   :'(
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 07:21:57 AM »
Shit like this only happens in the USA, that is in Virginia, they surely made a grave mistake, accents f**ked up and all....this cyar be in Dutty and West Coast's Canada!

NEVER!

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 10:24:16 AM »
This will be a bellweather case. Despite the statements of witneses and clear use of the word 'nigger' in the video the police chief is sayng that it is not a hate crime  :o because they are not believed to be affiliated with hate groups. And their names have not yet even been released to the public. Maybe they are protecting some police officer's or bigwig's child?

Stay tuned!

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 10:30:39 AM »
i like how dem skinny white boys pushing each other.

"you go."

"no. you go."

they eh only ignorant racists. they is pussies too.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 10:39:56 AM »

"you go."

"no. you go."

Yuh see it? They embarrass themselves. They go make a tasty prison meat doh.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 11:26:31 AM »

"you go."

"no. you go."

Agreed. Three against one, which is cowardly enough, and dem fellas still afraid to throw the first punch.

Punks.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 12:25:02 PM »

"you go."

"no. you go."

Agreed. Three against one, which is cowardly enough, and dem fellas still afraid to throw the first punch.

Punks.

There was a dog in there also... euthanize them all!

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 06:17:52 PM »
steups dem getting no more than 6 months and probation..is Canada where they does cover that kinda shit up, is not the US fella.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 06:23:50 PM »
steups dem getting no more than 6 months and probation..is Canada where they does cover that kinda shit up, is not the US fella.

boy pull U ass eh!

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »

Steups they not even charged yet, just arrested

truetrini

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 07:38:10 PM »
Canada is ah damn third world nation, backwards as hell

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 07:39:05 PM »

boy pull U ass eh!

That is Canada's national sport ent?  Pulling ass.....whatever  damn racist nation :rotfl:

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 08:12:36 PM »

boy pull U ass eh!

That is Canada's national sport ent?  Pulling ass.....whatever  damn racist nation :rotfl:

boi pull you ass eh!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 08:32:41 PM »
yuh see dis is why america is de greatest country on de earth
dem half ass canadian  cyah even commit to ah proper racist beating

If it was virginia dey woulda beat de man to within ah inch of he life, then tie him to de back of the truck and drag him dong de road and then sen he family a weekly klan newsletter.....after dey shoot hm of course a card carryin  yankee racist does always carry guns on dey truck

yuh cyah beat yankee for commitment and follow through....dem canadian is real shitong

oh by the way did I mention a unicorn came up to my car in traffic this morning,yup, ate a carrot fom my hand an all
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 09:00:05 PM »
Dem thing could happen anywhere in any country...T&T and all.  De man knew some mixed martial arts but dem thing doh help vs a group.  Proper Martial Arts does train yuh to eliminate de opposition one by one - eyes, throat and balls in no special order.  Allyuh people should put yuh youths in Martial Arts.  My son reach to a purple belt with two bars in Donjitsu.  I hope he never have to use it in a situation like this.  Dotishness does follow yuh sometimes.  Yuh doh have to go looking for it.  Is a real sad situation.  Outside Micky D's no less.  Dat was no country road.  I wonder if dem fellas was acting up as part of a gang initiation. 

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 09:15:32 PM »
Dem thing could happen anywhere in any country...T&T and all.  De man knew some mixed martial arts but dem thing doh help vs a group.  Proper Martial Arts does train yuh to eliminate de opposition one by one - eyes, throat and balls in no special order.  Allyuh people should put yuh youths in Martial Arts.  My son reach to a purple belt with two bars in Donjitsu.  I hope he never have to use it in a situation like this.  Dotishness does follow yuh sometimes.  Yuh doh have to go looking for it.  Is a real sad situation.  Outside Micky D's no less.  Dat was no country road.  I wonder if dem fellas was acting up as part of a gang initiation. 
yeah good advice......i learn n*ggarati growing up in pinto.. it save meh life from all dem bad  westmoorings fellas.

talking bout trini steups ....trini have real real problems eh... i have never heard of a group of people gaining up on a person of another group to beat him or her.....maybe 1700ish?

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 06:03:20 AM by Organic »
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

truetrini

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 09:55:20 PM »
yuh see dis is why america is de greatest country on de earth
dem half ass canadian  cyah even commit to ah proper racist beating

If it was virginia dey woulda beat de man to within ah inch of he life, then tie him to de back of the truck and drag him dong de road and then sen he family a weekly klan newsletter.....after dey shoot hm of course a card carryin  yankee racist does always carry guns on dey truck

yuh cyah beat yankee for commitment and follow through....dem canadian is real shitong

oh by the way did I mention a unicorn came up to my car in traffic this morning,yup, ate a carrot fom my hand an all

hahahahahaha good attempt, yuh mixing Virginia with texas doh...try reading more, but tehn again yuh is ah canuck...dat too hard.

unicorns are as real as canada;s serenity and racial equality.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 10:49:52 PM »
dem is genuine Cunumunu
day couldnt stay home an wallow in the fact that they chupid no armen
nah man....day had to come out in public and prove it to the world
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 08:42:02 AM »

dais d shit right dey self, add straight an' hammer punches solar plexus an' chest, stump kicks to d knees/inner thigh an' u good to go, but but dat fella had d rite idea against multiple target u ha' to keep movin, an try to stay on u feet
I pity the fool....

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 06:14:51 AM »
three cowards .. dey musbe foreign because Canada is a land of milk and honey ... hole on, ah coming back  .. . that dam unicorn scratching at the back door again ... steups
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

1]; } ?>