April 29, 2024, 12:55:33 AM

Author Topic: Baptiste's goal gives T&T 3-2 win over St Kitts.  (Read 5848 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Baptiste's goal gives T&T 3-2 win over St Kitts.
« on: July 13, 2009, 06:34:17 AM »
Baptiste's goal gives T&T 3-2 win over St Kitts.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago’s Senior footballers were given a fair enough challenge on Sunday night in Basseterre as they pulled off a 3-2 victory over St Kitts/Nevis courtesy of a 72nd minute from Joe Public striker Kerry Baptiste.

The victory was the first for Russell Latapy since he took over the reign of the National Team but he would have preferred it to be a much easier one to attain and it should have been just that after the “Soca Warriors” surged to a 2-0 first half lead and should have been three up before half time had it not been for a missed penalty by Baptiste who was partnered up front by Devon Jorsling from the start.

Latapy felt good about the victory in the friendly international but added that the bigger focus remained on August 12 against El Salvador.

“It was a good exercise for us. We needed to play in a competitive environment and I needed to see what level a few of my players were on at the international stage. I was quite happy with some of the areas of play we had in the game but obviously there are some areas we need to improve on and we will work on rectifying this in the near future,” Latapy told TTFF Media.

“The focus remains on August 12 and I will now assess what happened here in tonight’s game and then we will continue to work ahead of the game against El Salvador. St Kitts did have a pretty decent run and I say congrats to them because it meant we didn’t have a stroll in the park today.

“We will now go back to the training ground and continue working hard and prepare ourselves to try and win on August 12,” Latapy added.

Playing on a hard surface at Warner Park, the visitors took early control of proceedings as the St Kitts team were more intent on trying to play the quick ball in and hope to get over the T&T back line which was marshaled by Radanfah Abu Bakr on the evening and well supported by Keyeno Thomas, Kern Cupid and Aklie Edwards. Captain Trent Noel led the team from the middle of the park alongside Ataullah Guerra, Hayden Tinto and Hughton Hector who made his senior international debut. Both Guerra and Abu Bakr also got their first senior international goals for T&T.

St Kitts actually had the two opening tries at goal but neither troubled goalkeeper Marvin Phillip while on the other end Tinto had an effort over bar from way out on the right and Guerra had a weak effort wide of the near post following a good penetrative run down the left channel.

St Kitts forward George Isaac was the familiar face to the T&T players having played in the T&T Pro League but despite a few quick surges and a busy-like appearance of the hosts they never had T&T under pressure.

The opening goal came in the 23rd minute when a right side corner by Baptiste fell perfectly for Abu Bakr to clinically side foot past goalie Akile Byron from just inside the six yard box. Then seven minutes later T&T doubled their advantage when a right side cross was partially cleared and Ataullah Guerra hit a one time right footed volley from just on the edge of the 18-yard box low into the net with Keyeno Thomas getting a faint touch on the ball as it made its way goalwards.

T&T were cruising at that stage but an all too familiar occurrence as they failed to finish off the opponents and subsequently allowed them back into the affair. And some doubtful calls by hometown referee James Manhew didn’t help T&T by any means.

It begun with Baptiste’s penalty which was pushed onto the crossbar by Byron moments before the break.

W Connection and St Kitts’ Gerard Williams was their most dangerous player on the evening and he had a one time effort which flashed past Phillip’s goal in the 45th.

St Kitts were not prepared to go down without a fight and pulled a goal back in the 48th minute when a ball was floated over from the left deep into the area and was nodded back in to the feet of Ian Lake and he wasted little time before slamming into the net from close range.

The equalizing goal had a better build up to it and Gerard Williams got behind of the T&T defence in the 62nd minute to pick up possession and turned well before firing low past Phillip from just atop the six yard. It sent the home fans wild and suddenly St Kitts were now hopeful of a victory on the evening.

But T&T kept its composure and didn’t go into a panic mode. Midfielder Clyde Leon was introduced along with Andre Toussaint while Latapy also made an appearance in the 74th minute, replacing Guerra.

The eventual winner came when Edwards made his way up the left, evading a couple challenges in the process before squaring for Baptiste to nail home from close up in the 72nd minute. The same Baptiste also missed a sitter after Toussaint, who initially decided against shooting from a point blank range, instead choosing to pass for his teammate who dragged his effort wide.

Overall, the encounter proved to be a good workout for the “Soca Warriors” but was certainly not one which should have required the extra work for the win.

T&T: 1.Marvin Phillip, 4.Radanfah Abu Bakr, 5.Keyeno Thomas, 14.Kern Cupid, 3.Aklie Edwards, 8.Trent Noel (capt), 13.Ataullah Guerra, 10.Hayden Tinto, 12.Hughton Hector, 9.Devon Jorsling, 12.Kerry Baptiste.

Subs Used: 7.Russell Latapy, 11.Andre Toussaint, 2.Clyde Leon.

Videos

See Game Highlights

Latapy's post game comments
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 06:59:02 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Baptiste's goal gives T&T 3-2 win over St Kitts.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 07:01:13 AM »
poor game by the locals.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:03:28 AM by royal »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 07:31:49 AM »
AGAIN...watch the Timing of the St. Kitts first goal...min 48.

Like we head does be up in we arse all the time or what?

ALways at the beginning of a half or the end of a half side does catch we sleeping.

Anyways on a positive note...our coach has notched his first win in charge.

Well done coach...on to a better and stronger friendly.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 07:41:13 AM »
Maintaining concentration has been a problem of ours since strike squad days
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 08:00:15 AM »
why the hell latapy insist on playing i hope he don't sub him self in against el salvador
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 08:09:03 AM »
Maintaining concentration has been a problem of ours since strike squad days

too much trinis on a team does always lead to this... any and everywhere in the world

true story
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 08:17:10 AM »
why the hell latapy insist on playing i hope he don't sub him self in against el salvador

probably to do some on-the-field coaching. 

I doubt he'd sub himself in, in a competitive match.  His comments would indicate that such is not a realistic, nor wise option....(knock on wood). 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 08:44:02 AM »

probably to do some on-the-field coaching. 

I doubt he'd sub himself in, in a competitive match.  His comments would indicate that such is not a realistic, nor wise option....(knock on wood). 

I doh think so. His comments indicate that he really dont want to play...but if he has to he will...(at least to me.) If it not going to happen in a competitive match den why bother doing it in a friendly match or one that is supposed to be preparation for a competitive match?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 10:57:08 AM »
Ah like how Latapy politely called the ref a ole tief...

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
“It was a good exercise for us. We needed to play in a competitive environment and I needed to see what level a few of my players were on at the international stage

I thought warmup games didn't matter...

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 12:04:32 PM »

Where you see dat?
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 12:21:42 PM »

Where you see dat?

Check the Latas interview...

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 03:10:45 PM »

Perhaps he exercised the option of demonstrating/coaching by example.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 07:04:54 PM »
LATAPY
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 07:08:58 AM »
Fellas FYI....

I had to make a call to a friend in St Kitts to get the T&T squad numbers and line up.... if anyone can confirm the subs and time they came on that would be appreciated.

RE:

T&T: 1.Marvin Phillip, 4.Radanfah Abu Bakr, 5.Keyeno Thomas, 14.Kern Cupid, 3.Aklie Edwards, 8.Trent Noel (capt), 13.Ataullah Guerra, 10.Hayden Tinto, 12.Hughton Hector, 9.Devon Jorsling, 12.Kerry Baptiste.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 07:29:22 AM »
Look like Bleeder and Wolfe is not Latapy's friends anymore in favor for Tinto and Baptiste... People have to remember you have to be "friends first" to play for latapy  ::)

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 07:31:57 AM »

Where you see dat?

Help mih out quote de quote

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 07:45:23 AM »
Fellas FYI....

I had to make a call to a friend in St Kitts to get the T&T squad numbers and line up.... if anyone can confirm the subs and time they came on that would be appreciated.

RE:

You should e-mail Shaun Fuentes as ask him as I am sure he will co-operate. ?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 08:06:28 AM »

Where you see dat?

he was basically commenting on the "frustrating" calls from the referee, and he asked that in the interest of these games benefitting both teams, that they need to make sure that that "playing field is even"...

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 09:30:40 AM »
Fellas FYI....

RE:

According to the commentators, which means nothing, since they got the name of the 3rd goal scorer wrong twice, there was

yellow card for Abu Bakr, 67'

a goal keeper substitution Williams in for Phillip around 70'  right before the 3rd goal

yellow card for Guerra 73'
Latapy subbed in right after that 74' but don't know for who

They said Adams came on for Edwards in the 82'

There were other subs, but I missed them.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 09:34:13 AM »

I did... and it was fruitless.....

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 09:34:31 AM »
Fellas FYI....

RE:

According to the commentators, which means nothing, since they got the name of the 3rd goal scorer wrong twice, there was

yellow card for Abu Bakr, 67'

a goal keeper substitution Williams in for Phillip around 70'  right before the 3rd goal

yellow card for Guerra 73'
Latapy subbed in right after that 74' but don't know for who

They said Adams came on for Edwards in the 82'

There were other subs, but I missed them.

Thanks e-man...

Offline 7 blessings

• Lion II Zion
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 09:43:02 AM »
looked like latas came on to do some on the field coaching as someone previously suggested...Saw him definitely coaching Toussaint on the field in the highlights. This is something he would not be able to do in a real game. Sometimes the best way to correct players technical deficiencies is while it in display in a competitive situation. Training does not always bring players weaknesses to the forefront but real time game play does.
Jesus Christ died for us....now it's time for us to Live for Him

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 10:39:12 AM »

I did... and it was fruitless.....

Well I am very surprise. Maybe Shaun should be working for the Punch instead.

Honestly, I hope it was a good excuse he made becuase I don't see the big deal...    :devil:

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 01:17:28 PM »
St. Kitts falls in strong showing against Soca Warriors
By Ryan Haas (SKNVibes.com)

BASSETERRE, St. Kitts-THE St. Kitts-Nevis national football team stormed back into action Sunday night (July 12) as they were barely edged out in a very competitive match against Trinidad &Tobago’s Soca Warriors.

International football had largely fallen to the wayside in St. Kitts-Nevis due to the administrative impasse in the national association that took place during 2008-2009, with the last national level matches played taking place nearly a year ago at the Digicel Caribbean Cup.

Sunday night’s 3-2 loss to Soca Warriors thoroughly proved however, that the Sugar Boyz had not lost their fervor for the game during the extended vacation.

The match started off with Trinidad dominating the ball control through the first half. The first goal came at 21 minutes when the visitors’ Kerry Baptiste beautifully setup up a rocket inside the six-yard box for Radan Fah Abu Bakr.

Six minutes after the opening goal, Soca Warriors struck again when a long distance lob from Atulla Guerra was tipped in by Keyeno Thomas.

The prospects were beginning to look grim for St. Kitts-Nevis when Baptiste earned a penalty kick just before halftime. Thanks to an off-target shot from the Trinidadian and a fine piece of goal work by Akile Byron, however, the shot pinged loudly off the crossbar and St. Kitts received a much needed boost in morale.

The Sugar Boyz came out in fighting spirits in the second half, and in the 47th minute Ian ‘Rumpy’ Lake picked up a deep pass to slam in his team’s first goal of the game.

St. Kitts-Nevis trailed Trinidad & Tobago 2-1 for the next 15 minutes, but was able to successfully cut short several openings for the favoured squad.

In an unexpected burst of brilliance in the 62nd minute, Gerard Williams outpaced Trinidad’s defenders in the box before firing a low-flying shot to equalise the score.

Though the home crowd cheered loudly in support of St. Kitts- Nevis, Baptiste was eventually able to redeem himself from his missed penalty kick in the first half as he scored the game winning goal for his team in minute 71.

The Soca Warriors’ victory was an important first for new Head Coach Russell Latapy as he begins the final preparations for the team’s upcoming match against El Salvador in the final round the CONCACAF World Cup Qualifier.

Though St. Kitts-Nevis lost the match, President of the St. Kitts-Nevis Football Association Anthony Johnson said it was a good return to international football for the team.

He added that the exciting matchup would no doubt further the buzz surrounding the National Super League Playoffs, which kickoff this Thursday (July 16) at Warner Park.

Photos by Saju Ng’alla

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 01:50:37 PM »

Where you see dat?

he was basically commenting on the "frustrating" calls from the referee, and he asked that in the interest of these games benefitting both teams, that they need to make sure that that "playing field is even"...

Thanks bro , the Turks blocking all kinda sites so ah could not open up his comments

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 02:23:04 PM »
from the pic it looks like #14 needs bigger shin pads
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 04:20:39 PM »
Just watched the highlites of the "game" if yuh want tuh call it that. them young trini's is really lacking quality, bad bad bad!

i don't know for the life of me how kerry baptise got a call up on this squad, the fella is total garbage! lord , even scott sealy would put this guy on the bench in any team situation.

latas , ah beggining tuh resent yuh team selection policies! yuh kinda reminding meh of ah certin columbian fella who does mine horses. get it fixed!! before yuh become public enemy #one!!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 05:44:22 PM »
Marcos..why de #14 need bigger shin pads ??..was not the britz we played
that Trent Lougheed ..de U-20 striker...as far as i know
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 07:18:49 PM »
Marcos..why de #14 need bigger shin pads ??..was not the britz we played
that Trent Lougheed ..de U-20 striker...as far as i know

d #14 is Kern Cupid BM

1]; } ?>